Al Davis asks Lane Kiffin to resign has Raiders head coach

Now they are saying that Kiffin doesn't want to resign but wants to be fired. He wants the money, figures.

New head coach? Possibly Dennis Green.

Ya know at a certain age 'they' took away my Grandma's right to make any decisions that had any impact on anything because she was batshit crazy

I think its time they look into doing the same to Al Davis...

Raiders coach refuses to heed owner's call to resign

ESPN.com
<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->Raiders owner Al Davis sent a letter to Lane Kiffin recently asking for the coach to resign, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Kiffin has refused to resign, he told Mortensen.

The Raiders finished 4-12 in Kiffin's first season as coach.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Raiders coach refuses to heed Davis' call to resign

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis has been pushing for coach Lane Kiffin to resign and is considering Dennis Green as a potential replacement, sources close to Kiffin and the team said.

Davis has gone so far as to draft a letter of resignation for Kiffin to sign, a source said. Kiffin has refused to do so but has dared Davis to fire him instead. The letter, the source said, was sent to Kiffin two weeks ago.

Kiffin, who was 4-12 in his first season as coach, has two years remaining on his contract at an estimated $2 million per year.

In the letter sent to Kiffin's legal representatives, Davis stated that only he would have control over his staff and full personnel decisions, sources said.

According to a source close to Kiffin, Davis had promised Kiffin when he hired him that he would have more control over staff and personnel matters than recent Raiders coaches. Kiffin was allowed five offensive assistants and to name his own staff when he took the job after the 2006 season.

"I'm not going to comment on anything that has transpired in the past three weeks," Kiffin said from Mobile, Ala., where he and the Raiders staff are coaching the North team in the Under Armour Senior Bowl college all-star game.

The Raiders had no immediate comment.

Kiffn and Davis clashed near the conclusion of their postseason evaluation meetings when Kiffin expressed his desire to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, a source said. Ryan wanted out to join the New York Jets in a similar capacity, but the Raiders released a statement asking for speculation to cease about the defensive coordinator's future.

Just this week at the Senior Bowl, Kiffin and Ryan said their relationship was fine and expected to be coaching the team in 2008. But Davis has not rescinded his request for Kiffin to step down, a source said.

As for Green's candidacy, while team sources said Davis has reached out to the veteran coach, Green said Friday, "I haven't really talked to Al about any coaching job but, really, how many times has my name been mentioned every time something goes on with the Raiders?"

The Raiders will interview James Lofton on Monday for a job, a source said. Oakland is looking for a wide receivers coach and Lofton, who has interviewed in the past to be head coach of the Raiders, was recently fired as San Diego's receivers coach.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> Here is a question: which team is gonna be better "quicker"? Niners or Raiders?

I'd ask you to define better, but in all likelihood it doesn't matter how you define it.

With Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore and some other key components, the Niners should turn things around faster. However, part of me thinks having Martz there is only a short term fix so they get a little better for a year or two, but then slideback to right around 7-9.

The Raiders are a clusterf**k thanks to Al Davis.

Within three years the 49ers will be known as the best defense in the league. If they got a decent quarterback they could compete this next year. They need WR help but P Willie will be the best LB in the league by the end of next year.

Patrick Willis is a beast no doubt. But that defense needs more than a few pieces before they can be even close to dominant.

That said, if Nolan can work on fixing the defense, and Martz can work on fixing the offense, they may have something. That is, of course, if Martz's scheme doesn't doesn't get Alex Smith or whoever's under center killed before the end of the season.

As A Raider Fan Since 79, My 2 Cents...

In 1966, Mr. Davis became Commissioner of the AFL at 36 and was acclaimed nationally as the driving force who forged the historic merger between the AFL and NFL. He also played a vital role in the development of the game as a participant on the prestigious NFL Competition Committee and the NFL Owners Executive Committee.

In 1991, Mr. Davis became the first recipient of the NFL Players Association's Retired Players Award of Excellence "for his contributions to the men who played the game." As a member of the Executive Committee of the NFL Management Council, Mr. Davis was a major factor in achieving a collective bargaining agreement with the players.

