And now Tejada is charged with lying to Congress

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
Lying about what? Oh, you know, steroids of course.

Personally I think Congress has other liars to chase down, you know, like Karl Rove, Harriet Meyers, et. al., who've been dodging subpoenas for some time now, but with every other name that comes out, for whatever reason, the steroid story continues.

44985804.jpg

You know the only reason this is a story to me--not the lying to Congress part, that's bad and you shouldn't do that, but the steroid part.

It's that there are 103 people left on that list.

If they wanted to (whoever 'they' may be), they could release one name a week for the next two years. Sure, some of those names would be nothing, but some wouldn't and the story would never die.

If you're baseball, seriously, how much longer do you want this to go on?

Personally, I stopped believing in baseball years ago, but there are people who still do and there are kids who are just beginning to be fans. How much more of this do you want to take?

You know the only reason this is a story to me--not the lying to Congress part, that's bad and you shouldn't do that, but the steroid part.

It's that there are 103 people left on that list.

If they wanted to (whoever 'they' may be), they could release one name a week for the next two years. Sure, some of those names would be nothing, but some wouldn't and the story would never die.

If you're baseball, seriously, how much longer do you want this to go on?

Personally, I stopped believing in baseball years ago, but there are people who still do and there are kids who are just beginning to be fans. How much more of this do you want to take?

good points joe.

i think what bothers me most is that no one points out the fact that these guys are stealing.

They are stealing from the owners who have to pay based on previous years stats that are now unobtainable because no more roids ....

They have stolen from countless honest athletes who lost their positions , jobs , money , careers to guys who cheated and stole their opportunity.

It goes beyond just basic cheating in my opinion and enters into the realm of stealing.

F all these guys.

They are stealing from the owners who have to pay based on previous years stats that are now unobtainable because no more roids ....
owners are responsible... they were selling tickets and turned a blind eye in the early zeroes

owners are responsible... they were selling tickets and turned a blind eye in the early zeroes

MLB as a whole is responsible. Everyone involved, Selig, owners, managers, trainers, medical staff, players, agents....Coming out of the lock out baseball needed to rebound. I don't know what works better than juiced up men jacking 60+ homeruns a year.

I know its a blanket statement but I think everyone knew what was going on and they just did not want to stop something that was good.

MLB as a whole is responsible. Everyone involved, Selig, owners, managers, trainers, medical staff, players, agents....Coming out of the lock out baseball needed to rebound. I don't know what works better than juiced up men jacking 60+ homeruns a year.

I know its a blanket statement but I think everyone knew what was going on and they just did not want to stop something that was good.
istockphoto_2634771_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg

I've said it before I dont hold the players responsdible at all for doing something that was within the rules (I do hold them responsible for lying to congressm, under oath etc)

but knowing what we know about steroids and the damage it does all around the blood is on Bud Selig and companies hands IMO...

baseballreport-713441.jpg

Sports Radio was talking about the unreal american prison baseball team that could beat 25% of MLB teams....Barstool took it their own direction....

February 11, 2009
The MLB All Tainted Team

by Jerry Thornton (<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write('\x3c\x61\x20\x68\x72\x65\x66\x3d\x22\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x74\x6f\x3a\x6a\x65\x72\x72\x79\x40\x62\x61\x72\x73\x74\x6f\x6f\x6c\x73\x70\x6f\x72\x74\x73\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d\x22\x3e\x6a\x65\x72\x72\x79\x40\x62\x61\x72\x73\x74\x6f\x6f\x6c\x73\x70\x6f\x72\x74\x73\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d\x3c\x2f\x61\x3e');</SCRIPT>jerry@barstoolsports.com jerry@barstoolsports.com)
<!-- Generated by XStandard version 1.6.2.0 on 2009-02-10T14:06:17 -->If there's one thing the ARod story and the all the retrospectives about the supposed Performance Enhanced Era of baseball has proven, it's that steroids work. Without a doubt. Anyone who says "How can taking drugs help you hit a baseball?" isn't paying attention. Looking at the best chemically aided players at each position is like an advertisement for America's anabolic industry. Give me this collection of guys at the height of their sterioid-fueled powers, and I'll match them up against any lineup you can put together out of any great players of all time.
The MLB All Tainted Team:
1. Chuck Knoblauch, 2B
x-20090210100939843.jpg

