A laughable team wins O/U wager

lindetrain

Pretty much a regular
South Carolina OVER 7 regular season wins (-120)
South Carolina UNDER 7 regular season wins (-110)

Let's review South Carolina's schedule:

UL Lafayette
@ Georgia
SC State
@ LSU
Mississippi State
Kentucky
@ North Carolina
Vanderbilt
@ Tennessee
@ Arkansas
Florida
Clemson

So let me get this straight - this team has to lose 6 games for me to lose this wager?

For them to put this at 7, That means they are assuming SC loses @ Georgia, @ LSU, @ Tennessee, @ Arkansas, and to Florida at home.

Of those 5 games, I see South Carolina losing 3 of them. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I really like their team this year - and I think they can beat either Georgia, Tennessee, or Arkansas on the road and beat Florida at home. I just don't understand how this isn't atleast 7.5.

None of their probable wins really are even threatening to me. UL Lafayette, SC State, Mississippi State, @ North Carolina, and Vanderbilt all look like sure wins to me. I'm pretty confident they take care of both Kentucky and Clemson as well.

Someone please explain this to me? This looks like the worst team wins O/U wager I've seen yet, by a large margin. ESPECIALLY at only -120 juice for the over.

The Greek.

I don't know how to get money on to bet this...I would love to drop $100 or so on it (pretty large for me), but I don't know how...

Lindetrain....

I saw it last night.. I dropped on the floor.. Easiest bet I will make this yr. We WILL NOT go 7-5

Let's review South Carolina's schedule:

UL Lafayette
@ Georgia
SC State
@ LSU
Mississippi State
Kentucky
@ North Carolina
Vanderbilt
@ Tennessee
@ Arkansas
Florida
Clemson

I am 85% sure we win every game in BOLD... That is 7 right there.

thats only 7 though?

thats 7 that we win... I have us pegged at 9-3.. I think the WORST you can do is PUSH on this bet and in that case it would go down as a bad season for Carolina. Expectations are not for 7-5 by any means.

brutal schedule uyou push at best watchout for kentucky and clemson

Brutal schedule, yes.. But I have to disagree here. Push at worse.

Out of the 5 games not listed in bold....

UGA and LSU are the only two teams I see being better than last yr.

Is Arky better or worse this yr? my opinion is worse
Is Tenn better or worse this yr? my opinion is worse
Is UF better or worse this yr? my opinon is worse

I don't want to get ahead of myself and ruffle some feathers but I think SC can be 7-1 when they go to Tenn, the lone loss @ LSU. The UGA game is a HUGE game but we got a legit shot at an upset here because our front 7 is going to be very strong while their OL will have to gel and won't be as good as they will be at the end of the yr.

Agreed here...the schedule is tough, but 5-6 losses tough? I don't think so.

Spurrier has won @ Tennessee, @ Clemson, and vs. Florida already at SC. He nearly won @ Florida last year as well. How can you say he (and this team) isn't capable of pulling a road upset or two this year?

Kentucky NEVER beats Spurrier - I don't think they ever have actually. Clemson lost to them at home last year, is a far weaker team this year, and to top it all off, it's a complete coaching mismatch...

IMO

UL Lafayette
@ Georgia NO CHANCE
SC State
@ LSU NO CHANCE
Mississippi State
Kentucky
@ North Carolina
Vanderbilt
@ Tennessee NO CHANCE
@ Arkansas NO CHANCE
Florida NO CHANCE
Clemson

I see at best 7 wins here

YesSir, I will have to disagree here. How can you give this team no chance? Really I don't understand. The only game I give us NO CHANCE is @ LSU.

there best chance of those 5 games should either be florida or georgia, and more likely florida cause they get that one at home......going to arkansas, tennessee and georgia and LSU are 4 of the toughest 7 road games in the country.....

Alright, I know the road schedule is tough but let me explain why I think this team can win 9+ games. I know I am in the minority here and I don't mind it 1 bit. As far as this O/U goes, they are not going 6-6 so the worst you can do is push which won't happen either.

QB: 3rd yr, can't play any worse and will be better.
WR: Lost Rice, Yes. However there is a ton of talent at this position. 1 guy won't replace them, a host of guys will.
RB: Yr Older, Yr stronger. 1-2 punch will be very good with Boyd/Davis.
OL: Biggest loss was at Center. Yes they have to replace "3guys" but it isn't actually 3 guys, its more like 1. SC mixed and matched its OL all yr and if I can quote the OL coach "there is far more talent this yr"
DL: Maybe the deepest position on the field for the Cocks. We lost our best DL last yr in the 2nd wk to injury, he is back and rehabbed. They will rotate 8-10 guys here in the game that all can play.
LB: We have probably the best MLB in the conference and one of the top corps in the nation here. Also very deep and welcome back 3rd leading tackler from 05' who missed 06' due to academics.
DB: Yes Fred Bennett is gone but he won't be missed that badly. In comes JUCO Sam Pope and 3 guys who all played CB for us last yr while he was injured on the sidelines. Also want to note that SC's best DB will be back this yr after missing the whole 06' season. Brandon Issac, Scouts said last yr he had more talent than Bennett who is now in the league
Special Teams: Succop has to be one of the top kickers in football.

