Astros vs. Athletics Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Astros vs. Athletics: MLB Best Bets

Houston Astros vs. Oakland Athletics
Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 9:10 p.m. ET in Oakland Coliseum

Jesus Luzardo

Oakland’s Jesus Luzardo (2-2, 4.23 ERA) makes his seventh start of the season.

Luzardo primarily relies on his sinker. When facing either a same-handed (meaning left-handed) batter or a right-handed batter, he throws this pitch 38 percent of the time.

His primary aim with this pitch is to generate ground balls. Relative to the average sinker, he gives his sinker a strong amount of horizontal break.

So the idea is that batters swing on top of this moving sinker thus hitting the pitch into the ground.

Ideally, a pitcher emphasizes with his sinker the lower parts of the strike zone.

But pitching charts show that Luzardo strongly concentrates his sinker in the more middle parts of the zone.

Its poor location largely explains why batters slug .463 when he throws this pitch.

Luzardo is a lefty. When he faces righties, he wants to emphasize his off-speed stuff in order to keep them off-balance.

Hence, his change-up is easily his second-favorite pitch to offer a right-handed batter.

His change-up has the advantage of lower location in addition to strong horizontal movement.

But this pitch remains unspectacular. Its low spin rate creates less deceptiveness in its location.

Moreover, its velocity differential relative to his fastball (8.3 mph) is ordinary.

For these reasons, righties manage to hit .273 against it.

Luzardo vs. Astro Batters

Luzardo is at least promising because he is trying to develop a change-up with which to attack opposite handed-batters. This pitch as well as some other minor features help him remain decent against weaker lineups.

His best games have come against teams — like the Diamondbacks, Rangers, and Angels -- that rank in the bottom 10 against left-handed pitchers.

In contrast, his worst games — against Colorado, San Diego, and San Francisco — foregrounded opponents that rank top-11 against southpaws.

I like Houston today because it ranks eighth against southpaws. Match-up wise, it is thus akin to the Rockies, etc., rather than to the Diamondbacks, etc.

Look out for Carlos Correa who is owning lefties with a .359 BA.

Luis Garcia’s First Career Start

Because Lance McCullers is injured, Luis Garcia (0-0, 2.08 ERA) will make his second career professional appearance and his first ever Major League start.

Don’t be fooled by Garcia’s surface stats because he’s hardly pitched. Garcia’s first game performance masks a 5.49 xERA (expected ERA).

xERA accounts for the amount and quality of contact that batters are making with a pitcher’s offerings in order to reconstruct a more honest assessment of a pitcher’s performance.

His xERA makes more sense when you understand that Garcia is starting today purely out of necessity and not by choice.

Garcia’s role assessment has been the subject of some controversy.

Houston clearly thinks that he can be a starter. Although his first appearance was out of the bullpen, he’s been groomed to become a starter.

A lot of scouts think, however, that he belongs in the bullpen. They cite his arm action, which is very short, and his complicated, not-so-smooth delivery.

Garcia Breakdown

Young pitchers work on cultivating greater pitch variety as their professional career progresses.

Garcia clearly isn’t there yet. His favorite pitch is his fastball and he throws it 62 percent of the time.

Scouting reports insist that he enjoys strong command with this pitch. Perhaps he’s been skittish on an MLB mound as he seems to be trying to nibble along the borders of the strike zone. Right now, 36.59 percent of his fastballs are balls.

There seems to be good reason for his plate-nibbling proclivity. When his fastball landed in the more middle parts of the plate, Angels batters did a tremendous job of generating a high average exit velocity.

Because of them, his fastball is yielding a .667 slugging rate.

Obviously, Garcia’s difficulties with what is clearly his favorite pitch is alarming. This is especially true when you consider that the Angels are the second-worst team in slugging against the fastball from righties.

Garcia vs. Oakland Batters

In contrast to the Angels, Oakland ranks fifth in slugging against the fastball from righties.

When you account for Garcia’s other primary stuff, which combines to account for over 90 percent of his arsenal, the A’s rank third in slugging .547 against it from righties.

Watch out for Robbie Grossman, who loves facing Houston. His BA is .318 with three doubles and two homers in 22 at-bats against the Astros this season.

The Verdict

I’ve broken down two relatively unknown pitchers. Both seem very vulnerable today. Oakland matches up excellently with Garcia based on his pitch selection and Houston promises to dominate the lefty Luzardo.

Best Bet: First-Five Over 5 (Odds TBA)

Just nitpicking cause I’m on break, keep that in mind when you read rest. Lol.

wouldn’t it be fair to say taking his bad indicators into account unfair if we disregarding the good since he has “hardly pitched”? (Mlb numbers of course).

I think most pitchers get stretched out as starters early in their minor league careers don’t they? Much easier to turn a kid into a reliever than into a starter. Plus there always the chance you have injuries to your staff (like Houston here) so you need to have guys stretched out able to give you a start and innings in these circumstances.

