Alsco Uniforms 500 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Alsco Uniforms 500 Top Betting Pick

NASCAR Cup Series: Alsco Uniforms 500
Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina

Race Info

After Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600, Wednesday’s race will be the second consecutive NASCAR Cup Series event at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

While the track remains the same, two key things about the race will be different: the starting position and the length.

Positions one through 20 will start in inverted order relative to Sunday’s results.

So, Brad Keselowski, who won Sunday’s race, will start 20th.

My favorite guy to bet on, Alex Bowman, will start second.

As for the length, this race is 500 km long, or 310 miles. It will be completed in 208 laps.

It’s crucial to keep in mind that Wednesday’s event requires almost half the number of laps as Sunday’s. It’s a different kind of race.

While run at the same track, the Coca-Cola 600’s final results are therefore potentially misleading and not immediately instructive for bettors.

A Different Kind Of Race

Sunday’s results show what kind of race suits Bowman.

Recall that the Coca-Cola 600 consisted in four stages, each totaling 100 laps.

Bowman won the first two stages. While he ended up finishing 19th, this significant drop-off only grants him a strong starting position for the Alsco Uniforms 500.

Bowman’s Style and History

One might ask: maybe Bowman did so well early — leading 140 of the first 200 laps — because his ultimately more successful competitors paced themselves.

But the reality is that Bowman is fast wherever he goes.

It is no coincidence that his sole victory in 2020 came at the race — at California — that requires the lowest number of laps. Shorter races favor Bowman.

Evidence for his penchant for faster tracks is apparent in his history at Wednesday’s track

Out of 24 tracks, Bowman has earned his fifth-best average finishing position at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Before dropping to 19th in Sunday’s marathon rendition, he finished seventh in 2019 and ninth in 2018.

While those finishing numbers aren’t amazing, his starting finish was way worse than it will be on Wednesday.

He started 13th in 2019 and 27th in 2018. So the point is that he finished well ahead of where he started.

His average finishing position at the Charlotte Motor Speedway is certainly exacerbated by an unfortunate, mysteriously caused crash in 2017.

Before that crash, he was cruising in third place.

Bowman’s Key To Victory: Banking

What Bowman was able to do in the first two Stages of Sunday’s event and what he will need to do on Wednesday is to make the high bank work in his favor.

Based on the average speeds at the Charlotte Motor Speedway, it has justifiably acquired a reputation for being one of the faster tracks in the NASCAR Cup Series.

Average speeds are higher at this track due to banking.

At 24 degrees, the Charlotte Motor Speedway is banked relatively highly.

In NASCAR, passing drivers is not simply a matter of outracing them on a straightaway.

If that were the case, then horsepower would be a drastically more significant factor than it is.

Instead, it is crucial that drivers use the curves to collect greater momentum into the straightaways.

They want to make the bank push their car more strongly in their intended direction without sliding out of control but also without lagging behind competitors.

The Verdict

With his proclivity for shorter and faster races, Bowman is stylistically suited for the Alsco Uniforms 500.

He has a great history at the Charlotte Motor Speedway where he makes excellent use of the high banks.

Best Bet: Alex Bowman Top 3 Finish Alsco Uniforms 500 at +175 with BetOnline

I am literally starting from nothing with NASCAR. This is my first baby attempt at incorporating some technical analysis. It‘s obviously still very rudimentary.

Good stuff, VC. I've been watching way more NASCAR this year than I normally have, even the Xfinity and truck series. Been nice having a race almost every night to watch.

Bowman has been really good this year and the Hendrick team is really good right now, just been a bit unlucky. GL with this tonight and keep up the good work. I like reading your articles.

Feel free to share insight about the sport, the drivers, or your own picks! :) I like to promote discussion but i‘m also being selfish here.

I don't know if I'm ready to get back on the track after Sunday's brutal beat, but I'd agree with Bowman. Him -125 over Harvick seems like a good bet.

Not going to post stale lines as 4 of my 5 bets are long gone but here’s what I took for the race

Elliot over Kyle Busch
Reddick over Kenseth
Byron over Jones
Bowman over Harvick
Blaney over Hamlin

At current prices, I’d still play Elliot, Bowman, and Blaney. Blaney can still be got at -106 at DK, which is the same number I got. Byron and Reddick have both moved 25 cents so I can’t recommend them anymore.

Good race. Stinks with Bowman wrecking all by his lonesome in the last 100, but it is what it is. Looking forward to Bristol on Sunday.

Back