I mean that is a quick rundown of the team. You can make a legit arguement that they are stronger as a unit at every position going into 07' than they were when they finished 06'.

Syvelle will be missed because of the intangibles he brought but he was playing saftey at the end of the yr, remember that. Rice will be missed but there is talent to replace him. Chris White at center will be missed as well but that is it.

I mean giving this team no chance vs. the likes of UGA, Arky, Tenn, Flor is fine because when you hammer the line I will take SC+points. I am actually rooting for UGA wk1 vs. Ok St so I can get SC +7.5 or more and ML shot.

Everything- I am not going to "hammer" the line BUT would you take South Carolina as a PK in any of those 5 games?

I am considering taking them SU vs. UGA. While it won't be the same sized bet as the +7 points or whatever they get, I am taking my shot on the ML. SC has a legit shot at beating them and that game is so important for the season that its worth the +300 or whatever it will be. I would also take them SU vs. Arky. Yes they got two great RB's but they also lost a lot and they will regress this yr.

Lets say they beat Florida or maybe an LSU. I dont see them beating UF though for the fact that game will probably mean more as far as SEC standings to Florida....But if they beat on of the 5 teams I mentioned.... They still must win the rest of their games. It is not like the other 7 opponents are just scrub teams. They will be playing Clemson in the last game and they also have Kentucky. Yes, they are by no means powerhouses BUT they will be tough games. Also, UNC should be improved and they have to travel there.:shake:

I give them very little shot at beating LSU in LSU. They don't lose games there, simple as that.

If they win the UGA game, more than likely they will be 7-1 heading to Tennessee. Thats how I felt in January, thats how I feel today in July.

OK in your opinion you think they can beat those two teams. Do you think they will beat both? Or just one? Because those other 3 games I mentioned are not going to be easy wins

I give them very little shot at beating LSU in LSU. They don't lose games there, simple as that.

If they win the UGA game, more than likely they will be 7-1 heading to Tennessee. Thats how I felt in January, thats how I feel today in July.

Even if they are 7-1, there is a good chance that they lose the next 4...right or wrong?

I think we go 9-3, 10-2 would be a great season.

LSU is a loss, you can write it in right now. The UGA game, I mean I can't say it enough, is HUGE. If they win that game they are not losing in the middle of the schedule to the likes of Kentucky, Vandy, Miss St, NC. That puts them 7-1 @ Tennessee. I think they will beat Arky and Clemson. There is 9-3 saying they lost to Tenn and Flor. A 10-2 yr would be great.

These are not garnet and black glasses, this team has talent and a legit shot at opening some eyes.

Obviously, we disagree and will have to just see what happens...

I just would not want to lock up a good ammount of money(Lind said it was for him), for that long if I do not see 8 "sure" wins...On this schedule I see 4 sure wins, 3 probable wins and 1 outside chance...

I know there is no guarantees but I think there is better value for season totals out there(especially when the Fall comes around)

I look forward to discuss each on of these games in more depth as they approach...:shake:

Yes while it is good to debate, I am actually tired of defending SC as this is not the first time or the first website I have had to do it in the offseason. I look at them very much like Arky last yr who came out of no where and ends up in the SEC West title game. You looked at Steele's magazine 10times trying to figure out how he had them at #13 or whatever. SC is very much in the same position.

As far as O/U's out there. I can in my mind say I am 100% sure the absolute worst you can do is PUSH on that bet. There is just no way they go 6-6.

I say take SC over 7 wins and then hedge your bet by laying some money on Spurrier having a heart attack (which is likely to happen if he goes 6-6 this year).

lol papare

I think they get 7 minimum and have a great chance at 8-9 if this team plays to its expectations.

I'm going to go ahead and just try to pretend I'm not seeing everyone write them off against Arkansas.

Arkansas is not going to be the same team this year - you can expect that much. I think SC is going to be better than them for sure...I know they return McFadden/Jones/Monk, but their QB, OL, and defense in general doesn't overwhelm me. To win this bet, that is one of the games I'm expecting them to win...

I had SC Under 7 wins last year, which pushed. It's hard to imagine them not even improving in record this season. I think they have a chance to win every game on the schedule outside of LSU

UL Lafayette 100%
@ Georgia 30%
SC State 100%
@ LSU 5%
Mississippi State 85%
Kentucky 75%
@ North Carolina 80%
Vanderbilt 80%
@ Tennessee 30%
@ Arkansas 45%
Florida 60%
Clemson 75%

I think they have a great shot at the over. I can easily see them beating Florida and Arkansas

I'm saying, I don't really feel like getting into the game by game breakdown. Seems that me, linde and now RMS are in the minority here, I don't mind.

