Arizona vs Philadelphia Preview Article (Tuesday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Scoring Won’t Come Easy for Phillies or Diamondbacks on Tuesday

Arizona hosts Philadelphia on Tuesday at 9:40 ET. In a battle of youth versus experience, Philly’s starting pitcher Nick Pivetta will keep pace with Arizona’s five-time All-Star Zack Greinke.

Phillies at Diamondbacks

MLB Pick: Under

Philadelphia’s Nick Pivetta's (6-9, 4.75) ERA is misleading because of bad luck, namely a .339 opposing BABIP (batting average of balls in play), despite inducing more soft contact and lower line drive and hard contact rates. His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) is 3.58, 1.29 lower than last season. He’s achieving more strikeouts, while yielding fewer walks and homers. He’s inducing more chases on pitches outside the zone and more whiffs on pitches inside. Also, he’s staying ahead of the count, achieving a five percent higher first-pitch strike rate. Pivetta, shows fine form, achieving an FIP of 3.00 or under in two of his last three starts. He has a 35-to-3 strikeout-to-walk ratio in his last four starts.

Last year, Pivetta threw his fastball 66% of the time. This year, his fastball is still his favorite pitch—he throws it with 52% frequency— but he’s also amped up his curveball and slider usage. Both pitches comprise 39% of his arsenal. His fastball is more effective because its velocity is higher and hitters are less able to sit on it because he’s sequencing his pitches more unpredictably. His curveball has improved the most. It benefits from a 15 mph velocity differential with his fastball that keeps hitters off-balance. Last season he threw more balls with it, but this season more strikes. He’s also able to vary its location, although he likes to keep it low, where it plays well off a high heater. Moreover, he’s added significantly more vertical and horizontal movement to it that makes it more elusive. He’s throwing it more frequently with two strikes and whiffing more batters with it.

Arizona ranks 23rd in slugging against Pivetta’s pitches. Based on the metric xSLG-SLG, which compares a team’s slugging rate with what it should be, Arizona is strongly overachieving against his breaking stuff. Diamondback batters will also struggle with his velocity. They rank 28th in slugging against the high-velo (94-99 mph) fastball.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Diamondback Zack Greinke (12-6, 2.96 ERA) had a tough-luck loss last week, giving up only two runs, but not receiving run support. Greinke has yet to allow more than two runs in his first home start following a loss—this situation has occurred four times. Greinke faced Philadelphia once and struggled, but that was in April when he was having a rough start to the season. He’s showing great form, allowing two runs or fewer in eight consecutive starts.

Greinke throws his fastball with 43% frequency. He relies on its good location away from the middle and on creating similar horizontal and vertical release points to mask which pitch approaches the batter. He’s also excellent with pitch sequencing and will often work backwards and throw his fastball with two strikes in order to remain unpredictable. Greinke is also famous for his hard change-up, which averages three mph less than his fastball, as opposed to the usual seven or eight mph. It’s also elusive with its moderate arm-side movement.

His elite quality defies match-up considerations, especially at home, where his FIP is 2.82. For example, the Dodgers rank fifth in slugging against his three favorite pitches but he yielded a 0.83 FIP against them at home. Philly ranks 23rd in the category. Phillies batters are also slumping away from home, where they’ve scored ten runs in their last five games. Philly’s two BA leaders, Odubel Herrera and Maikel Franco, are combined 3-for-20 (.150) in August.

In Philly’s bullpen, Pat Neshek is untouchable and Seranthony Dominguez and Victor Arano boast sub-2 ERA’s. For Arizona, former Ranger Jake Diekman has yielded only one run outside of Texas and T.J. McFarland hasn’t conceded in consecutive outings since June 4. Both bullpens will secure the „under."

