A Rod

<header id="yui_3_9_1_1_1389460879861_290" class="header">[h=1]Arbitrator rules Alex Rodriguez should be suspended for 2014 season for PED use[/h]</header> <cite class="byline vcard top-line">By Tim Brown <abbr>34 minutes ago</abbr> </cite>Yahoo Sports

<figure id="yui_3_9_1_1_1389460879861_1522" class=" cover

get-lbdata-from-dom
go-to-slideshow-lightbox
" data-id="a423d345-f85a-3724-ae92-86a96a1a1c17">

.View gallery

</figure>Alex Rodriguez could still fight the arbitrator's decision through a federal injunction. (AP)

<!-- google_ad_section_start --><meta content="2014-01-11T16:46:36Z" itemprop="datePublished"><meta content="Arbitrator rules Alex Rodriguez should be suspended for 2014 season for PED use" itemprop="headline"><meta content="" itemprop="alternativeHeadline"><meta content="http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201311201350498406977" itemprop="image"><meta content="The Yankees star would miss 162 games, plus the playoffs, but could still fight the decision through a federal injunction." itemprop="description">Three-time MVP Alex Rodriguez should be suspended for the 2014 season – 162 games plus any postseason games – for violating Major League Baseball rules against using and acquiring performance-enhancing drugs, an independent arbitrator ruled Saturday. The suspension is without pay and therefore will cost Rodriguez about $25 million in salary.
MLB had suspended Rodriguez for 211 games, but the steep penalty represents a clear victory for the league and its case against Rodriguez.
Rodriguez, by far the most accomplished player to be disciplined under MLB's drug guidelines, could challenge the ruling through a federal injunction. If granted, the injunction could allow Rodriguez to play for the New York Yankees – spring training opens next month – while his case is considered.
In a statement released Saturday morning, before MLB announced the decision by an independent arbitrator, Rodriguez said, "I will take this fight to federal court."
Rodriguez, 38, has received the two largest contracts in major-league history. Over a 20-year career, he stands fifth on the all-time home runs list, with 654, behind only Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth and Willie Mays. In 2009, Rodriguez admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs early in his career after a report surfaced he'd tested positive for two banned substances during 2003 league survey testing. He has claimed to be clean since, and during his recent appeal accused MLB commissioner Bud Selig of conducting a "witch hunt" against him.
MLB countered, saying its investigation revealed Rodriguez's use of banned PEDs "was longer and more pervasive than any other player," and that Rodriguez's career was "tarnished" after engaging in "ongoing, gross misconduct."
<figure id="yui_3_9_1_1_1389460879861_265" class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="0">View gallery
miami-v-florida-state-20131103-001816-319.jpg
</figure>If he serves the suspension, Rodriguez could be trying to resume his career at age 40. (Getty Images)

For those reasons, MLB sought a ban greater than the typical penalty for a first-time offender of its Joint Drug Program, that being 50 games. Rodriguez's attorneys have said Rodriguez should not serve a single inning of a suspension.Fredric Horowitz deliberated for seven weeks following the conclusion of hearings in which MLB accused Rodriguez of using drugs such as testosterone and human growth hormone and then attempting to obstruct MLB's investigation. Rodriguez did not testify in the hearings, which witnesses described as often loud and rancorous. Near the end, Rodriguez stormed from a hearing in protest of Horowitz's decision not to require Selig to testify.
"The absurdity and injustice just became too much," Rodriguez said at the time.
MLB suspended Rodriguez and 13 others, including former All-Stars Ryan Braun and Nelson Cruz, last summer after the league's months-long investigation into Biogenesis of America, a South Florida wellness clinic, and its founder, Tony Bosch. The league suspended 12 players for 50 games each. Braun, who had previously tested positive but successfully appealed on a technicality, was suspended 65 games.
MLB hit Rodriguez the hardest, at 211 games, the longest non-lifetime ban in league history. Of the Biogenesis 14, only Rodriguez appealed. He then sued MLB, alleging the league and Selig "engaged in tortious and egregious conduct with one and only one goal … to destroy the reputation and career of Alex Rodriguez." He also accused MLB of unscrupulous – and at times illegal – conduct during its investigation. And, Rodriguez filed a medical malpractice suit against the New York Yankees team doctor and a New York hospital over their treatment of his hip injury.
The crux of MLB’s case was Rodriguez's alleged relationship with Bosch, the proprietor of a wellness clinic that allegedly supplied numerous substances to professional athletes. Bosch, who is currently under federal investigation for potential illegal activities as they relate to Biogenesis, turned and became the league's key witness against Rodriguez.
Rodriguez would be eligible to return for the 2015 season. He will be 40 in July of that season and will have played 44 major-league games since the end of 2012. Rodriguez would not be allowed to play in Japan or Korea, either. He is under contract with the Yankees through 2017, and would earn another $54 million in salary were he to return and play out the contract. He also would be due another $6 million each for surpassing 660 home runs (Mays), 714 home runs (Ruth), 755 home runs (Aaron) and 762 home runs (Bonds).
Rodriguez has made no suggestion he might retire in the face of a lengthy suspension.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

