Accenture Match-Play Championship...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Tiger Woods makes his second official PGA Tour appearance this week, and it's in what some consider to be the world's most exciting golf tournament. There will be 64 of the world's best golfers teeing it up in the Arizona desert, and unlike in most PGA Tour events, Tiger Woods is no shoo-in to win this week. He has won the Accenture twice, but he's also lost to the likes of Peter O'Malley and Nick O'Hern. Underdog Henrik Stenson won the event last year, defeating Geoff Ogilvy 2-and-1 in 2007 to capture the crown.

Obviously, Woods has to be considered the favorite. But don't be stunned if he loses in the first round. Holmes barely snuck into this field, but this Tucson course generally is kind to bombers off the tee, and J.B. can hit his drive more than 350 yards without wind-aid. He can be a bit wild at times, but that's not nearly as punishing in match-play as it is when every stroke counts. If he hits a few bad shots, he might lose some holes, but he can get some of them back on other holes where he'll out-drive Tiger and have shorter clubs to hit in. Other matchups aren't favorable, either, so let's try to beat Tiger.

In the nine years of the tournament, of the 32 first round matches, there has been an average of 13 upsets. Last year, there were 11. This 33 percent upset-ratio holds true throughout the entire week, so always look for the upset, as they will happen.

Here are three picks to win the whole thing:

Geoff Ogilvy (60-to-1) is the first one you have to take a long look at. He finished second in this event last year, and won it the year before. At 11-1 lifetime in this event, you have to take a long look at him at this price.

Padraig Harrington (20-to-1) has won his first match in each of the last five years, and has made it to the quarterfinals in two of the last four years. With the shingles behind him now, and two solid performances on US soil in the books, he has to be considered a threat.

Ian Poulter (60-to-1) is playing in the States for the first time this season. But in four appearances, he's made it to the round of 16 (2007), the quarterfinals (2004) and finished fourth-place (2005). Expect him to play well and make some noise.

As an added long shot, look at David Toms (50-to-1), who always is competitive in match-play. He's been to the round of 16 six straight years and has never lost in the first round. He won here in 2005.

Good luck!

I'll be back with some matchup bets in the morning...
:cheers:

Sco: Not sure; I'm a tad disappointed at the turnout this week for the best golf wagering event of the year. All bets are medium unless posted otherwise.

JONES Region

Holmes +360 to beat Tiger. Explained above. Price is too high and I give Holmes about a 40 percent shot here. Medium bet.

Toms -112 vs. Zach Johnson. See above. Toms just doesn't lose early matches here. Johnson has been a first round exit in 2 of his 3 outings here. Big bet.

Baddeley -156 vs. Calcavecchia. Calc ain't won a single match in this event since 2002; Badds got to the round of 16 last year in his initial foray at the Accenture. Should be closer to -200, so lay it here.

Poulter -137 vs Hansen. I like Poulter to possibly win this whole thing; this is Hansen's first-ever Accenture, and rookies did not do well here last year.

Villegas +146 vs. Choi. This is Villegas's first Accenture, but Choi has won a total of two matches in five years here. I give Cammy a 50-50 shot here or better. Great value.

PLAYER Region

Phil -242 vs. Perez. Mick has only lost twice in the first round in eight outings here. Perez has never played in this event. Lay it.

Snedeker +119 vs. Westwood. Brant has never played here, but there is value on him, considering the European has played in this event seven times and has won a total of three matches.

Ogilvy +104 vs. Leonard. This line makes no sense to me. Ogilvy, as I said above, is 11-1 in this event. Leonard is a habitual underachiever, having not won a single match in this event since 2003 and never getting past the round of 16 in eight tries. Big bet on the defending runner-up.

Fasth -143 vs. Green. Fasth won two matches last year to get to the round of 16 - that's two more than Green has ever won in his three years here.

O'Hern +119 vs. Verplank. What am I missing here? Verplank has won a total of four matches in eight years here, never getting past the second round. O'Hern has played in this event four times, never losing in the first round, beating Tiger in it twice, and making the quarters three times. Big bet.

