Angels vs Orioles Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Orioles a Devilish 'First Five' Match-up for Angels

Los Angeles hosts Baltimore for the second game of a three-game series tonight at 10:07 ET. The Orioles have significant match-up advantages with which to procure a rare win.

Baltimore Orioles at Los Angeles Angels

MLB Pick: Baltimore 1H ML

Dylan Bundy (1-3, 2.97 ERA) was human last week after achieving six consecutive starts with a sub-3.00 ERA. He was struggling to locate his fastball and changeup and his opponent slugged both pitches hard. In his last outing, he located both pitches in four spots over 9% of the time mostly in the middle parts of the strike zone. Prior to that outing, he had located them in only one spot 9% of the time and that spot was in the outside corner of the zone.

Expect Bundy to return to form tonight. Dating to last season, he followed three of his last four starts in which he yielded an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) over 5.00 with an FIP of under 2.50 in the following outing. In the one exception he achieved a 3.36 FIP. He will reestablish solid location of his fastball and changeup. Bundy's slider, which is his favorite whiff pitch and best one based on opposing batting average, will continue to be strong against an Angels team that ranks fifth-to-last in BA against this pitch.

Bundy loves west coast night games, where Baltimore has won the first five innings in each of his three starts there including once last year against the Angels, against whom he achieved ten strikeouts. Bundy's career ERA is over .80 lower in night games than in day games.

Andrew Heaney (0-1, 6.91 ERA) looked tremendously better in his last start than Bundy. Heaney returned to the majors from Tommy John surgery only in mid-August of last season. In the eight starts he has made since then, he has achieved an FIP of under 3.50 in two of them. After each of those positive starts, he was shelled in the next one. Heaney is searching for the same consistency as Bundy. By comparing a three-game stretch in 2015 from a healthy Heaney with Heaney's three starts this season, a threefold variance in the respective vertical release point of his three pitches is evident this season. Heaney has yet to establish the repeatable delivery and comfort with mechanics that is key for consistency.

Since 2015, the southpaw has worked on lowering the vertical release points of his pitches. This makes it more difficult for left-handed batters to track and hit his pitches. This season, he is pitching very well against left-handed hitters, yielding an 0.62 FIP against them, compared to 4.28 against right-handed batters. These splits make him a poor match-up for the O's lineup, whose lack of run support explains Bundy's poor win-loss record, but is primed to score tonight. Heaney is letting right-handed hitters slug .542 against him so far. The O's lineup is right-handed heavy. Their OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) is .742 against southpaws compared to .649 against right-handed pitchers.

The top Baltimore hitters are right-handed. Foremost among them is Manny Machado who has two homers in six career at-bats against Heaney. He is batting .333 against lefties and .361 overall in a tremendous bounce-back season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heaney will be especially uncomfortable since he relies mostly on the sinker. Heaney throws this pitch more than any other and he particularly relies on it to work his way back into the count and to finish off a batter with two strikes. Besides the vertical release point, one aspect of his sinker that Heaney is struggling with is its location. In his strong stretch in 2015, he didn't throw his sinker in any spot in the middle strike zone quadrant more than 7% of the time. This year there are two such spots. Since last season, Baltimore ranks seventh in BA against this pitch and is primed to slug Heaney's currently unreliable but favorite pitch.

I was kidding Michael. I don't post all my futures. Sometimes I do. I have 3 different WS futures and 2 RSW bets.

Gotcha. Well i hope the Angels lose the first five innings 8-0 tonight but win the game 28-8 for ya :)

Somehow I thought you were doing that thing when you bet on a team to win it loses you double your bet on same team etc

Bundy had a 1.42 ERA after five starts, but the offense failed to support him with more than three runs in any of those outings.
The Orioles scored five runs in his most recent start, but Bundy was tagged for eight runs seven earned and 11 hits in 4 2/3 innings of a 9-5 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday.
Bundy has made two appearances against the Angels in his career.
In his lone start against Los Angeles, he struck out 10 batters on Aug. 7 of last season. That was his career high until he struck out 12 three weeks later against the Seattle Mariners. Bundy went seven innings in the start against the Angels, allowing two runs and five hits in the 6-2 victory, which helped him go 4-0 during the month
Heaney is coming off his most promising start of the season, allowing two runs (one earned) and five hits over five innings against the visiting New York Yankees on Friday. Heaney had struck out nine when he exited with the scored tied 1-1, and the Angels eventually lost 4-3 in 10 innings.
Heaney does not have a decision in two career starts against Baltimore.

I think the quotation marks indicate that what you‘re saying often gets said but does that say anything about your sincerity? By quoting are you distancing yourself from the statement itself thereby indicating lack of sincerity or maybe indeed sincerity but just not passion for it?

Back