Another Blockbuster; Kidd to Mavs

reNew Orleans

Clubbin' with Rasual Butler
According to reports from KFAN radio in New York, Jason Kidd has been traded to the Dallas Mavericks.

The proposed deal, as we understand it, has Dallas sending point guard Devin Harris, swingman Jerry Stackhouse, center DeSegana Diop, Devean George and another player (Mo Ager?) to New Jersey for Kidd and guard Darrell Armstrong. We're still awaiting more officiall reports on the deal, but it sounds like Kidd's run in New Jersey is over. And if Harris is going to the Nets, Marcus Williams will continue to be nothing more than a backup. Feb. 13 - 2:18 pm et
Source: Dallas Morning News

could explain why the lines are down right now

different sources with different trades

The Nets agree to trade All-Star point guard Jason Kidd and Malik Allen to the Mavericks for Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, Devean George, DeSagana Diop, Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and cash, sources tell Tony Mejia of CBSSports.com.

my bad...i didn't see this thread...disregard my thread..mavs are a threat now even without harris and stack...jkidd is going to be awesome for this mavs team

The Nets agree to trade All-Star point guard Jason Kidd and Malik Allen to the Mavericks for Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, Devean George, DeSagana Diop, Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and cash, sources tell Tony Mejia of CBSSports.com. Talk about it!

Feel bad for Stack. All he does is play his ass off and get traded before a team perhaps wins a ship...

a whole bunch of trash and devin harris for jason kidd. I wonder if popovich is gonna protest this one as well.

a whole bunch of trash and devin harris for jason kidd. I wonder if popovich is gonna protest this one as well.
I dunno if its cuz i'm biased and I'm attached to these players but I would disagree that it was a whole bunch of trash. Stack and Diop were key cogs in the Mavs rotation. Diop would have been huge against the centers in the West as he has been in the past most notably against Duncan. Stack obv provides key scoring off the bench. I love DH and I hate to lose him. Mavs just made their window smaller by trading away a young PG who matches up well with the smallish quick PGs in the West. He ate Tony Parkers lunch. With him out the past couple weeks the Mavs offense has been horrible without his penetration and unfortunately I feel we're knee jerking because of that. I would have wanted to let the Mavs play this out when DH came back and see how the team responded. I feel this was a panic move. The Mavs should know better than anyone that titles aren't won midseason.

that wasnt trash. what their so called bench is now is the definition of trash.

just feels like the only guy who will contribute anything to the Nets is Harris. They already have a bunch of big men similar to Diop, George is aight, and it sounds like they're gonna buy Stack's contract out (?)

but u guys are right, mavs did give up a lot from their team.

i guess i think both teams come out losers.

thats a bad trade for dallas imo. aging pg for a up and coming pg!! i wish rockets would have gotten harris somehow

damn - you throw in the draft picks and what is that? 7 guys for 2?

do they even have enough guys left to field a team??

from espn.com

Stackhouse said his agent told him the trade would be completed.

<!--one ap graf-->"Now I think it's pretty much a done deal," Stackhouse told The Associated Press.

The Nets are expected to buy out Stackhouse's contract immediately, which could enable him to re-sign with Dallas if he waits 30 days.

"I feel great. I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back," Stackhouse said. "I ain't going nowhere."

All those players, none of whom may be all that good, but plus two first round picks and $3 million in cash?

Damn, the Eagles would have taken that for Donovan McNabb in a second.

Watching Marc Stein on ESPN right now talking about all these trades, I can't help but think back to what Popovich had to say about the Lakers trade. It begs the question:

Is there actually any chance that there was some level of collusion involved in the Lakers getting Gasol for so little?

I think not, but I know that there's rules in place for such inconsistencies.

I actually like the trade for the Nets. Mavs give up a lot of players and their future PG for a 2 year stretch basically to win it all. No doubt Kidd is still a Top 3 PG in this league but hes basically done in about 3 years. Harris gave a lot to the Mavs as far as quickness, defense, penetration/kick out to Dirk.

To me it's the draft picks and the money that make this deal for the Nets.

They're all about building for their move to Brooklyn, so if they can have two first round draft picks in each of the next two years, they have a real chance of coming out with at least one, if not two impact players. They'll still have Vince Carter, albeit an aging Carter, and something to build on.

