APT French Open Prop Bet

I thought about that bet myself.

I also thought about Federer +1.5 sets at +105 and Nadal at 3-2 for +550. But I settled with just going ML.

I hope you hit it, I would not be surprised, at all, to see this go five sets.

Good luck, B.

Good luck, guys.

Federer, if he has any shot tomorrow, will need for Nadal to have a very bad day at the office. And, Roger will have to hit "AT LEAST" 70% first serves.

Otherwise, Nadal wins rather routinely in 3-4 sets.

The only thing that worries me is that Federer didn't cruise in the semis.

Obviously the past results figure in, but I sort of wish Roger was more obviously on a mission.

But I think tomorrow is a big historical thing and I don't think the magnitude of it will be lost on Federer. I think he steps up.

Joe Public-

I sure hope so, man. I really want to see Roger get it done.

Yeah, Roger certainly struggled in his semi, but Davydenko is a hell of a clay-court player. But, Roger did get out of Dodge in straights, and energy that would've been spent grinding in a 4th or 5th set vs Davydenko (who can cover a lot of ground and act like a backboard) is now on reserve for tomorrow. And that will help---certainly won't hurt.

I've seen Nadal play live before (in 2004 at Indian Wells before he really became "Rafael Nadal'), and man it is scary. That top-spin with which he hits is so goddamn ferocious, it isn't funny, man. Literally, Joe Public, the balls he hits clear the net by several feet and then dip drastically. He hits so hard that the round tennis ball becomes an oblong oval looking thing before it hits the court on the other side of the net, and then it takes a sudden kick out left or right, depending on the angle where it come off his raquet. You can even hear the whirring of the ball in the air it is over-spinning so much. It is incredible to see from the stands, and I can only imagine what it must be like to try to time that crap and hit it back to him.

He can get that ball to drop.......like a baseball pitcher's curve ball that just "falls off the table" before crossing the plate.

Nadal is scary. All I can say.

Good luck, man.

That's a great post, Clay.

I played tennis all the way up into college and considered myself not too shabby. But I know that there are, or were, a good two entire levels above my best game that I probably never could have even competed at.

So I would have really liked to have seen Nadal in person to get a live idea of what you're talking about. It sounds fascinating to me.

I'm also jealous of those who get to play on clay regularly, it's the one surface I've never played on. I've even played on astroturf, but never clay. It looks fun as f**k. Fast, really fast, and dirty, but fun.

Good luck to you tomorrow as well.

Yeah, there are totally different levels out there, for sure. Even in the pros. There are Federer and Nadal, and then a MAJOR drop-off....and those dropping off are slam winners and multi-million dollar a year pros.

Astounding.

I never liked clay, myself, but I do think it is the best tennis around. To play right on clay, you got to be able to slide into the shots. Otherwise, it is hard to get in a rhythm if you are always slipping.

Never liked turf/grass, either. I'm a hardcourt man.

Good stuff, Joe P. Didn't know you were a tennis man. Keep posting!!!!

Cheers

Yep, I like hardcourt, too. I don't really like turf, but I found grass to be fun. Just like you're saying about clay, I found if you could get into the rhythm of it, it was a blast.

Also, it never hurts that if you have to dive on grass, you're, well, diving on grass rather than anything else.

I can safely tell you that, in my day, if you'd have put me on clay, I would have come out of a match looking like I'd just been mud wrestling down at the local pub rather than playing tennis.

Joe really likes to leave it all on the court. In most areas of his life.

=)

Good one, Joe P.

I sure as hell wouldn't mind mud-wrestling with some of the WTA hotties:

Hingis
Queen Booty
Ivanovic
Clijsters

Hahahahahahahaha

Paris forecast for the Main Event in 3.5 hours:

Light winds, scattered clouds, temps in mid 60s to low 70s (farenheit).

HUGE plus for Federer is this weather. Little wind will help him immensely.

I'd love to see the great man win this today but the way Federer struggles with Nadal's wicked topspin on both wings I just can't see him getting through the guy today. In Hamburg the bounce is significantly lower than what you get on Chartrier hence the reason why Federer did so well against Nadal a fortnight ago.

Federer also had a very uninspiring SF victory over Davydenko who was in a position to win each of the 3 sets they played. I can assure you if Nadal gets into similar positions he will not be as generous.

Nadal -4 for me and to confirm himself as one the greatest claycourters in the open era....

GL fellas

Back