Apparently it wasn't steroids......

pressitup

Leader of the Adult Humor Industry
[SIZE=+2]North Texas football players fail drug tests

[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1] [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]11:51 PM CDT on Monday, October 27, 2008

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle
bvito@dentonrc.com
[/SIZE] Nearly 18 percent of North Texas football players failed drug tests conducted this fall at the request of head coach Todd Dodge, according to documents obtained by the Denton Record-Chronicle.
Fifteen members of the team tested positive out of a pool of 86 players selected by the coaching staff. UNT tested members of the team who were contributing on a regular basis.
"I don't think we have a problem with drugs, but I will say that it's every coach's prerogative to test his team," Dodge said. "It's a great tool to help players stay away from drugs and temptations.
"When I talked to my team about drug testing all of them, I told them that if there was one young man on our team who secretly needed help, if it saved one young man from getting in trouble or ending up dead, then it is worth it."
Players who fail a drug test must attend drug counseling and are subject to additional tests. A second offense results in a suspension, additional testing and mandatory counseling. A third offense leads to a suspension from the team while he undergoes a rehabilitation program.
A fourth offense results in a player being dismissed from the team and having his scholarship revoked.
UNT conducted its tests from Sept. 24 to Oct. 15.
The NCAA tested 20 UNT players Sept. 30. The university has not yet received the results of those tests. UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal declined to comment on the results of the tests.
The school normally tests athletes at random.
"We call ourselves a team, and it was appropriate to test the entire team," Dodge said. "I don't go by the protocol of what every other team has done.
"We are past it now and can go down the road."
That road has been a rough one for UNT.
The Mean Green is 0-8, its worst start ever, and has lost nine in a row overall.
Dodge came to UNT after winning four state titles in his last five seasons at Southlake Carroll and has increased interest in the program. UNT averaged 17,734 fans per game last season, its highest total since 2003, and is averaging 18,754 fans this season.

I saw this last night. I am curious how many starters were on that list. The line was 18 the last time I checked and was leaning N Tex with hopes the line would continue to rise. I am sure this line will explode, but will be laying off unless the guilty are backups. Even then will be hesitant due to the lack of depth on small schools. For those that have played W Ken, good call. You should feel real good about your pick now.

Gotta respect the coach for doing it. Team is dreadful anyway, but its refreshing to see a coach who's concerned with keeping his players going down the right path

I would imagine self sanction. If the coach is willing to randomly test his athletes, he has to be willing to sit them for a game. Now that this is out in the public, he has to. If not, he is condoning this behavior.

I would imagine self sanction. If the coach is willing to randomly test his athletes, he has to be willing to sit them for a game. Now that this is out in the public, he has to. If not, he is condoning this behavior.

We'll see i I'm sitting on North Texas +17 and I'm not sure what to do. If its members of the defense, it might not matter all that much as they can't get any worse.

However, if its Fitzgerald/Vizza/etc. that's a problem for betting purposes. Wonder if we'll see Dodge's son at the helm.

We'll see i I'm sitting on North Texas +17 and I'm not sure what to do. If its members of the defense, it might not matter all that much as they can't get any worse.

However, if its Fitzgerald/Vizza/etc. that's a problem for betting purposes. Wonder if we'll see Dodge's son at the helm.

I was leaning your direction. I have played against N Tex over the last 3 weeks going 2-1. N Tex covered my line against U-LA-MO, and I like that team much better than W Ken. Needless to say, I saw alot of value in N Tex. I am now thinking it does not matter who is on that list at this time. The teams morale has to be shot. Probably a little distrust in the coach with a devided locker room. Those that stand by the players and those behind the coach. As far as the coaches son, I hope not. Although, it would be funny.

I was leaning your direction. I have played against N Tex over the last 3 weeks going 2-1. N Tex covered my line against U-LA-MO, and I like that team much better than W Ken. Needless to say, I saw alot of value in N Tex. I am now thinking it does not matter who is on that list at this time. The teams morale has to be shot. Probably a little distrust in the coach with a devided locker room. Those that stand by the players and those behind the coach. As far as the coaches son, I hope not. Although, it would be funny.

He's actually a very highly touted recruit. Would be interesting to see what he could do.

worst team in collegiate football. plus like 30 every week

You are probably right. However, I took -19 @ UL-MO and I have to believe that UL-MO is better than W Ken on a neutal site. Probably by 8-9 points. Thus giving a value in my mind to N Tex. Both have played stiff competition this year for the payday, but give the edge to N Tex in that manner. Neither of which have been able to put up points on the teams they were supposed to lose to, but have the capability to score on each other.

You are probably right. However, I took -19 @ UL-MO and I have to believe that UL-MO is better than W Ken on a neutal site. Probably by 8-9 points. Thus giving a value in my mind to N Tex. Both have played stiff competition this year for the payday, but give the edge to N Tex in that manner. Neither of which have been able to put up points on the teams they were supposed to lose to, but have the capability to score on each other.
LOL, how does either team win that game

lol

the tests were done a while ago - the line hasn't budged b/c the players were already punished, and it for some reason just became public now.

He's actually a very highly touted recruit. Would be interesting to see what he could do.

Riley Dodge made one of the greatest plays I had ever seen, two years ago during the state championship.
Lining up in the shotgun, blowing chunks, taking the snap and throwing a td pass that clinches state.

I found it on youtube, but it's not as good as the Fox broadcast that had the camera on Riley when it happened.
It was surreal.

Press

Here's the link, I'm not smart enough to embed the video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMUj6cGZGM

95% of the Div I teams in football would have more players suspended then this if all 85 players took random drug tests from the coach.

In the NFL they get tested three times a year and the trainer tells them when they are coming. Gives them time to cover up any street drug or anything else they are taking.

Back