Asian Cup July 10 to 14, 2007

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Tournament Record: 0-0
Sides: 0-0
Totals: 0-0
Big Plays: 0-0

Going to put my Asian cup plays in one thread. I'll also put the dollar figures i put, i forgot to add them in the U-20s so just for number's purposes. Got some folks back home that will keep me posted with whats happening and such, only playing this because i'm Indonesian and i want to show some sort of support even though we are going to get thrashed by South Korea and Saudi Arabia, which leads me to the first game

Korea Republic vs Saudia Arabia July 11th, 2007
Saudi Arabia +0.25 @ 1.92 (Big Play) $500 to win $460
Draw @ 3.20 (Small Play) $50 to win $110
This is my first big play of the tournament. My Korean contacts are mentioning this is a softened Taeguk Warriors side missing 4 stars whom 3 we know about Park Ji Sung from Man Utd, Lee Young-pyo from Tottenham, Seol Ki-hyeon from Reading and Kim Nam-il from Suwan Samsung Bluewings. All four are key players, both in skill and experience. They are hurt at the back without Lee and Kim and they will be hurt upfront without Park and Seol. South Korea's preparations for this tournament have been somewhat erratic. Pretty much been all over the place with no signs of consistency. Sure a lot of them were friendlies but it would be nice to win. Now the Saudi's are stacked this tourney with plenty of Asian MVPs. The one thing i like about the Saudi's is that they play in the same league and majority of them will play on the same team, this means they have a better understanding of each other. The Saudi's and South Koreans dominate the Asian stage because of their organization and speed. Experience is vital as well because both these teams are 3 time winners of this tournament. The Saudi's have had some bumps on the road when they missed out on the last Asian Cup, but they have had a solid prep towards the tourney and are on a mission to redeem themselves. I can see a draw here at least because playing Indonesia and Bahrain are far more easier then this first encounter. I would be more than happy to take half the stakes but a Saudi Arabia win is not unlikely, they will be playing in my hometown of Jakarta where it is very very smoggy and humid. There will be a large fan base for both, mainly because there are a ton of Korean's who work for international companies in Jakarta and the Saudi's have a large islamic population in Indonesia as well. Expect each team to get a feel of each other for an extended period of time but a draw maybe satisfying for both.
Prediction: South Korea 1-1 Saudi Arabia

Indonesia vs Bahrain July 10th, 2007
Over 2.5 @ 2.04 (Medium Play) $300 to win $312
The line is set off a little here. I see great value in a match where i expect both teams to really go for it and get a victory before they face a tougher opposition in the South Koreans and Saudi's. Indonesia have prepped up very nicely as host of the tourney, they brought back their former coach Ivan Kolev, who replaced Peter Withe in the end of 2006 to help lead the team he brought into the Asian Cup for the first time. He is a players favorite and there is high hopes for a fine display this time around. The last time Indonesia played Bahrain they hit a 3-1 defeat in the 2004 Asian Cup. However, Indonesia has vastly improved from then. They have been known to be a lazy squad who lack the motivation, but playing infront of a home nation that is populated by over 200 million, plenty of eyes will be on the Indonesian boys. The weather will be to their advantage as well as Bahrain is more accustomed to playing in dryer heat. Watch out for striker Bambung Pamungkas, extremely versatile striker with one hell of a boot! We've seen the first 2 hosts Vietnam and Thailand pull off great results i think Indonesia can do the same....perhaps a little homer but realistically if Indonesia can keep their focus and not get too out of control they are more then likely able to compete with the Gulf nation.
Prediction: Indonesia 2-2 Bahrain

crazy....South Korea vs Saudi Arabia had a suspension due to the lights not working, Saudi's had a huge chance to grab the win but thus no cigar

South Korea 1-1 Saudi Arabia FT
Won half and got a push on the handicap and won on the draw.

Tournament Record: 3-0-1 +$652
Sides: 2-0-1
Totals: 1-0
Big Plays: 1-0-1

Korea outplayed the Saudis. If that striker wasnt 80 lbs soak and wet there would not have been a penalty call.

I had Saudi and the under, but feel lucky for Saudi cashing in.

Korea outplayed the Saudis. If that striker wasnt 80 lbs soak and wet there would not have been a penalty call.

I had Saudi and the under, but feel lucky for Saudi cashing in.

Saudi's also missed a great chance after the restart, so its all part of the game. Luck is involved and unfortunately for South Korea they may have had their chances but its all he said she said. Can't really complain about one play. Either way i'm happy with the result, means my Indonesians are on top! lol.

