• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Analyzing that running clock after a first down

V.K.

Pretty much a regular
Back in early July with time on my hands took a look at this new rule and the impact it would have. Used plays/gm and pts/play from Team Rankings, built a little spreadsheet, watched some dvr of last year's games and these are my conculsions.

--There should be no increase in the speed of plays after a first down. The play clock determines the minimum speed (40 secs) and it will start right after each play just like it has. Each offense has it's rhythm so to speak and will continue to run at their pace. Defenses need to adjust to their opponent, like always, and this running clock will not be hurrying them.

‐-The impact will be minimal and here is an example from my sheet;
Michigan at Ohio State 2022 box score;
Mich. 16 first downs, Buckeyes 23 first downs. 39 total in 60 min of play. Remember the last two minutes of play in each half the clock will still stop. So, 39/60 = .65 first downs per minute. Assuming they are evenly distributed you need to subtract 4 minutes of game time to get those 1st downs where the clock is now running. .65*4=2.6 first downs. So played today this game would have 39- 2.6 = 36.4 first downs with a running clock. With me so far? Watching my dvr see there is on avg a 5 sec stopped of game clock per 1st down.
Soooooo, 36.4 * 5= 182 secs of time lost, or 3 minutes, 2 seconds. Split to each half would be 91 seconds a half.
Then using pts/play and plays/gm on this game it comes out to 1.62 points lost in this game.
Looking at the box score play by play neither team scored last 3 min of each half so the running clock wouldn't have impacted the score, in this case.
Other factors are often overlooked. Incomplete passes stop the game clock. Each one is like a free 25 seconds of game time compared to a running play. TV timeouts another and of course penalties and instant replay. Often times offenses snap the ball quicker after these events as they have the next play ready. So the game clock can swing both ways depending on the game.

So my conculsion is forget about it! Maybe 1-3 points a game. Yet when that backdoor cover you need for that huge parlay runs out of time at the two yard line you'll be cussing at this new rule.

I personally like this rule change. However, to think that this wouldn’t eliminate a nice amount of plays would be a misconception. Granted, the clock will still stop the last 2 minutes each half. However, losing this throughout the course of the game will likely cut game plays anywhere from 10-16 plays per game. How many times do we see teams trying to mount comebacks throughout the whole 4th quarter. Teams will lose those extra plays!

Breaking it down a little further.
Looking again at that Michigan at Ohio St game last year.
Score;
Mich. 45
Ohio st 23

First downs;
Mich 16
Ohio st 23

Offensive plays;
Mich 60
Ohio st 77

Points/ play;
Mich. .75
Ohio st .299

Mich. 3600 seconds in a game (60 minutes) / 16 first downs = 1 first down for every 225 seconds of play. Since 4 minutes (240 secs) the rule does not apply subtract 1 first down.
Ohio St 3600 secs/23 first downs = 1 first down every 157 seconds ( rounded up). 240 / 157 = 1.528 first downs lost so subtract 2.

So now we have a total of 36 first downs that the game clock would now be running. 36*5=180 seconds or 3 minutes now lost.

Michigan had 60 plays or 1 a minute so three plays lost.
Ohio st had 77 plays or 1 every 47 secs so 180/47 = 3.83 rounded up to 4 plays lost.
Seven plays theoretically lost in this game.

Still think it is much more to do about very little. Considering an incomplete pass has five times more effect on the game clock than this new rule has. Navy plans on incorporating more passing. For every increased incomplete pass add about 25 seconds to the game clock that otherwise would have ran if the play was a run or completed pass.

Guess the real question is will the betting public initially shy away from overs because of the new rule?

I'm more interested in how it affects the games where team A gets up by 4 TDs in the 1st half and how they ultimately can have the ball for an entire quarter by running it 10 times on a drive.

The UM/OSU type games won't do well for that case study. Also I thought Navy said they weren't planning on changing much and you know they can single handedly destroy an over

I'm more interested in how it affects the games where team A gets up by 4 TDs in the 1st half and how they ultimately can have the ball for an entire quarter by running it 10 times on a drive.

The UM/OSU type games won't do well for that case study. Also I thought Navy said they weren't planning on changing much and you know they can single handedly destroy an over
Well, give me one that will do well for the study. I'll run it.

For Navy I was referring to this;
https://www.si.com/college/notredam...fense-will-have-some-new-wrinkles-this-season
Really don't expect much change myself.

