AL MVP Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
2023 American League MVP Odds: Corey Seager Is A Great Value Pick

Ruling out Candidates: Shohei Ohtani

Angel star Shohei Ohtani is favored at +150 to win the AL MVP.

His odds are ridiculous -- in principle, there is no value especially at this point of the year in a player whose odds are this low.

Even if we did like Ohtani, it seems likely that he endures some sort of slump at some point during the season, in which case his odds would rise from +150 and so become appealing from a value perspective.

Eliminating Candidates: Aaron Judge

Yankee slugger Aaron Judge's odds are, at +500, more attractive than Ohtani's.

But he just won AL MVP last season.

We can eliminate him because it is statistically unlikely for any player to win AL MVP in back-to-back seasons.

The last player to do this was Miguel Cabrera for Detroit, who won AL MVP back in 2012 and in 2013.

Eliminating Candidates: Mike Trout

With Trout listed at +400 to win AL MVP, we should be very confident in his potential to win the award if we choose to invest in him.

But his injury history, which has caused him to miss too many games in recent years, makes him unattractive at this price.

Also, his winning AL MVP would be unlikely because only one MLB player has ever won four MVP awards.

This historical hurdle makes him further unattractive at the available odds.

Even if our lives depended on choosing Trout, now would improbably be an appropriate time to invest in him, because it seems likely that at some point during the season his odds will rise.

Betting Strategy

If you look at who have been voted as the top MVP candidates, you'll notice that there is annual variance in who the most competitive candidates are.

For example, Marcus Semien and Carlos Correa were top-five candidates in 2021 but not last season.

With this expectation of variance, we should invest in players who were not top candidates to win the award last season.

Furthermore, we should invest in underappreciated batters, in batters who show great potential to which they have not lived up, because these are the ones whose odds are more attractive despite having a reasonable chance of winning.

Without further ado, here are the plays I recommend.

The Case for Corey Seager

Rangers' hitter Corey Seager struggled last year in his first season with his new team.

After procuring a BA above .300 and a slugging rate well above .500 in both of his previous two seasons, Seager's numbers declined last year.

But he appears primed to improve significantly.

Whereas he struggled in his first Spring Training with his new team, currently in Spring Training he is batting .468 and slugging .745 while leading his team with four home runs.

Seager's Uniqueness

Seager is a unique option because, as a lefty ground-ball hitter, he stands to benefit the most from changes in baseball rules.

Advanced data shows that left-handed ground-ball hitters will profit most from the ban to the shift -- statistically speaking, left-handed batters faced a shift nearly three times as often as righties and lost 25 more BA points than right-handed ones when they faced a shift.

Furthermore, lefties hit .207 when facing a shift and hitting a ground ball.

Seager himself hit .137 on 182 ground balls against a shift.

At his current odds, he is an excellent value pick because the odds do not reflect the extent to which he appears primed to improve in view of his current Spring Training stats and his relation to the rule changes pertaining to the shift.

Best Bet: Corey Seager to win American League MVP at +2500 with Bovada

The Case for Vlad Guerrero Jr.

With the odds being attractive as they are, it is worth investing in multiple candidates.

Toronto slugger Vlad Guerrero Jr. is another solid candidate, who appears primed at some point to win an MVP title as his father did.

It would be fitting for him to return to his 2021 form after disappointing his backers last season.

After being such a trendy pick last year, there is going to be less pressure on him to win the award.

In 2021, he hit .311 and accumulated 48 home runs. There's no reason why he can't reach and improve upon those stats.

Best Bet: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. to Win American League MVP at +1200 with Bovada

The Case for Byron Buxton

Minnesota Twins' player Byron Buxton has a lot of value at his current odds in view of his obvious talent.

He has accumulated 47 homers, 83 RBIs, and 111 runs in 153 games in his past two seasons combined.

If he could just stay healthy an entire season, then he could collect those stats in a single season and be a great candidate to win the award.

With respect to his injury situation, Buxton is especially intriguing because his team is more devoted now to keeping him healthy.

The Twins will more often have somebody else play center fielder and put Buxton at DH so that he has a better chance of staying healthy because his body will avoid accumulating as much wear and tear.

Best Bet: Byron Buxton to Win American League MVP at +3000 with Bovada

Very good read, agree with all the eliminating points and really the best thing the Twins can do for a Buxton to win is make the playoffs and create some national buzz. I think they can do that.

Seager and Buxton i find interesting. Nothing against vlad, 12-1 just doesn’t do it for me! Lol.

I agree bout ohtani in principal but fact of the matter is IF he stays healthy and doesn’t get traded to the NL he all but a lock to win it! Dude could win it as a pitcher or hitter! Maybe the guy fact he was pumping 100+ mph fastballs in april turns out to be a negative for him later on. there could be the possibility he gets traded I would think? From what I understand it all but a done deal he gonna be a dodger next year, assuming halo’s out of contention,,like every year, at some point dont they say might as well get something?