Australia vs Iraq
Australia -1.25 @ 1.92 $600 to win $552 (Big Bet)
Welcome Australia to the AFC. After complaining how they dominate the Oceanic region they want to see how they fare with AFC and well they got a taste of their own medicine when they drew with Oman thanks to a Tim Cahill goal in the 89th minute. Don't get me wrong, Oman has been a strong Gulf side for many years so people had automatically written them off, but they really gave it to the Aussies. However, i feel with plenty of tournaments its hard to really stay consistent and there will be minor blimps and i think that game was a wake up call for the Aussies. I expect more things out of Viduka against the Iraqi's his size should cause major problems for the Iraqi's, its time for the Aussies to wake up if they want to really progress, they do not want to play Thailand desperately needing 3 points because being the host country you know they will be ready and use to the weather. The Iraqi's have had problems preparing due to the War. They also recently installed a new coach which can cause difficult spells and communication errors. I rate Iraq as one of the weaker Gulf Nation's competiting in this tourney. Should they be able to compete with the Aussies, it would only be for perhaps 15-20mins of the match before they are outclassed. The weather will be humid and sticky as always in this part of the globe, both teams should now get a better feel of what to expect, but i think the Aussies are much user to this sort of heat then the Iraqi's are with their dry heat rather than humid. Gulf Nations have issues playing with larger sized teams and it should show tomorrow.
Prediction: Australia 3-0 Iraq

Last edited:
Vietnam vs Qatar
Vietnam +0.25 @ 2.12 $250 to win $280
Over 2.25 @ 1.96 $200 to win $192
Vietnam ML @ 3.80 $50 to win $140
Vietnam opened their campaign with a well deserved 2-0 win over UAE. Being a host nation is also a huge lift and having a huge crowd on hand will be an extra boost of motivation. Qatar on the other hand drew an inspirational game vs Japan. They were easily written off even their coach Musovic was suprised by the draw. Now they face another stiff opponent in the host and to make matters worse they will be without their star striker Hussein Yasser who was sent off during the game vs Japan. This really takes away any major threat to the Qatar attack. Vietnam should be up to the challenge knowning that a victory here will see them progress into the 2nd round. They prepared themselves well for this tourney and proved it against the Gulf Cup champions. I think a lot of the Gulf teams are having trouble in the humidity so it will be a huge advantage for the Viets. Expect the home crowd to play a factor again. Vietnam doesn't have one star player to watch out for, they are a very mixed group of individuals who have a great understanding of each other. I think that in itself is an advantage than having one key player. I think Vietnam will pull off another great result here.
Prediction: Vietnam 2-1 Qatar

Vietnam 1-1 Qatar FT

bahh that Qatar goal screwed me on a nice win today but i only lose $10 lol.

Tournament Record: 4-2-3 +$642
Sides: 2-0-2
Totals: 1-1

Japan vs UAE
Over 2.5 @ 1.92 $200 to win $184
Playing this one small because i feel this game you will see some risk taken. Japan gave up a late equaliser to Qatar in the last game and that really fumed their coach to the point where the translator even cried! This game has huge meaning for Japan's progression. A win here will get them back on pace for the knockout stages. A draw would be hard press because they play Vietnam in their last game and playing the home squad and hoping for a win isn't a great scenario. UAE were humbled by the Viets who put on quite a show for the fans. UAE were expected to take control of the match but the Gulf Nation's champs weren't up to par. Coach Bruno Metsu must push some positive feelings into his squad if he wants any sort of chance to progress. Vietnam exposed the UAE defense with its pace and now a much more faster Japanese squad should seal the deal. I think after that slip up against Qatar this game means a lot to the Japanese and they will want to go out and prove their capabilities. A lot is at stake and i like situations like these where one team becomes desperate to at least try and score. I'll take the chance, i think Japan will score at least 2 goals here, i know the key for them will be defense, best thing the Japanese will try to do is score at will to gain a favorable Goal Difference so going into the match Vietnam things will seem better.
Prediction: Japan 3-1 UAE

Ya, the Aussie effort was absolutely pathetic. The score could have easily been 5-1 iraq. The Aussies were out of sync the entire game.

Currently, in Korea. Thats why Ive been betting and posting at obscure times.

ahhh i see, i hope you are having a good time, let us know of any opinions you got, i'm interested in the Indonesia, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and South Korea group. I'm looking at the Over for SOuth Korea and Bahrain

ahhh i see, i hope you are having a good time, let us know of any opinions you got, i'm interested in the Indonesia, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and South Korea group. I'm looking at the Over for SOuth Korea and Bahrain

Over looks solid. Korea needs Jaejin to come up big in this tourney if they want to make run. He has had his chances and I think he capitalizes and notches 1 against Bahrain.

