article about guy that got picked by lions and avoided iraq

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
This article was in the ann arbor area newspaper..and it's appaling to say the least imo. the author is a big radio personality here in michigan and getting a lot of flak for it...im all for stating your opinion, i just don't agree with this guy's stance

Huge: Lions pick chooses football before country

Posted by [URL="http://blog.mlive.com/hugeblog/about.html"]Bill Simonson | The Huge Show[/URL] April 28, 2008 11:15AM

Categories: Huge Benchwarmer
small_cambell27.jpg
Caleb Campbell
Duty, honor, country.
Three words that define a soldier in the U.S. Army.
I know of three men with incredible athletic skills who saw their duty to America in three ways:
• Former NFL safety Pat Tillman died fighting for his country. His story of giving up fame and fortune to join the military and fight for his country in Afghanistan is among the great stories in U.S. history.
Walking away from millions of dollars in pro football to enter the Army is unheard of in today's society. His death by friendly fire doesn't diminish his duty, honor, and love of country. In this era of spineless, pampered, selfish athletes, he's someone every child should hear about for generations to come.
Tillman is a real-life American hero.
I've always wondered if I could walk away from everything for this country. That is a question none of us could answer until that day came.
• Schulyer Williamson knew he had to honor his country before baseball. During his playing days at West Point, Williamson grew into a potential major league catcher.
The Detroit Tigers made him a 26th round pick in the 2005 baseball draft. He then opted for the military academy's early release program that allows cadets to do two years of active duty near their professional sports cities and finish their remaining commitment as an Army reserve.
Schulyer played one year in the Tigers' minor league system with Oneota. He then left baseball to fight for his country in Iraq. He wanted to save the lives of Iraqi civilians and fellow soldiers in combat. He knew duty before pro baseball was his calling.
• Caleb Campbell hopes to play in the NFL instead of join his fellow 2008 West Point grads in combat. Campbell is a hard-hitting safety who the Detroit Lions drafted Sunday in the seventh round of the NFL draft. He has chosen pro football before country.
What is puzzling about Campbell's story is that West Point is centered on building leadership qualities. Yes, the rules are there to help market the academy's sports programs by giving good athletes the opt-out early parachute.
If Campbell was a leader and a man of the highest character, wouldn't he turn down the Lions and honor his duty to this country?
Even before the Lions picked him, the Army had stooped to using him in uniform as a military mascot during the NFL draft.
Is this duty, honor, country?
Campbell and the Army are spinning this as a great thing if he makes the Lions' roster. That way he can recruit for the Army for two years in Detroit to fulfill his active-duty commitment.
Think a guy like Campbell looks good as a recruiter after taking the easy way out? How does a guy leave his cadet brothers at graduation at the academy knowing they could be in harm's way and he is playing football for a living?
Caleb Campbell chose West Point. He was not forced to go there. If he wanted pro football then there are a ton of colleges where you can chase your dream.
The Army also is at fault for offering an opt-out for athletes. That sends the wrong message about character and leadership.
Men of character don't opt out.
Leaders lead by example.
Maybe Campbell should look at the stories of Tillman and Williamson to understand that when he entered West Point, duty, honor and country meant more than fame and fortune.

I totally agree with the Armys point of view here

this guy would be much more valuable to the Army as a whole as a recruiter/spokesperson if he makes it in the NFL than as a third rate officer toiling around in the Iraqi desert if he didnt...

If he does not have to serve his country by playing professional football, he should owe back the westpoint tuition. Which is amongst the most competitive college in the nation, so 40k a year would not be out of line.

I don't get why it's assumed that every person that graduates goes directly to war..

Many go into alot of different professions to serve ...Doctor, etc..

The flack this guy is getting is ridiculous IMO.

The writer should volunteer and take his place.

Very well said.

F**k this author and here's why. Has this guy any idea about this guy's family or life? No. So he is in absolutely no position to judge.

This guy has an obligation to his family first, then to his commitments. Period. I'm all for those who have offered to serve their country, I absolutely support them. But if this guy's family is back home and they can't get by or whatever, he's a danger to himself and his men in the field because his mind isn't where it should be.

This guy has an opportunity to take care of his family by playing football, the army will be there when he's done and he can serve his tour.

Meanwhile if this c*cksucker is so gung ho about the army or the war, I'm with Horn, give him a gun, a helmet, and a ticket to that debacle in the desert.

I'm guessing this guy hangs on every word that comes out of GW's mouth. His writing certainly betrays that kind of intellect.

loved the story and exposure they gave him... a little much at times it seemed, but overall we honestly need something like this to take over a lot of time; instead of talking about night club shootings, arrests, and dog fights that take over our sports.

he is valuable to the army to make the army more attractive and in turn help them, and our country...

one of the guys on PTI said it best..something along the lines of,

"shouldn't it be up to the army to best figure out what to do with someone to help the army"

Back