Interesting choices. I went with Trout at +680, Vladdy Jr. at +1100, and Seager at +3500…we have the same thoughts on them. I like the Rangers as a sneaky pick to win that division this year, even with the Astros being what they are.

I had Vladdy Jr. last year and it was as close as could be there with Ohtani but in the end Ohtani took the cake. It’s his to lose again this year, for good reason…but like you said the odds are crap.

I’m also thinking about throwing down on Bo Bichette in the AL. That dude can mash, that team is good, and if it’s not Vladdy it’ll be Bo. He’s currently at +3000.

Interesting choices. I went with Trout at +680, Vladdy Jr. at +1100, and Seager at +3500…we have the same thoughts on them. I like the Rangers as a sneaky pick to win that division this year, even with the Astros being what they are.

I had Vladdy Jr. last year and it was as close as could be there with Ohtani but in the end Ohtani took the cake. It’s his to lose again this year, for good reason…but like you said the odds are crap.

I’m also thinking about throwing down on Bo Bichette in the AL. That dude can mash, that team is good, and if it’s not Vladdy it’ll be Bo. He’s currently at +3000.

I think seattle makes rangers a really tough pick, seattle was a year early last year, they gonna be really good this season imo. With all the wild cards now I think for a guy to be in mvp contention you either have to have a historically great season or their team needs to be in the playoff race, shouldn’t take much more than a .500 record to be in that group! Rangers biggest problem is gonna be getting the innings out their starting pitching., if they could get 20+ starts out of all 5 their penciled in starters they would def compete! I just wouldn’t bet on that being the case. I see 20-1 on Seager, has he moved that much or is DK just being cheap? Lol

Trout 6-1 does nothing for me, I just need better odds than that to tie my money up plus how he win over ohtani? If ohtani gets hurt or traded then halos be so far out of it would take his most redic season ever from a guy who hadn’t been able to stay healthy for entire season in awhile, Thst just me tho, im sure he be great and In top 5 talks if healthy,

I think seattle makes rangers a really tough pick, seattle was a year early last year, they gonna be really good this season imo. With all the wild cards now I think for a guy to be in mvp contention you either have to have a historically great season or their team needs to be in the playoff race, shouldn’t take much more than a .500 record to be in that group! Rangers biggest problem is gonna be getting the innings out their starting pitching., if they could get 20+ starts out of all 5 their penciled in starters they would def compete! I just wouldn’t bet on that being the case. I see 20-1 on Seager, has he moved that much or is DK just being cheap? Lol

Trout 6-1 does nothing for me, I just need better odds than that to tie my money up plus how he win over ohtani? If ohtani gets hurt or traded then halos be so far out of it would take his most redic season ever from a guy who hadn’t been able to stay healthy for entire season in awhile, Thst just me tho, im sure he be great and In top 5 talks if healthy,
Seattle and SD should be favored coming in to the season, barring injury they are top of the list. If you bet Stros for 6 monthis, are you comfortable tying up that money?

Seager is 35-1 at my local shop right now.

I’m in the camp that thinks the Mariners, as talked about and how “hot” of a pick they are, regress some this year, and while they may be in contention so will the Rangers imo. Just one of those feelings I guess, it happens all the time where the hyped up, new, “can’t miss,” team is nothing close to it. The Mariners feel like that team to me this year…or one of them at least.

Trout is almost always in the mix (if he’s not injured for a big enough portion) of the year, and if he ends up winning I basically break even on all of my other MVP bets (both AL and NL), so it is what it is kinda thing.

Seattle and SD should be favored coming in to the season, barring injury they are top of the list. If you bet Stros for 6 monthis, are you comfortable tying up that money?

Oh god no I’d never take a team less than 20-1 for a season long future. Pads odds not good enough for me to bet now, seattle Is boarder line, honestly when it comes to these if I can’t get 25 or 30-1 on a team I really like I just assume wait till asb. One of these teams I like or another may emerge will be playing .500 ish ball and getting no love by mid-season, then I’ll get a better number, won’t have money sitting as long either! Then they get hot down the stretch! Last year taking Phillies and cards at start the season was unusual for me, I just loved both their chances of making playoffs and were both 25-1 or better. I still think I coulda gotten a better number on Phillies at some point during the year, in fact I’m sure bout it cause at one point I remember making fun of my Phillies future, then something happened and they took off. Wanna say at one point they were more like 40 or 50-1!!! Ill prob stay up tonight looking at teams cause I seriously don’t even know where some guys are playing! Just skimming odds right now I’d say only teams i could see throwing a few bucks at now would be white Sox +4000, twins +3500, and maybe O’s +8000 even tho division brutal, and i for real have no clue if I look at any those teams if they improved or not? So don’t take those too seriously! Just saying those the kind I’d look at right now. Reason for cws or twins now the odds high and i could see one of them getting off to a faster start. I like tribe but I rather wait and hope they playing middling ball up to asb maybe trailing those teams then I could get them at way better number.

