AlexGurv Week 1 NFL Picks

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
<table style="width: 245pt; border-collapse: collapse;" x:str="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="327"><colgroup><col style="width: 245pt;" width="327"></colgroup><tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"><td class="xl24" style="border: medium none rgb(240, 240, 240); width: 245pt; height: 15pt; background-color: transparent;" height="20" width="327">NFL 2007-2008 Overall 81-82-4 +9.80 units (49.49%)</td></tr></tbody></table>
Truth be told I'm not very good at the NFL and I won a lot on the Superbowl that really put me into the plus. Hoping that I hit at least +15 units this year overall in the NFL as a goal, 20 units as an overacheiving goal. I know thats pennies for some of you guys, but im just a college student. Ill be going to probably mostly every home game for the Steelers if not all of them, I also, never, ever bet on the Steelers unless its a primetime game or the playoffs. Early thoughts on thoughts on the season.

Steelers arent going to be very good, but the division doesnt look very good so they could still win it. One thing I think that can happen is the Bengals might be decent, not good, but decent. I dont think Cleveland will be very good, and I dont think Anderson will be very good either

I already have a thread about this, I think the Chargers win the Superbowl.

I think the Vikings will be a bust. Very overrated team, AP wont last all season and neither will Jackson.

The Colts might not be that good this year, still make the playoffs, but might not be as good.

I think Greenbay will make the playoffs

I hate Brett

Italics = leans
blue bold = final plays

Thursday, September 4th

Giants -4 to win 1 unit - W

Sunday, September 7th

Bengals -1.5 to win 1 unit - L
Miami +3 to win 1 unit-L
Arizona -2.5 to win 1 unit - W
Saints -3 to win 1 unit - W
Colts -9.5 to win 1 unit - L
Dallas -6 to win 1 unit - W
2H Miami +2.5 to win 1 unit-W
2H Titans Pick to win 1 unit-W
2H Saints -3 to win 1 unit - W
Carolina +8.5 to win 1 unit - W
1H Colts -7 to win 1 unit - L
2H Bears +10 to win 1 unit - W

Monday, September 8th

Greenbay -2 to win 1 unit - W
Oakland +3 to win 1 unit
1H Oakland +1 to win 1 unit - L
2H Oakland Pick (+100) to win 1 unit

Last edited:
GL Spanishshark
GL Marlo (sorry about the negative thoughts towards your vikes)

Giants -4 to win 1 unit

Marlo I actually meant to post the Giants as my lean but I guess my mind was in another place at the time. Even though I think the Giants will come back for an average year, the superbowl winner usually has a good start to the season. Steelers beat the Dolphins (Saban's last year), and the Colts crushed the Cheifs by 31 in their home opener.

Redskins have looked bad in the preseason. Lets face it, Jason Campbell is not the QB he was meant to be, he is not an NFL type QB IMO and never really had the potential to be. The offense has looked miserable in the preseason, and even though it is the preseason it sheds a small light on what is really going on, a grand total of 66 points in the preseason, in 5 games, and that includes a 30 point game agaisnt the Colts, just 6 points in the last 2 games. While I can see them doing slightly better in this game, I dont see it being very impressive. One bright spot for the Skins is Moss, but he hasnt really been their either the last couple of years, just 3 TD's last year. Randle El has been a shit talker since he won the Superbowl with the Steelers but thats all hes done. James Thrash has frankly never been good. Jason Taylor wont play this game, theyve got a lot of inexperience going on in the defense also. HB Blades was a great player at Pitt but he has proven to be average with the time he had in the NFL.

While the Giants, they have lost some of their team, Shockey,Osi, and Strahan, but they signed a few peices on the team in the offseason. Kiwanuka should be a solid replacement for OSI on the line, Justin Tuck should be a solid replacement for Strahan (pretty sure he had most sacks on the team last year). Plax is supposedly injured, but he was injured all of last season. Wynn should also have some solid team on the line in this game considering he knows this team well.

