Another MWC Head Coach goes down. See ya Chuck Long.

JPicks

Pretty much a regular
Source: SDSU fires Long despite AD's assurance job was safe

ESPN.com news services
Updated: November 23, 2008, 2:24 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
San Diego State has fired coach Chuck Long, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Joe Schad on Sunday.

The Aztecs athletic department has scheduled a news conference for 4 p.m. ET Sunday, regarding an announcement about its football program, according to the school's Web site.

Long had been assured of his position in public statements by athletic director Jeff Schemmel. But San Diego State is 2-10 and 1-7 in the Mountain West after snapping a seven-game losing streak with a 42-21 defeat of UNLV on Saturday.

Long, a former Iowa quarterback, was hired by the Aztecs in 2005 after spending four seasons as offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. San Diego State was Long's first head coaching job.

While at Iowa, Long was runner-up to Bo Jackson for the 1985 Heisman Trophy in the closest vote in history. He guided the Hawkeyes to the Big Ten title and the Rose Bowl that season.

He was Oklahoma's passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach when the Sooners won the national championship in 2000 and was offensive coordinator when Jason White won the 2003 Heisman and when Adrian Peterson and White finished 2-3 in 2004.

Long got his coaching start at Iowa in 1995 after playing eight seasons in the NFL, with the St. Louis Rams and Detroit Lions. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1999.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Yeah, this was overdue. SDSU football has been going downhill so fast the last decade or so. The way they've been going they will either not have a football program at all or will need to drop to the FCS.

A little surprised by this if for no other reason I don't know where the 1.5M+ is going to come from to buy him out...

Funny little Steve Fairchild moment yesterday speaking of MWC coaches. At the end of his presser yesterday he let out a "Go Utes" that was recorded. I'm guessing there was more than one MWC coach/AD looking for a Utah victory to help out the pocket books.

A little surprised by this if for no other reason I don't know where the 1.5M+ is going to come from to buy him out...

That was my thoughts as well and also the reason that Sanford won't be canned in UNLV.

I'll just turn this into a little MWC thread with some random notes around the league before the Bowls.

Gary Patterson is pissed. I hope like hell that they play BSU in the Poinsetta Bowl.

TCU Still Not Getting Respect

By Josh Harvey BigPurpleNation.com Publisher

It seems like no matter whom TCU beats or how many wins they wrack up (40 in four-years), the Horned Frogs never get the respect they deserve. When the USA Today Coaches Poll came out earlier in the week, #17 TCU found themselves behind #14 BYU. This was significant because TCU destroyed the Cougars four weeks ago on national television by 25 points. While TCU did have one more loss than BYU, their two blemishes came against #5 Oklahoma and #7 Utah. After tonight’s blowout victory against Air Force, TCU Coach Gary Patterson expressed his disappointment in the lack of respect for TCU.

“I was a little mystified that BYU jump ahead of us in the coaches poll. I don’t understand it. I stood on the field and it was dominating game. I haven’t said that very often,” said Coach Gary Patterson. “Mark May said on ESPN the other night that BYU is the best non-BCS team out there. I’m going to tell you right now. He needs to bring all of the them into Fort Worth. We’ll play Utah again, we’ll play Boise, you just name the team. You just bring them to Fort Worth and we’ll see how they like it. We’ll play anyone that wants to play.”

Earlier today, Utah used a great defensive performance to beat BYU, 48-24. The Cougars now have two losses and will fall back behind TCU in the rankings.

“The thing I have been a little disappointed about is that everyone has forgotten about TCU. I’m going to tell you something right now. We were 59 minutes and 13 seconds better than Utah, and we beat BYU handily,” stated Coach Patterson. “If they really want to set it up, they need to put us with somebody ranked, put a Boise State with one of our teams in some bowl game if they want a little publicity and if Boise State doesn’t make a BCS game. That is nothing against Chris Peterson and Boise, they have a great football team.”

In 2003, TCU played Boise State in the Fort Worth bowl, losing a very close contest 34-31. It sounds like Coach Gary Patterson is ready for a rematch.

“I would love to. I like to play the best. Right here in the Fort Worth Bowl again or in the Humanitarian Bowl. I don’t care. We’ll go play on the blue.

There is a outside chance that the Frogs could face Boise State in the Poinsettia Bowl on December 23rd. Currently the Broncos are undefeated, but sitting behind Utah for the automatic non-BCS bid. It is unlikely that two teams from non-BCS conferences will both get in.

“Mark May said on ESPN the other night that BYU is the best non-BCS team out there."

that pretty much sums up mark may's credibility. i don't believe there are many people in the country that are worse at their jobs than he is.

Joe Glenn replacement

"Rivals.com Staff

Rivals.com has learned that Nebraska receivers coach Ted Gilmore will interview for the vacant Wyoming coaching job Tuesday with the school's president and athletic director.