Probable juicing years: 1994-2002
How he got ratted out: Brian McNamee
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: In '93, his Slugging Pct. was .346. By '96 it was .512.
Has he 'fessed up?: Not quite. I have nothing to defend and I have nothing to hide at the same time. Glad he cleared that up.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: When "Knobby's" 'roid-addled brain rendered him incapable of making the simple throw to first, and he had to retire prematurely at the age of 34.
Current status: Forgotten
2. Jose Canseco, RF
x-20090210100801015.jpg

Probable juicing years: Rookie season to retirement.
How he got ratted out: Wrote "Juiced," his memoirs of a career spent with a needle in his ass in which he also dimed out all of Major League Baseball. He was universally ridiculed for the book, but who's laughing now?
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: His 1998 MVP season when he had 42 HR and 40 SB.
Has he 'fessed up?: Obviously.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: A post- "Juiced" Jose is flat broke, failed miserable as a reality TV personality, and at this point is two months away from a career as a carnival dunk tank performer.
Current status: World Class Buffoon
3. Alex Rodriguez, SS
x-20090210100620234.jpg

Probable juicing years: He's claiming it was his Texas years, but if so, his Seattle numbers have a lot of 'splainin' to do.
How he got ratted out: Anonymous sources with access to MLB's "confidential" drug test results.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: At the age of 21, he hit .358 and slugged .631. He'll finish this season 7th on the HR list, at the age of 34.
Has he 'fessed up?: Yes.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: Yet to be determined. But the leader in the clubhouse is his interview with Katie Couric when he looked her in the eye and flat out lied about ever using. I've always been a very strong, dominant position... since I was, you know, a rookie back in Seattle, I didn't have a problem competing at any level." I mean, who lies to Katie?
Current status: Lightning Rod For Criticism
4. Barry Bonds, LF
x-20090210100443234.jpg

Probable juicing years: Starting in '93, his first season playing in San FranBALCO, to the end of his career.
How he got ratted out: Massive Big Dig-sized leaks in secret federal grand jury investigations.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: All time record for career HR, single-season HR, and increase in hat size.
Has he 'fessed up?: Most definitely not.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: The hundreds of hours of TV footage of Bonds doing the perp walk into federal courthouses.
Current status: Unanimously Despised by All
5. Sammy Sosa, CF
x-20090210100326546.jpg

Probable juicing years:1995-2003.
How he got ratted out: Narc'd by Jeff Novitzky, an FDA agent who was gumshoeing BALCO and Mets clubhouse supplier Kirk Radomski.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: Had 3 seasons of 60+ HR in 4 years.
Has he 'fessed up?: Negativa.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: Pretending that he couldn't hablar Inglés before a congressional committee after years of speaking it before the entire world.
Current status: Fraud
6. Mark McGwire, 1B
x-20090210100114828.jpg

Probable juicing years: From his 49 HR rookie season on.
How he got ratted out: Canseco snitched on him in "Juiced."
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: 70 HR in 1997.
Has he 'fessed up?: He's not here to talk about the past. He's here to be positive about this subject.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: His testimony before Congress was the most painfully awkward performance since Albert Brooks flop-sweatted through the newscast in "Broadcast News."
Current status: Laughingstock.
7. Rafael Palmeiro, DH
x-20090210095928875.jpg

Probable juicing years: 1993 on.
How he got ratted out: The Mitchell Report.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: He's currently 10th on the All Time HR list. He's Rafael Freakin' Plameiro and he's 10th on the HR list.
Has he 'fessed up?: His "I have never used steroids, period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never" was accompanied by Clinton/Lewinsky - like finger pointing. So, no.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: The last day of his 10 game suspension meant the cancellation of "Rafael Palmeiro Appreciation Day."
Current status: Disgraced.
8. Ken Caminiti, 3B
x-20090210140525750.jpg