SNEAD Region

Chopra +151 vs. Stricker. Chopra has already won this season, and although it's his first time in the event, he could be dangerous cause he hits it a ton. Stricker won this event in 2001, but has won a total of one match in his other four outings.

HOGAN Region

Byrd +182 vs. Els. Byrd making his first appearance here, but not even sure why Ernie bothered to lace 'em up this week - he's lost his last four matches in this event dating back to 2002 and got beat in each of the last two years in round one.

Immelman -146 vs. Shingo. Trevor finished third here last year on this course, proving he likes the course and the format. Shingo has been to the round of 16 once in his six prior efforts here, losing in the first round in each of the other five times. Big bet.

Weekley +108 vs. Kaymer. Taking "Boo" in the battle of match-play rookies. Remember, Boo hits it a ton and that will be magnified out here in Tucson, which might intimidate Kaymer. It's 50-50 at worst, so taking plus-money is the way to go.

That's it for today. GL peeps...

Rex looks like we only have one similar match, and are on the same side! Leonard is hot this year, but I agree Ogilvy's line appears to be off. I just hope with such a known name, this Ogilvy bet is not a trap. But, I really think it is just recent success.

goodluck today bro, lets find some winners in round 2 tonight!

Can't ask for a better start from your boy JB. I have been waiting for this guy to turn the corner for a long time and start reaching his potential. His all around game is pretty solid if he can figure out that putter. Long way to go but had to take a shot at JB +350 so good luck to us.

Ended up 9-5 yesterday. Assume that all small bets are 1 unit, unlisted/medium (most) bets are 2 units, and big bets are 4 units... and it adds up to 12.18 units to the good.

Second round plays... lots of bets again, but only one big one today.

Toms -104 vs. Baddeley. David has won at least two matches in this event in each of the last six years. And now he's an underdog against Badds? I'll bite.

Poulter +120 vs. Choi. Well, lost betting against KJ yesterday but I've got a little better candidate (my pick to win the whole thing) going against him today. Let's see if Ian can get hot this week.

O'Hern -126 vs. Pampling. This guy is now 11-5 at the Matchplay and his own quote says it all - "When I get the lead, generally, I don't let go of it". Wins this Aussie matchup.

Fasth +109 vs. Vijay. Niclas ran roughshod over Green yesterday and if he gets on a roll he can be very tough. Wrong guy favored here. Big bet.

Mahan +121 vs. Stricker. Mahan made five birdies in a nine-hole stretch yesterday, and his length and talent should be an asset today.

Paddy -131 vs. Cink. My "other" pick to win it all said he was "a little rusty" after birdieing seven of 15 holes Wednesday. What happens if he gets hot? Revenge here for Paddy as well, as he lost in 20 holes to Cink last year in this spot.

Romero +105 over Byrd. Romero doesn't play much in the States, but he's been in contention in the past two British Opens, and his style suits this event. Byrd played well, but Els isn't near 100 percent at this point and I see the Argentine with better than a 50 percent chance of winning.

Immelman +130 vs. Stenson. Trevor finished third here last year on this course, proving he likes the course and the format - he lost to Stenson in the semis, 3-and-2, so he's got the revenge (and don't tell me it doesn't matter in golf, that's bullshit).... and he's finally healthy after a lot of injuries and illnesses last year, proving that by shooting 5-under on the front yesterday.

Woody +152 vs. Scott. Youthful talent against the steady veteran. Woody generally gets into grooves that last 2-3 rounds; he was dominant yesterday and I expect another solid effort today. Plenty of value.

Weekley +117 vs. Sergio. I put my chances at 50-50 here at worst, as Sergio is really having issues with the putter (he used both the short stick and a belly putter yesterday), while Weekley hits it a ton and should be a fan favorite.

GL!

whoo Rex, Poulter knocks down a huge putt to extend that match.

I have a future on Choi, but good golf..... going to extra holes now.

Someone clean up the carnage.

Toms withdraws - thankfully he did it before teeing off.

