Ally 400 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Ally 400 Race Preview and Pick

NASCAR Cup Series: Ally 400
Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 5 p.m. ET (NBC) at Nashville Superspeedway in Lebanon, Tennessee

The Last Race

NASCAR's last Cup Series race was the Toyota / Save Mart 350 on June 12 at Sonoma Raceway.

At this event, Daniel Suarez won a NASCAR Cup Series race for the first time in his career.

This was an unusual race not only because Suarez won, but because the entire top four finishers were drivers who were looking for their first win of the season.

Like in so many other races this season, it was a terrible time to bet on the favorite to win outright.

Suarez's victory over the more favored drivers and everyone else was convincing.

He had the lead for each of the final 26 laps, and he won by a margin of about four seconds.

Because his victories are so rare and because it is very hard to win NASCAR Cup Series races back-to-back, I will exclude Suarez from consideration of the drivers likeliest to win this upcoming race.

Race Info

This week, the Ally 400 takes place at the Nashville Superspeedway, which is not actually in Nashville but in Lebanon, which is about 30 miles removed from the big city.

For this race, drivers must complete a total of 300 laps.

As has almost always been the case this season, there will be three stages for this race.

Stage 1 requires drivers to complete 90 laps.

Stage 2 ends upon completion of the 185th lap.

The final Stage consists in the final 115 laps.

Entry List and Starting Lineup

As is usually the case, the entry list for the upcoming race has been posted by this point of the week.

There are 36 teams/drivers listed out of a possible 40 spots.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will participate in this event.

All of the usual suspects will be there.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined via qualifying.

Qualifying will take place on Saturday, the day before the race, from 12:30 p.m. ET to 1:50 p.m. ET.

It will be two groups, single-vehicle, one lap, and two rounds.

Practice will, of course, precede qualifying.

The former event will take place on Friday from 5:30-6:20 p.m. ET.

Track Info

In earlier times, the Nashville Speedway witnessed wild events and chaos because particularly its outer lanes did not possess sufficient traction.

This missing traction made passing easier to pass.

In recent races at this track, however, resin was applied so that drivers' tires could do a better job of gripping the track so that traction is improved.

Also, the track should do a better job of enduring tire wear.

As a result, passing will be easier here, which means that starting position isn't quite so important and should not be taken so strongly into bettors' consideration.

Track Measurements

Each lap at this concrete tri-oval is 1.333 miles.

So, in completing 300 laps, drivers will have accumulated 399 miles.

This track is known as NASCAR's longest concrete oval.

Banking at this track isn't much. Turns are banked at 14 degrees.

Betting Approach

With NASCAR having returned to Nashville only last year, we can't rely too much on driver history here since there is only one race to consider.

But there are tracks that resemble the Nashville Superspeedway.

For my betting analysis, I emphasize Charlotte and Darlington because they are known for yielding moderate to strong tire wear and are similar in length to Nashville.

I emphasize intermediate tracks in general, and Dover because its surface is concrete and its length is similar to Nashville's.

My Guy

I love Kevin Harvick because, in the past three years, he ranks first in average finishing position in intermediate tracks, first in the category in Darlington, first in Charlotte, and second in Dover.

Expect Harvick to win because this is just the track for him to thrive at.

Best Bet: Harvick Outright (Odds TBA)

Ally 400 Race Preview and Pick

NASCAR Cup Series: Ally 400
Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 5 p.m. ET (NBC) at Nashville Superspeedway in Lebanon, Tennessee

The Last Race

NASCAR's last Cup Series race was the Toyota / Save Mart 350 on June 12 at Sonoma Raceway.

At this event, Daniel Suarez won a NASCAR Cup Series race for the first time in his career.

This was an unusual race not only because Suarez won, but because the entire top four finishers were drivers who were looking for their first win of the season.

Like in so many other races this season, it was a terrible time to bet on the favorite to win outright.

Suarez's victory over the more favored drivers and everyone else was convincing.

He had the lead for each of the final 26 laps, and he won by a margin of about four seconds.

Because his victories are so rare and because it is very hard to win NASCAR Cup Series races back-to-back, I will exclude Suarez from consideration of the drivers likeliest to win this upcoming race.

Race Info

This week, the Ally 400 takes place at the Nashville Superspeedway, which is not actually in Nashville but in Lebanon, which is about 30 miles removed from the big city.

For this race, drivers must complete a total of 300 laps.

As has almost always been the case this season, there will be three stages for this race.

Stage 1 requires drivers to complete 90 laps.

Stage 2 ends upon completion of the 185th lap.

The final Stage consists in the final 115 laps.

Entry List and Starting Lineup

As is usually the case, the entry list for the upcoming race has been posted by this point of the week.

There are 36 teams/drivers listed out of a possible 40 spots.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will participate in this event.

All of the usual suspects will be there.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined via qualifying.

Qualifying will take place on Saturday, the day before the race, from 12:30 p.m. ET to 1:50 p.m. ET.

It will be two groups, single-vehicle, one lap, and two rounds.