Just giving an example. Incomplete passes stop the game clock, teams use about 25 secs of play clock on avg so 25 secs gained vs a run play, completion. A lot of volatility in length of game with incompletions, just saying.

Wouldn’t books adjust the lines as the season goes?

Are we putting too much into these new rules?
Like Baseball too?

Like VK said…….if we on the losing end, we’ll blame the new rule……

Back in early July with time on my hands took a look at this new rule and the impact it would have. Used plays/gm and pts/play from Team Rankings, built a little spreadsheet, watched some dvr of last year's games and these are my conculsions.

--There should be no increase in the speed of plays after a first down. The play clock determines the minimum speed (40 secs) and it will start right after each play just like it has. Each offense has it's rhythm so to speak and will continue to run at their pace. Defenses need to adjust to their opponent, like always, and this running clock will not be hurrying them.

‐-The impact will be minimal and here is an example from my sheet;
Michigan at Ohio State 2022 box score;
Mich. 16 first downs, Buckeyes 23 first downs. 39 total in 60 min of play. Remember the last two minutes of play in each half the clock will still stop. So, 39/60 = .65 first downs per minute. Assuming they are evenly distributed you need to subtract 4 minutes of game time to get those 1st downs where the clock is now running. .65*4=2.6 first downs. So played today this game would have 39- 2.6 = 36.4 first downs with a running clock. With me so far? Watching my dvr see there is on avg a 5 sec stopped of game clock per 1st down.
Soooooo, 36.4 * 5= 182 secs of time lost, or 3 minutes, 2 seconds. Split to each half would be 91 seconds a half.
Then using pts/play and plays/gm on this game it comes out to 1.62 points lost in this game.
Looking at the box score play by play neither team scored last 3 min of each half so the running clock wouldn't have impacted the score, in this case.
Other factors are often overlooked. Incomplete passes stop the game clock. Each one is like a free 25 seconds of game time compared to a running play. TV timeouts another and of course penalties and instant replay. Often times offenses snap the ball quicker after these events as they have the next play ready. So the game clock can swing both ways depending on the game.

So my conculsion is forget about it! Maybe 1-3 points a game. Yet when that backdoor cover you need for that huge parlay runs out of time at the two yard line you'll be cussing at this new rule.
But they're not evenly distributed. There are a lot more first downs in the final two minutes of the first half, more than twice as many as the average per minute. It's more complicated in the second half since the last two minutes could be kneeldowns or an 80-yard garbage drive with 5 first downs.

Well, give me one that will do well for the study. I'll run it.

For Navy I was referring to this;
https://www.si.com/college/notredam...fense-will-have-some-new-wrinkles-this-season
Really don't expect much change myself.

Just giving an example. Incomplete passes stop the game clock, teams use about 25 secs of play clock on avg so 25 secs gained vs a run play, completion. A lot of volatility in length of game with incompletions, just saying.
The new rule is going to drop scoring by 1/24, on average.

Also I found the stoppage of time so inconsistent. Sometimes it was literally like 3-4 seconds and other times the chain gang would take 10+ seconds plus.
What I saw was 1 second to 7 seconds in my review, but that was ACC action. ACC officials are terrible, until you compare them to B1G, PAC, or B12 officials.

via @JonFendler

Week 0 plays/minute:

Ohio 2.57
Jax State: 2.51
Fordham: 2.42
USC: 2.35
N. Alabama: 2.19
Albany: 2.18
LA Tech: 2.17
Mercer: 2.15
San Jose St: 2.15
Notre Dame: 2.14
SC State: 2.12
SDSU 2.12
FIU: 2.09
UTEP: 2.08
NMSU: 2.02
UMass: 2.00
Vandy: 1.97
Jackson St: 1.90
Hawaii: 1.89
Navy: 1.65

Slow.

The lone minor caveat here is that none of last season’s top 30 tempo teams played in Week 0. Hawaii ranked 31st at 2.43 plays/min last year, so 1.89 is a hell of a drop into Air Force/Minnesota territory.

Crazy that the top 3 only scored 13/17/13 as well

Surprised USC weren't top 30 last year

Hawaii averaging 1.89 plays per minute or 29.4 secs per play allowed the defense to face the opponent only 43.70% of the game rather than last yrs avg of 52.08%.

And last year the Rainbows averaged 18.5 incompletions per game and vs Vandy they only had 8. That's 10.5 less clock stoppages for incompletions, more time the offense chews up and the less time your defense needs to be on the field.

Back