Alabama Downfall Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
The Downfall of Alabama

Case For A Downfall

For the first time since November 8, 2015, the Crimson Tide are not ranked among the top 5. The 68 consecutive weeks of top-5 appearances have ended.

This year is also the first since 2010 in which Alabama lost two games in a season and the first since 2011 in which it lost to rival LSU.

Given these results, it seems like Alabama has become historically bad. People are saying that Alabama’s dynasty is over, the Crimson Tide will no longer be one of college football’s most dominant teams.

In other words, the Crimson Tide seem to have fallen.

Injuries

Injuries may be an overstated excuse because every team deals with them.

But losing top players and important leaders on both side of the ball is unique.

Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa —once considered a Heisman candidate -- suffered a season-ending injury before the Auburn game in which backup quarterback Mac Jones threw two pick sixes.

Before the season began, senior linebacker Dylan Moses also was injured for the season.

Without the All-American Moses and fellow injured veteran linebacker Josh McMillan, Alabama’s defense became supremely inexperienced.

Currently, four freshmen are listed as starters in Alabama’s defense — two defensive linemen and two linebackers.

The learning curve is considerable considering the complexity of Saban’s defense and some of the offensive power and ingenuity (especially LSU’s) on Alabama’s schedule.

Losing to this year’s brand of LSU is not a shocker. The Tigers not only have a pulse on offense but possess either the strongest or second-strongest offense that has proven too much for top defenses in the conference.

Still, giving up 48 points to Auburn — or 31 if you want to forget the two pick sixes and the controversial field goal — is disappointing because the Tigers only scored more points against Kent State, Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Samford.

Injuries Overstated

If the injuries matter so decisively, then Alabama isn’t suffering a downfall. You could say that the Tide would have beaten Auburn with Tua or even just with Moses and then they would be playoff-bound.

But I don’t think injuries alone explain Alabama’s current predicament because 2017 also involved a difficult injury-related situation, but ended well for Alabama. The front seven — especially the linebacking crew including all four starters — missed considerable time.

Injuries notwithstanding and with an inferior passer in Jalen Hurts at quarterback — the Crimson Tide still managed to make the playoffs — although one could argue that they probably shouldn’t have after losing 26-14 to Auburn and failing to reach the SEC Championship game.

Penalties

Nick Saban’s Alabama is known for being disciplined. In 2017, the Tide were the 38th-least penalized team.

Currently, only eight teams incur more penalties per game than Alabama, which ranks 122nd in penalties.

Big Games

It was poetically fitting that Alabama sealed its own fate against Auburn with a penalty as that was the team’s 13th penalty in the game.

While turnovers have not so much been a season-long issue, the two pick-sixes were decisive.

In the team’s other big game — against LSU — the Tide incurred seven penalties — right around its average — and turned it over twice.

Both issues were likewise prominent last season in the first playoff game against Oklahoma in which penalties led Nick Saban to famously smash his headset before halftime.

When Clemson blew out Alabama for the title, the Tide committed six times the number of penalties than Clemson did for five times the yardage and turned it over twice.

Most obviously, the defense has been gashed, allowing 34 points to Oklahoma, 44 to Clemson and this year allowing 46 to LSU and 48 to Auburn.

Verdict

Has Alabama fallen? The Tide have definitely slipped. Their defenses have performed worse since coordinator Kirby Smart left. They’ve dropped in recruiting rankings. They are losing big games in ways that are shocking for a Saban-coached team.

I think with more growth and experience on defense and some more injury luck, Alabama can definitely be a playoff-bound team again.

Something interesting I saw yesterday re: injuries. Most mock drafts have some combination of Tua, Jeudy, Ruggs, Diggs, Lewis, Smith, Wills and Moses as potential 1st round picks. In 3 years, they've never all played in the same game together.