Ugh I gotta finish this article before I look into that man. Such bullshit. I was writing a very clean cap and then I suddenly see that they changed pitchers on me WHILE i was fucking half-way through the article, I couldn't believe my eyes. This one's hard to figure out now lol I can barely keep my eyes open now lol

Ugh I gotta finish this article before I look into that man. Such bullshit. I was writing a very clean cap and then I suddenly see that they changed pitchers on me WHILE i was fucking half-way through the article, I couldn't believe my eyes. This one's hard to figure out now lol I can barely keep my eyes open now lol

I swear I saw philly up 2-0 in the 9th and not even 5 min later it was 2-2

I just saw they played 14 innings tonight. Anyone from the pens unavailable you think tomorrow?

Ok Arano pitched a billion pitches so i'm sure he'll sit. Dominguez has pitched in consecutive outings now --both blown saves-- so ouch. Ramos injured. Neshek will be fresh that should be an easy inning.

Arizona's situation looks better with its depth. Although I don't like that high team bullpen FIP. McFarland Bradley Chafin all threw--the latter two in consecutive outings. McFarland only threw 10 pitches. Diekman and Hirano will be ready

Ok Arano pitched a billion pitches so i'm sure he'll sit. Dominguez has pitched in consecutive outings now --both blown saves-- so ouch. Ramos injured. Neshek will be fresh that should be an easy inning.

Arizona's situation looks better with its depth. Although I don't like that high team bullpen FIP. McFarland Bradley Chafin all threw--the latter two in consecutive outings. McFarland only threw 10 pitches. Diekman and Hirano will be ready

Guessing based on recent numbers that Pivetta goes six innings. So seven with Neshek. Then we get into worry zone a bit.

With Greinke I think 6-7. Then Diekman and McFarland should be good for two innings.

Oh god. That means Neris could pitch for philly or did they move him? He’s killed me, and McFarland has screwed my under bets before too lol

Guessing based on recent numbers that Pivetta goes six innings. So seven with Neshek. Then we get into worry zone a bit.

With Greinke I think 6-7. Then Diekman and McFarland should be good for two innings.

Position players might sit too after a long game. Most likely their catchers if they caught all 14 innings.

I know I mentioned some relievers in my article but I might as well edit out Neris and Dominguez at this point. Kinda iffy. I mean obviously I like both starters

Eh yeah I tried to fade Pivetta after he had a few bad outings but he did well lol. I just wrote about his poor form at the time, mainly I liked the spot for his opponent

Philly’s Nick Pivetta (4-6, 4.25 ERA) shows worrisome form. Pivetta’s goal entering his second year was to reduce his fastball usage and develop a more varied pitching arsenal. In three starts from May 16 to May 27, Pivetta threw his fastball with only 34.93% frequency. He allowed three runs and achieved 25 strikeouts in those 19 innings. But in his three starts since May 27, Pivetta is not delivering his other pitches consistently. In the three-start stretch in May, his two main breaking pitches, the curveball and slider, yielded a max .11 foot disparity between starts in vertical release point. Since then, his curveball and slider have shown disparities as great as .31, .19, and .18 feet. Conversely, his fastball shows consistency from start to start in its vertical release points, so he’s throwing it with over 50% frequency. Nonetheless, his fastball has dropped in average rotations per movement. Its reduced spin is giving it less rising action so that he’s inducing whiffs with 7.15% lower frequency. He is struggling to elevate his fastball, leaving it with greater concentration in the middle, more hittable regions of the plate. For instance, he's leaving it with .51% more frequency over the heart of the plate.

One thing you can always count on w/Greinke is Mathis catching. It's why the Dbacks carry 3 catchers

With likely AZ bullpen advantage certainly AZ ML looks better. But that's -157 and the under will be much less chalk

I've been transitioning into college football. Wrote my first article last Sunday and am preparing for my next batch of RSW articles

Was in Maui on opening weekend one time and Notre Dame played Navy I think, in Ireland. Shit was on in the middle of the night live....they're 3 hours behind us and Ireland is 8 hours ahead lol....so 11 hour time difference. Cray

Back