Army Lied to Campbell, Lions and NFL

NYGiants25

NY Giants fan, anyone?
DETROIT -- Caleb Campbell will not get a chance to play for the Detroit Lions because of a change in military policy.
"When I got drafted, I told people that I was going to have the best of both worlds," Campbell said. "I was going to be in the United States Army and I was going to have a chance to play professional football. Now, I have the best of one world and I'm very positive about that. It's all going to work out.
"I'm in great shape and I'm going to stay in great shape. I'm going to fulfil my duty to the United States Army and do what I've got to do. One day, hopefully I'll get another opportunty to play in the NFL."
Campbell was a seventh-round draft pick for the Lions in April. At the time, Army policy would have allowed the West Point graduate to serve as a recruiter if he made the team.
But a subsequent Department of Defense policy has superseded the 2005 Army policy.
In a letter to Lions president Matt Millen dated Wednesday, U.S. Army Lt. Col. Jonathan P. Liba wrote that Campbell has been ordered to give up professional football for "full-time traditional military duties."
The Lions will retain Campbell's rights until the 2009 draft. Unless another team drafts him at that point, Campbell would be considered a "street free agent" and free to sign with any team after completing his military obligations.
Liba wrote that 2nd Lt. Campbell may ask to be released from his active duty obligations in May 2010.
Liba said Campbell was allowed to enter the draft "in good faith."

What a load of crap that last line ...

Its good to see he is staying positive with his commitment to the US Army, who knows if he would have even played a down in the NFL, but hopefully he will get another chance

Curious decision, IMO, by the Army. Not going to be good at all if this kid doesn't come back safe.

Terrible decision by the Army.

They could have possibly gotten a lot of good press from a professional level athlete and used it to help recruitment.

Instead, they are going to get a lot of bad publicity. It is hard to imagine that this decision is a net positive for recruitment numbers. So in addition to possibly being unfair (keep in mind the rule was put in place in 2005 , after campbell had already committed ) , it is also bad strategy. Would expect better decision making from our military.

Would expect better decision making from our military.

I wouldn't simply based on the recruitment problems we're facing and the decisions they've been making in the recent past. You can now become a Marine with a felony on your record, that never used to be the case. We're allowing more people of questionable character and backgrounds into our armed services because we're stretched so thin.

The decision is poor, for all the reasons you guys state, but that this guy was lied to, honestly, doesn't surprise me at all simply because I've now heard enough stories about how recruiting is going for the armed services to know that lies have sadly become standard operating procedure.

Would expect better decision making from our military.

I wouldn't simply based on the recruitment problems we're facing and the decisions they've been making in the recent past. You can now become a Marine with a felony on your record, that never used to be the case. We're allowing more people of questionable character and backgrounds into our armed services because we're stretched so thin.

The decision is poor, for all the reasons you guys state, but that this guy was lied to, honestly, doesn't surprise me at all simply because I've now heard enough stories about how recruiting is going for the armed services to know that lies have sadly become standard operating procedure.

I would much more expect bad decision making from our legislative branch of government.... or our two presidential choices as compared to our military leaders.

This is terrible for the recruting process for Army football, kids now know they have no chance to get drafted by NFL if they serve and play 4 years at the academy

Back