A play bubbling under the surface #1

BetCrimes1984

CTG Big Brother
Philadelphia has just ended a 6 game Western road trip (SAC, POR, SEA, UTH, LAK, DEN) and no sooner do they get their 1st home game in 2 weeks out of the way than they're on the road up to Canada the very next night. Brutal is a word that comes to mind. Here are the results for teams who endured such scheduling (playing at home 1 day off decent length road trips, then away again the very next night) from the last 2 seasons (the time period which the Post Road-Trip ATS Trend Thread stats concerns itself with) ....

Utah
(off a 4 game trip):
November 14/05 vs New York - Lost
November 15/05 @ Houston - Lost (as a +7.5 Dog)

Indiana
(off a 4 game trip):
March 7/06 vs Minnesota - Lost
March 8/06 @ Phoenix - Lost (as a +2.0 Dog)

Atlanta
(off a 5 game trip):
December 12/06 vs Denver - Lost
December 13/06 @ New York - Lost (as a +6.5 Dog)

Phoenix
(off a 5 game trip):
December 15/06 vs Golden St - Lost
December 16/06 @ Sacramento - Won (as a -2.5 Fav)

Chicago
(off a 7 game trip):
February 13/07 vs Toronto - Lost
February 14/07 @ Charlotte - Lost (...SU & ATS as a -3.0 Fav)

Sacramento
(off a 5 game trip):
March 21/07 vs Minnesota - Lost
March 22/07 @ Phoenix - Lost (as a +13.0 Dog)

... and the only team who won ATS in the B2B road spot was a team in the middle of a 15-game win streak who finished 40 games above .500 (61-21) for the reg. season, playing a team who finished 16 games below .500 (33-49), and laying only 1 basket (which is an observation above and beyond the fact no team won both their return home game & B2B road game ATS). While this is only 2 season's worth of results (and I could spend further energy seeking more, but won't) they simply logically make sense - A long road trip ends, a team is finally back home on short rest, and then immediately they're off travelling again. Just brutal.

Teams (from the last 2 seasons and this season thus far) in their 2nd game back off a 4+ game road trip, when that game is a road game, are 50-50 ATS when excluding this particular spot (which, as witnessed by the above figures, sees teams having gone 1-5 ATS). So Philly's spot at Toronto is tough enough as it is (teams doing no better than 50% ATS) without the 1-days-rest-then-immediately-B2B situation being factored in.

Could it be statistically any worse a spot for them?

- Toronto has 2 days rest between their Cleveland loss and their Philly fixture. Which means they come under the umbrella of the Home Rest vs B2Bs Trend Thread. Toronto opened a -7.0 Fav at home to Philly at the beginning of the season, and being 2-6 SU their last 8 games (& 2-8 ATS their last 10 games) there's no reason to suspect they will open anything much higher. And that would put them inside the umbrella of the Pick'em to -7.5 Home Fav range that that trend thread's tracking concerns itself with, ie. that group of Home Favs who are 57-11 SU & 47-19-2 ATS over this season & the last 2 seasons.

- Toronto will enter this game 17-17 SU on the season. When Toronto has played a game with their record sitting at exactly .500 this season, their results have been as follows...

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow><TD><NOBR>Nov 7 Orlando L 96-105............ Lost ATS
Nov 10 @ Chicago W 101-71..... Won ATS
Nov 16 Indiana W 110-101........ Push ATS
Nov 20 @ Dallas L 99-105......... Won ATS
Nov 24 @ Cleveland L 108-111.. Won ATS
Nov 28 Memphis W 103-91....... Won ATS
Dec 9 Houston W 93-80........... Won ATS
</NOBR>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
This is a team that hasn't lost ATS in such a spot since their season was just 5 games old (went from 2-2 to 2-3 with that home loss to ORL).

- Toronto is 5-1 SU & ATS their last 6 games vs Philadelphia, their sole loss coming on the last day of last season in a meaningless fixture for them, as they mentally prepared for the playoffs. They have dominated Philly pretty much ever since A.I. hit the road for Denver.

Since Philly were roughed up a bit the last 2 games of their otherwise successful West coast trip (losses by 31 & 13 pts), for this potential bet on TOR it'd be beneficial if they took care of business at least SU vs Milwaukee in their home game before this fixture. Better they enter this contest satisfied off a win, than hurting from 3 straight losses, with a home fixture vs Chicago on tap for them next. They could then quite easily/simply overlook this contest.

Philly is 0-5 SU & 1-4 ATS vs divisional opponents not called New York, this season.

Last edited:
Ah yes, my favorite system. Was 7-1 last season. the lone loss was Sacramento hosting Phoenix I believe. Betcrimes, this is the only situation like this this season. Very dissapointing. Add in fact that the last leg of trip was in the mile-high air. Helps as well.

Heres my post from when the schedules came out.