This Is Davis's Team. He Can Do What He Wants, When He Wants. He Has Brought Championships To Oakland. And Wether I Like Or Totally DISLIKE What He's Doing/Done...

I Will Stand By Him To The End...Where Ever And WHEN Ever That May Be...

God Bless Al Davis!:shake:

Vapster :cheers:
davis_lead.jpg

I dont disagree with you Vap that he had done great things for football but the key word is had. He needs to hand over the reigns and move on. Wasn't it Dirty Harry who said "a man's got to know his limitations" ? :shake:

I'd rather ask, "what have you done for me lately"

Some...Like To Take Their Mom Or Dad To A Nursing Home...Cause Maybe They Think They HAD Been Good Parents...BUT...

Others, Take Their Parents Into Their Homes, Remembering ALL They've Done For Them... :shake:

"Gee...Mom Or Dad...You Did EVERYTHING For Me...Now It's Time For Me To Kick You Out...Enjoy Assisted Living!"

"what have you done for me lately"

What Did You Do For Me When I Was Young...Everything...

Not Gonna Send Ya Out On Your Ass Now..

OK, OK, maybe I used the word "home" insensitively. But #1. He's not my father. #2. He's not making good decisions for the franchise. #3. With all the money he's got he'll be in one hell of a home if his kids do decide to put him in one. I for one will not want to burden my kids and I would be in a state to not give a fuck what type of home I go into if and ever that comes to be. I'll be damned if I burden my kids.

Lighten up Vap...unless he's your dad

If He Was My Dad shark...I'd Be Seeing :36_1_36: :36_11_6:

My Whole Point Is...It's HIS Team And Has Been For Years...

He'll NEVER Step Down...And What Has He Done Wrong?! Tell Kiffin To Hit The Road?! 4-12?! 4--12?!?!?!

Good...I'd LOVE A Coach Like That, Who Shows HEART...Time For Someone To Show Some LOVE/HEART!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1OjGhIFc

Not The Coaches Or Owners Who Win Games...It's The Playas!

:23_32_9:

watch

Not only has Al Davis been great for Football, he has been great for minorities in football. Hired the first black coach ( Art Shell ) and the first latino head coach ( Tom Flores ).

Historically, Al Davis has been exceptional at evaluating talent.

People like to say that the game has passed him by ........ but it really wasn't that many years ago ( 2003 ) that the raiders were in the super bowl against the buccaneers. The year prior to that ( 2002 ) , they were the only team that made the playoffs to not lose a playoff game. Unfortunately, the patriots were crowned champions despite tom brady fumbling the game away to the raiders. The year prior to that ( 2001 ), they reached the afc championship game but lost after gannon was injured. After a stretch like that you have to do some rebuilding. This man gets attacked relentlessly and yet so many others get a free ride......

The following teams have never played in a superbowl ( raiders have played in 5 , including one this decade).

cleveland browns
arizona cardinals
houston texans
jacksonville jaguars
detroit lions
new orleans saints

the following teams have never won a superbowl ( the raiders have won 3 )

buffalo bills
cincinnati bengals
cleveland browns
arizona cardinals
atlanta falcons
carolina panthers
houston texans
jacksonville jaguars
detroit lions
minnesota vikings
new orleans saints
san diego chargers
tennessee titans ( houston oilers )
philadelphia eagles
seattle seahawks

That is 15 of the 32 teams in the league that have not won one superbowl.... again the raiders have won 3.

here is a list of teams that have reached the superbowl since the last time the raiders appeared ( guess the game cannot pass you by if you are never ahead of it ).

panthers, patriots, eagles, steelers, seahawks, bears, colts. you can now add the giants to the list.
THAT IS A TOTAL OF 7 plus giants make 8

But perhaps what i love about him most is that he bitch slapped marcus allen to the bench.

And to top it all off ....... we all know how the league screws the raiders. We are handicappers, so we make note of this bad officiating and factor it into the lines we create for each game. He has accomplished this magnificence while getting screwed all the while.