Then there is the coaching, never been a fan of Coughlin , but theres not much you can say about Zorn other then inexperience. Preseason doesnt bring in the real emotion for when it counts, the Giants will be back for this first game, in New York fucking City after they have won the superbowl, I see nothing but a pumped up crowd.

A few stats

Giants have won the first game of the matchup every year since 2003.
Giants are 9-4-1 in the NFC East ATS in there 14
Redskins are 2-6-2 the last 10 years ATS in Week 1

Sadly I wont see the first half of this game, got a night class that night till 8:30 probably wont be back till 9, but GL

Let's talk about the Bengals. Flacco starting at QB.

I think CP and company need to come out with a statement game?

Let me know your thoughts, line seems to be moving. I don't like this game for a few reasons.

Yo, no problem on the Vikes. Its a sink or swim season for us. We will see buddy.

Bengals -1.5 to win 1 unit

Dont see anyway that anyone could seriously convince me that the Ravens are going to win this game, or even make this a game. Bengals have never had a problem on the offensive side of the ball, Chad, TJ and Palmer are all back and they should be fine offensivly, the only problems that theyve had is on the defensive side of the ball, and that shouldnt be a problem with this Ravens team being absouletly disgusting on offense. Flacco might have a future in this league, but I cant see him playing that well in his first game ever, with a brand new coach. Unless Mcgahee, who some people how forgotten is on the team, goess for 200 yards, or Palmer gets injured, I really cant see the this even beign competitive. Of course anything can happen in the NFL, I would love to see the reasoning of anyone on Baltimore because I dont see it. The defense is also getting old, very old. I also think that the Bengals could suprise a lot of people this year for some reason.

Miami +3 to win 1 unit

I might just be stubborn here, but I said about a month ago my POY of the year would whatever team is playing Favre in the first game of the season. Not gonna make it my play of the year, but im not backing down from my position. Should be interesting with Pennington starting for the Dolphins. I think the Jets might be a huge bust this year, a team that spent a ton of money for shits and giggles, but what do I know. This is me mainly just doing what I siad I would do

I would love to see the reasoning of anyone on Baltimore because I dont see it

thats what I'm talking about.....thats why i have submitted a bet yet, but will soon.

I would love to see the reasoning of anyone on Baltimore because I dont see it

thats what I'm talking about.....thats why i have submitted a bet yet, but will soon.

Seriously, usually I can think of something for every team, but it doesnt make a fucking bit of sense to me. Of course this would be a great way to rape people out of the box if Flacco turns in Big Ben and starts out 15-1

GL Satyr :cheers:
GL broadwayjoe :cheers:
GL mcdrewcarey :cheers:

New Orleans -3 to win 1 unit

I think the Saints get off too a good start unlike last year and Tampa Bay is gonna have one of its down years. Tampa Bay has a ton of injuries, starting with Caddliac. I think the Saints take this one easily.

Arizona -2.5 to win 1 unit

Kurt Warner always starts out well, and I think Mularkey improves this team a lot this year with a good offensive system. They hve everyone back from last year, not a lot of injuries, while im not even sure ive ever even heard of the starting QB for the Giants.

GL this year Alex. Since I'm a TB homer I will give you some feedback. I don't wish any player to get hurt but as it turned out last year it helped the TB run game that Williams got hurt. He ran scared all the time even though he had a good rookie season. Graham had a great year after Caddy went down last year. TB added more depth last year by adding Michael Bennett. Not a #1 RB but a solid #2 RB. Add to the fact that Dunn came back to the TB offense and I like our ground game. The O-line has improved tremendously the last two years and that is huge cause TB has never had a good O-line in their history. I'm definitely not knocking your play because I can see the TB defense having some trouble with the NO offense mainly their passing game. Just think this will be a close game. Where I think TB wins this game is with their rush defense. Bush is a good player but he is no LT or AP. TB shut him down last year at NO where he only gained 64 yards on the ground. At TB it was even worse when he gained 27 yards. This is where I see NO losing the game. I have bene following TB during the offseason and the key to this game will be Garcia. He has looked crappy in the preseason. As he goes, the offense goes. I see a TB 27-20 win here. Just my .02