Probable juicing years: 1996 on.
How he got ratted out: He came clean on the cover of SI in 2002.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: His MVP season in '96: .326, 40, 130.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: None. None at all.
Current status: Dead.
9. Ivan Rodriguez, C
x-20090210095759984.jpg

Probable juicing years: 1993 on.
How he got ratted out: In "Juiced" Canseco claims to have introduced Rodriguez to Deca-Durabolin and Winstrol. But he's always managed to stay one step ahead of the pee cup posse.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: His MVP season: .332 35 113 with a preposterous 25 SB.
Has he 'fessed up?: Nope.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: The year testing was implemented, he showed up to Spring Training down about 30 lbs from the year before, and his nickname was changed from "Pudge" to "Slim."
Current status: Suspect
RHP: Roger Clemens
x-20090210095552328.jpg

Probable juicing years: 1997 on. In other words, the Toronto/Houston/New York years.
How he got ratted out: Brian McNamee.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: Wow. Where do you begin? 20-3 at the age of 38? 1.87 ERA at 42? Let's go with the 10 MPH he added to his fastball once he left Boston. When he went from 10-13 with the Sox to 21-7 with the Jays.
Has he 'fessed up?: Not even a little.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: There have been several, but answer is probably the verbal corner that he has painted himself into. His personal trainer/lackey injected Clemens' wife and his BFF teammate (Andy Pettitte) with HGH. And Clemens with Deca-Durabolin, Winstrol, Sustanon, and possibly Anadrol. Only Roger claims he didn't know what it was.
Current status: Object of Worldwide Scorn
LHP: Andy Pettitte
x-20090210095416046.jpg

Probable juicing years: 2002.
How he got ratted out: McNamee and Mitchell.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: 21-8 at the age of 32. (Granted that's not exactly eye-popping.)
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: When he testified against his bromance, Clemens, rather than invoke the spousal privilege.
Current status: Strangely Forgiven
Closer: Eric Gagne'
x-20090210095135453.jpg

Probable juicing years: 2002 on.
How he got ratted out: Mitchell Report via Radomski.
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: In '01 his ERA was 4.75. The it went 1.97, 1.20, 2.19. And he averaged 51 Saves a year.
Has he 'fessed up?: No.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: The Red Sox knew he was a user but traded for him anyway, and a juice-free Gagne' almost single-handedly cost them the 2007 World Series.
Current status: A Run-of-the-Mill Reliever

Toughest Omissions:
  • Jason Giambi
  • Miguel Tejada
  • Brady Anderson
  • Jeff Bagwell
  • Brett Boone
Don't Talk to Me about:
  • Nomar Garciaparra. All the rumors about him are based on one thing: a picture of him looking ripped on the cover of SI. How could a guy who started out his career with 30 HR and 35 HR who never reached 30 again be using?

Probable juicing years: Rookie season to retirement.
How he got ratted out: Wrote "Juiced," his memoirs of a career spent with a needle in his ass in which he also dimed out all of Major League Baseball. He was universally ridiculed for the book, but who's laughing now?
Most ridiculous, steroidy number: His 1998 MVP season when he had 42 HR and 40 SB.
Has he 'fessed up?: Obviously.
Funniest moment of Schadenfreude: A post- "Juiced" Jose is flat broke, failed miserable as a reality TV personality, and at this point is two months away from a career as a carnival dunk tank performer.
Current status: World Class Buffoon

:36_11_6:

I said it in the A-Rod thread...It's all a guessing game now but I won't be surprised at any name released off this list, or any other investigation, test result, or whatever. The entire MLB is tainted from the early 90's on.

fucking A, everyone knows everyone was on em. SHIT my entire high school football team was on em at the same time. Congress has so much more to do than this its fucking sickening. STFU about it.

EDIT: i don't mean you guys, but the people who are blowing our cash "investigating" this shit

To me this whole thing is just more evidence of the rampant stupidity that has run MLB for the last 20ish years.

I agree with Santa and Matt, everybody knew--at least, everybody knew enough not to ask questions they didn't want the answers to.

Yes, I'm sure there are vast swaths of the game who have plausible deniability here, but the truth is they didn't want to know so they never asked. And when the topic came up they shoved their fingers in their ears, turned the TV up louder, looked the other way, or all of the above.

