All-Star Race Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NASCAR All-Star Race Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: All-Star Race
Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 8 p.m. ET at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas

Prize Offering

NASCAR's Cup Series will resume this upcoming Sunday when the annual All-Star race takes place at the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas.

Drivers cannot collect points for this race in order to contribute to their position in the regular season standings.

However, in addition to pride and tradition, money will be a source of motivation. The winner of this race will receive one million dollars. So there are still more than enough reasons for drivers to compete.

Unique Format

This all-star race is formatted quite unlike any other race that has taken place this year.

Every other race but one had three stages. In the one exception, drivers completed four stages.

For this upcoming event, there will be six rounds. Starting position has been established by random draw.

Each of the first four rounds will consist in 15 laps. The starting positions may change after each round.

After Round 1, part of the field will be inverted. This part will be determined by random draw.

After Round 2, the entire field will be inverted. After Round 3, part of the field will be inverted again and this part will likewise be determined by a random draw.

For Round 5, the lineup will be determined by the overall results of the first four rounds. The top cumulative finisher through four rounds will start this round at pole position. Round 5 is also distinct from previous rounds because it consists in 30 laps.

Round 6 is the final round. Starting position for this round will be determined by the finishing order of the previous round. For this last round, drivers must complete 10 laps.

So in total, drivers will have completed 100 laps.

Participation

We know that the starting lineup has been positioned according to the results of a random draw.

We also know who some of the participants will be.

In order to already be declared eligible for this race, drivers had to win a race in this season or last season, win a previous NASCAR All-Star Race, or become a NASCAR Cup Series champion in any season of their career. Guys who accomplished either of the last two feats must be full-time drivers.

Overall, there are 17 drivers who fulfilled at least one of these three requirements and therefore clinched a spot in this year's All-Star race.

Other spots remain open. Before the main event, the NASCAR Open qualifying race will take place. The rest of the field will be occupied by drivers who win a segment in this race -- there will be three segments, consisting in 20, 20, and 10 laps, respectively -- or who win the race itself.

Track Info

The Texas Motor Speedway, which is the site of this year's All-Star Race, is an oval track.

One lap at this track is 1.5 miles long. This measurement might not be perfectly precise.

So in completing 100 laps, drivers will have accumulated about 150 miles.

Each lap features a fairly good level of banking at the turns. Turns 1 and 2 are banked 20 degrees while turns 3 and 4 are banked 24 degrees.

Avoid These Drivers

Be sure to place mistrust in Brad Keselowski. Keselowski shows awful form this season as he's finished outside the top 10 in five consecutive races.

Keselowski's history at Texas Motor Speedway is likewise terrible. His average finishing position (16.88) is worse than his average starting position (14.3).

Also stay away from Kevin Harvick. His last race at this track notwithstanding, he has a positive history at this track.

But he is not the same guy this season as he was in the last regular season. In his last three races this season, he finished 37th, 10th, and 22nd.

There are better drivers to invest in, drivers who marry strong overall form with positive track history.

My Guy

I like Kurt Busch, who is flying under the radar despite his promising form and positive history at this track.

In addition to having finished top-10 in his last eight tries at this track, he is coming off an eighth-placed finish at Sonoma.

Best Bet: Kurt Busch To Win (Odds TBA)

At least they are keeping the rules simple this year. :rofl:
I still have no idea wtf is going on. Some stages there inverting the whole field, some they are just inverting a few.

Think I'll focus on the Xfinity and truck race instead.

But I'll throw a few bucks on Reddick assuming he makes it in.

Salty truck race today with Chase and Chastain dropping down to compete. Nemechek has dominated this year and you are getting a discount on him today at +300.

Austin Hill at +850 and +225 for a top 3 is intriguing to me.

I threw a few bucks on Josh Berry at +10,000. That's my only play today.

But I think Nemechek at +300 is the winner.

I am probably sitting this race out due to the weird rules, unless someone has an angle that I do not see.
I totally agree. The inversion thing is stupid.

I bet Reddick -155 to advance to the main race. If he gets in and I can get 25-1 or so on him, I'll throw a few bucks just as a flyer with something to root for.

Back