GL this year Alex. Since I'm a TB homer I will give you some feedback. I don't wish any player to get hurt but as it turned out last year it helped the TB run game that Williams got hurt. He ran scared all the time even though he had a good rookie season. Graham had a great year after Caddy went down last year. TB added more depth last year by adding Michael Bennett. Not a #1 RB but a solid #2 RB. Add to the fact that Dunn came back to the TB offense and I like our ground game. The O-line has improved tremendously the last two years and that is huge cause TB has never had a good O-line in their history. I'm definitely not knocking your play because I can see the TB defense having some trouble with the NO offense mainly their passing game. Just think this will be a close game. Where I think TB wins this game is with their rush defense. Bush is a good player but he is no LT or AP. TB shut him down last year at NO where he only gained 64 yards on the ground. At TB it was even worse when he gained 27 yards. This is where I see NO losing the game. I have bene following TB during the offseason and the key to this game will be Garcia. He has looked crappy in the preseason. As he goes, the offense goes. I see a TB 27-20 win here. Just my .02

Great info :cheers:

But I think New Orleans just dominates offensively over Tampa Bay. New Orleans is explosive while Tampa Bay is conservative and too many ?. Thats my take on it, but GL with your team this year

Indy -9.5 to win 1 unit

I always seem to get burned not betting the Colts with these big spreads in primetime games, because I keep thinking that Manning is gonna decline, and the defense is gonna get to him. Never happens. Bear's dont have an offense even close to the Colts. I think the Colts win in a blowout.

Greenbay -2 to win 1 unit

Cut and dry here, I think Vikings will be a bust, and Green Bay is the better team and will make the playoffs. Gonna stick with GB at home opening on a monday night.

Indy -9.5 to win 1 unit

I always seem to get burned not betting the Colts with these big spreads in primetime games, because I keep thinking that Manning is gonna decline, and the defense is gonna get to him. Never happens. Bear's dont have an offense even close to the Colts. I think the Colts win in a blowout.

Greenbay -2 to win 1 unit

Cut and dry here, I think Vikings will be a bust, and Green Bay is the better team and will make the playoffs. Gonna stick with GB at home opening on a monday night.

Bears starting D gave up 7 TDs on 9 drives in the preseason, and 1 blocked field goal and 1 stop. Heard this on the radio 2 nights ago.

That Defense is slightly over rated.

GB :seeya:

Bears starting D gave up 7 TDs on 9 drives in the preseason, and 1 blocked field goal and 1 stop. Heard this on the radio 2 nights ago.

That Defense is slightly over rated.

GB :seeya:

I dont think its really that D is bad, BUT, the offense is so bad, that the defense is just on the feild too much

nice win for us Blitz

1-0 start

Oakland +3 to win 1 unit

I hope im not just falling victim to the hype in this one but Denver is an absouletly eqaul team if not Denver is worse. Oakland has probably the better defense. They have the better running game, and some may say that Cutler is great, but he has proven as much as Russel has, and also Russel has more WR's.

Gl this week and season fellas

very solid card, alex. hope you sweep on sunday, bud. seriously...my heart leans with brett and the jets...but at the same time, there's really nothing i'd disagree with there.

:cheers:

Yanks - dont know why, never been a Brett fan, the whole last episode made me feel passionate hate for him. Started a thread in early August that whoever he plays for in Week 1, im betting against them as my POY. I dont do that POY shit, like to keep my plays the same price, but decided I gotta stick with what I say. Pennington has been practicing against this defense for years also, hes gotta know it pretty well, while Brett is gonna play like he has something prove. GL tommorow

GL tommorow Brar

i've decided i'm not rolling with the road chalk, but i do like the Rrrrrraiders tomorrow night

good luck alex

Dallas -6 to win 1 unit

Decided to roll with these guys. Cleveland did nothing to improve there secondary. Anderson, coming off a concussion, you dont know whats going on with him.

Gonna lock this in now also

Carolina +8.5 to win 1 unit

Hate to bet against my future, but having Muhammad and Delhomme back together, they should connect a few times, the running game looked great in the preseason, a lot of question marks about the Chargers.

Back