Problem now is, there are huge portions of the game that are clean. There's also a steroid policy now. Baseball has every single reason to purge this whole horrible era from its books, but they simply won't do it.

I get it, the union and the game said these tests would be anonymous. But everybody now knows these results still exist. This list wasn't destroyed, it's out there and until the whole truth comes out there will forever be speculation not about the 10%of the game that was dirty, but about the entire 100% of the game itself.

But MLB is run almost as poorly as the NHL so I'm not sure what what would make me or anybody else think that they'd have any real ability or effective way to handle this situation. They made this bed, they can lie in it. (I'm not sure if that's a good pun or a bad one, but I'm gonna stick with it.)

steroids is considered cheating but the donaghy scandal IS cheating. anyone hear anything about this guy lately? fuck espn. fuck congress.

i love how ESPN is now comparing "transgressions"

phelps vs a-roid?

um, thats comparing apples and oranges....... idiots.

how does taking a bong hit at a party compare to cheating your way through baseball?

The best part of all this is how everybody called canseco a rat and a liar,and in the end he was the only one that told the truth.

i love how ESPN is now comparing "transgressions"

phelps vs a-roid?

um, thats comparing apples and oranges....... idiots.

how does taking a bong hit at a party compare to cheating your way through baseball?

This story breaking was the best thing that could happen for Phelps. On a side note, anyone see what the sherrifs office in SC arrested something like 8 people on marijuana charges becuase they were at the party with phelps? One was the kid who owns the bong, he tried to sell it on ebay for $100k. Talk about money well spent...

WASHINGTON - All-star shortstop Miguel Tejada pleaded guilty Wednesday to lying to the U.S. Congress about the use of performance-enhancing drugs and admitted buying what he believed was human growth hormone.
Appearing before a federal magistrate, the 34-year-old Houston Astros infielder admitted he lied to congressional investigators who had asked about steroid use by major league ballplayers. Tejada also acknowledged purchasing the drugs while playing with the Oakland Athletics.
He said he threw the drug away without using it. Prosecutors said they had no evidence to contradict his claim.
Asked if he was pleading guilty, Tejeda told the judge, "Yes." One of his lawyers patted him on the shoulder during the exchange.
Tejada, who was born in the Dominican Republic, listened through headphones to a simultaneous Spanish translation as federal Magistrate Judge Alan Kay warned him of the rights he was waiving with a guilty plea.
"Your plea of guilty may have some impact on your immigration status here in the United States," Kay said.
Tejada responded that he understood and had discussed his fate with his lawyer.
The misdemeanour charge of making misrepresentations to Congress can lead to as much as a year in jail. But federal guidelines call for a lighter sentence.
Tejada was the American League's Most Valuable Player in 2002 while playing for the Athletics.
Federal authorities also are investigating whether Roger Clemens lied to Congress when he denied using steroids or human growth hormone.
Charges against Tejada were detailed in documents filed in court Tuesday, a day after superstar Alex Rodriguez acknowledged past use of performance-enhancing drugs. The New York Yankees third baseman does not face charges.
Clemens and Rodriguez are atop a list of drug-tainted stars that includes Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco, whose actions cast doubt on their on-field accomplishments.
In the court papers, Tejada is charged with lying to investigators for the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in 2005. Congressional staffers did not place Tejada under oath when they questioned him, but court documents say the investigators advised him "of the importance of providing truthful answers."
During the interview, Tejada denied knowledge of an ex-teammate's use of performance-enhancing drugs, though officials say Tejada bought what he believed to be human growth hormone from the player.
Tejada came under scrutiny after another ex-teammate, the Baltimore Orioles' Rafael Palmeiro, testified before the House committee and declared that he'd never used steroids.
Palmeiro was suspended by baseball later that year after testing positive for steroids. He said the positive result must have been caused by a B-12 vitamin injection given to him by Tejada.

"Your plea of guilty may have some impact on your immigration status here in the United States," Kay said.

Could you imagine, ARod goes back to making millions and Tejada gets run out of the country?

Back