Amstutz Stepping Down...With a Month to Go in Season

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
WTF?

Amstutz Is Done Coaching

from The Futon Report by Matt Sussman
amstutz.jpg
Really? I mean … he had another year left on his contract, and maybe at the end of the year a move is made but … really? Stepping down now? Now?
Toledo’s iconic portly coach Tom Amstutz is calling it quits as University of Toledo football head coach. It’s being said he will take a job within the University, which either means he’s burned out and doesn’t want to scan CareerBuilder for a new job, or the University was going to kick his ass to the curb but actually likes the guy and knows he means well.
Either way, why now? Why less than a month after a marquee win for the program? Why the evening of November 2, when they have a nationally-televised game Wednesday night? Something doesn’t smell right about this, but a press conference on Monday will explain everything. Or most everything. I don’t think we’ll get an explanation for the summer sausage.

Gotta be point shaving issues. Dude hasn't been upset being a fat ass yet. Why start now?

Hmmmmm, 5-7 each of the past 2 seasons and then a 2-6 start to this season with the latest loss coming at home by 1 pt to Central Michigan which must have devastated him and the team.

That's 12-20 in Toledo's past 32 games for those keeping a count.

The kids are not responding to him just like the kids at Clemson stopped responding to Tommy Bowden. Amstutz did not want to get thrown out of there so he put a cap in himself, so to speak. If it was gambling related, it would have come down a long time ago because that dark cloud has been following him and the football team around for a long time now.

My suspicions are that he gave it one more week of practice after the heartbreaking loss to Central Michigan and he saw that he has basically lost the team, so he decided to walk away right now in the hopes that the team will rally on Wednesday night and "win for Coach".

Either that or it's health-related, ie, his body cannot take the toll of losing.

I highly, highly doubt this has anything to do with the gambling controversy. Scandals like that cause immediate firings or resignings, not delayed reactions like this.

Unfortunately no more Mangino vs. Amstutz facing each other. Two played a hell of a game in Toledo a couple years back.

Love the guy, .......but honestly, I didn't think he was a good coach. Undisciplined team that could never play defense and never was gonna play defense under him. Ironic because I think he was a defensive coordinator.

------Toledo needs to get another guy like Gary Pinkel in there. Amstutz did amazingly well for being as poor a coach as I think he is,,, got to think with someone that knows what they are doing Toledo will be damn good.

They beat Michigan.

Michigan in name only -- they are horrible this season. Beating a down Michigan team is not enough to overcome back to back 5-7 seasons and a 2-6 start to this one. Toledo got used to winning under Pinkel and Amstutz kept it going his first 5 seasons, winning 10, 9, 8, 9, and 9, respectively.

The last two-plus seasons have been horrendous and he has completely lost the team. He knows it, so he's stepping down before they ask him to and it gets ugly like the Clemson situation. Any coincidence that he is stepping down just 2 weeks after Tommy Bowden got forced out? Me thinks not.

I remember the story about a fan throwing a piece of pizza from the crowd, and it hitting the ground and Anstutz picking it up and eating it. This guy is a true degenerate; he point shaves, he eats pizza thrown out of the stands after it has been on the ground, and he goes for 4th and 28 yards from his 28 yard line. Should Toledo want to hire a similar coach I vote for Fondybadger as the new Rockets head coach.

Call me crazy, but I've always liked Amstutz. I don't think the point shaving was really HIM. I think he was quite oblivious to his players doing their best to shave points at times. Unless someone has legitimate proof that he had a hand in shaving points, it's all merely rumors.

aztec, the guy went for it on fourth down in the most ridiculous situations...also from what I understand Toledo has a pretty big illegal gambling ring, and Youngstown does as well...

sirwinzalot, now that is pretty damn funny!...

aztec, the guy went for it on fourth down in the most ridiculous situations...also from what I understand Toledo has a pretty big illegal gambling ring, and Youngstown does as well...

sirwinzalot, now that is pretty damn funny!...

Hmm...that's a shame. Toledo had so much success with him as HC, at least for a little while.

What would lead you guys to think a 500 pound man would have medical issues?

At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, I have always wondered if Amstutz and Mangini have the full respect of their players. How do you send those guys out to conditioning runs knowing that they know you have absolutely no sefl control?

I dont know. I could be totally wrong on this, it just honestly crosses my mind every time I see them.

Back