Ainge has broken finger.....

orange&white

Pretty much a regular
status is unknown for the game Saturday night. Just his pinky finger, but I would imagine its hard to throw a ball with any broken fingers. All you Cal backers just got a huge help although I still think the winner of this game is whoever runs the ball the best.

every indication i've seen is he's gonna try to go..they do have a "capable" backup, but this reminds me of the LSU game all over again..

I like Cal either way, but Ainge will try to go I'd assume..the pinky effects the snap more than the delivery.

I hear that it was "jammed" and that he will play. He is "streaky" anyway. I took CAl - 6. GL on your plays.

It wasn't jammed according to Coach Fulmer.

August 29, 2007
Final word on Ainge injury not good for Vols

Rob Lewis
VolQuest.com

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>The most scrutinized pinky injury in Tennessee football history took yet another twist this evening, and the news surrounding Erik Ainge's dinged-up digit was not good. Phillip Fulmer announced this evening that X-ray's on the quarterback's hand revealed a broken finger, a development that throws a serious Mouse wrench into the Vols' preparations for Saturday's game at Cal.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Its was first thought to be jammed, but is now confirmed its broken and he is going to try and play through it. Crompton is a o.k. backup, but he is not Ainge. If Ainge is not himself that is quite a blow.

Latest from Knox News Sentinel

Fulmer tired of pinky questions

By Mark Burgess (Contact)
Originally published 03:46 p.m., August 30, 2007
Updated 03:46 p.m., August 30, 2007

You get the feeling Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer is tired of talking about Erik Ainge’s pinky.
“Erik’s fine,” Fulmer said after an hour-and-a-half long practice at the Neyland-Thompson Indoor Practice Facility on Thursday.
“He’s ready to go play football.”
Ainge broke the pinky finger on his right (throwing hand) at practice on Monday, but was back on the practice field throwing, at least in a limited capacity as early as Wednesday.
Fulmer has said all week he felt his senior quarterback would be ready to go when the No. 15-ranked Vols play at No. 12-ranked California at 8 p.m. Saturday (TV: ABC).
After watching Ainge on Thursday, nothing happened to change Fulmer’s opinion.
He seemed almost upbeat about the progress.
“Erik did fine,” Fulmer said. “He took every snap of practice and threw the ball well. I don’t see any issues with that.
“I just appreciate his toughness. We gave it a couple of days to settle down and it worked out well. We’re excited about it.”
During the early portion of practice open to the media Ainge appeared to throw the ball well and with some velocity despite having his pinky and right ring finger taped together.
The passes were of the 10- to 15-yard variety, but Ainge was on the money and seemed comfortable.
Fulmer also reiterated his confidence in backup quarterback Jonathan Crompton.
“I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and I told him I think we have the best backup quarterback in the Southeastern Conference,” he said. “I don’t know all of them, but I think we do.
“I would be comfortable with Jonathan. Don’t get me wrong. I want our starter to play and he’s a starter for a reason, but these couple of days have been good for (Jonathan).”

likely that tennessee will run the ball even more now. Might be a bad beat for the over bettors.

Back