This bum's about done anyway. What team's going to want a rusty, crappy 39-year-old A-Rod around to fuck up the clubhouse chemistry?

Yanks will pay him to go away. He can join all the old Browns coaches on Go Away Island.

what is worse, being a multiple offender of peds or gambling on your own team as a coach?

If you're caught, you're caught, no gray area on either. Gambling on your own team, as a manager, gets no pass. Human nature says you probably manage differently in games you bet on your own team. Not gambling on your own team on a particular day, after you already bet on them in previous games, raises underworld eyebrows. It is a passive bet against your own team. Dirty, bannable business.

Couldn't agree more here Tip. One thing MLB has done right is kept Rose out of the hall. No fucking chance he should ever get in.

As an O's fan I' was hoping they'd let ARod play.

This could have all been avoided if Hank Steinbrenner hadn't signed him to that ridiculous extension...

As I picture the Yanks' thinking in my mind, it's only money. Here's to the sharp declines of Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't agree more here Tip. One thing MLB has done right is kept Rose out of the hall. No fucking chance he should ever get in.

As an O's fan I' was hoping they'd let ARod play.

I do like Pete's furniture commercials.

[h=1]A-Rod statement on suspension[/h]January, 11, 2014Jan 11
11:50
AM ET

<cite class="byline">By Andrew Marchand | ESPNNewYork.com</cite>

Here is Alex Rodriguez's statement on his 162-game ban.

“The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one. This is one man’s decision, that was not put before a fair and impartial jury, does not involve me having failed a single drug test, is at odds with the facts and is inconsistent with the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and the Basic Agreement, and relies on testimony and documents that would never have been allowed in any court in the United States because they are false and wholly unreliable. This injustice is MLB’s first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round, instituting lifetime bans for single violations of drug policy, and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review.

I have been clear that I did not use performance enhancing substances as alleged in the notice of discipline, or violate the Basic Agreement or the Joint Drug Agreement in any manner, and in order to prove it Iwill take this fight to federal court. I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record, the hearsay testimony of a criminal whose own records demonstrate that he dealt drugs to minors, and the lack of credible evidence put forth by MLB, that the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension. No player should have to go through what I have been dealing with, and I am exhausting all options to ensure not only that I get justice, but that players’ contracts and rights are protected through the next round of bargaining, and that the MLB investigation and arbitration process cannot be used against others in the future the way it is currently being used to unjustly punish me.

I will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal of winning another championship. I want to sincerely thank my family, all of my friends, and of course the fans and many of my fellow MLB players for the incredible support I received throughout this entire ordeal."

What a pussy. Well written by his lawyers though. He and the Yanks can suck each other dry in court while we watch.

He will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal ... Blah, blah, blah.

He'll never play in another MLB game.

question:
were any of those guys actually convicted of PEDs? Like Sosa, Palmeiro, McGuire, etc.
Or has it just been pressure?

If he takes this to federal court.This mean he can play next season while case is being done ?

From an article in todays New York Times......

Rodriguez and his team of legal advisers said they would try to appeal Horowitz’s decision in the courts, or at least to delay Saturday’s ruling through an injunction. They could press that effort through a lawsuit they have already filed against both baseball and Selig, a suit that claims that Rodriguez was the target of a “witch hunt.” His advisers could also pursue new litigation.
It is unlikely, however, that a judge would give Rodriguez much relief. Legal experts say it is unusual for a judge to second-guess an arbitrator in a labor dispute — especially in a situation like this, in which the process was agreed upon by the employers and the employees’ union.
“They may be hoping they get an Alex Rodriguez fan, but even then, I’d be surprised if any state court judge would hear his case,” said Steven G. Eckhaus, an employment law expert with the law firm Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft.

