Auburn Hires Will Muschamp As Def Co

Curious to see how recruiting is effected by this move. UF will lose some and AU will bring in a few from that class. SECw should be on alert.

They weren't already?

You tell me. As a fan of the greatest program of all-time, does AU put a scare in you?

Seems to me, they have always been little brother. Going into this years game, AL fans gave AU no shot. They were correct, but give that "O" scheme a "D" with a pulse and you have the making of something on the verge of being great. But what do I know. I only live here.

You tell me. As a fan of the greatest program of all-time, does AU put a scare in you?

Seems to me, they have always been little brother. Going into this years game, AL fans gave AU no shot. They were correct, but give that "O" scheme a "D" with a pulse and you have the making of something on the verge of being great. But what do I know. I only live here.

I was just saying it's not like this makes the SEC West difficult. It already was. AU is almost always a tough out because of how emotionally charged the game is, especially on their end. Certainly it is circled by Alabama, but "Beat Bama" is painted on the walls of their facility. Any year they have a pulse, you can guarantee a max effort out of them. And this year saw a senior QB and inconsistent WR play the best game of their careers. Anything can happen

Does Muschamp to AU scare me? Not really. He may prove to be an improvement over Ellis Johnson. He may not. He's certainly a better recruiter. It will take AU at least 3-4 recruiting classes of actually giving a shit about defense to get the kind of depth he'll need to be able to rotate as much as the Gus' offense will dictate. I don't expect him to be there long enough to reap those benefits. Their defense will be better because it can't be much worse. And Carl Lawson is potentially a game changer on the DL if he's back to full strength. But Muschamp had talent on the defense at UF. Alabama had 672 yards of offense. Scored 37, 38, and 42 last three games against him. The Texas score is certainly misleading, because they held on really well until Gilbert completely fell apart. But I don't think Muschamp is any better at defense than Kirby Smart. Lane Kiffin seems to be a pretty good OC, so while AU seemingly got better, I'm not saying it's better than what's already in place in Tuscaloosa. The rest of the division and conference won't sit idle either. The stakes are increasing every season, so will the measures taken by each school to give it's team the best shot at winning

Possessing the ball 2/3 the game will help rack up yardage. As inept ad UF's "O" is, it is surprising they had the ball that long. It was UF' s "D" that helped provide short fields and keep them in the game early.

Saying he "may" improve AU's "D" is like stating it "may" be hot in hell. Noone will truly know until experienced, but I think it is safe to say that it will be.

Possessing the ball 2/3 the game will help rack up yardage. As inept ad UF's "O" is, it is surprising they had the ball that long. It was UF' s "D" that helped provide short fields and keep them in the game early.

Saying he "may" improve AU's "D" is like stating it "may" be hot in hell. Noone will truly know until experienced, but I think it is safe to say that it will be.

Like I said, it really has nowhere to go but up. And Muschamp is no doubt a good coordinator. But so was Ellis. I think Gus' offense puts a unique pressure on their defense. He may have to give a little on the pace to give the def a better chance. Will he do it? I don't know. AU has some talent on defense, but not a lot of depth. Their current recruiting class doesn't appear to address those needs, as 2/3 of it is offense. My point being that the amount of time it may take Muschamp to build a truly elite unit is longer than he'll be there. He is like Kiffin in the sense that they are where they are to rebuild their reputation and gain a little more experience for their next head job.

Will he make AU better? Almost certainly. Doesn't mean that I'm any more or less worried as an Alabama fan. We're pretty good too.

Agree with all the above. By the way, whenare you going to post again? Used to double up on bets when I was on the same side as yourself. Bowl picks?

Agree with all the above. By the way, whenare you going to post again? Used to double up on bets when I was on the same side as yourself. Bowl picks?

Might do some bowl picks. As I mentioned back in august, have a lot going on in personal life, not much capping or wagering. The only consistent thing I've done is a weekly pick em league. Incidentally doing better in than I've ever done. Should have some down time over the holidays and no travel, so may jump back on the horse.

Back