That said, I think that team just raised the white flag on this season in a big way.

I'm with ya on this deal for the Nets. I think people really really a)assume too much in trading away first round picks (assuming they'll just go deep into the playoffs) and b)unnecessarily underrate late first rd picks in general.

Just look at the draft board. If a player like Ryan Anderson can go in the twenties, then give me all the late first round picks you want.

That might be reason alone why the Lakers could justify their trade with the Grizz as well.

EDIT: Watching Gist in the MD-Duke game is just another example of a guy that probably won't go in the first 25 picks.

Last edited:
Dallas just gave away their best pick and roll defender (harris).

They won't be able to stop the Suns, the Warriors, or the Lakers at all, now. They'll have to outscore them, and BOY That worked out well in last year's playoffs...

I think people really really a)assume too much in trading away first round picks (assuming they'll just go deep into the playoffs)

Yep, just ask the San Francisco 49ers this year.

No doubt Kidd is still a Top 3 PG in this league but hes basically done in about 3 years.

Bleh, Kidd is overrated. He's a poor shooter and an average defender at best, definitely not even top 5 in my book.

(PG's I like better, Baron, Parker, Nash, Paul, D. Williams, Billups .. and I'd strongly consider Gilbert, Dre and Calderon!)

OMG Cuban must be ready to shoot George right now. Too fucking funny. Who woulda thought he would exercise that small provision in his one year deal?

I think it will still get worked out. Probably just a ploy to get a check and then he'll waive his provision. Kidd would probably be willing to personally write the check.

I think it will still get worked out. Probably just a ploy to get a check and then he'll waive his provision. Kidd would probably be willing to personally write the check.

Granted George has won a ring or multiple (?) with the lakers. Who can really blame him, if you had the option of choosing to stay in Dallas and atleast compete for a championship, or go to the Nets and be a fringe playoff team, who wouldn't stay with Dallas??

I wonder what the locker room must be like right now though, how alienated is he right now? I can't imagine anyone, other then those involved in the trade, even wanting to speak with him. Knowing that you are the cog that nixed the Kidd trade, he must be public enemy #1 in Dallas right now.

wow - reminds me of when Matt Geiger blocked the Sixers trade of Iverson to the Pistons the year before they went to the finals

i love how george goes 0-11 tonight as well

too funny

wow - reminds me of when Matt Geiger blocked the Sixers trade of Iverson to the Pistons the year before they went to the finals

i love how george goes 0-11 tonight as well

too funny
Wow, totally forgot about that....

That was Stack and a few others for AI...

How about we trade the entire Nuggets franchise to the Eastern Conference for the rest of the year so they can actually have a shot at going deep in the playoffs.

Be honest, would anybody really miss the Wizards for the rest of the year?

How about we trade the entire Nuggets franchise to the Eastern Conference for the rest of the year so they can actually have a shot at going deep in the playoffs.

LOL, the Wizards are to be referred to as the Bullets:whip:

Nugs gonna sign Alex English, Kiki, Fat Lever and Michael Adams off waivers next week for a playoff push'an_horse'

1. If they were still called the Bullets they might actually be an interesting franchise to me and, well, the rest of the world.

2. If Fat Lever, Alex English, and Calvin Natt come off the bench next week, then, maybe, maybe they can get out of the first round.

2a. Maybe.

Haha, 0-11, too fucking funny.

George's agent said that they used his right to block the trade because of the Bird Rights. It makes sense has he is more valuable with the sign-and-trade option.

"We're not trying to block anything," Bartlestein told ESPN.com. "The issue is that if he agrees to this deal, he has to give up his Bird rights. To lose that tool in today's world of free agency is a difficult thing to do.
"In this day and age, the sign-and-trade is a valuable tool that I don't want to lose for Devean. We're not trying to cause a problem. Teams have to do what's in their best interest. Sometimes players do, too. I hate to cause grief, but I have to do what's best for Devean. It's not a power play. My job is to protect him."

theres no way he can go back to dallas

the fans will destroy him, his teammates will hate him and you think if he pulls this shit Cubans gonna re-sign him and let him use those bird rights?

come on

Back