Astros vs Yankees Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Houston's First Half Chances Are Astronomical Against the Yankees

Houston hosts the Yanks tonight at 8:10 ET in a rematch of last year's ALCS. The Astros are heavy chalk to win but the value lies in a first-half play.

New York Yankees (18-10) at Houston Astros (20-10)

MLB Pick: Houston 1H RL

Both bullpens are ranked in the top four in terms of FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck). Because the Yankees' bullpen is a strong candidate to achieve damage control for a struggling pitcher, the full-game run line seems too risky. But a play is worth making on the first five innings because of Houston's starting pitching advantage.

Veteran Justin Verlander (4-0, 1.36 ERA) starts for Houston. Current Yankee batters are hitting .213 against him in 61 at-bats. They last faced him in June of 2016, producing one run in 6.2 innings. After struggling in 2017, Verlander has been in even better form since he joined Houston than in 2016. As an Astro, Verlander has achieved an FIP of 3.02 or better in four of five regular season home games, indicating his comfort with his new home ballpark.

Verlander is finding the strike zone more effectively. Despite seeing more pitches in the zone, opposing batters are making contact less frequently. They are also swinging-and-missing at more pitches out of the zone. Verlander has reestablished his slider as a strong second-favorite pitch. He is reducing its vertical movement, which makes it less easy for opposing batters to track, and making it slide more so that it better eludes the opposing bat. Hitters are slugging a career-low .200 against it. Additionally, Verlander can rely on his fastball. Despite throwing it 63% of the time, opponents are hitting .155 against it. He allows minimal variance in the vertical release points of his fastball because he is so comfortable throwing it.

He matches up well against New York because of his 95 mph fastball. Dating back to last season, the Yanks are 20th in terms of BA, .225, against this pitch at this velocity. This season, their BA is .217 against the 95 mph fastball. The Yanks are starting to cool off, producing three runs in their past two games. They rank 23rd in strikeouts and lead the league in the category in the past three games. Verlander, who is averaging a career-high 10.89 strikeouts per nine innings, is prop bet material tonight.

The youngster Jordan Montgomery (2-0, 3.76 ERA) counters for New York. Montgomery is a foil of Verlander in four regards. He is showing poor form, yielding an FIP of over 4.00 in three of his last four outings. Additionally, he is struggling with velocity since his average fastball is down two mph from last season. Thirdly, his command is weak, indicated by his 4.10 walk-per-nine-innings rate. His weaker command could derive from his struggle to prevent contact on pitches outside of the zone, which is because, fourthly, he is getting less movement in his fastball, less "sink" in his sinker and less "slide" in his slider so that his pitches are less frequently eluding opposing bats.

Yankee backers could cite Houston's recent struggles at home against left-handed pitchers. Houston has struggled against southpaws with pronounced ground ball-inducing tendencies, but has done well against the left-handed fly ball pitchers, inducing an FIP of over 6.00 against both Mike Minor and Cole Hamels. Montgomery is a fly ball pitcher because of his low 40.7 opposing ground ball percentage last season. His pitches are showing even less verticality and he is throwing less frequently in the bottom quadrants of the strike zone.

The Astros match-up well against Montgomery because they are achieving an .837 OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) against fly ball pitchers. Watch out especially for Jose Altuve, who is batting over .400 both against left-handed starters and fly ball pitchers. He leads Houston with a .347 BA. Carlos Correa is averaging .330 overall and over .350 against both lefties and fly ball pitchers. The Astros have a lot of pop with which to help Verlander secure a first-half lead.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
There is a problem here that I am studying. Verlander should win this easily BUT the ump in this game is Not good for him. Now I have watched Verlander playing games for Houston repeatedly vs teams with bad refs with no effect and it may be this way again but Houston is facing a serious team and that means I need to look at this very carefully. GL

Took your play. Reality is Verlander is playing with in a great mental state. He goes out expecting to win and with great hopes for the playoffs. He absolutely has had bad results in the past with this ref but Houston should have no real problem scoring vs the Yank pitcher and I think he should be able to give 1 or 2 runs max in that first half and I hope for better

Took your play. Reality is Verlander is playing with in a great mental state. He goes out expecting to win and with great hopes for the playoffs. He absolutely has had bad results in the past with this ref but Houston should have no real problem scoring vs the Yank pitcher and I think he should be able to give 1 or 2 runs max in that first half and I hope for better

Tuck have you ever considered expanding your betting criteria with sabermetrics (as you find in my articles for instance)

Well been a month into season of writing articles anyone who wants to offer feedback or constructive criticism to my articles so that they‘re better and more interesting to read always feel free to do so :)

Right-hander Justin Verlander (4-0, 1.36 ERA) will start the second game of the series for the Astros on Tuesday. Verlander is 6-7 with a 3.87 ERA over 18 career starts against the Yankees, last facing them in the regular season on June 11, 2016, when he allowed one run on five hits and one walk with five strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings pitching for the Detroit Tigers at Yankee Stadium.
He was named the 2017 ALCS Most Valuable Player after going 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA over two starts against the Yankees, recording 21 strikeouts against two walks over 16 innings.
Verlander is 9-0 with a 1.22 ERA in 11 starts with Houston. Roger Clemens is the only other pitcher in franchise history to win his first nine decisions with the club. Clemens did so in 2004.
Left-hander Jordan Montgomery (2-0, 3.76 ERA) will get the start for the Yankees (18-10). Montgomery is 0-1 with a 5.56 ERA over two career starts against the Astros, including one appearance at Minute Maid Park that resulted in a no-decision after Montgomery allowed three runs on five hits and one walk with four strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings in a 7-6 loss.
Montgomery has an unbeaten streak of 10 consecutive starts. He did not face Houston last postseason.

I like your write ups and look forward to them....agree with your pick here albeit with caution as Monty has been throwing it well recently

This was true sickness. Verlander pitches 8 great innings and the Astros deliberately do not score against the New York bench

Back