Gilmore, 41, played receiver from 1988-89 at Wyoming after arriving from a junior college. Gilmore began his coaching career at Wyoming in 1994 as a graduate assistant, and was made a full-time assistant in 1997.

Gilmore also had stints coaching receivers at Kansas, Houston, Purdue and Colorado before joining Bill Callahan's Nebraska staff in 2005. Gilmore, who also coordinates recruiting for the Huskers, was retained by Bo Pelini in 2008.

Gilmore is a native of Wichita, Kan.

Wyoming is looking to replace Joe Glenn, who was fired after six seasons in Laramie"

AD moving quickly to replace hime

any word on who may replace Long?...

Rumors, and I repeat simply rumors, has Terry Bowden as a possibility. The rumors have been floating for a couple weeks now that he contacted SDSU about being interested and that's what led to Long to being fired after he was given a vote of confidence by the AD. The idea is that they were quick to fire Long as they didn't want to lose a prospective coach in the waiting. I'd be surprised, but it's what's floating around at the moment.

Ted Gilmore what about Rod Gilmore?

Mack thinks Rod should be in charge of the BCS

What took so long? They made a mistake hiring the guy in the first place, he should be a lifelong assistant. It makes you wonder why SDSU would wait 4 whole years to cut bait and find somebody else.

appreciate the info. jpicks...

:shake:

What took so long? They made a mistake hiring the guy in the first place, he should be a lifelong assistant. It makes you wonder why SDSU would wait 4 whole years to cut bait and find somebody else.

All about the $$$'s when it comes to SDSU. They probably couldn't afford to make the move even now if it wasn't for the fact that they'll have an extra 500K thanks to Utah going to the BCS.

Great post on Patterson, and he is absolutely right in what he says. That is an absolute travashamockery that BYU could be voted ahead of TCU in the coaches poll. What in the world are these guys looking at? Just look at those two losses...the Utah game was just a terrible beat for them when they outplayed them and the kicking game failed them in the clutch and Oklahoma for the other loss. TCU rush defense is incredible and don't they lead the country in sacks? I don't blame him for being pissed. I hope that they get a decent matchup in the Bowls, they truly deserve it.

Major Applewhite interviewed for the Wyoming job.

Yep.

Ted Gilmore tomorrow and they're trying to get Dave Christian (OC, Missouri) to interview as well but that may not happen for multiple reasons. John L. Smith's name keeps popping up as well.

Not sure anybody, other than Kyle, cares but Utah State insiders are reporting that Utah DC Gary Anderson will be named the new Utah State coach on Monday.

Not sure anybody, other than Kyle, cares but Utah State insiders are reporting that Utah DC Gary Anderson will be named the new Utah State coach on Monday.

nice. good game from the boys today too...held nmsu to two free throws.

Anderson might be best part of whole staff for utes :)

I really don't know what to say.

Long was terrible, so I'm not exactly shocked. But horses is right...how the hell are we gonna pay him all that dough?

And while I don't think Terry Bowden is anything special, at least he might be able to bring some good recruits to SDSU. That would be a start...

:popcorn:

nice. good game from the boys today too...held nmsu to two free throws.

Anderson might be best part of whole staff for utes :)

Yep. He's solid. He's been at Utah for at least as long as I've been here. When Whittingham was the DC Anderson was the DLine coach. Still think it's political suicide to take that job, but wish him well.

OK, I give up, what is his connection to Wyoming? Maybe there isn't one?

I don't think there is one honestly. Certainly have read a ton about the hire and haven't seen anything that shows a connection between him and anything related to Wyoming.

Andersen said to have accepted offer to become USU head football coach
By Tony Jones
The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 12/03/2008 05:32:37 PM MST

Gary Andersen has orally accepted the job and is expected to become Utah State's next football coach, multiple sources have told The Salt Lake Tribune. He is yet to sign a contract.

The official announcement is expected to come at a news conference Thursday. Athletic Director Scott Barnes also has scheduled a meeting Thursday with members of the school's booster program, sources said.
Andersen, the defensive coordinator at Utah, would replace outgoing coach Brent Guy.

Andersen is in his 11th overall season on the Utah staff and his fifth since spending the 2003 season as Southern Utah's head coach.

With the Utes, he's overseen one of the best defenses in the country, as Utah went unbeaten and is headed to a BCS bowl. It's not known whether Andersen will stay on to coach in the bowl game, though there is precedent to do so with Urban Meyer's move to Florida in 2004.

Andersen has visited Utah State's campus twice in the past two days.

On Tuesday, Andersen missed the Utes' practice for "personal reasons."

Should start owning utah now ......

lmao. He will be coaching Utah along with their new DC in the bowl game. I'm sure Utah is looking to get out of playing Utah State affective immediately.

New defensive coordinator
Utes' Sitake gets big promotion

Shortly after being introduced as Utah's new defensive coordinator, Kalani Sitake slipped and mentioned the "Crimson Tide" instead of the "Crimson Club."

