Adam LaRoche story

• Thread starter Thread starter dudleysdad
  • Start date Start date
D

dudleysdad

Not sure you guys talked about it here
BS'd about it with some friends out watching the tourney games.
Most of us thought is ridiculous to think you should be allowed to bring your kid around the locker room all the time, adults can't be themselves around some young kid, and they should not have to have a filter b/c someone has to bring their kid around every day.
And does this kid go to school is the other question????
None of use with normal jobs can bring our kids to work.

In White Sox world this is a big deal. That is, it's a big deal in spring training, which I'm pretty confident means that by the fourth week of the season nobody even remembers it in the clubhouse—until Kenny Williams does some fucked up shit. And then they'll use it as part of a pattern.

There are baseball people, believe it or not, who are 100% on the side of LaRoche because baseball, tradition, and on and on.

Honestly, from a fan's perspective, I couldn't be happier he's off the team. He was dead weight, a terrible signing, and we were on the hook for like $13m this year to carry his dead ass for 162 games.

I think this guy summed it up pretty well: http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/3/19/11269960/open-letter-to-white-sox-players

What was crazy is this kid just didn't go to the home games, but accompanied them on the road games too. WTF keep your kid at home.

Weird thing indeed.

I agree don't bring kids to work on a daily basis, or here, almost 75% of season.

Kid is home-schooled, I believe.

Hey, I loved going to my dads work as a kid, but that would be for maybe 30 minutes at the end of the day. Even as an evolving boy, age 14 is no place to spend entire days in a mans workplace. It seems like going through drills etc is a bit much.

But I read that written into his contract?

This isn't hard. Your employer who is paying you $13million says don't bring your kid to the clubhouse. What is the discussion? This is not a tough decision. LaRoche is not anymore important than the rest of us who have jobs. Leave the kid at home. Have some respect for your employer. Have some respect for your team. Have some respect for your teammates. Teach your kid how to make reasonable decisions instead of how to do pranks, chew sunflower seeds, and crack dirty jokes about the nicest looking fan in the stands.

Be a man.

I've heard it was in his contract, but if that's true why would he need to retire?

More importantly, why does Kenny Williams continue to make that franchise dysfunctional?

I'd love to see the language in the contract. I bet it's something kind of vague like, "family access to the clubhouse and field" or something like that. Privately, the White Sox position is probably something along the lines of, "We didn't think you actually meant every damn game."

I've heard it was in his contract, but if that's true why would he need to retire?

More importantly, why does Kenny Williams continue to make that franchise dysfunctional?
I've heard that and I've also heard it was a handshake agreement. As for Williams, to me it seems that he's dumb like a fox here. This will blow over once the season starts and he's rid of a bad contract for a no longer productive player.

No doubt they should be happy about dumping the contract, and it may blow over after they're out of it anyway, but I don't think he'll be getting any reputation cards from players/agents and that's just a bit important for a front office to be successful

Apparently it was worse than just him in the clubhouse, he used to participate in drills and shit. He was basically a little member of the team.

And you wonder how kids of major leaguers end up with a leg up. I know baseball is different and that kids are all over clubehouses, but this was ridiculous.

Good riddance to a bad contract, really.

Shoulda just told the other players to curse non-stop, walk around butt Nekkid and allow alcohol after games. Woulda gotten rid of the little turd after a week

Shoulda just told the other players to curse non-stop, walk around butt Nekkid and allow alcohol after games. Woulda gotten rid of the little turd after a week

lol, I was wondering about this. I haven't actually been in a major league clubhouse when the players were around, but I imagine the typical subject matter ranges from fucking to the opposing starting pitcher to blowjobs.

I'm sure they were already doing that. The kid was 14, not 6. He was probably given the talk from his dad that anything goes in the clubhouse and it stays in the clubhouse.

No doubt they should be happy about dumping the contract, and it may blow over after they're out of it anyway, but I don't think he'll be getting any reputation cards from players/agents and that's just a bit important for a front office to be successful
Maybe not but it doesn't look like Williams was entirely (or at all) in the wrong on this. Mike Lupica's column from yesterdays NY Daily News sums it up pretty well I think.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...he-no-victim-riff-white-sox-article-1.2570765

How the hell can you walk away from 13 mil? Maybe I could understand if he was coming off of a superstar year and wanted to snub the Sox, but he hit a tad over .200 last year. Hell, you'd hurt the team more by sticking around. LaRoche handled this very poorly any way you slice it.

Only problem I had with Williams was that Sale made it sound like he laid the complaints on everyone else in the clubhouse. If Williams told LaRoche he agreed that the changes needed to be made, then the Whitesox handled the situation correctly.

I also don't understand why the hell you would want to be around your kid 24/7. I can only imagine that kid got too complacent and annoyed several of LaRoche's teammates.

^^ he's made enough in his career to not have to worry about finances, if he's smart with his money; I actually applaud him for walking away from the money and choosing his son over it essentially

^^ he's made enough in his career to not have to worry about finances, if he's smart with his money; I actually applaud him for walking away from the money and choosing his son over it essentially

i dunno man, grown men go to work and kids should go to school. not this shit. its not like he was being sent to the middle east for a year. hell have plenty of time to "home school" his kid now, which im pretty sure they consider hunting to be schooling in that family

The point about the kid not being in school isn't really that great of a point. The kid was home schooled and it's been done in the winter months. Even if he were going to a normal school, he wouldn't be in school for at least half of the baseball season, which takes place in the summer.

i dunno man, grown men go to work and kids should go to school. not this shit. its not like he was being sent to the middle east for a year. hell have plenty of time to "home school" his kid now, which im pretty sure they consider hunting to be schooling in that family
i'm not sure I get your point? Are you saying he's dumb for walking away from 13 million...he's made more than $50 Million, don't think money is an issue unless he has a spending problem or a family constantly asking for hand outs? Don't even think he's going to be able to spend all that in his life time

Maybe he was having his son home schooled while on the road? I don't know all the details, but stereotyping him doesn't make sense either.

Why do smokers @ corporate offices get more breaks than those who don't smoke?

The thing about Laroche is everyone seems to be making a big deal out of it except for him. Maybe I missed it but I don't think he complained, argued or tried to talk shit about the Sox nationally. He wanted his kid to be in the clubhouse, he was told no and he said "OK then I'm done." I may not have made the same decision but it's really tough to criticize the way he handled the thingq

To add on to Scrute's point, I think the only people who really care about this at all are some in the clubhouse because they look at it and think, "Kenny Williams lied to this guy's face, what's he going to do to me." Which is a legit concern.

But Kenny's not Robin. He's not in your face every day and he's not going to dictate playing time. So once the season starts and they're playing every day, I honestly think this just fades away. LaRoche apparently was a great teammate and I'm sure they'll miss him for that, but pretty much across the board on this team guys either are fighting to get into the lineup and stay there (Garcia, Saladino, JRo) or they just want to win (Sale, Quintana, Abreu).

the oddest part of it all to me is Chris Sale losing his mind over what he called a team mascot, no wonder that team sucks

Back