Alabama vs LSU Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Pick "No. 2" Bama To Roll Past Rival LSU

No. 2 Alabama (8-0) hosts No. 19 LSU (6-2) Saturday at 8 PM ET. The Tide are favored by 21 points.

LSU Coach Ed Orgeron revealed LSU's recruiting focus for 2018, "We need to get more linemen."

The offensive and defensive lines have suffered from dismissals, transfers and time away from the program. These events have decimated the hope placed in prior recruiting classes Recurring injuries have led to player shuffling on both lines, which has interrupted chemistry. The experienced depth is thin. NFL-caliber talent is lacking.

The Tigers are a run-first team, with nearly twice as many carries as pass attempts. Problematically, leading rusher Derrius Guice has reached 100 rushing yards only once since September 9th vs Chattanooga. The poor run-blocking also forces Guice to deal with nagging injuries.

Against Alabama, LSU's left tackle will be injured, meaning that two freshmen will block for LSU against Bama's top-ranked run defense, which averages 2.4 yards per carry allowed. The betting significance of LSU's rush attack is that the Tigers are 1-4 ATS this season when rushing for fewer than 250 yards.

The fundamental significance of LSU's struggle with run blocking is that the defensive line is central to Alabama's 3-4 scheme.

With his massive strength and experienced play recognition, veteran defensive tackle Da'Ron Payne typically occupies multiple blockers, but nevertheless causes disruption by neutralizing offensive linemen or bulldozing into the backfield.

Da'Shawn Hand may return at defensive end and bring his combination of strength, athleticism and speed off the edge. If not, Isaiah Buggs, an explosive force off the snap despite his size at 6'5 and 293 pounds, can continue to replace Hand.

Alabama's defensive line boasts the most depth of strength and athletic ability. In dominating the interior against LSU, they will devour Guice in the backfield or force him horizontally until support arrives.

Shaun Dion Hamilton leads Bama linebackers with 37 tackles. His ability to penetrate gaps and shed blockers, his downhill explosiveness and supreme tackling efficiency allow him to instantaneously halt the opposing running back.

Quarterback Danny Etling lacks the mobility and arm to threaten Bama. Etling's accuracy is inconsistent. He has failed to reach 60% completion against any top-90 pass defense this season. Etling's best option will be the deep pass to his inexperienced but physically talented receiver D.J. Chark. But long passing plays take time to develop and LSU ranks outside the top 100 in sack percentage allowed. Without Etling being able to stretch Alabama's defense vertically, the Tide, who rank 25th in team sack percentage and whose veteran secondary ranks 6th in QB rating allowed, will subdue LSU offensively.

The Tide's rushing attack boasts four capable starters, three of whom average over 5.5 yards per carry. The decisive mismatch is Alabama's 4th ranked rush attack, with 6.3 YPC, against LSU's 76th-ranked rush defense, allowing 4.6 YPC. LSU is 0-2 ATS this season when allowing 200+ rush yards.

Damien Harris leads Bama's running backs with 8.6 YPC. His superior run blocking regularly gives him well-sized holes that he hits with momentum. He runs through contact due to his balance, strength and low center of gravity. Bama's running game can wear down LSU. The Tide rank 19th in accruing time of possession.

The Verdict

Bama has run over its SEC opponents and covered. They dominated trash-talking Vanderbilt 59-0, avenged Ole Miss's recent successes 66-3, made up for its one letdown at A&M by covering vs Arkansas, then rival Tennessee. Extra motivated by being dropped to #2 in the rankings, expect Bama to roll vs rival LSU.

NCAAF Pick: Alabama -21

Last edited:
This is for the 'rankings' thread but I will ask here as well..

What the heck is LSU doing rated 19th in the first rankings release? It is odd, confusing and reeks of something.

Saban needs an angle for a woodshed game....all the chirping Vandy did, Ole Miss recent success. Maybe this week it's being ranked behind Ga. in the first playoff poll. I dunno.

On the subject of Bama I do know that I'll be playing Mercer in a couple weeks when they meet. I want to say every year Bama has an ultra cupcake prior to the Iron Bowl and they're laying 49-ish and the game, inevitably, ends up 42-3. Someone may have this data going back several years.