Last edited:
I've read it is highly highly unlikely that a federal judge would get involved here.. I'd be shocked if he plays next seasom

MLB is so beyond retarded for letting that 60 minutes episode happen. Arod is going to win in court if the judge stops the arbitrator. There is very little doubt in my mind about that. This is going to get even uglier

I've read it is highly highly unlikely that a federal judge would get involved here.. I'd be shocked if he plays next seasom

Considering that there is no basis on the arbitrators arbitrary suspension, I think a judge will get involved.

Thanks raiders,Im not sure Im any wiser tbh.
This whole saga got a long way to run.....MLB should have had a zero drugs policy and avoided all these bs stories.

MLB looked really bad in that 60 mins piece last night if you ask me. In fact 60 mins looks bad too for giving MLB a platform for airing their case against ARod infomercial. This whole case is nothing more than Selig trying to establish a legacy as the man who took a hard stance against the cheats that ruined baseball. In reality Selig is the commissioner who looked the other way during baseballs steroid glory years.

All you really need to know is that Selig went on 60 minutes but wouldn't talk to the arbitrator. He's trying to just win this in the "court of the public" as has been pointed out by a few posters already. Why wouldn't he go and speak to the arbitrator if he felt that strongly about it? Fuck Bud Selig, he's nothing more than a hypocrite....they all looked the other way and basically encouraged PED use when they wanted fans to come back to their sport.

Thanks raiders,Im not sure Im any wiser tbh.
This whole saga got a long way to run.....MLB should have had a zero drugs policy and avoided all these bs stories.

And therein lies the rub ManUK. Not only did they not have a zero drugs policy, they (MLB) looked the other way and basically encouraged the PED use. They didn't even have *A* drug policy, let alone a zero tolerance one.

except for that little CBA document that both unions signed....

The CBA document that doesn't really allow for A Rod to have been suspended in the first place, yes. And certainly not for as long as he was, since it's all spelled out (suspension lengths) in the CBA document to which you refer.

The CBA document that doesn't really allow for A Rod to have been suspended in the first place, yes. And certainly not for as long as he was, since it's all spelled out (suspension lengths) in the CBA document to which you refer.

seems contradicting? no?

doesn't really allow for A Rod to have been suspended in the first place - please explain why he couldn't be suspended?

seems contradicting? no?

doesn't really allow for A Rod to have been suspended in the first place - please explain why he couldn't be suspended?

Pretty sure he needs to fail a drug test for that to happen. Either way, which is what I said, if he could have been suspended (we can concede the point if you'd like) there is an outline for the length of the suspension...in the CBA. The CBA wasn't followed by either suspending him, the length of it, or possibly both.

Doesn't the commish have discretionary powers in the cba?

I think it is pretty telling that the powerful players union has distanced themselves from arod.

Still doesn't appear likely from what I've read that courts will get involved

Doesn't the commish have discretionary powers in the cba?

I think it is pretty telling that the powerful players union has distanced themselves from arod.

Still doesn't appear likely from what I've read that courts will get involved

He does as far as "the best interests of the game" are concerned, but not with respect to the PED policy and length of suspensions in the CBA. If I'm not mistaken, although it was thought he would, Selig did NOT use the best interests of the game clause (or whatever it should be called) when suspending A Rod.

I am simply stating that saying the arbitrator's decision was "based on the CBA both sides signed," doesn't tell the whole story since MLB didn't want to follow the CBA when suspending A Rod in the first place.

Listen. Both sides are at fault for this mess. Arod BELIEVES in his lies. And if this somehow gets into a real court of law, alex has a very good shot. What MLB did is completely out of line, if what is being reported is in fact true. It sets a bad precedent and it is completely unfair. I dont care if it's a-rod, david ortiz, or whoever... the whole thing is a disgrace and MLB should be ashamed of itself.

I personally think alex has been doping for probably the past 20 years now, but the man has rights and if MLB can get him with a real judge calling the shots it would look a lot better for the league as well

Back