Astros/Phillies Game 3 Player Props (New) Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
MLB Player Props for World Series Game 3: Astro Batters Help Secure Victory

Houston Astros vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 8:03 p.m. ET at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia

Player to hit the first Home Run in the Game

For this prop bet, we are investing in a certain player to hit the first home run in the game.

There is also the option to bet that no home run will be hit, but this seems unlikely in view of the number of successful home run-hitters on each team.

Philadelphia's ballpark is nearly equal to Houston's in home runs per pitches thrown, suggesting that we won't see a reduction in number of home runs now that the series has moved to the City of Brotherly Love.

Ranger Suarez

A significant reason why I think that home runs will get hit in this game is Philadelphia starting pitcher Ranger Suarez.

Because the prop bet asks us to choose the first player to hit a home run and because I dislike Suarez tonight, we should invest in an Astro batter with the expectation that he hits a home run of Suarez.

I dislike Suarez partly because he is relatively vulnerable to allowing home runs, especially for a ground ball-inducing pitcher.

People might be disinclined to expect an Astro to homer off of Suarez, because Suarez is a ground ball-inducing pitcher, and they think of Houston's Game 2 starting pitcher Framber Valdez, who excels at keeping batted balls on the ground.

But Suarez allows substantially more home runs per nine innings than Valdez does.

In fact, when he faced Houston on October 4, he allowed three home runs in three innings.

He allowed four home runs in 12.2 innings in all of October, indicating that he remains vulnerable to allowing home runs even as his pitching form generally improves relative to his first-half performance, although he obviously struggled against Astro batters.

Suarez vs. Right-Handed Batters

As is typical for a left-handed pitcher, Suarez is most vulnerable to allowing home runs to right-handed batters.

In the regular season, he allowed 0.95 home runs per nine innings to righties.

For Houston, therefore, we should expect a right-handed batter to hit a home run off him.

Jeremy Pena

I like Jeremy Pena to hit a home run off Suarez, although, of course, we might still win this bet if Pena hits a home run off a Philly reliever in Game 3.

Pena has been an excellent source of extra-base hits in general, of which he has eight in 42 postseason at-bats thus far.

In this postseason, he has hit three home runs.

He is especially likely to hit a left-handed pitcher hard, as in the regular season he slugged .493 against lefties compared to .402 against righties.

Best Bet: Jeremy Pena to hit the first Home Run in the game at +1300 with Bovada

Home Run / Match Winner Parlay

For this bet to hit, we need two things to happen: the player we select must hit a home run and the team that we select must win.

Why Houston Will Win

I like Houston to win because of its advantageous starting pitcher matchup and deeper bullpen.

The Astros match up well against Philly's starter, Ranger Suarez.

They rank third in slugging against his favorite pitches from lefties.

Plus, they benefit from the fact that Jose Altuve is finally heating up -- he has seven hits in his last four games.

Conversely, Philadelphia ranks 13thin Astro starter Lance McCullers' favorite pitches from righties.

McCullers, who is well-reputed for thriving in big games, features a healthy four pitch combo that does not include the four-seam fastball, which is meaningful because the Phillies have been hitting specifically this pitch very well.

After McCullers, one of baseball's best bullpens at limiting opposing scoring will seal the deal.

Best Bet: Jeremy Pena/Houston Astros at +500 with Bovada

Back