If you don't mind having money tied up on a future then I can flat out say there is less than a 1% chance you lose this bet. There is just no way that SC goes 6-6. Like VK said, make sure the SC. State game counts for O/U. Assuming it does, the absolute worst one could do is push.

article I pretty much agree with.

The Road Map To Nine Wins
posted by Scott Hood, 7/17/2007 11:30:00 AM

DAILY BLOG – TUES. 7/17/07 (NO. 1)

South Carolina has gone from five wins (2003) to six (2004) to seven (2005) to eight (2006) over the last four seasons. Naturally, that means the Gamecocks should win at least nine games in 2007. Here’s how they do it:

CONVERT THE LAYUPS: Louisiana-Lafayette and South Carolina State represent the two “cupcake” games on USC’s schedule this season. While Lafayette appears to be improving under former USC offensive coordinator Ricky Bustle, a native of Summerville, S.C., they shouldn’t provide much of a test for the Gamecocks. The S.C. State game means more to the Bulldog fans than it does to USC fans. The tailgating should be better than the game. Both games should play out similar to lopsided wins over Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee last season.

SPLIT WITH GEORGIA, LSU: It will be extremely difficult to win at both Athens (9/8) and Baton Rouge (9/22). USC will probably be happy with capturing one of the two games. The best chance to pull a road upset is likely the game against Georgia, which must replace several key players on defense and rebuild the offensive line. This may be USC’s best chance to beat the Bulldogs in Sanford Stadium since the dramatic last-minute win in 2001. LSU always has one of the most talented teams in the league, and this season is no different. It’s virtually impossible to overcome the Bayou Bengals at night on their home field in front of the frenzied crowd, so USC’s chances to pull out a win should improve if the game is played during the day.

SWEEP THE MIDDLE THIRD: This four-game stretch against Mississippi State (9/29), Kentucky (Thu. 10/4), North Carolina (10/13) and Vanderbilt (10/20) features teams USC should handle. It’s also one of the keys to a successful season. Three of the four games are at Williams-Brice Stadium. The only road game is against the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill at Kenan Stadium, which shouldn’t offer an intimidating atmosphere, especially since it follows road trips to Georgia and LSU. Steve Spurrier has advocated USC and UNC playing every year, so you know he’ll be ready for that one. The toughest opponent during this stretch might be improving Kentucky but the Wildcats have historically played much better at home than the road. The Wildcats have one of the top SEC quarterbacks in Andre Woodson and hopes are high under head coach Rich Brooks but the notorious UK defense is still among the worst in the league. USC should freely move the ball up and down the field.

SPLIT WITH TENNESSEE AND ARKANSAS: Two years ago, USC pulled off the daily double by posting dramatic wins at both Knoxville and Fayetteville. Can USC do it again? If they do, it will truly set up a magical season. If the Gamecocks have followed the road map to this point, they’ll invade Neyland Stadium on Oct. 27 with no worse than a 7-1 record. Talent-wise, this may be the closest USC and Tennessee have been in recent years. If the USC players stay composed in front of the 108,000 orange-clad fans, they’ll have a chance. It may require a few breaks like it did in 2005. There’s no mystery to beating the run-heavy Razorbacks: stop Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, Arkansas’ multi-talented backfield duo.

BEAT CLEMSON: It’s been 38 years since USC upended its arch-rival in consecutive seasons. How long has it been? Tommy Suggs, now USC’s color analyst on the radio broadcasts, was the starting QB for the Gamecocks the last time it happened. Depending on the outcome of the Florida game, the Gamecocks could enter this contest having already clinched a berth in the SEC Championship game. But the annual season-ending affair with the hated Tigers is a season within a season. Clemson must break in a new QB but that shouldn’t be an issue by the time Nov. 24 rolls around. They still have C.J. Spiller and James Davis, one of the top RB duos in the country. The USC defense should be better equipped to controlling Spiller and Davis than it was last season, when Spiller broke a couple of long touchdown runs.

Adhering to the road map will give USC no worse than a 9-3 mark entering bowl season. Nine wins should guarantee the Gamecocks a New Years trip to Florida for either the Outback Bowl in Tampa or the Capitol One Bowl in Orlando.

The last time USC won 10 games? It’s happened only once, in 1984 during the “Black Magic” season.

Mississippi State
Kentucky
@ North Carolina
Vanderbilt

You will choke one of these games away and go 6-6. I hate everything about your offense except the coach.

Dont be so damn sure about beating UK this year. I see the Cocks doing the same thing you are doing, looking at the game a little to over confident. The UK defense will surprise a few folks this year.:eyes:

Another UK fan here with me? That's good to know.

I hope UK wins just as much as you do, but the fact of the matter is, Spurrier is 14-0 lifetime against them and they haven't beaten SC in quite some time. I think UK has about a 25% chance to win that game.

Back