Injuries don't tell the full story, but they certainly contributed and exposed some of the other things that fell off like recruiting. And the recruiting fall off and lack of discipline and situational awareness are explained in part by the massive turnover on the coaching staff. So many of the causes of the "downfall" are explainable and maybe correctable, but the things that worry me more are the lack of leadership and toughness we've seen over the last 2 years. Go watch our defense "tackle" in the big games this year. Then compare it to 4 years ago. Huge difference. I don't know what changed, whether we're just not getting the kind of guys that respond well to Saban, he's softened, or what. If we get to the USC game next season, and defenders are fighting to get through blocks and punishing ball carriers, I'll feel better. If I see some of the same stuff from this season, I think we're looking at another multiple loss season

Read an article last year..........Clemson assistant coaches stays at Clemson, unlike Alabama, where they leave in 1-2 years......I believe only 1 assistant coach left for head coaching job from Clemson.........also their assistants are now making around 1 million per year........even Saban said that it’s hard to maintain consistency when you have coaches leaving like his player’s after 1-2 years......throw in Saban’s age, the decline is coming......

therefore, I believe Clemson will overtake Alabama.....

Read an article last year..........Clemson assistant coaches stays at Clemson, unlike Alabama, where they leave in 1-2 years......I believe only 1 assistant coach left for head coaching job from Clemson.........also their assistants are now making around 1 million per year........even Saban said that it’s hard to maintain consistency when you have coaches leaving like his player’s after 1-2 years......throw in Saban’s age, the decline is coming......

I think they already have. Working for Saban has become a stepping stone to bigger gigs, while Dabo has found coaches that enjoy working for him and are not necessarily looking to move up the coaching ladder as quickly as possible. Clemson has minimal competition in the state and in their conference, and are well situated between recruiting hotbeds. They are built to last as it stands now. I think Dabo does a better job relating to the players these days than Saban does. Part of it is age, but part of it is also Saban's approach is more business-like. That worked great for players like Julio, Ingram, Minkah, Jonathan Allen, etc, but I'm not sure it works well for the current generation of players. I would never bet against Saban, and I think this offseason will tell us a lot about what the future looks like. My biggest hope is that when Saban does decide to call it a career, the call from home will be too much for Dabo to turn down

In the futures/hypotheticals on Bovada Memphis is +15.5 vs Bama in the Cotton Bowl. If I had more money in my account to sit on a pending wager I'd take those points all day long. Talk about motivated versus unmotivated.

And it's not like Nick is getting any younger.

LSU a far sexier team to play for right now IMO.

And Clemson is by far the best program in the country.

Can they compete? Sure. Are they a sure fire #1 every season moving forward? No.

And it's not like Nick is getting any younger.

LSU a far sexier team to play for right now IMO.

And Clemson is by far the best program in the country.

Can they compete? Sure. Are they a sure fire #1 every season moving forward? No.

I may have to eat crow on this, but I don't see Orgeron sustaining excellence. I think they will be pretty volatile with a really high ceiling, but a lower floor than the other top programs. Clemson could sustain this for a long time because they have SEC-level commitment from the top down in a conference that doesn't, outside of possibly FSU. Like I mentioned, I think this offseason will tell us a lot about which direction Alabama is truly trending, and if Saban is motivated to change course

I may have to eat crow on this, but I don't see Orgeron sustaining excellence. I think they will be pretty volatile with a really high ceiling, but a lower floor than the other top programs. Clemson could sustain this for a long time because they have SEC-level commitment from the top down in a conference that doesn't, outside of possibly FSU. Like I mentioned, I think this offseason will tell us a lot about which direction Alabama is truly trending, and if Saban is motivated to change course
It’s a different way about things but it’s working.
Really really well

The most shocking stat is that quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter, who has been on the staff for four seasons, and defensive tackles coach Bates and safeties coach Conn, both on staff for two seasons, would be the longest tenured staff members on Alabama's staff.

The most shocking stat is that quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter, who has been on the staff for four seasons, and defensive tackles coach Bates and safeties coach Conn, both on staff for two seasons, would be the longest tenured staff members on Alabama's staff.

I’ve saw on Monday night football I think.........the Patriots........like Clemson......had special teams coach for over 10 years I think.....also some defensive coach.....and add the current offense coach too.......

Bill Belichick was taking about how he uses Art of War book to imply it to football.......find opposing teams weakness and attacked it.......