Practice will, of course, precede qualifying.

The former event will take place on Friday from 5:30-6:20 p.m. ET.

Track Info

In earlier times, the Nashville Speedway witnessed wild events and chaos because particularly its outer lanes did not possess sufficient traction.

This missing traction made passing easier to pass.

In recent races at this track, however, resin was applied so that drivers' tires could do a better job of gripping the track so that traction is improved.

Also, the track should do a better job of enduring tire wear.

As a result, passing will be easier here, which means that starting position isn't quite so important and should not be taken so strongly into bettors' consideration.

Track Measurements

Each lap at this concrete tri-oval is 1.333 miles.

So, in completing 300 laps, drivers will have accumulated 399 miles.

This track is known as NASCAR's longest concrete oval.

Banking at this track isn't much. Turns are banked at 14 degrees.

Betting Approach

With NASCAR having returned to Nashville only last year, we can't rely too much on driver history here since there is only one race to consider.

But there are tracks that resemble the Nashville Superspeedway.

For my betting analysis, I emphasize Charlotte and Darlington because they are known for yielding moderate to strong tire wear and are similar in length to Nashville.

I emphasize intermediate tracks in general, and Dover because its surface is concrete and its length is similar to Nashville's.

My Guy

I love Kevin Harvick because, in the past three years, he ranks first in average finishing position in intermediate tracks, first in the category in Darlington, first in Charlotte, and second in Dover.

Expect Harvick to win because this is just the track for him to thrive at.

Best Bet: Harvick Outright (Odds TBA)
I like Harvick too. He is +2200 at Bovada and BAS.

I bet $10 on him to win and I may add more after practice.

I also bet 1 unit on Harvick -115 versus Briscoe (Bovada)

I added:

1 unit:
Harvick +105 verses Briscoe (BAS) total of 2 units now
Stenhouse -110 verses Cindric (BAS)

0.5 unit:
McDowell Top 10 +1000

$10 more on Harvick to win at +2500 (BM)

I will be looking at ways to bet on Harvick, McDowell, and Stenhouse this week and maybe Almirola if he looks good in practice.

I already played outrights on Almirola and Stenhouse. Also Harvick +125 over Bowman.
Seeing things the same.
Betting on Almirola and Stenhouse is usually hard to stomach, but they have been better in the new car.
I may bet Harvick over Bowman but was gonna wait to until after qualifying in case I get better odds.
:cheers3:

Seeing things the same.
Betting on Almirola and Stenhouse is usually hard to stomach, but they have been better in the new car.
I may bet Harvick over Bowman but was gonna wait to until after qualifying in case I get better odds.
:cheers3:
Yeah. I was going into the week wanting to play AA in all matchups but one of those was vs Stenhouse.

I usually don't ever play Stenhouse due to his propensity for crashing but +5200 seemed good value for a track he had success at last year.

Good point on Harvick. He generally hasn't qualified well this year so you may get better odds afterwards.

I do, however, believe Chastain is the one to beat this week.

Yeah. I was going into the week wanting to play AA in all matchups but one of those was vs Stenhouse.

I usually don't ever play Stenhouse due to his propensity for crashing but +5200 seemed good value for a track he had success at last year.

Good point on Harvick. He generally hasn't qualified well this year so you may get better odds afterwards.

I do, however, believe Chastain is the one to beat this week.
FWIW, I rewatched last year's Nashville race the other night and Larson, Chastain, Harvick, Almirola, and Stenhouse had the best cars/were the best drivers. This is a new car this year, but those same drivers ran well at similar tracks this year, Darlington and Charlotte.

Last edited:
I don't see anything else to bet. I am less enthusiastic about the Ford cars, Harvick and Almirola, after practice and qualifying. Stenhouse did not like his car in practice and did not qualify well, so I am hesitant to bet anymore on him. I cannot find any McDowell matchups.

Chastain matchups are now too steep to bet.

Previous bets:

2 units:
Harvick +105/-115 verses Briscoe (BAS & Bovada)

1 unit:

0.5 unit:
McDowell Top 10 +1000

$20 on Harvick to win at +2200/+2500 (BM)

I don't see anything else to bet. I am less enthusiastic about the Ford cars, Harvick and Almirola, after practice and qualifying. Stenhouse did not like his car in practice and did not qualify well, so I am hesitant to bet anymore on him. I cannot find any McDowell matchups.

Previous bets:

2 units:

1 unit:

0.5 unit:
McDowell Top 10 +1000

That caution with 9 to go cost me the McDowell Top 10 and a 5 unit win, he was running 8th at the time and finished 13th after pitting for the caution.

+0.25 units

Nashville:
Xfinity -1.05 units
Cup +0.25 units

Nascar Total (2022):
Xfinity +6.15 units
Cup +41.48 units
Both +47.63 units

Previous bets:

2 units:

1 unit:

0.5 unit:
McDowell Top 10 +1000

Followed you on the Harvick 2 unit wager. Thanks.

Back