Atlantic Division Talk

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
Power balance shifted big time from the Northeast Division to the Atlantic divison without a doubt as they could very well send 4 teams to the playoffs this year. Seeding being what the guys in this division are playing for come next April. <O:p</O:p
<O:p
Pittsburgh</ST1:p Penguins<O:p</O:p</B>
<O:p</O:p
Don’t need to say much about the offensive speed the Penguins possess. It’s pretty well known that Crosby is the next big thing, signing him to an extension was huge this summer while allowing room to bring back Gary Roberts, who with a full season with the kids will only help the team that much more.

<O:pIn my opinion the Penguins failed to address their biggest need in the summer, their lack of depth on the blue line showed in the playoffs and having toughness in Laroque on the front line doesn’t make any difference when trying to clear room out for Fleury who had a break out season after finally given a chance.

<O:pNo impact lost in the off-season will only help the Penguins compete for a division title this season. But the question remains, and needs to be addressed are they playoff ready?

<O:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City w:st=
<b><font face=" /><st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:p<FONT face=Verdana>New Jersey</ST1:p</st1:State><FONT face=Verdana> Devils<O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana><O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>Gone are Rafalski (<st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pDetroit</ST1:p</st1:City>) and Gomez (Rangers) and Lukowich to greener pastures, and in are Zubrus (Sabres), Vishnevsky (Thrashers) and Rachunek (Rangers). Not much will change with the Devils style of play as Lamarillo brought in the right guy who is molded for the Devils in Brent Sutter, a defensive minded coach, much like the other Sutters. As is always the case, as Brodeur goes, so go the Devils. They brought in Weekes to back up Brodeur this season as well and could give him a little more rest at times. <O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana><O:p<FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT face=Verdana>I think the other teams in the <ST1:pAtlantic</ST1:p got exponentially better, while the Devils remained somewhat stagnant. After the top line with assuming Parise fills in Gomez’ role the depth is as usual lacking a scoring option.
<FONT face=Verdana><O:p</O:p<ST1:p<FONT face=Verdana>
<st1:City w:st="on"><FONT face=Verdana>Philadelphia</ST1:p</st1:City><FONT face=Verdana> Flyers
<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT face=Verdana>As the saying goes, what a difference a season makes. Or an offseason in this case makes. After their worst season in franchise history last year the Flyers have totally overhauled their lineup while keeping a young nucleus of speed and skill intact. Adding a guy like Briere always will help a lineup, but doing it while also adding Scott Hartnell, Kimo Timmonen and a couple ex Oilers in Smith and Lupol you have yourself a team to contend with.
<FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT face=Verdana><O:p<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>A full season without goalie worries can only help the Flyers as Biron has been saying he’s a #1 goalie and this is his chance to show that. Having what I consider one of if not the deepest blue line in the Eastern Conference can only help the way the Flyers play this season.
<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><O:p<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>NY Islanders<O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana><O:p</O:p<FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT face=Verdana>Laughing stock of the league going into the 2006-2007 season the Islanders shocked the East into the 8<SUP>th</SUP> and final playoff berth. Due in large part to the additions of Ryan Smyth and Jason Blake. The team bought out the contract of Yashin in an effort to be able to lock up one or both of them, but both bolted to <st1:State w:st="on">Colorado</st1:State> and <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pToronto</ST1:p</st1:City> respectively. Throw in the loss of Zednik, Kozlov and Hill the Isles had a lot of patching up to do with their lineup. Adding Comrie while it hurts <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pOttawa</ST1:p</st1:City>, doesn’t fill the void left by these guys, nor does Guerin or Fedetenko.
<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT face=Verdana>With the high volume of turnover people are going to have to learn each other all over again and DiPietro will have a whole lot of work in front of him w/o some size up front. Can win games on his own, but not that many to help in this division seeing each team 8 times.
<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT face=Verdana>NY Rangers <O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana><O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>If you followed hockey this offseason, you know that the Rangers were the big player in the free agent market making a push to bolster their team to the Stanley Cup landing Chris Drury and Scott Gomez. The Rangers have one of if not the fastest high powered offensive units in the league but what they have in speed they lack in any depth or skill along the blue line. Lundqvist will be the deciding factor in how this team goes no doubt about it. He stood on his head at times last season, but looked tired at other times. The Rangers locked him up in the offseason so that should take a load off. But they also lost reliable back up Kevin Weekes to the Devils. <O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana>Predicted Order<O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana>Pittsburgh</ST1:p<FONT face=Verdana><O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana>NY Rangers<O:p</O:p
<st1:City w:st="on"><FONT face=Verdana>NJ Devils<O:p</O:p</st1:City>
<st1:City w:st="on"><FONT face=Verdana>Philadelphia</ST1:p</st1:City><FONT face=Verdana><O:p</O:p
<FONT face=Verdana>NY Islanders<O:p</O:p
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Very solid division.

Mr. Broduer is the model of consisitency. Unreal how long he has been at it for the same team and just is solid year in and year out.

From the few times watching Pittsburgh...the label soft came to my head.

flyers will be most improved team in the league and possibly finish as high as second in this division... i think the devils drop out of the playoffs after losing gomez and rafalski.

Think when you have a Brodeur on your team you can all but assure yourself a spot.

They've done it before with less scoring, but absolutely, the team that did the most is the Flyers IMO too. not many times you can get youngers... and better at the same time.

Nowhere to go but up from last year, but should make some noise with the big boys

Brodeur is great and bringing in sutter to coach is also an excellant move however the defence is getting weaker and weaker first niedermayer and now rafalski. Gomez's speed upfront will be missed. Then you consider the improvements made by the flyers, rangers and pens, i think they'll be in dogfight with another 5 teams to make the playoffs.

After the Rangers / Pens there will be quite the battle. NJ with the experience IMO could get the edge over the course of the season.

But I absolutely agree with you Buffalo that they are getting weaker and slower. Hell they only had the one line last yr vs the Lightning in the first round, and showed if you stop it what can happen. Now its just an EG line where are they going to get that punch.

I thought the Pens did do something along their blueline.

Maybe not big name guys, per se, but I thought they brought in some depth.

Frankly, just that Roberts is back is almost enough for me to say they're going to have a good year.

So long as Fleury continues to develop. I wasn't pleased with him in the playoffs at all last year.

And I agree on Buffalo, they're done for the time being.

Joe, I should have qualified the blue line with they were 'good' enough last season, but that next step that elite teams take need a go to guy... Sydor IMO isn't that guy.

Thats not to say they need a Pronger and company. Even a Souray. Somebody who can move the puck through the zone and be solid in his own end. A guy like Kaberle because I see him everyday comes to mind. BUt there are others... but like I said as of right now Sydor doesnt help them all that much.

Roberts being back will instill a work ethic with the young guys, and he'll still be able to get 20/20 season at his age barring injury

Cat - when trying to come p with a 'predicted' finish I looked at the scheds and flip flopped like 19 times... could go alot of way really

Yeah I hear you Santacapper. I cant predict the future but I just think Philly will have a great year, great solid additions that should fit in well, great mood, low pressure on the team as it can only go up...I predict

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey

Its great to be talking hockey again.

Personally..,. over 82 games Id take Brodeur / Lundqvust over Biron... thaths right now. I just cant see the Islanders making that much noise. They lost a tonne. But Dipietro will win you games on his own so that very well could happen..

I love talking hockey now, missed it, lol. Looking forward to a fun season and profitable of couse.

Back