Had it not been for a bullshit catch and run by franco harris , the raiders would ahve one more superbowl appearance and likely one more super bowl win. Had it not been for the worst call that i have seen in sports during my lifetime ( the famed tuck rule -- please noone even attempt to argue that was not a fumble .. i hate losing respect for people. ) the raiders may have yet had another superbowl appearance and/or victory.

Get real .......... people don't like him , the league doesn't like him ..... but give the man his due. Al Davis is the f*cking MAN !

Dont need to preach to me about the Raiders man. I know Al Davis did alot for football and I loved the Raiders of the past. One of my friends played for the Raiders. You might even have known him (John Matuszak). He roomed with my brother in law in college and stayed good friends till he died. http://www.teddwebb.com/showcase/where_are_they_now/matuszak.html Anyways, the point is whether Al Davis is still making the right calls, not whether he is a good man or what he has done in the past. You guys are too emotional. Geez, Immagine if I got this upset everytime someone bashed my 1 win Fins. :36_11_6:

hey shark ... can only imagine the stories your friend has of times with matuszak. I have his book "cruisin with the tooz" and it was an entertaining read to say the least. Still remember him getting pulled over with the machetti (sp) in he back seat of his car, and his famous "hero sandwich" qoute from david letterman.

Raiders rule ..... but i am a bigger al davis fan than a raider fan. Great businessman , entrepreneur , visionary , football coach , talent scout , great friend to his friends , great owner. Just laugh at the hate filled rhetoric that people pull out on the guy who has one of the winningest sports franchises in history. Seems like there should be a lot more and better targets to attack than this PROVEN WINNER !

Game hasn't passed him by ...but it did pass by some of the great players he had in early part of this decade ... like rich gannon , jerry rice , tim brown , steve weisnewski and on and on. The team got a bit old and they are now rebuilding. Again, I say give one of the greatest sports owners in history a little slack and a little time to get the raiders back into superbowl contention.

AL DAVIS is the F*cking MAN !

The following teams have never played in a superbowl ( raiders have played in 5 , including one this decade).

cleveland browns

(Yawn) ... wake me up when the Raiders win more NFL championships than the Browns have. They won 'em when Al Davis wasn't drooling on his sweatsuit and playing with his own poop.

Just 'cause they changed the name of the last game of the year, kyle, doesn't erase the accomplishments. Read a book or something.

Not only has Al Davis been great for Football, he has been great for minorities in football. Hired the first black coach ( Art Shell ) and the first latino head coach ( Tom Flores ).

People like to say that the game has passed him by ........ but it really wasn't that many years ago ( 2003 ) that the raiders were in the super bowl against the buccaneers. The year prior to that ( 2002 ) , they were the only team that made the playoffs to not lose a playoff game. Unfortunately, the patriots were crowned champions despite tom brady fumbling the game away to the raiders. The year prior to that ( 2001 ), they reached the afc championship game but lost after gannon was injured. After a stretch like that you have to do some rebuilding. This man gets attacked relentlessly and yet so many others get a free ride......

cleveland browns
arizona cardinals
houston texans
jacksonville jaguars
detroit lions
new orleans saints

buffalo bills
cincinnati bengals
cleveland browns
arizona cardinals
atlanta falcons
carolina panthers
houston texans
jacksonville jaguars
detroit lions
minnesota vikings
new orleans saints
san diego chargers
philadelphia eagles
seattle seahawks

That is 15 of the 32 teams in the league that have not won one superbowl.... again the raiders have won 3.

here is a list of teams that have reached the superbowl since the last time the raiders appeared ( guess the game cannot pass you by if you are never ahead of it ).

panthers, patriots, eagles, steelers, seahawks, bears, colts. you can now add the giants to the list.

But perhaps what i love about him most is that he bitch slapped marcus allen to the bench.

And to top it all off ....... we all know how the league screws the raiders. We are handicappers, so we make note of this bad officiating and factor it into the lines we create for each game. He has accomplished this magnificence while getting screwed all the while.

