Alabama vs. Texas A&M Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Alabama vs. Texas A&M College Football Week 6 Picks

Alabama Crimson Tide vs. Texas A&M Aggies
Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 8 p.m. ET (CBS) at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas

Recency Bias

Recency bias is a phenomenon whereby people attach an exaggerated level of significance to the most recent games.

This phenomenon tends to affect bettors negatively because, in succumbing to recency bias, they fail to perceive the explainably high degree of variance that exists from week to week.

Moreover, they fail to observe the intricacies that explain the results of single games.

So, in order to make sure that the following analysis is not distorted by recency bias, I will talk about what happened in last week's games and why last week's games are not indicative of what will happen this Saturday.

Downfall of the Aggies?

Entering its game against Arkansas, Texas A&M was ranked seventh and undefeated.

Since the top four teams make the College Football Playoffs, the Aggies were on the verge of being in position to qualify.

However, their hopes were obliterated by what has turned out to be a very good Razorback squad, which was ranked eighth before being pummeled by an even better Georgia team.

Last week, Texas A&M lost to Mississippi State. Undoubtedly, it's a bad loss.

Because of recency bias, I suspect that sundry bettors are looking at this last Aggie loss plus the loss before and thinking that the Aggies are done for when the Tide visit College Station.

But there are two things to note about this last Aggie loss: Texas A&M was likely in letdown mode after having its season goal dashed by Arkansas.

Secondly, such a bad performance is nothing new when the Crimson Tide are on deck.

Last year, for example, the Aggies were favored by 31.5 points against lowly Vanderbilt.

Texas A&M barely won that game as it was looking ahead to its next opponent, which was Alabama.

Similarly, two seasons ago, the Aggies beat what was then a very bad Arkansas squad by only four points. They easily failed to cover the 23-point spread as its next game was against Alabama.

History suggests, therefore, that we should accord minimal significance to a bad Aggie performance when its next opponent is the Crimson Tide.

Since losing to the Razorbacks is by no means embarrassing this year, there is no reason for so many people to be down on the Aggies.

As for the Crimson Tide, they obliterated Ole Miss, beating the Rebels 42-7 before allowing two meaningless touchdowns.

Media talking heads had been blabbering all week about how flawed the Crimson Tide defense is after almost losing to Florida.

As many games show, like a blowout of Vanderbilt a few years ago, Nick Saban's Tide are great at using free ammunition.

Alabama was therefore amped to prove itself against a popularly backed underdog.

It's easy, too easy, to relish the fact that Bama only needs to win by 18 after beating highly-ranked Ole Miss by 21 last week.

But this game will have a different dynamic to it, especially at notoriously raucous Kyle Field, which in recent years (specifically 2017) has proven to be a difficult place for Saban's Tide.

Texas A&M Ground Game

Given its team's two recent losses, one may easily overlook the crucial respects in which the Aggie offense has actually improved.

This improvement was easy to foresee given the combination of hope-inspiring talent and bleak inexperience -- partly in terms of games played, partly in terms of games played with other Aggie players -- on the offensive line.

This combination produced some positive moments, but tremendous inconsistency and underachievement.

Now we see the opposite from what is a strong two-back system driven by Isaiah Spiller and Devon Achane.

Spiller is very strong, compactly sized, energetic as he drives with his legs, and uniquely difficult to bring down.

Leading the Aggie ground game, he has found consistency producing 7.8 YPC against New Mexico, 7.9 against Arkansas' highly-ranked run defense, and 6.3 against Mississippi State.

Alabama's near-loss at Florida showed that opposing teams can easily cover against Bama just by relying on a good ground game.

Inconsistent Offense vs. Aggie Defense

In streaks and phases, Bryce Young has undoubtedly been great as Bama's quarterback.

But it's not just the Florida game where he showed his inconsistency. In the second half against Ole Miss, he helped the Tide to only 14 second-half points.

As in the Gator game, the Tide offense will repeatedly stall when it has accumulated a meaningful lead. This inconsistency, this difficulty in concentrating, almost cost them in Gainesville, even against Florida's awful secondary.