That pretty much all I got, lol. I havnt seen or done any work on this kid Houston pitching so nothing to add. Pretty much just talking for the sake of talking!! :)

I don’t like these Ff overs very much. In most cases I prefer to have the full game to hit over with exception of few teams with really good pens: A’s could certainly qualify there but there also the chance even if a starter doing better than you expected he comes out for 6th and guys get to him the 3rd time seeing him! I say 3rd time cause I assume If they taking their 4th ab then starter be out of game!

have you been tracking how ff over does in relation to the game total? i know last night you got a push and would have lost the full game over in braves game, just curious how often you have hit the ff over and game stayed under or vice versa?

have you been tracking how ff over does in relation to the game total? i know last night you got a push and would have lost the full game over in braves game, just curious how often you have hit the ff over and game stayed under or vice versa?

I have not. I just look at bullpen era and possibly reliever usage to determine whether i want fg. But since i know who the starters are whereas I don‘t know which relievers will pitch and don‘t have the time to look into every reliever vs lineup matchup (besides, the reliever may only face a few batters and who knows which ones), I strongly tend towards ff.

Plus im not sure of the predictive benefits of tracking on an individual game basis? I don‘t think tracking would influence how I cap a game.

Just nitpicking cause I’m on break, keep that in mind when you read rest. Lol.

wouldn’t it be fair to say taking his bad indicators into account unfair if we disregarding the good since he has “hardly pitched”? (Mlb numbers of course).

I think most pitchers get stretched out as starters early in their minor league careers don’t they? Much easier to turn a kid into a reliever than into a starter. Plus there always the chance you have injuries to your staff (like Houston here) so you need to have guys stretched out able to give you a start and innings in these circumstances.

That pretty much all I got, lol. I havnt seen or done any work on this kid Houston pitching so nothing to add. Pretty much just talking for the sake of talking!! :)

I don’t like these Ff overs very much. In most cases I prefer to have the full game to hit over with exception of few teams with really good pens: A’s could certainly qualify there but there also the chance even if a starter doing better than you expected he comes out for 6th and guys get to him the 3rd time seeing him! I say 3rd time cause I assume If they taking their 4th ab then starter be out of game!

You got the toughness of an ex-con when playing bball but somehow you manage to also have the chatter-box tendencies of an (urbanized) parlor lady :)

it takes little work but i think you can generally get a pretty good feel for what relievers you will see from a team, although it been tougher this year with the expanded rosters and seemingly different guy coming onto the team daily! obviously not a exact science and it def tougher if the starter does poorly and doesnt get thru 5 innings (again even more so these days). i dont bother looking at individual pen pitchers numbers vs any specific player or even team very often anyways, dont think it necessary. odds are if starter does poorly better chance you see crappier pen guys. im just curious how it been working in relation to full game cause i think the pens and rules sometimes make the total higher which usually shows to a degree in the ff number as well.

You got the toughness of an ex-con when playing bball but somehow you manage to also have the chatter-box tendencies of an (urbanized) parlor lady :)

im super nice too (usually)!!! i play ball with the neighbor kids often as i can, teaching them the game, and buy them candy when i go to store. little fuckers get pushy tho, they have gotten to point they come knock on door and ask me to come play or if i got any snacks!! lol. always pester me whenever i pull into driveway, go outyside to smoke, or grill!!

im super nice too (usually)!!! i play ball with the neighbor kids often as i can, teaching them the game, and buy them candy when i go to store. little fuckers get pushy tho, they have gotten to point they come knock on door and ask me to come play or if i got any snacks!! lol. always pester me whenever i pull into driveway, go outyside to smoke, or grill!!

I hope you don‘t stick your knee out to stop one of their fast breaks!

I hope you don‘t stick your knee out to stop one of their fast breaks!

lol. no need to stop a 13-14, and couple 8-9 year old kids!! lol. i havnt even taught them any dirty antics yet! their parents were only ones in the neighborhood who came over and brought us some food dish when we bought the house few years ago so i try to be nice to them even tho one or 2 the adults who live there speak next to no freaking english!! for some reason their father never goes out there and plays with them!! someone gotta do it!! i think he works out of town but when he there he goes for runs and shit but never plays any sports with his damn kids!! weird.

lol. no need to stop a 13-14, and couple 8-9 year old kids!! lol. i havnt even taught them any dirty antics yet! their parents were only ones in the neighborhood who came over and brought us some food dish when we bought the house few years ago so i try to be nice to them even tho one or 2 the adults who live there speak next to no freaking english!! for some reason their father never goes out there and plays with them!! someone gotta do it!! i think he works out of town but when he there he goes for runs and shit but never plays any sports with his damn kids!! weird.

Are we really going to assume that your urban dialect qualifies as English?? :D

Are we really going to assume that your urban dialect qualifies as English?? :D

i dunno how to answer this? if you only speak one language and it english you should be able to understand the words coming out my mouth, even if ya dont know what they mean. no clue what the hell they speak or where they from but it certainly not english! somewhere in africa would be my uneducated guess. luckily the kids all speak english better than me!!

Back