A's Trade Another?! A's Will Swallow 5 Mil!

Vapster

Awesome1#1
(01-12) 19:32 PST --
The A's and the Braves edged closer to completing a deal that would send center fielder Mark Kotsay to Atlanta in exchange for right-handed reliever Joey Devine.

Oakland also could receive a Class-A pitcher in the deal, according to a Braves source. Oakland will pay $5 million of Kotsay's $7 million salary for 2008, and the A's also will pick up the $325,000 relocation bonus Kotsay is to receive for being traded.

Kotsay is expected to have a physical in Atlanta on Monday, the Braves source said. When the A's acquired Kotsay from San Diego before the 2004 season, his medical history and the physical delayed things for several days; he has a history of back trouble and he had surgery to repair a disk in his lower back in March. "That's why this is still kind of a tentative thing," the Braves source said.

Kotsay said he has been hitting for the past month, the earliest he's been able to do so in years, and he said he feels great. If the Braves are convinced he's fine, the deal could be announced as soon as Monday.
Devine, 24, was the Braves' first-round pick in 2005 and he was brought up later that year, but he had a rough time, giving up grand slams in his first two big-league appearances, then he gave up Chris Burke's walk-off homer in the 18th inning of Game 4 of the 2005 NL Division Series against Houston, ending Atlanta's season.

"He was rushed to the big leagues," one major-league scout said. "He's got great makeup, but that kind of left him shell-shocked. A change of scenery will be good for him."

Two industry sources speculated Saturday that if the A's land Devine, they will look to move closer Huston Street. General manager Billy Beane has made no secret that he's rebuilding the team, "full bore."
Beane was not available for comment Saturday. He and his wife, Tara, welcomed twins, a boy and a girl, Jan. 4.

Huston Street and I are anxiously awwaiting to see where he's heading. My keeper team cannot have him going to be a setup guy.

why would the a's eat 5m of the 7m & pay relocation fee? not something i'd expect from billy beane

Because Kotsay is a shell of himself. Basically the same situation w/ Kendall.

Kendall and Kotsay were/are both worthless in the AL but are "serviceable" in the NL...

Ye, rebuilding time for the beanster! but you'll see what he does with this team in 2-3 years..

Great trade this time.

An injured Kotsay is useless, and thats what I fear he's become, permanently injured. Yeah Oakland ate 5 m, but they were about to eat 7m by wasting a roster space on him. Plus they picked up Joey Devine who I really like.

Don't think this means Street is gone thoughunless the return is real good...Beane recently has showed an understanding for the importance of a bullpen, think they are looking at Devine to setup Street for the future...

Rotoworld on Joey Devine:
The 2005 first-round pick throws in the mid-90s and has a terrific slider, but left-handed hitters get a good look against him because of his low arm angle and he often has control problems. He still might prove to be a closer someday if he improves, but right now, he projects as a quality setup man. Think Kiko Calero without the arm issues.

Rotoworld on Jamie Richmond:
Richmond ranked somewhere around 20th among Braves prospects. The 21-year-old went 7-6 with a 3.05 ERA, 141 H and 98/25 K/BB in 138 2/3 IP for low Single-A Rome last season. His fastball is a little below average, but he gets movement on it and commands it well. It's possible he'll develop into a fifth starter.

... looks like Billy Beane's still got it!

Usually not like the A's to eat cash. Almost always the other way around.

I like the trade, and who the hell am I to disagrree with Billy Beane. Best GM in the majors since his arrival in Oakland.

:smiley_abcs:

Don't want to hear about that kid in Boston with all of that jack to throw around every year either.

Everytime that I think that the A's are planning on eating a couple years with whatever moves that he makes, they end up making a strong ass run at it.

A's are my AL team. Does it show? lol

Steed, I'm new to the Seattle area, and I'm really looking forward to going to Safeco Field for the first time to see some good AL matchups.

Got tix already to a couple of A's games the first time that they visit.

:thumbsup:

Back