Seager is 35-1 at my local shop right now.

I’m in the camp that thinks the Mariners, as talked about and how “hot” of a pick they are, regress some this year, and while they may be in contention so will the Rangers imo. Just one of those feelings I guess, it happens all the time where the hyped up, new, “can’t miss,” team is nothing close to it. The Mariners feel like that team to me this year…or one of them at least.

Trout is almost always in the mix (if he’s not injured for a big enough portion) of the year, and if he ends up winning I basically break even on all of my other MVP bets (both AL and NL), so it is what it is kinda thing.

Mariners odds too cheap for me to take them to win WS right now, they be one those teams I would hope start kinda slow and close to .500 at asb then I’d hope to grab them at 30 or 35-1 if there were still things I liked. I don’t think they going away with that young pitching but the fact they were a year early it certainly possible they come into year feeling themselves a bit and start slow. I imagine the rangers are probably getting more respect than they deserve, teams who throw all the money around in the off season almost always get overrated (remember the year reds did it? ). I think ppl overlook the incredibly likely issue they will have with pitchers on the IL. I do like Seager to have big year tho. Call me super crazy and I def gotta look at what reds lineup will look like but they have 200-1 odds in a division cards the overwhelming favs and their pitching has all kinds of question marks for me! Reds have some dynamic young arms who all got experience last year. This the kind of division
I wanna play a dog cause the top teams very average in one area or another. Of course I have no clue if reds did anything good in off season??? Lol. I’ll def do some reading tonight.

I like value on Buxton a lot and I think twins have a way better shot than rangers to make the playoffs. All comes down to health w Buxton. I might throw 20 bucks on him and Correa at 35-1. Gonna play twins WS future, one of those 2 gonna have to play at a mvp level for twins to take the central.

Reactions: KJ
I like value on Buxton a lot and I think twins have a way better shot than rangers to make the playoffs. All comes down to health w Buxton. I might throw 20 bucks on him and Correa at 35-1. Gonna play twins WS future, one of those 2 gonna have to play at a mvp level for twins to take the central.
Twins are the true under the radar team, I don't know of anyone talking about them. Not like the division is tough at all

The obvious issue w any AL player Is freaking ohtani. He basically gotta get hurt or traded to NL. He hits and pitches all year and forget it.

Twins are the true under the radar team, I don't know of anyone talking about them. Not like the division is tough at all

One of them or Cws I think has a really good year. They both have pieces in lot of places. Chisox are freaking due to have a little injury luck for a change. Maybe twins are w Buxton. For some reason I hear injury concerns w Pablo Lopez, dunno why ppl worry bout him but if he stays healthy he a stud. They could use Maeda to give them some those la years, even after he came to minny he was still fanning more than a k per inning, he gets back to that and the rotation is pretty solid, not spectacular but solid all way thru. Lopez has the stuff he could come out of nowhere and win a cy young I think. I don’t see guardians as better than either these 2 really, they just manage to stay healthier.

But him and Trout will always split votes

I guess. Doesn’t feel like trout plays enough games lately. Might not be a good thing for ohtani he was throwing 101 in March, who knows. I dunno if it will happen but at some point laa figures out they once again have no chance do they consider trading him? It gonna suck when he walks over to the dodgers and they get nothing, lol.

I guess. Doesn’t feel like trout plays enough games lately. Might not be a good thing for ohtani he was throwing 101 in March, who knows. I dunno if it will happen but at some point laa figures out they once again have no chance do they consider trading him? It gonna suck when he walks over to the dodgers and they get nothing, lol.
No way the Angels let that happen, he'll probably either stay or be traded to a NL East team with the resources. Can't see him landing locally (West Coast) without one hell of a tariff. He's incredibly valuable to teams that give no shit about spending money, that's for sure.

No way the Angels let that happen, he'll probably either stay or be traded to a NL East team with the resources. Can't see him landing locally (West Coast) without one hell of a tariff. He's incredibly valuable to teams that give no shit about spending money, that's for sure.

I’m not saying they gonna trade him to lad, I’m saying at end of the year there nothing they can do about it so might as well get something for him before then. They prob won’t trade him they will prob hold on and hope but they ain’t keeping him. Pretty sure that why dodgers let last few guys walk, think they gearing up to give him 10 years 500+ mil soon as he hits the market. Can’t imagine they woulda let Turner walk unless they needed money for this, it not like anyone can outbid lad if they want someone, pretty sure they want Ohtani.

Reactions: KJ
Back