People want to rag on the SEC, but the west knows who they have to beat.
These teams have beat Bama since Michigan last beat OSU.
Ole Miss(twice)
A&M
LSU
Aubbie(thrice)

I'd say the division is pretty competitive.
Some conferences aren't

What’s lost in all of this is that per capita the state of Louisiana historically has the best talent coming out of high school in the nation. A large part of Saban’s success has been plucking 5 star athletes from LSUs doorstep. He’s had Louisiana born starters/contributors on most if not all of his championship teams. With the abandonment of 3 yards and a cloud of dust and a quality QB commit every few years the misery of the past decade is gone. Dabo and Kirby have also had some success bringing in players from Louisiana but if the TIDE turns and more of these kids stay home I’ll be working with Hunt to step up my rusty shit talking game. However, Saban and the Tide are far from dead. He’ll be driving us all nuts for at least another 8-10 years.

Do some research. It’s a fact. You conveniently left out the per capita part. Start with the NFL it’s much easier to gather the data. Please report back with your hilarious findings.

kStateRatio (y)NFL Players (x)
1Florida1 in 4,095
201​
2Georgia1 in 4,132
114​
3South Carolina1 in 4,745
51​
4Alabama1 in 4,818
55​
5Louisiana1 in 5,017
60​
6Hawaii1 in 6,462
13​
7Mississippi1 in 7,000
26​
8Nebraska1 in 7,692
13​
9Nevada1 in 7,833
12​
10Ohio1 in 8,226
84​
11Texas1 in 8,818
154​
12Tennessee1 in 9,515
33​
13North Carolina1 in 9,711
45​
14Wisconsin1 in 10,786
28​
15New Jersey1 in 10,809
47​
16Delaware1 in 11,250
4​
17Oklahoma1 in 11,333
18​
18Maryland1 in 11,517
29​
19Arizona1 in 11,680
25​
20Virginia1 in 11,800
35​
21Pennsylvania1 in 11,831
59​
22Missouri1 in 12,577
26​
23California1 in 12,809
199​
24Arkansas1 in 13,545
11​
25Iowa1 in 13,583
12​
26Oregon1 in 13,769
13​
27Utah1 in 14,182
11​
28Colorado1 in 14,313
16​
29Idaho1 in 14,600
5​
30Michigan1 in 15,049
41​
31Minnesota1 in 15,611
18​
32Washington1 in 17,789
19​
33North Dakota1 in 18,500
2​
34Illinois1 in 19,452
42​
35Connecticut1 in 20,400
10​
36Indiana1 in 21,176
17​
37Kansas1 in 22,857
7​
38South Dakota1 in 23,500
2​
38West Virginia1 in 23,500
4​
40Kentucky1 in 25,222
9​
41Wyoming1 in 28,000
1​
42Massachusetts1 in 37,200
10​
43New Mexico1 in 39,333
3​
44New York1 in 42,552
29​
45Montana1 in 49,000
1​

This data starts with birth year of 1990. I’m old and the data has indeed changed but I have a strong inkling you expected Texas would be above Louisiana. And 10-20 years later Louisiana is still in the top 5. Maybe that explains Texas not “Being Back” just yet.

conferenceplayers on NFL rosters
SEC339
Big Ten253
ACC215
Pac-12189
Big 12122
American100
Mountain West65
C-USA59
MAC46
Independent35
Sun Belt21

Check out the full list of FBS schools with active NFL players below.

