Alright time to help a fellow poster out

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
S

signalcaller

Local Milwaukee radio station is having a first round mock draft contest. A radio personality (the biggest one) is offering 350 bucks cash to anyone who can get 16 out of the 32. It really does not that seem that hard to be honest. Last year I believe I got 13 out of the first 16 in the CTG mock. With the help of you guys and your knowledge of the local teams I think I can peg this. One per email so hopefully get it twice lol.

First 3 I am going with
Stafford
Smith
Curry

Just to be safe, I know in my mock I had Monroe but this is for cash and I am taking no risks going out on a limb.
I guess I will go with the consensus and go until the first round is over. Lets get this fellow CTG'ers:cheers:

So basically Seattle is on the clock.

I am thinking Sanchez here, really don't know though. This is the wild card pick of the whole draft. Maybe Raji here?? And by the way, it is the pick associated with the player not the team.

At number four . . .

Well, no one is going to trade up for Eugene Monroe. So basically you either have the Seahawks going with Monroe or, outside chance, Sanchez.

But then you have both the Jets and Redskins really trying to move up to get Sanchez.

Actually Monroe seems to make a lot more sense. I do not think Jets or Skins have what it takes to move up to 4. So I am going to put Monroe in here.

1. Matthew Stafford
2. Jason Smith
3. Aaron Curry
4. Eugene Monroe

Cleveland is on the clock
Joe here is one of your teams.. Crabtree here?

So Joe, you see no chance the Hawks take Raji here?

No.

I think they almost certainly draft Monroe.

I also think they would be more than willing to trade down if somebody wants Sanchez. I think the same thing about Cleveland.

Now, given today's whole thing about Crabtree and Cleveland, Raji seems to have become a possibility in the top five for the first time since I've heard in a while.

I sort of look at what you're doing like an NCAA tourney bracket.

You can go all chalk or you can take some chances.

I would almost consider putting Sanchez at four and hoping for trades or Seattle to pick him--which wouldn't be stupid on their part if they think he's good.

Then you could put Raji at five because I don't see people trading up for Crabtree. And if Cleveland stays, Raji works there just as well as anybody.

In fact, if this Cleveland thing works, Crabtree may slide all the way to like eight or nine.

I thought I read somewhere that the Hawks were going to target Moreno.

Too high for him now.

For whatever reason nobody seems to think he goes until mid-to-late teens at best.

Exactly what I am looking for here Joe. Just some great discussion. Actually was just watching Sportscenter and heard that Crabtree thing for the first time. Harsh words there.

And the reason I don't really like the Sanchez at 4 anymore is because I really don't think Washington or the Jets have anywhere close to enough to move up there and get him. IIRC, the Skins have no 2nd rounder and the Jets have no 3rd (may be wrong there). I think I am going to stick with Monroe at 4 but 5 will be up for discussion for a while. Have until Saturday at 11 am est to turn it in.

So at 5 we have Raji, Crabtree, Orakpo (my personal pick)

Actually was just watching Sportscenter and heard that Crabtree thing for the first time. Harsh words there.

Funny, it did come of harsh. I'll say, however, after watching that, I'm less into Crabtree than I was. Some of his demeanor sort of squares with what that Cleveland report says. For example, when he says his biggest problem right now is figuring out what to wear on draft day.

So many of the other answers can be taught, and obviously were.

Whatever, I would still take him, I'd just like his head to be on straight.

Orakpo, I still contend doesn't make it below eight.

I also think you're smart on the Sanchez thing. Look, the Jets basically know they don't have enough--it's why there are now reports of them talking to the Skins about trading for Jason Campbell.

One I think you can pencil in is Oakland with a WR. Probably Maclin.

McShay has Maclin over Crabtree after both are available and Maclin going to Oakland. All about Al Davis and his speed thing. Not sure what I think about that. Still think I might end up going with Crabtree at 5. If they trade Edwards they woul be absolute morons to pass up Crabtree

If they trade Edwards they woul be absolute morons to pass up Crabtree

Warning, warning, warning--Browns' front office, Browns' front office.

Any ideas what cincy does guys. Maybe Andre Smith? They could really go anywhere on either side of the line imo.

If they trade Edwards they woul be absolute morons to pass up Crabtree

Warning, warning, warning--Browns' front office, Browns' front office.

Florio said that the Browns were turned off by wide receiver Michael Crabtree. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported the team thought he was a diva.

Florio said that the Browns were turned off by wide receiver Michael Crabtree. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported the team thought he was a diva.

Yeah, I saw that, the Browns seem to be throwing him under the bus right now. That said, it could be a smokescreen. One that they'd have to be cleaning up behind the scenes, but a smokescreen nonetheless.

I think the Bengals have to go OLine, Signal. Which probably means smith, unless Monroe drops in their lap.

Best rumor of the day so far, the list for Sanchez is now: Seattle, Cleveland, Washington, and NYJ.

ESPN says Seattle wants him, but is also willing to trade with Washington who would then trade Campbell to TB or the Jets. But then he says Cleveland now also wants Sanchez because they've soured on Crabtree and would then trade Brady Quinn to the Jets.

That Browns thing, though, is a total ploy by the Browns to get teams to trade up and here's why. Quinn won't fetch the number of draft picks that their number five pick should. The Browns don't want Sanchez, at least not more than they want more picks. The Browns want to burn the building down then rebuild it. One player doesn't do that. They need as many picks as possible.