Forgive him of the slight - his thoughts are focused more on his first challenge as Utah's coordinator than anything else right now.

Sitake, who has been Utah's inside linebackers coach since 2005, replaces Gary Andersen as Utah's defensive coordinator. Andersen accepted the job as Utah State's head coach Thursday but will assist the Utes in their bowl preparations.

Sources said Sitake would follow Andersen to Utah State, but Utah announced Sitake was staying on coach Kyle Whittingham's staff after the two met Friday.

"This is a good position to be in," Sitake said. "At the same time, there are a lot of expectations. I've had Gary to watch the last four years and a good mentor in Kyle to go for sound advice, so I'm going to keep trying to learn."

Sitake said he had already started prepping for Alabama in anticipation of a Sugar Bowl meeting against the Tide.

"I can't stop thinking about it," he said. "I guess that is what happens when you become coordinator."

Whittingham said he has a list of candidates to fill Andersen's duties as Utah's defensive line coach, but his first priority was retaining Sitake.

Sources: N. Mexico to hire 4th black coach in FBS

ESPN.com news services

Illinois offensive coordinator Mike Locksley has agreed to become the head coach at New Mexico, sources close to the situation said Monday, making him the fourth African-American head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the former Division I-A.

Locksley, who also interviewed for the vacant head-coaching position at Clemson according to a source, was is in his fourth season as offensive coordinator at Illinois.

He will replace Rocky Long, who resigned Nov. 17 after 11 seasons as head coach.

A 17-year coaching veteran, Locksley previously was running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Florida under Ron Zook, with whom he works at Illinois.

San Diego State narrows search, UNLV’s Sanford gets extension

Posted on December 10, 2008 by Jeremy

The secretive job search for the next San Diego State head coach is leaking out. The San Diego Union Tribune is reporting that there are three finalist for their vacant job. As mentioned last week one is current San Francisco 49er offensive coordinator Mike Martz, Former Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione, and current UCLA defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker all are having second interviews.

Mike Martz is an interesting choice since he has been in the NFL since 1999 and was a head coach for a few years, but he has served plenty of time in the college ranks. Martz would be the flashy hire with his offense that might be able bring the Aztecs out of the basement in the MWC and lure in recruits who like his offensive style. Below is Martz’s college coaching history.

San Diego Mesa: 1974, 1976-1977
San Jose State: 1975
Santa Ana College: 1978
Fresno State University: 1979
University of the Pacific: 1980-1981
University of Minnesota: 1982
Arizona State University: 1983-1987 as quarterback and wide receiver coach. Was the offensive coordinator in 1984 and from 1988-1991.

Dennis Franchione is known best for turning New Mexico and TCU around from nothing, but he had trouble brining high profile schools as Alabama and Texas A&M up to a higher level.

Walker is just up the road at UCLA and is a great coach, and would instantly help with recruiting in southern California and especially in Los Angeles.
This is some what of a surprise that San Diego State is going after big names, because their football program brings in little or no money. However, that BCS money from Utah will help in the hire with extra cash.

In other coaching news in the league UNLV coach Mike Sanford is getting a three year extension, this coming from the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Sanford’s extension will keep him at UNLV through the 2012 season. This past year Sanford was on the hot seat after winning only six games in his three year tenure, but this year the team starting off hot and settled with five wins.

AD Hamrick saw enough improvement to grant the contract extension, and recruits have noticed the steps forward as well. This is shaping up to be Sanford’s best class.

UNLV’s recruiting class looks to be very good which could be why an extension was giving, and the prospects to next year look good with a possible bowl bid.

I don't mind the decision for an extension at all. With high turnover at the coaching slot , it is just too hard for this program to get any momentum. The program has made strides on the field and we are getting better recruits now than just a few short years ago. In addition , there are severe cutbacks being made at UNLV and a search for and hiring of a new coach would have cost the university a lot of money that it simply can't afford right now. Hopefully , we turn the corner and sort of take over the position that new mexico has had in the conference as "best of the rest" behind byu , utah and newcomer tcu.

If the Aztecs bring in Franchione, I may have to disassociate myself with the program...he is one of my least favorite people on the college football scene...fucking scumbag.

Martz would be fun...

Walker would be the best choice.

Good deal on Sanford getting an extension; I think it's deserved. Sometimes schools just have to realize 'who they are.'

I woud blow a load in my pants if we got Martz or Walker. Either would probably be the best coaching hire for the Aztecs in school history.

And, I'm with my buddy horses on Franchione. Please God, don't let that happen!

:23_31_4:

Utah football: Ludwig leaving to be O.C. at Kansas State
By Lya Wodraska
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 12/17/2008 04:15:24 PM MST

Utah offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig has accepted an offer to be Kansas State's offensive coordinator, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham announced Wednesday.

"It's a great opportunity for him," Whittingham said.

The search for a new coordinator begins immediately, but Whittingham said he won't name one before the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2.
Ludwig will coach the Utes through the bowl game.

Back