Astros vs Rays Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Rays vs Astros: ALDS Game 1 MLB Picks and Predictions

Rays vs Astros
Friday, October 4 2019 at 2:05 p.m. ET (FS1) at Minute Maid Park

Tampa Bay’s Tyler Glasnow (6-1, 1.78 ERA) makes his first ever playoff experience. While he had a statistically strong regular season, he was also bereft of experience against playoff teams.

He faced teams that missed the playoffs in 10 of his 12 appearances. The two exceptions were the Yankees and Astros and he yielded a 0.96 FIP (like ERA, but factors out fielding) against an injury-ridden Yankee lineup and a 4.81 FIP against Houston. Both opponents had to face Glasnow in Tampa Bay.

For all the positivity in Glasnow’s development, his youth shows in his dependence on a single pitch. Glasnow throws his fastball 67 percent of the time. This pitch doesn’t have much movement and Glasnow isn’t often adept at locating it away from the middle of the plate. Instead, velocity is its greatest asset as this pitch averages 97 mph.

Unsurprisingly, Glasnow essentially lives and dies in a given outing with the success of this pitch. In his two battles with future playoff teams, Houston hit .273 against this pitch and the Yankees, who produced Glasnow’s highest opposing run total in a game this season, hit .300 against it.

I like Astro batters today because, in the second half of the season, they ranked first in slugging against the fastball from righties. They also ranked second in slugging against the 95-99 mph fastball from righties, thus indicating their ability to do well against Glasnow’s heater.

They also accrued strong numbers against Glasnow, albeit in a limited number of at-bats. In 31 tries, Houston batters hit .290 and slug .581 against Glasnow. Alex Bregman and Aledmys Diaz each have hit a homer off him.

The Astros counter with Justin Verlander, (21-6, 2.58 ERA) who managed to be a profitable pitcher this season despite the ridiculous chalk that bettors are often dared to lay with him. He yielded +3.4 units overall. Relevant for today, the bulk of his profitability derived from his daytime success. In day games, the Astros were 9-2 when Verlander started, yielding +7.4 units.

Also important for today, Verlander has a mental edge against Glasnow because he boasts the playoff experience that Glasnow lacks. Verlander’s postseason ERA is 3.19.

Verlander enters today’s game in strong form, yielding a sub-three FIP in six of his past seven starts. He mostly throws a serviceable 94-95 mph fastball.

But the slider is arguably his most important pitch as he amps up its usage in crunch time. When runners enter scoring position, he throws it four percent more often against lefties and 13 percent more often against righties than when runners are not in scoring position.

His reliance on the slider is smart because opponents bat .119 against it. Its hard, its movement is tight, and he’s not afraid to throw a higher rate of strikes than balls with it, while over 42 percent of its strikes land in the two lowest-right spots of the zone.

Tampa Bay batters are among Verlander’s many victims. They’ve accrued 113 collective at-bats against him, but have only hit one home run. Overall, they bat .221 and slug .301 and have 13 more strikeouts (38) than hits (25). Mike Zunino, Brandon Lowe, Jesus Aguilar, and Ji-Man Choi are all hitless with one walk to 13 strikeouts combined.

One argument gets made in favor of Tampa Bay: the Rays should supposedly have an advantage for being more battle-tested, while Houston had to sit on the sidelines for longer. But the Verlander-led Astros have not conceded any indication that its time off were problematic. In 2017, and 2018, they enjoyed clear game 1 victories by a combined score of 15-4 against Cleveland and Boston. They won both first halves by a combined 9-2 result.

Best Bet: Astros First-Half RL (-.5) at -130 odds with 5Dimes

I don’t like the idea of knocking guys who don’t have playoff experience. At some point every great postseason pitcher had been new to playoffs as well and dominated. Some thrive, some crumble but until ya see it hard for me to assume they at a disadvantage. There certainly other things about Glasgow that might not be working in his favor here but to me the lack of experience is impossible to say is a bad thing.

Do we worry bout flaherty being his 1st post season action? I don’t.

I don’t like the idea of knocking guys who don’t have playoff experience. At some point every great postseason pitcher had been new to playoffs as well and dominated. Some thrive, some crumble but until ya see it hard for me to assume they at a disadvantage. There certainly other things about Glasgow that might not be working in his favor here but to me the lack of experience is impossible to say is a bad thing.

Do we worry bout flaherty being his 1st post season action? I don’t.

Bank, I devoted one line to it and you writing me a paragraph. You make fair points, by all means disagree but its not a decisive factor for my play

And yea, I am. Hopefully he won‘t be as wobbly as Mikolas was at the beginning let alone as Manaea was

Thing to me is that Glasnow with playoffs may be a bit amped and be a bit more wild with his Fastball. Key will be the Houston laying off the high fastball and his curve/offspeed? I believe. If they can make him a 1 pitch pitcher he'll be pretty hittable. although I said that when he was in Pittsburgh, the difference was Pittsburgh was making him throw down in the Strike zone vs high like Gerrit Cole is doing now.

Bank, I devoted one line to it and you writing me a paragraph. You make fair points, by all means disagree but its not a decisive factor for my play

And yea, I am. Hopefully he won‘t be as wobbly as Mikolas was at the beginning let alone as Manaea was

I wasn’t really trying to chew it up, just felt like I read that In another one your articles as well so thought I’d talk about. End of day I’m sure it wasn’t a huge factor in your decision.

I wasn’t really trying to chew it up, just felt like I read that In another one your articles as well so thought I’d talk about. End of day I’m sure it wasn’t a huge factor in your decision.

You able to remember so much of what people say cause you possess a superior intellectual capacity :)

Back