What the heck is LSU doing rated 19th in the first rankings release? It is odd, confusing and reeks of something.

who do you want ahead of them? they at least have one good win.

who do you want ahead of them? they at least have one good win.

Out of all the teams...that is the one that jumped out to me.

Yes, a good win...in a game they were getting throttled in until the other team got conservative and let them back in. They had no business winning that game. They couldn't move the ball at all in the 2nd half.

The rest of their schedule is hot garbage and they lost to a very mediocre team in Troy...and that game wasn't as close as the final indicated.

I am pretty sure I can find at least 10 other teams that I would favor ATS in a match up with them below the 19 spot. (just in the 20's...Stanford, Arizona, Wazzou come to mind)

Saban needs an angle for a woodshed game....all the chirping Vandy did, Ole Miss recent success. Maybe this week it's being ranked behind Ga. in the first playoff poll. I dunno.

On the subject of Bama I do know that I'll be playing Mercer in a couple weeks when they meet. I want to say every year Bama has an ultra cupcake prior to the Iron Bowl and they're laying 49-ish and the game, inevitably, ends up 42-3. Someone may have this data going back several years.

2016 Chattanooga 31 -3 (-47.5)
2015 Charleston Southern 56-6 (-40.5)
2014 Western Carolina 48-14 (-50.5)
2013 Chattanooga 49-0 (-49.0)
2012 Western Carolina 49-0 (-55.0)
2011 Georgia Southern 45-21 (-43.0)
2010 Georgia State 63-7 (-44.0)
2009 Chattanooga 45-0 (-48.5)
2008 **Did not schedule a Alabama/SEC Fall Practice Game**

I see where your going with this. AL needs a ranked victory to weight their SOS.

Yes, a good win...in a game they were getting throttled in until the other team got conservative and let them back in. They had no business winning that game. They couldn't move the ball at all in the 2nd half.

The rest of their schedule is hot garbage and they lost to a very mediocre team in Troy...and that game wasn't as close as the final indicated.

I am pretty sure I can find at least 10 other teams that I would favor ATS in a match up with them below the 19 spot. (just in the 20's...Stanford, Arizona, Wazzou come to mind)

pretty even box score. I just can't give any of the P12 teams any credit. Wazzu got taken apart by a pretty bad Cal team. Arizona with Tate is probably pretty decent now, but I can't give them a pass on the first half of their season when compiling season rankings. USC....standard USC bullshit. And LSU also beat a Syracuse team that beat one of the top 4. meh, guess it doesn't bother me too much where they put any of these shit squads.

I see where your going with this. AL needs a ranked victory to weight their SOS.
It is moreso for the conference as a whole to possibly get 2 in if the chips fall correctly...

In my mind, Jorja and Bama are the two best in country as is(they just play in a bad conference)...followed by ND...and I doubt I feel different at end of year...

That is about where I ranked them. I put them there, in a 3-way tie with Auburn and Miss St. I didn't rank them based off of their accomplishments, but had to rank them in the same neighborhood as Auburn and Miss St. To me, the way I look at rankings, those teams are connected at the hip right now because MSU beat LSU, Auburn beat MSU and LSU beat Auburn and they are all 6-2. So that is just me.

Great lead off Virginia Cavs, that is where I see the biggest difference in this LSU team compared to prior editions, the OL and DL is not up to their standards. And they lack a number of playmakers that LSU has always had a couple or few of sitting around.

As many dogs as I play and as seldom as I play a big favorite, I would only take Alabama in this game.

This game reaks of a blowout. First bama gets ranked 2nd in the rankings. Second as stated above LSU is down on both fronts. And 3rd guice and the other guy running there mouths only gave bama more motivation. Bama covers in this one 41-13

I actually go to Bama btw. Grad school. (Virginia was bachelors). Went to the UT game last week and almost ran onto the field when that asshole flicked us off

Jalen still lives on campus next to the athlete's dining hall. I should ask him for betting advice. I wonder how much money Saban spent on that sick car of his btw

2016 Chattanooga 31 -3 (-47.5)
2015 Charleston Southern 56-6 (-40.5)
2014 Western Carolina 48-14 (-50.5)
2013 Chattanooga 49-0 (-49.0)
2012 Western Carolina 49-0 (-55.0)
2011 Georgia Southern 45-21 (-43.0)
2010 Georgia State 63-7 (-44.0)
2009 Chattanooga 45-0 (-48.5)
2008 **Did not schedule a Alabama/SEC Fall Practice Game**

Thank you, sir. Much as I expected.