<TABLE class=tborder id=post425246 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid">08-02-2007, 07:00 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid" align=right> #8 <INPUT id=plist_425246 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 5px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; PADDING-TOP: 0px" type=checkbox value=0 name=plist[425246] inlineModID="inlineMod"> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 0px solid" width=175>B.A.R.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_425246", true); </SCRIPT>
CTG Partner

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_425246 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->
icon1.gif

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Here is the first big NBA play this season

Milwaukee ATS @ Philly on January 8th
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
:tiphat:
<!-- / sig --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid">
user_invisible.gif
</TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->
progress.gif
<!-- / controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- post 425246 popup menu -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>B.A.R.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>View Public Profile</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Send a private message to B.A.R.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Visit B.A.R.'s homepage!</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Find More Posts by B.A.R.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Add B.A.R. to Your Buddy List</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- / post 425246 popup menu -->

Excellent thread. I have followed both "stickied" threads close this year and done well. Lets hope you are right on the Toronto line. Thanks for the heads up.

This line should pop out right before I have to leave tonight...everyone keep this hush-hush ;)

This line should pop out right before I have to leave tonight...everyone keep this hush-hush ;)

Actually like the game at Tor a bit more than the game vs. MLW for a max bet myself. The fact that MLW has won 2 straight games on the road should hurt some of the value on the line and expecting them to win 3 games in a row on the road has me weary as they've only won 4 on the road all year.

you know philly -> toronto is about a 6 hour drive, yes?

It has nothing to do with the distance. The fact that they get home for one day and have to pack clothes again to leave following the game that is the physcoligical part that makes this scenario so difficult. Think about it for a second. They probably got back to their houses about 6am this morning(Monday). They'll have a light practice this afternoon most likely. Go home and sleep in their beds for the first time since Christmas night. Wake up following day and pack bags for Toronto. The fact that they'll only be home for one night is the brutal part. Hard to be ready to play either of those games as their lives must be a living hell.

you make some good points, i don't know about their lives being a living hell though.

I'm only trying to help here. It's quite obvious that their lives aren't really a living hell to normal folk but for pampered athletes this is their version of living hell.

OK, so the Raptor mania-Fade Philly is soaring high. Toronto basically opens -8.5, though someone said it opened -7.5, but for like a minute. Line is now at -9. I was hoping for a Philly win over Milky, though we all cashed the +6.

Anyway, I don't like this line, and Philly has been respectable off b2b's - yet Toronto has done well on 2 days rest.

I'm actually thinking of going with Philly tonight. Thoughts?

I think your nuts if you go Philly....ya, you might win/cover, but a team in that situation hasn't covered in over 2 years......why would you fade that?

OK, so the Raptor mania-Fade Philly is soaring high. Toronto basically opens -8.5, though someone said it opened -7.5, but for like a minute. Line is now at -9. I was hoping for a Philly win over Milky, though we all cashed the +6.

Anyway, I don't like this line, and Philly has been respectable off b2b's - yet Toronto has done well on 2 days rest.

I'm actually thinking of going with Philly tonight. Thoughts?

I think u r in the right thread man :smiley_acbe: GL

I think that that line is too big to take..... 8.5 is a big cover for Toronto v Philly... I will leave this one alone...

GL to all that are taking it though

BC, you're laying 9, making it a play?

Satyr - if Philly had beaten MIL, I'd lay 10.5 if necessary. The line doesnt bother me, Philly having lost SU last night does (if they'd simply lost ATS, and not SU, again I wouldnt care). They havent lost 5 straight all season, and that performance against a shit MIL side was their energyless goose egg laid off their road trip. I was expecting that energyless goose egg to come tonight. Since it's already been laid, theres no guarantee they'll lay another one. I'm no longer interested.

(btw, I didnt even see you had a thread prior to making this post).

Another intesting angle with Toronto is that they've won 8 games at home this year. Every single one of those eight victories was by 9+ points.

Phillie 6-1 ats on the road b-b and 12-3 ats on the road b-b last 15. Going in to yesterdays game they had won 1 quarter in their last 3 games. They won the last 2 quarters last night. The ice is melting.

smo1a - I was prepared for a huge bet in this spot. The moment Philly lost to MIL I wasn't prepared to stake smaller, because I'd primed myself for such a large bet, so I staked nothing. Congrats.

Thanks for pointing out the valuable info BC. :shake: Even if you didn't take the play, there are others that did. :cheers: thanks

took it anyway, Im glad I was persuaded to take this one, good work guys!!!

when is the next play like this ?

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Betcrimes ..thank u always enjoy your insight man..:36_22_11:
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks, guys.

when is the next play like this ?

Lets just hope Toronto loses their next game SU, to move to 18-18 on the season, because they surely kill it when faced with their record dipping under .500 (now 6-1-1 ATS when playing off exactly .500)

Back