FBS SchoolPlayers
Alabama56
Ohio State45
Florida35
Miami (Fla.)34
LSU32
Florida State32
Oklahoma31
Georgia29
Penn State28
Texas A&M28
Clemson27
Wisconsin26
Auburn26
Stanford25
Notre Dame25
Washington25
Tennessee24
Michigan24
Iowa24
South Carolina24
UCLA23
Texas22
Southern California20
Nebraska20
Mississippi State19
Mississippi19
Oregon17
California16
UCF16
Temple16
West Virginia16
North Carolina15
Louisville15
Utah15
Pittsburgh14
North Carolina State14
Virginia Tech14
Michigan State13
Missouri13
Colorado13
Boston College13
Virginia13
Illinois12
Arkansas12
Oklahoma State12
Memphis12
Maryland12
Northwestern12
Texas Tech11
Rutgers11
Kentucky11
Cincinnati10
Oregon State10
Kansas State10
Purdue10
Arizona State10
Central Michigan10
Vanderbilt10
Houston10
SMU9
Boise State9
Southern Mississippi9
Indiana9
Duke9
Colorado State9
Washington State9
Utah State8
Connecticut8
Toledo8
Wyoming8
Florida Atlantic8
Baylor7
Western Kentucky7
Fresno State7
San Jose State7
South Florida6
Georgia Tech6
Tulane6
Marshall6
Louisiana Tech5
Rice5
Arizona5
Wake Forest5
Minnesota5
BYU5
Kansas5
Troy5
Old Dominion5
Northern Illinois5
San Diego State5
TCU4
Syracuse4
Nevada4
Appalachian State4
East Carolina4
Kent State4
Western Michigan4
Iowa State4
UAB4
Georgia State4
Akron4
UMass3
Middle Tennessee3
Florida International3
Hawaii2
New Mexico2
Eastern Michigan2
Ohio2
Texas State2
North Texas2
New Mexico State2
Buffalo2
Miami (Ohio)2
Army2
Air Force2
Arkansas State2
Bowling Green2
UTEP1
Coastal Carolina1
Georgia Southern1
Navy1
Tulsa1
Charlotte1
Liberty1
Ball State1
Louisiana-Lafayette1
South Alabama1

Check out the full list of FBS schools with active NFL players below.

FBS SchoolPlayers
Alabama56
Ohio State45
Florida35
Miami (Fla.)34
LSU32
Florida State32
Oklahoma31
Georgia29
Penn State28
Texas A&M28
Clemson27
Wisconsin26
Auburn26
Stanford25
Notre Dame25
Washington25
Tennessee24
Michigan24
Iowa24
South Carolina24
UCLA23
Texas22
Southern California20
Nebraska20
Mississippi State19
Mississippi19
Oregon17
California16
UCF16
Temple16
West Virginia16
North Carolina15
Louisville15
Utah15
Pittsburgh14
North Carolina State14
Virginia Tech14
Michigan State13
Missouri13
Colorado13
Boston College13
Virginia13
Illinois12
Arkansas12
Oklahoma State12
Memphis12
Maryland12
Northwestern12
Texas Tech11
Rutgers11
Kentucky11
Cincinnati10
Oregon State10
Kansas State10
Purdue10
Arizona State10
Central Michigan10
Vanderbilt10
Houston10
SMU9
Boise State9
Southern Mississippi9
Indiana9
Duke9
Colorado State9
Washington State9
Utah State8
Connecticut8
Toledo8
Wyoming8
Florida Atlantic8
Baylor7
Western Kentucky7
Fresno State7
San Jose State7
South Florida6
Georgia Tech6
Tulane6
Marshall6
Louisiana Tech5
Rice5
Arizona5
Wake Forest5
Minnesota5
BYU5
Kansas5
Troy5
Old Dominion5
Northern Illinois5
San Diego State5
TCU4
Syracuse4
Nevada4
Appalachian State4
East Carolina4
Kent State4
Western Michigan4
Iowa State4
UAB4
Georgia State4
Akron4
UMass3
Middle Tennessee3
Florida International3
Hawaii2
New Mexico2
Eastern Michigan2
Ohio2
Texas State2
North Texas2
New Mexico State2
Buffalo2
Miami (Ohio)2
Army2
Air Force2
Arkansas State2
Bowling Green2
UTEP1
Coastal Carolina1
Georgia Southern1
Navy1
Tulsa1
Charlotte1
Liberty1
Ball State1
Louisiana-Lafayette1
South Alabama1

not sure what this has to do with the price of tea in china
natives aren't bound to their state schools

let's try this since we went off to tangentville
How did state of Texas become the quarterback capital for the NFL?

Back