Abu Dhabi's Purchase of Manchester City

Greencastle

The Doc
This is a huge story that could potentially be one of the biggest sporting takeovers of all time. A lot of details are being kept low, but the company is worth big money and the CEO is said to have 10 times more cash then to next richest owner in England, Chelsea's Roman Abramovich. A few days after re-signing Wright-Phillips and just one day after spending big money to bring in Robinho, the owners are now talking about bringing in around 15 more superstar players before the start of next season.

They have a good young manager in Mark Hughes, a nice stadium with a huge fan base and now finally an owner that is ready and willing to spend some serious cash.

There could be some real big things going on at Man City in the near future.

Absolutely. I just heard that Premier League clubs reportedly spent around EUR.620mil this summer. :36_19_2:

I don't like this take over one bit....so the only way to win is to spend cash?

Like I said before, this totally jeopardizes England's youth system and their chance for any chance at a World Cup....Question is do they really care?

I think the FA could give a rats ass about the National squad and focus on generating as much income as they can themselves.

You are going to see a lot of players being overpriced then their original worth and it seems Man Citeh want to be the big boys this time around.

15 players......so that means the only players IMO that will have a job next season that is in the current squad are....

Robinho
Jo
Petrov
Elano
Richards
SWP

The rest of the players....better ask your Agent to find you a new team.

I hope they become like Real Madrid, build a group of stars with egos and some how screw up in the CL...that's if you get there

oh and Greeny you know what will piss me off.....if I see random idiots in Toronto start wearing Man City jerseys....

15 players......so that means the only players IMO that will have a job next season that is in the current squad are....

Robinho
Jo
Petrov
Elano
Richards
SWP

The rest of the players....better ask your Agent to find you a new team.

they'll probably keep some of their good young talent like Hart, Ireland and Johnson as well.

but it's pretty safe to say that players like Darius Vassell and Tal Ben Haim better start looking for new clubs.

the thing if they keep Hart, Ireland and Johnson that makes 9 players so 15 new players....I can only assume the group wants ALL STARS so you are going to soon see a few unhappy players, lets see what Hughes can do

I´m sure you guys wouldn´t feel that way if you were City fans. These people have been suffering for decades under the shadow of ManU. I doubt they will care much about Vassel´s future.

I´m sure you guys wouldn´t feel that way if you were City fans. These people have been suffering for decades under the shadow of ManU. I doubt they will care much about Vassel´s future.

Panos, I'm not one that would want to go out and spend and spend. I'm absolutely delighted as a Villa fan that Martin O'Neill has given the local talent a chance to shine. He has used a top notch Youth Academy to his benefit already.

Watch the City fans will now become demanding pricks. Look at what happened to Newcastle, they had long been the front runners in spending but when they achieved very little from it, chaos began to brew. This is arguably the begining of the end for Citeh.

This is a "double edge sword"

In a way if something like this would've happened to my club I would in heaven.. But in an another way of looking at this is that the English players are going to get even worse and make their NT go to shits...

This guy is going to throw around TONS of $$$$

Panos, I'm not one that would want to go out and spend and spend. I'm absolutely delighted as a Villa fan that Martin O'Neill has given the local talent a chance to shine. He has used a top notch Youth Academy to his benefit already.

Watch the City fans will now become demanding pricks. Look at what happened to Newcastle, they had long been the front runners in spending but when they achieved very little from it, chaos began to brew. This is arguably the begining of the end for Citeh.

Then, good for you, Mike, for embracing the long and hard way to success. In today´s world where everyone´s looking for results asap, I think it is only natural for fans to get excited when a big spender comes around. I do not see these Arabs hang around too much anyway, so I´d say let City fans enjoy it while it lasts.

As regard to the National Squad, I´d say if the FA does not care, why should you or I give a dime? We are not even English! Premier League has apparently become such a huge 'product' internationally that obviously FA can not or does not want to intervene.

I think similar situation goes for most western European countries. Even in the much inferior Greek Super League, there is one team (Aris Salonica) which this season will not have a single Greek player in the starting eleven! Not even one! Will the Greek Federation do something about it? I'm not sure , but I wouldn´t put my money on it.:shake:

I agree Panos that these Arabs won't be in for the long haul. Considering they are already trying to make ridiculous bids for Kaka and Ronaldo you know that something isn't right. I feel sorry for Mark Hughes, he wanted money he's got it, but now he's got less than two seasons to prove his worth or else....he gets the axe.

If we look at a National standard, look at the past WC and Euro Champions...both from the big leagues Italy and Spain. They have superstars yes...but majority of them play in their own league!

I've been hearing a lot about Aris, who owns that team?

Back