Whereas Florida ranks 52nd nationally in opposing passer rating, a number that is deceptively flattering because of Gator opponents like South Florida and Kentucky which lack decently efficient passers, the Aggies rank 20th nationally in the category.

Texas A&M boasts physical defensive backs. Its secondary is spearheaded by stalwart, future NFL prospect Myles Jones, whom scouting reports praise for his speed over the top and his ability in press coverage, both of which will be useful assets against Alabama's leader in receiving yards, Jameson Williams.

Best Bet: Aggies +17.5 at -108 with Heritage

I don't think it is anything having to do with "recency bias". aTm has simply been dogshit all year (especially offensively). They may have been "3-0", "undefeated", whatever, but...... Zero impressive wins, basically underwhelming performances in all 3 wins over New Mexico, Kent St, and Colorado (a 10-7 win). Then they lose to Arkansas and then the Hogs get overhyped because people saw that as a big win (so then everybody hopped on the wagon to take all those points vs Georgia this past Saturday and we all saw how that ended). They have not looked like a quality football team at all this year. Yes, they were hyped preseason and this game was getting hyped as one of the top 3 or 5 biggest games of the college football season. I actually was planning on travelling to this game this week, but, wanted to see what aTm showed on the field a game or two before buying the overpriced tickets. Saw they're dogshit and decided to save my money for something else. I see Bama absolutely dominating this aTm team that, in my opinion, is STILL getting too much love from oddsmakers.

Health. :shake:

I don't think it is anything having to do with "recency bias". aTm has simply been dogshit all year (especially offensively).

I think bad qb bias would be more accurate! Lol. The folks who do the rankings snd everyone who had aggies hyped to be the team who could take bama down seemed to think replacing Mond was a non issue. I get it, not like Mond gave that wow factor, he was obviously doing some things right tho! He did get drafted! This kid they got now won’t be playing arena league! They lost some oline pieces also, not everyone simply reloads like bama, not even Clemson!

I didn’t read all your post or VC yet. My contacts bothering me and seeing phone getting tough! Lol. I’ll read both points of view 2marro. I obviously know exactly where you at! I’d bet my house you playing 1st half! If I had any sense I would bet my house on bama 1st half with you every week, I could have a bunch of houses! Lol.

I’ll say what my concern would be with bama 1st half this week (not that I won’t be playing it!!), just that I’d expect this to be much more a grind it out defensive game. I do think aggies defense good enough to make it difficult for bama offense early on. I really don’t expect aggies to be able to score tho, unless bama d has a letdown from shitting on arguable the best offense in the game I don’t much see how AM scores? 1st thought would be aggies 1st half team total under might be a good play to go with bama 1st half.

That just my 1st thought. I’ll read both ya’ll post after I have done some capping my own and rested my eyes so can see again! lol

I dunno man. Seems like you bring up recency bias a ton lately, like anytime you backing a team who recently lost! I understand there often value in backing teams folks are down on and usually ppl get down on teams who have lost recently. As mentioned I think this be a case of the entire season of work not being up to snuff.

At this point I feel it fair to say what a team was ranked at beginning of season is irrelevant as we often see those preseason rankings are absolutely useless. Lately I’ve heard the argument we shouldn’t even have those as it often leads to assumption bias about a team that may not have been deserving of a ranking. Often leading to teams who don’t deserve to be ranked hanging on to a spot simply because the preseason rank suggested they were something they clearly not.

In Aggies case if we look at their body of work Is it really fair to say this is or was ever a fringe playoff worthy team? They were up 10-3 on Kent st at half and they were somewhat fortunate to even be leading as Kent st ran all over them. The following week they trailed at half and were incredibly fortunate to beat a really bad Colorado team! Yet somehow they maintained a top 10 ranking thanks to the bias of the preseason rankers! Even their get right game against perennial whipping boys New Mexico before gettin into meet of real schedule they barely covered that number which had obviously been lowered due to their 1st 2 lackluster performances! that preseason rank was incredibly misleading, while the luster is clearly off now wouldnt it be fair to ask if this number would in fact be higher if not for the assumption they were a legit contender?

