Alabama vs Oklahoma Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bama Game Plan Against Oklahoma Will Keep Orange Bowl „Under“

Orange Bowl: Alabama (13-0 SU, 8-5 ATS, 9-4 O/U) vs Oklahoma (12-1 SU, 5-7-1 ATS, 10-2-1 O/U)

Saturday, Dec. 29, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens

NCAAF Pick: Under

Alabama returns to the college football playoffs for the fifth consecutive year. The Tide has covered its past three semifinal games with the „under“ hitting in each. Oklahoma returns to the semis after losing a double-overtime thriller to Georgia. For Oklahoma, three starting defensive backs, Jordan Parker, Justin Broiles, and Kahlil Haughton, may still not be ready to return from injury. They’re listed as ‚questionable,‘ as is leading wide receiver Marquise Brown. For Alabama, Heisman runner-up Tua Tagovailoa expects to be fully fit after ankle surgery. Bama’s starting left guard was suspended, but his backup is a very experienced former four-star recruit and there won't be noticeable drop-off.

How They Got Here

Despite having the 17th-hardest schedule based on S&P+, Bama won its first 12 games by at least three touchdowns. In the SEC title game, Bama came from behind with its backup quarterback, Jalen Hurts, to beat Georgia 35-28. The Sooners' schedule ranked 51 spots lower. They escaped Army in overtime, scraped by Oklahoma State at home, and lost to Texas at home. They avenged Texas in the Big 12 Championship and barely earned the opportunity to face Alabama.

Why Oklahoma Can Win/Cover

Some of Alabama’s later opponents have uncovered tactics which made Alabama look beatable. Mississippi State repeatedly put Tua under pressure, sacking him four times and keeping Alabama’s offense from finding a rhythm. Bama only covered that game because it shut out Miss State. Georgia likewise pressured and roughed up Tua even though its defensive line’s sack rate had been poor. If Oklahome can hold Alabama to fewer than 40 points, its offense can score enough. The Sooners have Heisman winner Kyler Murray. Murray has completed 70% of his passes for 4,053 yards, 11.9 YPA, and 40 touchdowns to seven interceptions. He’s also a threat with his legs and mobile quarterbacks from Johnny Manziel to Deshaun Watson have historically given Alabama difficulties. This season, Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond accrued a season-high 98 yards rushing. OU has scored at least 45 points in all four games when Murray rushed for over 90 yards.

Why Alabama Can Win/Cover

Tua will be motivated to show that he should have won the Heisman. With him, Alabama’s offense can score rapidly. It ranks second in IsoPPP+, which measures explosiveness. On the flip side, Oklahoma’s defense ranks 102nd in total defense and 101st in opposing passer rating. OU struggled even with Big 12 bottom-feeders. For instance, Kansas scored 40 points and its starting running back Pooka Williams ran for 252 yards, 89 more than against any other opponent. Tua has sundry big-play receivers at his disposal, four of which plus a tight end average over 17 yards per catch. He’s supported by three different running backs who average over five YPC. Bama is capable of scoring 50+. A higher-scoring game makes a bigger spread look less intimidating. Bama’s highly-ranked defense, by far the toughest that OU will have faced this season based on total defense, opposing YPC, opposing passer rating, etc., may only need a couple stops to secure the cover. OU is 1-5 ATS when scoring fewer than 50 points.

Common Opponents/Series History

Both OU and Bama faced an option team. Army accrued 44 minutes of time of possession to keep OU’s prolific offense on the sidelines and from finding a rhythm. The game was tied 21-21 after regulation and OU survived in overtime. Against The Citadel, Bama failed for the first time all season to lead after half-time. Bama responded by winning the second-half 40-7.

The Verdict

Oklahoma wants a shootout, Big-12 style, and Alabama knows that. Bama can follow Army’s game plan and keep Kyler Murray off the field. Oklahoma’s defense is soft and struggled against Army’s physical offensive line. Bama’s o-line is likewise highly-ranked in run blocking and can help sustain drives, ranking seventh in short-yardage situations. Damien Harris leads Bama running backs with 771 yards on 6.1 YPC despite facing formidable front sevens in the SEC like LSU’s and Georgia’s. He and Najee Harris and Josh Jacobs will have an even easier time against an Oklahoma’s 45th-ranked defense in opposing YPC despite being in the pass-happy Big 12 where only Oklahoma ranks top-50 in rushing offense.

