Asante Samuel to the Birds

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
Eagles sign Samuel to six-year contract

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->PHILADELPHIA -- The Eagles have signed free-agent cornerback Asante Samuel.
<!-- begin player card -->
The Eagles agreed to a six-year contract on Friday with Samuel, who spent the last five seasons with New England and had 16 interceptions the last two years.

Samuel also tied the NFL career playoff record with three interceptions returned for TDs.

Philadelphia had only 11 interceptions last year and failed to score a defensive touchdown. Its defense had an NFL-worst 19 takeaways.

The Eagles will likely trade or shift positions for either Lito Sheppard or Sheldon Brown.

Samuel, a two-time Pro Bowl selection with two Super Bowl rings, has 22 career interceptions. He was protected by New England last year by the franchise player tag.

Unbelivable...Never thought they'd be in the running for this guy. We just landed the best player in 08' free agency and possibly the best corner in all of football.

And we just got started!!!

Lito should be done here. We should be able to get a decent pick for him. Possibly be able to move up in the draft, too.

Even if they keep Lito imagine the blitz scheme's that johnson could come with, Thomas or Cole could be used as the rover like Kearse was when he was good. Lito, Sheldon, Asatni, B-Dawk, people coming from anywhere and everywhere....I am excited. whenever you get the best player in FA its a good move.

Even if they keep Lito imagine the blitz scheme's that johnson could come with, Thomas or Cole could be used as the rover like Kearse was when he was good. Lito, Sheldon, Asatni, B-Dawk, people coming from anywhere and everywhere....I am excited. whenever you get the best player in FA its a good move.

I'd like to keep Lito, personally, but everything I'm hearing is that he is gone. There's some obvious discontent between him and ownership. He wants more, and he IS good. But his injury concerns are too great.

If he does leave, I'm not sold on Hansen as a nickel corner. I know they tendered him VERY strongly, but I don't think he's ready to step it yet.

I never thought this would happen in a million years.

This hurts my hopes for Larry Fitz or the like, and I like Lito, but it's hard to shake a stick at the guy who might be the best shutdown corner in the game right now.

I never thought this would happen in a million years.

This hurts my hopes for Larry Fitz or the like, and I like Lito, but it's hard to shake a stick at the guy who might be the best shutdown corner in the game right now.

best shutdown corner is #21 in oAktown :shake:

Best shut down corner? No way, Champ is still the best shut down corner and McCallister is right there.
He is not the best FA on the market either, Randy Moss is with Briggs #2. Samuel is a product of the NE defensive scheme and it will show in Philly. With Lito and Sheldon there, they made a splash with a lot of cash for something they basically already have. Samuel is a very good corner but Philly needed stuff elsewhere IMO.

Yeah, I know that's a stretch, but now that he's an Eagle I'm trying hard not to believe we now have the best secondary in the NFL.

And I'm not sold on Champ still being that guy. Don't get me wrong, he's great, but there was something about his '07 that wasn't quite up to his '06.

Oh, and Throwback has a guy in Oak that is no slouch, that should be mentioned.

Last, you're right about Moss, but I don't consider him a FA just because I think he stays in NE. But I could be way off.

The real question here is, who's next for the Birds. The corner thing was a bit of an issue, but it's not the WR issue. It's not the LB issue.

So I'm excited to see what follows.

POSTED 12:36 p.m. EST, March 1, 2008
EAGLES CLOSING IN ON CLEMONS
We mentioned on Friday that the Eagles soon would be signing Raiders defensive end Chris Clemons. The team has announced that Clemons is visiting the team on Saturday, and a press conference has been scheduled for later this afternoon.
Possible translation? It's a done deal.
Indeed, we've heard from multiple sources that it is a done deal.
Clemons, who spent three seasons with the Redskins and one year in Oakland, had eight sacks in 2007 despite starting only two games.
If/when the Eagles add their second new player in as many days, they will have completed what a reader described to us on Friday as the "Mark Twain" transaction. (If you don't get that one, then you're too young. Or we're too old. Or both.)

congrats Birds fan's good pick up I wanted to re-sighn this guy but he was low balled by the raiders or so he thought cuz of the Kelly contract.

If any1 is wondering I think this man is a poor man's Burgess who the Raiders got from Philly lol.

I think you guys will like Clemons he lead the raiders in sacks last year and didnt play much.

he's a speed rusher. He reminds me of burgess alot. I dont know how he will do if he plays lb we just had his pass rush on 3rd down or obvious passing downs.

Yeah, I know that's a stretch, but now that he's an Eagle I'm trying hard not to believe we now have the best secondary in the NFL.

And I'm not sold on Champ still being that guy. Don't get me wrong, he's great, but there was something about his '07 that wasn't quite up to his '06.

Oh, and Throwback has a guy in Oak that is no slouch, that should be mentioned.

Last, you're right about Moss, but I don't consider him a FA just because I think he stays in NE. But I could be way off.

The real question here is, who's next for the Birds. The corner thing was a bit of an issue, but it's not the WR issue. It's not the LB issue.

So I'm excited to see what follows.

I hear ya Joe about Champ but put some $$$$ on the line when you need a shut down and I will take Champ anyday. As for best secondary, they are very talented now. MY BF is an Eagles fan and he's excited. They still need help at the LB and WR positions, their biggest defiencies

I dont know why people think they need help at LB???

Theyre pretty much rock solid there with Gaither, Spikes, Gocong and Bradley

They like all of them alot and (for a change) i agree with them - they can all really play

Back