Poulter works his ass off to get into ot, then blows a 4-footer on the first hole. O'Hern was non-competitive. Fasth loses the 18th to lose to Vijay. Stricker bombs one in on the 20th to beat Mahan. Paddy and Romero were never competitive. And Immelman had an eagle putt on the 25th hole and three-whacks to lose to Stenson, who drove into a fucking bunker. What a debacle.

It adds up to 2-7-1 and a loss of 10.76 from Wednesday's profits. Back to the grindstone...

Baddeley +326 vs. Tiger. I realize Baddeley has struggled against Tiger when the two have been paired together (twice in majors recently) but everyone knows match-play is a different sort of golf. Tiger has four losses in this event to international players (27-6 overall), with three of the losses coming to Aussies. At this price, with Badds's putting ability, getting a day off from the mental grind yesterday and only playing 16 holes the day before I'll side with him.

Choi -105 vs. Casey. Sure, Casey has played more desert golf but he just happened to catch Dredge on a bad day yesterday, and only had two birdies (I believe)... meanwhile, Choi did everything in his power to hand his match to Poulter, but still prevailed. That should have been his demise as well, but since he's still alive, I look for him to play much better today.

Appleby -115 vs. Leonard. This should be a competitive match, but Stuart has traditionally played well in this event (only player to be in all 10 of them), and won a hard-fought match vs. Phil yesterday that should propel him into today's round. Can he go low again today (nine birdies yesterday)?

Pampling +117 vs. Vijay. Small bet here on the value of the guy who is playing better right now. 1 unit.

Was hoping for more value with Cabrera than +117 against Stricker, but passing that one, as that's pretty close to what I made the true odds.

Cink -132 vs. Montgomerie. It's imperative for Monty to do well in this event so he can climb into the top-50 in the world rankings and qualify for the Masters... but that's easier said than done against Cink, who owns Paddy and owns Monty. He's beaten the European twice in Ryder Cup match-play and also once in this tournament. The American has yet to have to work hard in this event, while Monty has had to grind out a couple of wins. Playing this one for 3 units instead of the usual 2.

Stenson -126 vs. Byrd. Tremendous value here on the defending champion. Sure, detractors will say that Byrd has only played 27 holes in two days, while Stenson had to go 25 just to outlast Immelman. Still, it's a very cheap price for a guy who has proven to be a tough out in this competition. Lay it.

No interest in betting Woody and Boo; they were my only winners yesterday so I'll watch this one with active interest.

Also betting odds to win (1/2 unit each) on Pampling +2673, Appleby +1705, Woody +2868, and Boo at +2525.

GL!

Guess Woody is carrying the flag for me. Slight loser yesterday when factoring in the odds-to-win plays. Ended 3-3 and up 1.70 units on the matchups. Badds certainly had his chances, Pampling loses in 25, and Appleby just couldn't match his play from Thursday. Oh well; onto today...

Choi +283 vs. Tiger. It's no fun to continue to beat your head against the wall betting against Tiger but I also believe that there is value on Choi today. He has already won on tour this season and might well be the second-best golfer in the world RIGHT NOW.

Woody +140 vs. Stenson. Tough trying to beat a guy who hasn't lost in this event in his last 9 matches, but I'll take a stab at the "everyman's" player in this event to at least get to the afternoon round.

Leonard -110 vs. Vijay. Leonard playing as well as anyone here this week and has made a bunch of birdies. Assuming he continues to carry over his good form here, he's got as good a chance of anyone at winning this whole event. This is for three units, not the regular two.

Cink +110 vs. Cabrera. No doubt that the American will be hitting from behind the Argentine all day, but he's been knocking international players out of this event right and left. Cink hit the range to try and find his rhythm and straighten out his driver. He doesn't hit it as long as Cabrera, but he's seasoned in match play (quarterfinals in 2005 and the third round twice, including last year). Cink has a third place this year, in the Buick Invitational. He can combine finesse with lanky power in his 6-4 frame, while Cabrera often struggles with his short game.

To win: Leonard +1114 for 1/2 unit.

GL!

Back