On defense, Alabama can keep OU one-dimensional with its top-10 run defense. Bama’s run defense faced three of the SEC’s top five running backs, all 1,000-yard runners. Texas A&M’s Trayveon Williams mustered only 31 rushing yards on 3.9 YPC, Georgia’s D’Andre Swift produced 75 yards on 4.7 YPC, and Missouri’s Larry Rountree accrued 48 yards on 2.8 YPC. OU’s lowest point totals came when Kennedy Brooks and Trey Sermon were held under 100 yards.

Last edited:
Good luck. I think you will need OU to get shut down pretty heavily or get turnovers in the right spots to keep this one 40ies vs 30ies, though. Going to be harder for Bama to chew clock when A) They don't want to shorten the game B) they gash Oklahoma too easily making a running clock difficult

Were I not on the over, this would be my cheering interest. There is nothing worse in football than watching a game scored in the eighties. It's the worst the football product has to offer, no disrespect to either team involved as they are both really good and deserving of an opportunity to play for the championship. Just my viewing pleasure that is ravaged by these types of games.

The blitz strategy would be interesting given the high risk and high reward of it ... They are not stopping Bama in their base defense. The blitz technique might allow for the stop or the quicker strike, both of which might be better for OU than the 8 - 10 play drive of inevitability.

The blitz strategy would be interesting given the high risk and high reward of it ... They are not stopping Bama in their base defense. The blitz technique might allow for the stop or the quicker strike, both of which might be better for OU than the 8 - 10 play drive of inevitability.
Yup, make it helter skelter.

Your Hope here is a 35-0 halftime // 49-7 type of score through 3 quarters, point being that Alabama will score a touchdown on every possession that it wants to in this game.

Lincoln with 3 weeks off to prepare isn’t getting bullied out the gate with that oline but fair to disagree.

Good luck. I think you will need OU to get shut down pretty heavily or get turnovers in the right spots to keep this one 40ies vs 30ies, though. Going to be harder for Bama to chew clock when A) They don't want to shorten the game B) they gash Oklahoma too easily making a running clock difficult

Were I not on the over, this would be my cheering interest. There is nothing worse in football than watching a game scored in the eighties. It's the worst the football product has to offer, no disrespect to either team involved as they are both really good and deserving of an opportunity to play for the championship. Just my viewing pleasure that is ravaged by these types of games.

Agree with bolded part, fuck the Big 12, fuck the Rams/Chiefs showdown I was the only one who didn‘t like that. I don‘t want arena or Big 12 football, scores shoud be low enough for touchdowns to mean something, defenses should better and should be allowed to be better. That‘s Bama‘s biggest worry here getting some BS penalties on defense for being too rough on OU

I think what Alabama wants is to have as many possessions as possible, not shorten the game. Think they’ll also be ok forcing Kyler to use his legs. If we let him sit back with a clean pocket, he’ll pick us apart. I lean toward OU scoring 35-38 points. I’d love to see us shut down OU, but I don’t see how unless Kyler gets injured

I would think Bama wants to avoid something like the second natty against Clemson where the defense is worn down late and done for because the offense doesn‘t possess the ball long enough. If Bama takes its time to score it can keep its D fresher. If it knows it can score on OU‘s D everytime, it may as well give its D the best chance to succeed?

Last edited:
Limiting possessions is a strategy to use when your team can’t keep up with the opponent scoring. Not the case here. You can say that Alabama tired out against Clemson, and you’re not necessarily wrong, but Watson was unbelievable that night, worn out defense or not. Playing for limited possessions against OU would make any turnover or missed FG that much bigger an issue. It’s possible to win that way, but I think a shootout is more in Alabama’s favor than slowing the game down. For one, we haven’t played that way all season, and changing who you are for one game rarely works out well. And just because we think we can score every time doesn’t mean we can just try to grind out 4 yards at a time and eat clock. OU has been planning for this game for a month, and they will have something we’ve never seen. Can’t afford to get down 2-3 scores right off the bat trying to get too cute.

So quick strike versus quick strike. Bama‘s defense will get some needed stops in the 2H to pull away?

Totals in bowl games are especially hard. Outside of weather, no real consistent way to cap it imo

Back