After 5 weeks of college football, what have we learned?

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
- Dear Lord, the penalties. Can we just see one, just one, punt or kick return w/o a block in the back? Seems like you can automatically assume now that you'll see some laundry any time a kick is returned.
- Good win for Michigan, but they were still committing penalties on the bus ride to the airport to go home.
- That bullshit rule that allows fair catch rule on kickoffs is just that. If I have a kicker who can pin a team back at the 2 with a nice kick and have a coverage team that nail a guy inside the 10, so be it. That rule is just stupid.
- Helluva bounce back for Kentucky. Thought they shot their wad against Miss. State last weekend but stepped up, again, this weekend.
- Bama is 17+ points better than any team. Figured I'd go out on a limb.
- We can all agree that Penn State has made better play calling decisions on 4th down.

Sometimes we over-react to injuries and players being out. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. NW didn't miss Larkin. Virginia Tech didn't miss Jackson. Jones didn't help Duke. Etc.

James Franklin is still an awful game day coach.

He should be apologizing to his players profusely for taking a win away from them perhaps.

Haskins wasn't pretty tonight but he piloted two drives in the 4th down double digits. He was patient and didn't force anything -- basically said screens are working, take them.

WVU had one of their games they do every year where they get real close to the TT in first half and lay a near donut in the 2nd half. Luckily a bailout came with a pick 6 late.

Harbaugh is now 1-31 in his college coaching career when his teams trail by 17+ points.

Clemson had no business winning but they pounded the run and made the big play when they needed.

Auburn should not be top-10, obviously. They will stay there though, as we've talked about to help out the Georgia and/Bama resumes.

Kyler Murray (smiley face).

Nice dominating win for Washington.

Messy St is officially average.

Purdue getting some rhythm going. Nebraska is a dumpster fire, for now.

Michigan St sloppy and that o-line, ugggh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick summation, was gone most of day...

But...

PAY OFFICIALS FULL TIME AND TRAIN THEM... PLEASE!!

It was Franklin's call

Wonder what Rahne thinks about it? We'll never know.

Coaches will always blame the execution of the play, never the call. In this case, blame the call. Worst possible call for them to succeed in that situation.

Sometimes we over-react to injuries and players being out. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. NW didn't miss Larkin. Virginia Tech didn't miss Jackson. Jones didn't help Duke. Etc.

My motto in other sports is never bet against an injury.

Now, one of these I totally disagree with and will talk about in the B1G Thread. :shake:

Eastern Michigan is still losing close games...after losing a bunch of close games last year. Gut punches.

If Air Force loses to Navy next week their program may be in a death spiral

UCONN has the worst D in the country

Syracuse might be sort of the real deal

Washington is the only dangerous team in pac 12

UGA and BAMA>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else

UK is legit, wow.

Michigan -10.5 2H and OSU + PLUS yes PLUS 2.5 2H were my two biggest bets of the season. Makes me ponder if I will ever bet full game lines again.

Franklin is who I knew he was, rah rah guy, horrible in game coach. To blow leads two years in a row in that fashion against the school you aspire to take off the throne is just shit in the face. He's the kid that got picked on in school, walks around with his chip, takes aggression out on little guys but mentally shrinks vs the big dogs.

Michigan is what we thought. Getting there but not there. Ill take any road win in conference and get the F out of dodge. On the ropes, down 17, big response. Once we got that first 7 pounding the shit out of purple i knew we'd see same old purple. What we do with it, IDK. Ive said it 50 times, just win our 9 or 10, keep recruiting positive and move on to bigger things. Anything more is house $$.

Honestly only two games I watched today. Assume Clemson is fucked if QB is injured, but D will carry them through horrible conference. OSU sails through now, f PSU who could have prevented this. ND will steal a bid from 1 loss UGA and it will be a crime unless OU/WVag each lose.. Bama laughs its way and everyone wonders in CFB why we even waste our time as fans rooting for a team.

Franklin took 2 timeouts before call, blame is on him 100%. By doing so he cost his team chance to get ball back one last time, something not lost on football people.
Exactly.

I understand wanting to get the right play but they would have gotten it back in my mind.

Add Franklin fought with students in stadium as he walked to tunnel after game who criticized him. Guy is unraveling, getting exposed.

Tosu has played two decent defenses and struggled offensively in both. Psu was the better team today but you have to finish drives, halves and games. Amazingly bad tackling by lions late in that game

GT secondary is a glaring weakness to an otherwise ok team

It has been mentioned before so maybe it isnt learned but the army qb can throw some

Tcu qb play just makes it hard

If you stop the memphis rb they are gonna struggle on O

Umass qb Ford is a good player

Vols are a decade away

Michigan -10.5 2H and OSU + PLUS yes PLUS 2.5 2H were my two biggest bets of the season. Makes me ponder if I will ever bet full game lines again.