I heard ole miss line briefly opened at 20 before being hit down right away (I never saw that so I’m not 100% on the accuracy of this?), if that is true that only implies a fg different than this line at college station correct (give or tske depending what these home fields truly worth), I think ol miss has given us reason to believe despite the preseason ranks they a better team than AM (granted wildly different kind of team). Not comparing the 2 for purposes of what will happen here just as a way of questioning this line. Aggies were 4 point favs over hogs on a neutral and this week ol miss is -5 at home, kinda seems to me that preseason rankings of AM is actually the bias dictating their lines, does that make sense? If not cut me some freaking slack I’m super tired! Lol

I didn't intend at all to use preseason rankings to support my case in the slightest, so I hope it doesn't read like I do, but yes great points Banky.

I didn't intend at all to use preseason rankings to support my case in the slightest, so I hope it doesn't read like I do, but yes great points Banky.

I had to read several times cause I was drifting off a little so maybe I took wrong, lol. Felt to me like you saying basically they a legit contender but because the recent losses they being undervalued. Did I misunderstand? Pretty sure that why i kinda tried to argue them being ranked 7th in the 1st place was misleading. Like they still might be getting too much respect because of that. Don’t even know if I’m right was just trying to counterpoint. lol.

What were gators getting from bama in swamp? Bout this number wasn’t it? Now that a team I think despite possible recency bias is still a top 10-15 team. Wouldn’t you still have gators as better than AM? H2H I would def make gators favs. Of course gators covered easily, im
pretty confident in saying gators offense way more creative than aggies. I suppose a good question since I don’t have my laptop out is, can aggies generate pressure like gators tend to? I think that the key to staying in game with bama this year, ol piss got dominated up front. You gotta be able to attack bama oline cause at this point I’m still not sure they as good in that area as past years? Don’t think aggies can score 20+ so their d gonna have to play great and the O gonna have to play some keep away.

What number we looking at thinking AM has to hit to have reasonably good chance of covering? 17-20 probably fair? Or can they hold bama to 31 or less? If so obviously becomes more likely. Until I get in front my computer I can’t say if I like them to score 10-14-20?

I had to read several times cause I was drifting off a little so maybe I took wrong, lol. Felt to me like you saying basically they a legit contender but because the recent losses they being undervalued. Did I misunderstand? Pretty sure that why i kinda tried to argue them being ranked 7th in the 1st place was misleading. Like they still might be getting too much respect because of that. Don’t even know if I’m right was just trying to counterpoint. lol.

What were gators getting from bama in swamp? Bout this number wasn’t it? Now that a team I think despite possible recency bias is still a top 10-15 team. Wouldn’t you still have gators as better than AM? H2H I would def make gators favs. Of course gators covered easily, im
pretty confident in saying gators offense way more creative than aggies. I suppose a good question since I don’t have my laptop out is, can aggies generate pressure like gators tend to? I think that the key to staying in game with bama this year, ol piss got dominated up front. You gotta be able to attack bama oline cause at this point I’m still not sure they as good in that area as past years? Don’t think aggies can score 20+ so their d gonna have to play great and the O gonna have to play some keep away.

I think i was using the playoff contender thing just to suggest that losing to Arky and having playoff hopes dashed made the Miss St game a letdown situation — like Penn State vs Sparty a few years ago after PSU lost to Ohio State i believe

I think i was using the playoff contender thing just to suggest that losing to Arky and having playoff hopes dashed made the Miss St game a letdown situation — like Penn State vs Sparty a few years ago after PSU lost to Ohio State i believe

Gotcha. Honestly I thought it was just a close game that coulda went either way cause they not that far apart from messy st.

What number we looking at thinking AM has to hit to have reasonably good chance of covering? 17-20 probably fair? Or can they hold bama to 31 or less? If so obviously becomes more likely. Until I get in front my computer I can’t say if I like them to score 10-14-20?
I'm getting 13-17. So, they have to hold the Tide to 35 or less. I've been wrong many of times, but don't see it. I don't know if Saban secretly feeds on billboard material, but for the love of God Jimbo better pray he doesn't.

For the life of me I can‘t get why coaches/players still don‘t get that they shouldn’t give Nick free ammo

Back