A play bubbling under the surface #3

BetCrimes1984

CTG Big Brother
3rd time's a charm? haven't played either of my previous "bubbling under" plays (1-1 ATS) because the lead-into results didn't go as "required". This is another play that demands a set of lead-in results to set it up.

Houston @ Dallas

On March 6th Houston plays Dallas in Dallas.
- For Houston it will be a B2B game after playing at home the night before. While the travel aspect isn't therefore significant, it will be their first road game following 5 straight home games, and will be subsequently followed by 2 more home games.
- For Dallas it will be their first game after a 2 day break, meaning with the right line this game could fit under the Home Rest vs B2Bs Trend.

Dallas

- is 6-0 SU & ATS their last 6 reg. season contests vs Houston.

- is 8-3-2 ATS this season off a loss and then playing off 1-4 days rest.

- has won 12 straight home games, 10 by at least 7 points.

Houston

- has won 10 straight road games (Yao appearing in all of them).

- is 5-1 SU & 6-0 ATS their last 6 games as a Dog (Yao appearing in all of them).

- has not suffered a 9+ point loss since Dec. 31st 2007 (every other team in the NBA has at least 1 such loss in the New year).

As can be seen, nothwithstanding their current overall 14 game winning streak (which may or may not survive until this fixture), Houston has a number of (other) streaks which either will or may be potentially at risk of ending come this Mavs fixture. And given the Mavs recent, and utter, domination of the Rockets aligned with the scheduling spot (rest vs B2B off a long home stand) and Yao's injury (logic dictates the more the Rockets play sans Yao, the more his absence is going to be seen to impact their results) it's a fair observation that this game has the potential to be Houston's ugliest loss margin wise so far in 2008. But as noted previously, there are some ideal lead-in results....

(1) While it would be nice for Houston to have their current winning streak in tact (which would mean 16 straight wins), thats actually not a prerequisite, since when teams off long winning streaks finally lose, they tend to suffer their next (2nd) loss rather rapidly as well. So even if Houston lost to Denver (playing as I type), such a result wouldnt sink this play. What would sink it would be if Houston then had that "rapid 2nd loss" to Indiana in their very next fixture (in that instance, one could see people pushing and shoving to jump off the Rocks bandwagon and get on the Mavs). At minimum Houston needs to go 1-1 SU (ATS irrelevant, but preferably not 0-2) vs Denver & Indiana (ideal sequence being loss->win, if they must register a loss at all).

(2) Dallas ideally needs to lose SU to Utah (ATS result irrelevant), meaning they would carry a losing streak as well as rest into this contest. This season coming off a loss in a non B2B situation, but without overly extensive rest, Dallas has been pretty formidable ATS. Nothing like an angry Mavs squad at home facing a team they have the wood on even before their best player (Yao) is absent.

BetCrimes, Great stuff.

I'm saying that Utah beats Dallas by about 10 points on Monday night. Houston beats Indiana by about 10 points on Wednesday night. That would set up a TNT war between Houston and Dallas. My prediction would be something like Dallas -4, prompting me to unload on Dallas.

Agree with almost every word, but only one thing I don't agree with, the result in Utah. Dallas are coming after two straight losses to their main play off rivals (Houston without Yao and Hornets will sink a bit a beilieve) and one win over Utah means nothing to them. Dallas must make a strong 5 - 7 winning streak at a minimum if they want to reach the first place in the West. So I don't see Dallas winning in Utah as a factor to the team it self or to the bettors, since Utah isn't public bet as Spurs, Celtics, Lakers and many other teams are.
If the line is 5 or lower, I will be strong on Dallas and if it will be 7 for the Rockets, will wagered a small bet. 9 or higher, will pass...

Best of luck!

I share the same thoughts as you about this game while driving to work this morning. Mavs definitely is the play.

Had Dallas on my mind before the Utah game. So being that Dallas Technically push the spread, This Dallas play is HUGE for me to take down the Hous train. Absolutely perfect. Agree with all your analysis.

any word on dirk?

Haven't seen any.

And just to note, Houston will set a franchise record of 16 straight wins if they beat Indy, so that works on a further 2 levels for this Dallas game. Houston won't need to beat Dallas to set a new record, and will be in an anticlimatic spot against Dallas should they set the record vs Indy. Perfect.

Not interested, Puf. That's not to say Dallas isn't worth something, but once again I was prepared for a big bet, and now I can't place it, I'm not willing to bet anything (less).

FWIW, from this point I hope Houston wins, which would set them up playing Nawlins at home in a 3rd/4 with Nawlins looking for revenge (their recent home loss to HOU came with Yao playing). If HOU win here, that line should be inflated given HOU would be 9-0 ATS since the ASB.

This is for the benefit of brewer....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres what my team sheet for Houston looks like (Nov. thru Jan. - the other side of the sheet is Feb. thru Apr.)

From left to right....
The 4 squared chart to the far left is read as follows...

1st column: a home team win by 9+ pts
2nd column: a home team win by 1-8 pts
3rd column: a road team win by 1-8 pts
4th column: a road win by 9+ points
&
Horizonatally lined squares = a home game for the team whose sheet it is
Blacked in squares = a road game for the team whose sheet it is.
The total results are just to the right of the 4 squared chart, O's obviously Over results, the small u in a square Under results, and pink squares Pushes.
The orange circles with a horizontal line thru indicate a Dog SU winner, the yellow small "on"s indicate a Fav SU winner.
The yellow colored margin results are SU wins for Houston/the team whose sheet it is, non colored margin results are losses.
GIVEs are Fav wins ATS, GETs Dog wins. When such results are colored, it means the team whose sheet it is covered ATS. Non colored ATS results are losses for said same team. Pushes are pink marks.
Mirroring those ATS wins & losses are the red ovals (hollow indicating a home game, full-colored indicating a road game). Ovals to the left indicate a home team win, Ovals to the right indicate a road team win.
Finally the game's total pts, when yellow a SU win for the team whose sheet it is, non-colored a SU loss.
All totals in black are regulation totals - totals in red are the final game total after OT was finished.

From this, it's very easy for me to correlate/cross reference any number of different kinds of results from a game (SU/Total/ATS/margin/venue) with each other to find what patterns I do.

p.s. I print out ESPN schedules before the season starts to use as my base. I do the same for baseball & NFL, but not NHL.

Back