Had it not been for a bullshit catch and run by franco harris , the raiders would ahve one more superbowl appearance and likely one more super bowl win. Had it not been for the worst call that i have seen in sports during my lifetime ( the famed tuck rule -- please noone even attempt to argue that was not a fumble .. i hate losing respect for people. ) the raiders may have yet had another superbowl appearance and/or victory.

Get real .......... people don't like him , the league doesn't like him ..... but give the man his due. Al Davis is the f*cking MAN !

Very well said man agree with everything

Just 'cause they changed the name of the last game of the year, kyle, doesn't erase the accomplishments. Read a book or something.

Did they have books back when the browns were winning championships ??

I understand that football did not begin with the first superbowl. And I do not mean to make light of any of the championships prior to superbowls.

But when discussing whether or not the game has passed Al Davis by .... I didn't think it was necessary to go back further than the first superbowl.

BTW , when watching the superbowl a week from sunday, make note of how they reference superbowl records and not championship game records. Not saying that I agree with it ...... but there it is.

No offense meant ...... and it might amaze you to learn that I have indeed read many books ....... picture books count , right ?

Lane Kiffin said he hopes to be back as Raiders coach next season, a day after reports surfaced that owner Al Davis has asked him to resign.
Kiffin was asked after coaching the North team at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Saturday whether he wanted to return for a second season as Oakland's coach.

"I hope so," he said.

Kiffin would not comment further on a report by ESPN that Davis drew up a resignation letter for him two weeks ago. "It's got nothing to do with this game, and these guys' last game here," he said.

The Raiders denied the report when it came out Friday.

---Mercury News Wire Services

hey shark ... can only imagine the stories your friend has of times with matuszak. I have his book "cruisin with the tooz" and it was an entertaining read to say the least. Still remember him getting pulled over with the machetti (sp) in he back seat of his car, and his famous "hero sandwich" qoute from david letterman.

Man, I tell you what, My brother in-law has tons of stories but I experienced some myself. Anytime the tooz had time off he'd come to Miami and crash at my sister's house. The first time I met the guy I just couldnt get over the guy's size but what really floored me was his voice. I swear it sounded like thunder coming out of a 55 gallon drum. No joke. His voice was bigger than him if you can immagine that! I also went to several parties with the clan and let me tell you what, I have never ever been to parties like that. Ever again! Umm..thats another whole story which probably should not be told. Like the tooz said to us several times..."what happens in Miami stays in Miami" :cheers:

cleveland browns
arizona cardinals
houston texans
jacksonville jaguars
detroit lions
new orleans saints

buffalo bills
cincinnati bengals
cleveland browns
arizona cardinals
atlanta falcons
carolina panthers
houston texans
jacksonville jaguars
detroit lions
minnesota vikings
new orleans saints
san diego chargers
philadelphia eagles
seattle seahawks

:cheers:

Looks like Da Raiders saga is over for 2008: (per PFTalk)

LOFTON FINALLY A DONE DEAL
A league source tells us that the Raiders have finalized the hiring of former Chargers receivers coach James Lofton. The Hall of Fame wideout, who twice interviewed for the head-coaching job in Oakland, will serve only as the receivers coach. The hiring likely will be announced later today, tomorrow at the latest.
Current receivers coach Charles Coe is expected to be reassigned, possibly to a position not on the coaching staff.
Per the source, and contrary to far juicier reports that the move was made without the knowledge or involvement of head coach Lane Kiffin, Kiffin was involved in the interview and hiring process.
The addition of Lofton fills all of the major positions on the coaching staff, and results in a much less significant offseason shake-up than some had expected.
There were signs, for example, of a potential offensive overhaul, amid reports that the team had requested permission to interview former Redskins associate head coach-offense Al Saunders. As we hear it, however, permission never was sought to speak with Saunders. Instead, the issue arose only after the Redskins sought permission to speak with a member of the Raiders' staff, presumably for the offensive coordinator position in D.C. In response, the Raiders mentioned that, if the coach in question had been hired by the Redskins, the Raiders might then be interested in Saunders.
Moreover, the Raiders didn't pursue Saunders after he was fired by the Redskins.

Mully :cheers:

Back