A's Acquire Smardjiza and Hammel

gsro

Give me the NHL, or give me death
Exact deal: Russell, McKinney and Straily to #Cubs for Samardzija, Hammel. According to Rosenthal

unreal..that team

<button type="button" class="user-dropdown dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle js-link js-tooltip btn plain-btn" title="More user actions" style="color: rgb(102, 117, 127); font-family: inherit; font-size: 14px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 1px solid transparent; padding: 0px 0px 0px 5px; border-top-left-radius: 4px; border-top-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-left-radius: 4px; position: relative; height: 35px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">User Actions</button>
<button class="user-actions-follow-button js-follow-btn follow-button btn" type="button" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: inherit; font-size: 14px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 1px solid rgb(59, 136, 195); padding: 4px 12px 9px; border-top-left-radius: 4px; border-top-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-left-radius: 4px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; box-shadow: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392) 0px 1px 0px inset; background: linear-gradient(rgba(0, 0, 0, 0), rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0470588)) no-repeat rgb(85, 172, 238);">Following</button>

Ken RosenthalVerified account@Ken_Rosenthal
Exact deal: Russell, McKinney and Straily to #Cubs for Samardzija, Hammel.

Best run differential in the majors and upgrade the rotation?

I'm buying, they are brilliant in that organization

What don't you get? They are loading on up prospects? They have 3 of the top 6 or 7 guys on most lists now, plus a whole bunch more. They probably have the #1 farm system in the majors after this deal.

Signing the Shark didn't make sense from a Cubs perspective. He is 30 years old right now and the Cubs are probably 2 years away from being a team that is expected to be in any sort of race. Giving him a 4 or 5 year deal when the Cubs are expected to be bad through at least next year is bad money, especially when they can land a top prospect in MLB.

From a hitting perspective, they are ridiculous in the minors, not so much on the pitching side. It's now a matter of time before they flip a prospect or two for a front line pitching prospect(s), but I don't think there's much doubt that there's a ridiculous wave of talent that will be coming over the next year to Wrigley.

What don't you get? They are loading on up prospects? They have 3 of the top 6 or 7 guys on most lists now, plus a whole bunch more. They probably have the #1 farm system in the majors after this deal.

Signing the Shark didn't make sense from a Cubs perspective. He is 30 years old right now and the Cubs are probably 2 years away from being a team that is expected to be in any sort of race. Giving him a 4 or 5 year deal when the Cubs are expected to be bad through at least next year is bad money, especially when they can land a top prospect in MLB.

From a hitting perspective, they are ridiculous in the minors, not so much on the pitching side. It's now a matter of time before they flip a prospect or two for a front line pitching prospect(s), but I don't think there's much doubt that there's a ridiculous wave of talent that will be coming over the next year to Wrigley.

while I agree with a lot of what you said, the whole "the cubs are only x amount of years away" seems to be the norm when it comes to evaluating this team year in year out..they had the best minor league farm prior to this trade and it did bolster them...sooner or later you have to bring up these top prospects to give them a shot; look at how the Rays did it tiered and brought up them accordingly...the cubs have been in a rebuild for years now and every time I hear the "only couple of years away" I laugh cause that's what was said in sharks 2nd year with the chubbies

great move for both sides, I just want Bean to get the elusive W

You trade for proven talent. Not for unproven talent. Jmo. You might get some fish that work out though.

Shark woulda had tommy john if he stayed anyways. That organization is cursed. 30 is not that old lol.

Back