AlexGurv Week Eight NCAA Picks

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
College Football 2008-2009 64-69-3 -4.50 units

Im gonna try to pick on writeups and give good reasoning for why im taking what im taking. Ive also decided that im gonna go a little slower on the halftime picks. They havent made a ton of money, and actually lost me a nice amount I suspect. At this pint, I just want a season in the plus, and a good season for Pitt, and Oklahoma to win the Championship. Also im gonna lessen the amount of units I bet. 1 unit, a play that I like. 2 units a play that I think looks pretty good. 3 units, a play I think cant lose.

FSU -11.5 to win 1 unit

I hate playing favorites, and I hate playing big favorites even more. But there is no denying it, this NC State team is very bad on all sides of the ball. Combined, all three of the QB's theyve had playing have thrown 6 TD's and 9 Ints. Not very impressive on the TD's, but pretty terrible on the Int's.

In the past FSU seemed to be a very defensive team, but thats not the case this year. I think you look at this game and you throw a lot of the history out the window. FSU put up 41 against a Miami team that was thought to have one of the better and quickest defenses in the country after they played Florida. FSU also beat what i thought was a pretty decent Colorado team. Putting up 39 against them. 80 points in 2 games is not like FSU but it seems to be this year.

NC State has no offense, has no little defense, averaging giving up 430 yards a game. While FSU is getting 415 yards a game and holding people to just 230 yards a game. Bottom line, this should be a blowout.

TCU +2.5 to win 2 units

Alright this BYU shit needs to end, today. BYU has gotten away with a lot of BS this year and I think the better team beat them. The struggled against Washington, they struggled at home against New Mexico. They gave up 330 yards to UTAH STATE.

Yes TCU did barely beat Colorado St this week. But there are two things i can say about that game. The first is that they were probably looking ahead, the second is, maybe TCU didnt put up the points, but they dominated in the game. TCU is also 11-3 at home ATS the last 3 years. Its time to end this BYU shit.

Boise St -26.5 to win 1 unit

These games have always been kind of close, but you have to remember that Hawaii always had good qaurterbacks the last 6 or 7 years. Maybe they were part of the system, but that system obviously isnt there anymore. Hawaii has always played great at home, and a little iffy on the road. Now with a team that isnt nearly as good, I expect Boise St to really roll. Hopefully just shut them out. I expect Hawaii to be devestatingly bad.

Northwestern -4 to win 1 unit

Purdue has always been legendary bad on the road, as far as I can remember anyway. Theyve struggled the last two games to put up points, and even though they might put up points I gotta pick Northwestern to put up more. Really last week I think Northwestern mostly beat themselves. It wasnt that MSU was that much better then them, but the silly mistakes, and a few turnovers and they really screwed themselves. They need work on the defense, but I think this is a very good offense. NW should hopefully win easily.

Clemson +2.5 to win 2 units

Now I know Clemson is bad, and they have a coach I couldnt even name, but they are at home so im gonna take my chances on them. I wouldnt have taken them at -4, but as a home dog, I like them. There defense seemed alright last week and Georgia Tech still has some kinks to work out in the option offense. Hopefully they win this game because they certainly have the talent to do so.

Kansas +19.5 to win 2 units

As much as I like the Sooners right now and im cheering for them all the way, this line is crazy. Kansas isnt gonna win this game and im not saying that its really even gonna be a hell of a game, but Kansas is gonna keep up with Oklahoma. Last week Texas proved that Oklahoma has some mistakes in there defense.

Last edited:
Wow you must have a lot of time on your hands. :tiphat:

Alex Like Clemson and Northwestern, If that Kansas games keeps climbing I like that as well.

Good Luck :cheers:

Now I know Clemson is bad, and they have a coach I couldnt even name, but they are at home so im gonna take my chances on them. I wouldnt have taken them at -4, but as a home dog, I like them.

very solid reasoning here.............. im thinking of taking every home team this week because home teams dont lose

NW is a play I'm strongly considering...same with TCU.

Any Pitt thoughts ???

Yeah itll be close, hype around the team again and Wanny will find a way to fuck it up. Thats probably why the line is so low, the wanny factor. But, Pitt defense is much better then they were last year, and the Navy offense shouldnt be as unstoppable as they were last year. Shady should have a sick game again. Overall they should win the game. But should is the keyword. If the line goes to 3 or anything under id think about it.

Cap - In the ACC home dogs usually cover, you can look it up. My reasoning is also that Bowden left. The team has a ton of talent and shoudlnt be in this spot they are now. But I like how you told me to keep my name out of your threads, and then you proceed to post for the first time all season in my thread. I thought you didnt like the shit that goes on at covers? A bit ironic if you ask me. Also that might not be a bad idea, about taking every home dog. :popcorn:

DDK - GL, nice hit on the Browns :cheers:

MSU +3 to win 2 units

Think they win this one. Ringer has been unstoppable this season and when they are ahead, because of him they are a good at keeping the leads. The Wisconsin win was impressive at the time, but now looking back at it, that team is just bad. This OSU team has struggled on offense, while MSU has been great on O. There have problems with the defense, but I think with the inexperience of Pryor, this wont be a huge concern.

Mizzu +6 to win 1 unit

Im just gotta take a stab at this.

Arkansas +8.5 to win 2 units

One thing Kentucky is good at is defense, but theyve struggled on the offensive end! Arkansas had an impressive win last week at Auburn. I think they could pull off another upset with this Kentucky offense being able to do very little and being overrated.

Last edited:
I tried for a while...but...

Adding LSU -2 to win 2 units
Colorado -2.5 to win 1 unit
Arizona +2.5 to win 2 units

Back