Angels/Rangers & White Sox/Royals Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bet This MLB Parlay at (+320) on Wednesday

Texas Rangers vs. Los Angeles Angels
Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 8:05 p.m. ET at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas

Who Will Start for Los Angeles?

Tonight, the Angels will start phenom Shohei Ohtani.

Ohtani enjoys strong pitching form. In his last four games, he has allowed a combined total of three earned runs despite the fact that two of those four opponents -- Cleveland and Houston -- rank top-10 in runs per game.

Those two opponents are stronger in terms of run-producing quality than Ohtani's opponent today, Texas, which ranks 14thin runs per game.

In terms of several statistics, Ohtani is enjoying his best season ever.

His FIP (like ERA, but factors out fielding), for example, has never been better -- it is a superb 2.09.

Overlooking the 2020 season in which he started all of two games, Ohtani is striking out more batters per nine innings than he ever has before.

His walk rate has also never been better and he is doing his best job of limiting opposing home runs.

What Pitches Does Ohtani Throw?

It would be rather ridiculous for Ohtani to walk batters because the quality of his individual pitches is so strong that he doesn't need to be shy about leaving them over the plate.

For example, his favorite pitch in terms of frequency is the fastball.

He throws this pitch 43.1 percent of the time.

His fastball enjoys excellent velocity plus an above-average spin rate plus unique levels of horizontal and vertical movement.

Given these features, opponents are hitting .192 and slugging .250 against Ohtani's fastball.

Ohtani vs. Ranger Batters

I like Ohtani today because Texas ranks 29th in slugging below .300 against Ohtani's favorite pitches, the fastball and slider, which make up about three-quarters of his arsenal, from righties.

It is true that the Rangers have been hitting well, lately.

But they haven't been facing a high enough level of competition to justify trusting them against Ohtani.

For example, their numbers against Ohtani's pitches have been improving lately, but on May 16 when they faced a good pitcher like Jaime Barria, Barria shut them out over the course of 4.1 innings.

One might try to claim that Ohtani's career numbers in Texas make him unreliable today.

However, he pitched only three times in his career in Texas and his last start in 2021 at the Rangers' ballpark was a very good one that proved his ability to be comfortable in Arlington.

Who Is Pitching for Texas?

The Rangers start Dane Dunning today.

Primarily, Dunning throws a fastball, slider, and changeup.

These three pitches make up almost 93 percent of his arsenal.

I like Angel batters today because they rank fourth in slugging against Dunning's pitches.

Look out for Anthony Rendon, for example, who has finally been picking things up. He is 3-for-7 with a double in his career against Ohtani.
\
Chicago White Sox vs. Kansas City Royals
Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 9:10 p.m. ET at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri

Who Is Pitching for Chicago?

The White Sox start Lucas Giolito today.

Giolito looks to keep thriving against teams in his division. He seems to have his most familiar opponents well figured out.

So far, he has allowed a combined total of two earned runs against Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit.

Giolito vs. Royal Batters

Giolito is in a great spot today because he is pitching in Kansas City's venue.

In 10 career starts at Kauffman Stadium, Giolito boasts a 2.74 ERA.

Expect little, for example, from Whit Merrifield.

Merrifield is someone who you normally think of relying on in the Royal lineup.

While his continually awful BA masks his recently improved form, his career slugging rate against Giolito is a paltry .359 in 39 at-bats.

Who Is Pitching for Kansas City?

The Royals start Zack Greinke, who is coming off a tough-luck outing in which his 9.64 ERA masks a superb 1.37 FIP.

I like Greinke today because the White Sox rank 25thin slugging against his favorite pitches from righties.

Best Bet: Parlay Angels RL (-1.5) at +105 & White Sox/Royals Under 7.5 at +105 at +320 with BetOnline

Like both. Went FF RL on Halos so I don't have to trust that pen. Passed on CWS/KC under simply because I can't comprehend the steam on the over so i feel as if i'm missing something. BOL.

Back