I really like finding a good favorite down at HT, it's like you buy them on sale for the game. My Ohio State 2nd H line was -3.5 though...I should shop where you do! +2.5? I also took Hawaii -4.5 2nd H. On the downside ULM-6 2nd H didn't work so well this week.

To me, the Buckeyes don't look like a team that's going undefeated in the Big Ten. Maybe no one else exposes them but they are suspectible to big plays because they only have one good safety and the LB play was awful against McSorley's legs. Pass protection was horrible and Haskins looked rattled. Worried about @ MSU, will be on Purdue ATS plus a million.

Northwestern feels like really, really good fade material this Saturday. Fitzgerald was about as intense as you'll ever see him yesterday, and that's saying something. They obviously put a helluva lot into that game yesterday and I'd question what sort of bounce back you'll see on the road at Sparty.

I really like finding a good favorite down at HT, it's like you buy them on sale for the game. My Ohio State 2nd H line was -3.5 though...I should shop where you do! +2.5? I also took Hawaii -4.5 2nd H. On the downside ULM-6 2nd H didn't work so well this week.
Bovada they were +2.5, I thought it was an error. Made no sense.

To me, the Buckeyes don't look like a team that's going undefeated in the Big Ten. Maybe no one else exposes them but they are suspectible to big plays because they only have one good safety and the LB play was awful against McSorley's legs. Pass protection was horrible and Haskins looked rattled. Worried about @ MSU, will be on Purdue ATS plus a million.
Schedule is a joke, they coast now.

The "genius" Urban Meyer, was totally unprepared to go for the two point conversion after Ohio State scored its last touchdown to go up 27-26. With the clock running down, he doesn't call a time out and lets his team take a delay of game penalty, turning a 3 yard play into an 8 yard play. He then calls a time out when the clock was expiring when they were on the 8 yard line. Those who laid 3 on the Buckeyes were not happy with Urban's preparedness, and it does call into question his status as a great coach.

New Mexico should not be favored against anyone. 7 pt favorite to Liberty at home. Half time Liberty was up 42-10. If Lobks faces a aerial attack, they get destroyed. Defense gave up 11/245yrds to Liberty’s WR.

For UNM, beating the Aggies -- after two straight upset losses -- was a huge deal.

Tosu has played two decent defenses and struggled offensively in both. Psu was the better team today but you have to finish drives, halves and games. Amazingly bad tackling by lions late in that game

GT secondary is a glaring weakness to an otherwise ok team

It has been mentioned before so maybe it isnt learned but the army qb can throw some

Tcu qb play just makes it hard

If you stop the memphis rb they are gonna struggle on O

Umass qb Ford is a good player

Vols are a decade away

Really? I actually thought Tennessee played pretty well this week and certainly gave me some hope that they are headed in the right direction.

I think this is the year that Michigan gets them.

I think this is the year that Michigan gets them.

I agree. Team has already escaped twice. Offense is the kind that destroys lessers but isn't all there yet against good defenses. Of course, you cannot rely on Michigan to score either.

Refs are taking over games. The targeting call in tOSU/PSU was a joke. The WR head butted the defenders shoulder pad. Buckeyes are lucky that did not cost them.

Northwestern feels like really, really good fade material this Saturday. Fitzgerald was about as intense as you'll ever see him yesterday, and that's saying something. They obviously put a helluva lot into that game yesterday and I'd question what sort of bounce back you'll see on the road at Sparty.

Good observation.

Haskins looked very mediocre to me, needs a lot of development. Most of the ydg OSU got in the passing game was run after catch, and somewhat helped by poor PSU tackling in the second level.

Fitzgerald has looked very poor to me the last two weeks, thought he had made strides in the passing game but after what I have watched I'm not sure I can see Miss St. turning it around this year despite their good line play on both sides of the ball.

"Siberacuse" is the REAL DEAL. PAINFUL loss @ Clemson last week. can NOT believe they are only -4 1/2 @ U Pittsbugh this week

my Hawaii Rainbows have NO defense. they will have to score at least 40+ points a game to win which is possible with Cole McDonald throwing the ball. LUCKY to "squeek by" @ San Hoser State BUT didn't come CLOSE to the cover. are -3 1/2 vs Wyoming this week @ Hawaii. total should be INSANE

LSU can roll anyone in the SEC ex for Alabama. are -2 @ Florida this week

don't look now BUT Kentucky is 5-0 with wins over SEC teams Florida, Miss State and South Carolina and they are a +6 dog @ Texas A&M this week. Aggies only beat sorry ass Arkansas by a TD last week

Last edited:
ECU might actually be a decent team. They have outgained each opponent by more than 100 yards. QB play is erratic, at best, but strong receiving core and their DL is really good. Secondary isn't too bad. The defensive coaching staff seems to be pretty good.

Im def. on them this week.

Back