His car is a Chrysler. I saw him today. I assume Chrysler belongs to Mercedes?

Diamler did own Chrysler for a period of time in the 1990s-early 2000s - they were good years for the Chrsyler/Dodge/Jeep brands. Then private equity firm Serbus acquired Chrysler, sucked off most of the cash and then during the financial crisis around 2008/9, rather than allowing bankruptcy the government put together a shotgun marriage for Fiat to take ownership of Chrysler.

It is moreso for the conference as a whole to possibly get 2 in if the chips fall correctly...

In my mind, Jorja and Bama are the two best in country as is(they just play in a bad conference)...followed by ND...and I doubt I feel different at end of year...

There's a a 50-50 chance that 4 weeks from now, one of those two SEC teams will have lost to Auburn.

Our O line is so so so young....if they play like they have been, the future is really bright. They get shoved around like they have been(lol), it could be a massacre.

Really really quiet game....".sneaky quiet.

CBS gets one night game a year ........been this one for 7 straight. I don't have high hopes. Lotta new faces. Last year was 10-7 in Tiger Stadium with another victory by Bama. Game is just odd

Which game?

You wanna talk SEC hot garbage schedules you gotta bark up a different team

LSU has shown and proven to schedule pretty god damn good over the years.....that's FACTS BAR

Wanna talk about other SEC schools....go ahead. LSU schedules brother. That's straight up.

LSU has shown and proven to schedule pretty god damn good over the years.....that's FACTS BAR

Wanna talk about other SEC schools....go ahead. LSU schedules brother. That's straight up.

By strong opponent do you mean BYU or Chattanooga? Or Cuse at LSU?

Okay, settle down bud.

I wasn't talking about that.

I was talking about their one good win. I wasn't talking about previous years or anything bud...

Okay, settle down bud.

I wasn't talking about that.

I was talking about their one good win. I wasn't talking about previous years or anything bud...
I hear you.

But when people try to lump the Tigers in on some non schedule shit.....that kills me

LSU schedules brother...

No business winning?

C'mon dog

It was 20-0 and Barn stopped playing.

LSU only way to score in 2h was ST's setting them up and Gus giving them a FG late as well. I watched the whole game. Barn was a team starting to fire on all cylinders and they kinda let up with a big lead on the road.

I hear you.

But when people try to lump the Tigers in on some non schedule shit.....that kills me

LSU schedules brother...

I know they schedule.

I wasn't talking about their schedule at all. I simply said they have one good win. The loss to Troy looks worse and worse every time you watch Brandon Silvers play football.

Cuse was a 'solid' win but nothing huge at that point as they were kinda stumbling around to that point in the season as well. It will look better on their resume in a month.

Not much to go at.

They have the top 4 correct so far in the order I would put them.

It will not matter in the end unless LSU wins out but it was just odd seeing them at #19 is all.
LSU could win out and still shouldn't be in playoff in my opinion

LSU could win out and still shouldn't be in playoff in my opinion

That is some non-homer honesty there. You are saying they win out and win the SEC and they don't deserve a top4 playoff spot because of some other short comings? I respect that independence.

I wouldn't rule out myself backing LSU as a worthy team in that scenario. Hard to rule anything in or out right now.

So twink, what is Alabama's range of pts and what is LSU's this game?

Our O line is so so so young....if they play like they have been, the future is really bright. They get shoved around like they have been(lol), it could be a massacre.

Really really quiet game....".sneaky quiet.

CBS gets one night game a year ........been this one for 7 straight. I don't have high hopes. Lotta new faces. Last year was 10-7 in Tiger Stadium with another victory by Bama. Game is just odd
10-0 shutout last year bro . I was there for my first tiger stadium experience

Back