Any chance NIU loses on purpose to Kent St?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
G

Gyno

Is there any chance NIU loses on purpose so the conference gets more money? Is this angle legit?

So no chance of this happening shark? How much $ does it mean for the conference if Kent St wins?

if kent goes to a BCS bowl, the conf gets around 18 million from the BCS games.

maybe the better question is whether the refs will give Kent a little assist to assure they win?

if kent goes to a BCS bowl, the conf gets around 18 million from the BCS games.

maybe the better question is whether the refs will give Kent a little assist to assure they win?

Oh fuck!! Oh no.

Under the BCS, the only way the champion from a league like the MAC earns an automatic bid is if the team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS standings, or ranked in the top 16, and higher than a conference champion from one of the automatic-qualifying leagues.
Since the inception of the BCS, four schools from non-AQ conferences have played in BCS bowl games — Utah (2004, 2008), Boise State (2006, 2009), Hawaii (2007) and TCU (2009, 2010).Steinbrecher, speaking during Monday’s MAC coaches teleconference, said the new system is a “big get” for the conference, and likes his league’s chances of competing for the new bowl slot.There’s also the issue of revenue distribution. Steinbrecher wouldn’t go into specific numbers, but said the new system will bring a lot more money to the conference and its member schools.According to the BCS media guide, the current non-AQ conferences will receive $14.1 million this season, nine percent of the BCS revenue, if no team from one of the five current leagues participates in a BCS game. Steinbrecher said the non-AQ conferences split half of it, with the other half awarded based on competitive factors.

Doubtful but as etg said ...niu might have to hold more than normal to contain the kent st defense ...cough cough.

Think it was Jumponboard who rightly pointed out that there is still an outside shot of niu getting in with a win and help too ... and the mac game is before the other relevant games in the situation.

i think its a great question. Btw, what happened to tettleton? He played like such a puss against them. It's the year of Kent State. Their programs are rolling.

Last edited:
Kent State would get $28.2 million for being the non-AQ representative in the BCS rotation. That's the number guaranteed this year to the non-AQ champion that qualifies. (In Kent's case, that would be top 16 in final BCS standings if it is higher than a conference with an automatic berth. This year, that is almost certainly the Big East and could be the Big Ten as well.)That money would be shared among the 60 or so schools in the six non-AQ conferences. There hasn't been a non-AQ in the BCS since Boise State in 2009. Georgia Tech would collect the standard $23.6 million for being the ACC automatic qualifier.

As the non-automatic-conference qualifier, Kent State would get $28.2 million, but that would have to be shared with the 60 schools from the MAC and other non-AQ conferences, according to CBS Sports (link below). A more traditional BCS bowl bid would mean an extra $17 million for the MAC, to be shared only by Kent and its fellow MAC members.

cologist no way I should not say that because who know's but no UNI will go all out on kent state UNI is a real good team this team could beat some real good team;s in the top 25 like I said this team just keeps on coming I like UNI they roll big time this team is just to good

SEC officials have done it for years so why not the MAC ?

^^^ This ^^^

Mike Slive has to be the most corrupt conference commissioner in the country. Quite honestly he should be in prison IMO. But then again, you could say that about most people holding positions of power in this country.

^^^ This ^^^

Mike Slive has to be the most corrupt conference commissioner in the country. Quite honestly he should be in prison IMO. But then again, you could say that about most people holding positions of power in this country.

Amen brother, amen..

I don’t think the fix will be in – too obvious and would put huge black eye on the conference. Sure, the entire MAC wants KSU to win, but I think the refs will be instructed to call a fair game. So, I'm not taking too much stock into the Refs playing a big part in the game.. And I see no way Northern Illy players tank a game those guys dont care the school or the conference is making a ton of money and they wont see it</SPAN></SPAN>

Good post zip..

Do you bet NFL? You like Cincy?

I like Cincy this weekend.. but Im waiting to hear the status on hawkins and Sanu who popped up on the injury report yesterday and was limited in practice..Sanu has been a huge part of this offense the last few weeks and if he ends up not playing and hawkins is still out(although they think he will play sunday) I might have to lower my play a little bit. Defense is playing lights out right now and the dline has found their stride..

I like Cincy this weekend.. but Im waiting to hear the status on hawkins and Sanu who popped up on the injury report yesterday and was limited in practice..Sanu has been a huge part of this offense the last few weeks and if he ends up not playing and hawkins is still out(although they think he will play sunday) I might have to lower my play a little bit. Defense is playing lights out right now and the dline has found their stride..
Sanu is out for the year with a stress fracture in his foot. He had some td's last few games but not much yardage or number of catches...juts a possession guy so I don't think he's been a huge part of the offense....maybe see what marvin jones has for a week till Hawk is back.

not sure if this has been brought out....but this actually was out there last year i believe with Houston vs Southern MIss..if they won they would go to BCS but they ended up losing..... conference lost out on millions

Sanu is out for the year with a stress fracture in his foot. He had some td's last few games but not much yardage or number of catches...juts a possession guy so I don't think he's been a huge part of the offense....maybe see what marvin jones has for a week till Hawk is back.

True, not big numbers but a big part of the redzone offense which the bengals do struggle with at times. Baby hawk and jones will be back sunday so that should help the offense. I think Dalton was gaining a lot of trust in Sanu.. I think bengals have been 11 for 13 for Td's in the redzone when Sanu started the last 3 weeks.. not all because of Sanu but he does pose some matchup problems in the redzone with Gresham and Green as well..

Back