But it's in their interest to make people think they want Sanchez for trade purposes.

Funny thing is i havent read 1 positive article about Stafford. everything says that teams are rating sanchez higher or he has bust written all over him. An NFL analyst even said that if Stafford were in last years draft, he'd be a second or third round pick.

Yet, he is pretty much a consensus no.1. NFL playing a cruel joke on the Lions?

Funny thing is i havent read 1 positive article about Stafford. everything says that teams are rating sanchez higher or he has bust written all over him. An NFL analyst even said that if Stafford were in last years draft, he'd be a second or third round pick.

The funniest thing I heard was yesterday when somebody said that teams, like Washington, are so high on Sanchez because they look at it thinking that they'd be getting the number one player in the draft next year. At which point you wonder who's smoking what.

Because not only would Sanchez not be the first player taken--not without an undefeated National Title he wouldnt--he would almost certainly be the the third QB off the board behind Bradford and McCoy.

The thing is I would bet a shit load of money that Sanchez will be 2 times the pro Stafford is going to be. I am not a fan of Stafford at all, but yet for whatever the reason nobody is really talking about Sanchez being better than Stafford

Nobody's talking about Stafford, I think, because he became the accepted number one almost immediately. So what was there to talk about.

This feels a little like the Peyton Manning draft. Where Ryan Leaf got all the press. Manning wasn't fun, wasn't sexy, blah, blah, blah. But Leaf had that cannon for an arm and had all the hype.

I'm not saying these two will play out like that, but Stafford's pro day--which apparently went extremely well--came before Sanchez's and it's been easier to move Sanchez around the board because he was never going in the top five. But the more you talk about a guy, the more people get interested in him and it feeds on itself.

Sanchez had one year, with a defense, by the way, that's going to put at least three players into the first round of the draft. Oh, and by the way, his coach didn't even think he should come out yet. I wouldn't touch that guy until late in the first round at best. I just don't think you know enough.

The thing is I would bet a shit load of money that Sanchez will be 2 times the pro Stafford is going to be. I am not a fan of Stafford at all, but yet for whatever the reason nobody is really talking about Sanchez being better than Stafford

I think everyone is talking up sanchez. Im reading on every sports page that Stafford is overrated and that Sanchez is the better QB.

BTW, I still believe Stafford is the better QB and has the marketability to be the face of a franchise.

I think I could put up similar numbers as a qb at USC and I cant throw a ball more than 30 yards.

Nobody's talking about Stafford, I think, because he became the accepted number one almost immediately. So what was there to talk about.

This feels a little like the Peyton Manning draft. Where Ryan Leaf got all the press. Manning wasn't fun, wasn't sexy, blah, blah, blah. But Leaf had that cannon for an arm and had all the hype.

I'm not saying these two will play out like that, but Stafford's pro day--which apparently went extremely well--came before Sanchez's and it's been easier to move Sanchez around the board because he was never going in the top five. But the more you talk about a guy, the more people get interested in him and it feeds on itself.

Sanchez had one year, with a defense, by the way, that's going to put at least three players into the first round of the draft. Oh, and by the way, his coach didn't even think he should come out yet. I wouldn't touch that guy until late in the first round at best. I just don't think you know enough.

So, you comparing Stafford or Sanchez to Leaf?

No, just the way the hype's gone. Peyton, like Stafford, was a long-time starter in college, and Sanchez's rise is based basically on one season and one great Bowl performance.

I have no idea whether either of these guys will have careers comparable to Leaf and/or Manning. But this is the way the draft goes. One guy who's got a huge body of work suddenly gets less talk about him than a guy who has one huge Bowl game.

Wait, I have a question. I know Curry's good. But why are we assuming Curry to KC at three?

I can make a pretty valid argument for Crabtree there.

First off, at what point in their history has NE ever shown that they really, really love LBs? In '07 when they signed Adailus Thomas?

That team is huge on retread LBs, not number one picks and that's where Pioli came from.

Second, KC's biggest weakness right now is rushing the passer. That's the biggest knock on Curry. Nobody knows if he's going to get you sacks.

Third, who does Cassel have to throw to there? He had Tony G., but now he's gone. So he's got what, Duane Bowe?

Look at all of Crabtree's yammering over the past 24 hours and what's the guy say--and what do his stats show? He scores TDs. Lots and lots of TDs.

Why not take what everybody says is a can't miss WR with your first pick, give your franchise guy someone to throw to, then go after defense the rest of the way?

No, just the way the hype's gone. Peyton, like Stafford, was a long-time starter in college, and Sanchez's rise is based basically on one season and one great Bowl performance.

I have no idea whether either of these guys will have careers comparable to Leaf and/or Manning. But this is the way the draft goes. One guy who's got a huge body of work suddenly gets less talk about him than a guy who has one huge Bowl game.

:cheers:

Sanchez had one great year playing for USC vs. (largely) PAC 10 D's...Stafford has years of experience and success vs. SEC D's.

IMO, Stafford is much more ready to face an NFL D. He just needs some "seasoning"...

Stafford has all the tools to be a successful NFL QB (but give him at least 3 yrs...every rook QB deserves 3 yrs)...even in Motown, baby.

Mully :tiphat:

Back