Not sure, but I think Bahrain games in the Asia Cup tend to go 4 goal totals. I think Bahrain continues to play an open game and hope to outscore Korea; a team lacking some firepower right now.

A lot of the Australian players don't want to be there at the moment

No effort on defense at all, pretty pathetic

Mike, any thoughts on the Uzbek/Malay match up?

I put a little on Uzbek -1.5 and am considering putting up more.

t-dot good job with the Uzbeks. Sorry didn't get back to you on time, been moving to new places this week. Didnt have time to post the plays. But i can tell you now, i think its starting to get a little predictable as to who wants to play in this tourney. Rod has already mentioned how Australia just don't seem to care.

Lookin at ahead to the Vietnam/Japan game. I may have to risk quite an amount on the draw.

t-dot good job with the Uzbeks. Sorry didn't get back to you on time, been moving to new places this week. Didnt have time to post the plays. But i can tell you now, i think its starting to get a little predictable as to who wants to play in this tourney. Rod has already mentioned how Australia just don't seem to care.

Lookin at ahead to the Vietnam/Japan game. I may have to risk quite an amount on the draw.

Im waiting for the Korea/Bahrain line. Uzbek and Korea are/were the 2 games Ive been waiting for.

I'm hoping the line comes out -.5 Korea (most likely -1) and 2/2.5.

Tdot,
Bet365 have the lines out

Korea 1.57
Draw 3.60
Bahrain 6.00

Handicaps wise its going to be -0.75

Now that Saudi Arabia won in the last minute, the Koreans know they've got some work to do.

Tdot,
Bet365 have the lines out

Korea 1.57
Draw 3.60
Bahrain 6.00

Handicaps wise its going to be -0.75

Now that Saudi Arabia won in the last minute, the Koreans know they've got some work to do.

I agree, Korea have to be thinking win. Bahrain will still be smarting over that loss to Indonesia. Im playing Korea -1 now, still undecided on the total.

i think this game is going to end up being like Japan vs UAE. They need a big win to boost their morale and confidence. But like you said earlier, that most Bahrain games tend to have quite a few goals. This group is wide open and i think Bahrain must believe they have some sort of chance. If the 2.5 line is respectable i'm going to have to take the Over on this one.

They have a chance, but I believe they thought the Indonesian game was THE one they had to win in order to advance. THe Indonesian goal at the 60th minute had to hurt. If korea manages the first goal, Bahrain will not make the effort, much like the Aussies.

China vs Iran
China +0.25 $600 to win $480
Both teams are considered the favorites to advance from the group. Both came out with solid victories in their opening campaign. Iran will play host Malaysia and will want at least a draw in this match. China face a much more stiffer opponent in Uzbekistan. Best scenario for both squads would be the draw. Iran will not have their coach Amir Ghalenoei on the sideline because he was sent off during the 2-1 win over Uzbekistan. The coach claims the team will be fine, which they should, but sometimes in the heat of the moment, the team orders maybe a little bit more difficult to come by. Both teams should be in full strength, and with high morales. The Chinese have reasons to be underdogs, but so far this tourney we've seen the underdogs play very well, minus UAE and Malaysia. So i do not see why China can do the same. Both sides have very quality players, and it would be difficult to judge the total primarily because both can score at will and both can defend. I just think China may have enough to really give the Iranians a go and perhaps they will be trying to eye a victory ahead of the Uzbekistan match.
Prediction: China 1-1 Iran

toronto_mike - capo is back from the dead - up early and saw the post - took iran/china for the draw - good call - good analysis - everything sets itself up for it (...iran's coach out for the match, iran with a w against the uzbeks to start group play, iran knowing they play malaysia to finish group play...)

will finish my asian cup morning taking south korea for the w - south korea just way too strong - bahrain losing to indonesia and south korea tying saudi arabia in this cup tells me enough

iran needs to wake up - down 2-0 with about 5 minutes left in the 1st

Last edited:
China 2-2 Iran FT

Damn if only China held that 2-0 lead!

Tournament Record: 6-3-4 +$466
Sides: 3-1-3
Totals: 2-1

iran came back to tie as i expected - unbelievable how south korea loses to bahrain giving up the game-winner in the 85th minute

Back