A dark day for Eagles fans...

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
Cards, Fitzgerald agree on deal that frees cap space

By John Clayton

The Arizona Cardinals and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald reached agreement on a blockbuster four-year, $40 million contract that will free up much-needed salary cap room for the team.

Fitzgerald announced the deal on his Web site, saying he will make $33 million over the first three years of the contract.
<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) -->
Over the final two years of his old deal, Fitzgerald was scheduled to make $14,592,500 in 2008 and $17,355,000 in 2009. That put the team in a tight cap bind -- with less than $400,000 of cap room remaining -- so signing players was tough until they struck a deal with Fitzgerald. They had only 48 players on their roster and only 16 players on defense.

The team was trying to find a way to convince Fitzgerald to sign a six-year deal. In the end, Fitzgerald got his way and signed a four-year deal.

Fitzgerald will receive a $15 million signing bonus Tuesday. His base salary will be $2 million, giving him a $17 million payout this year. He has a $5 million option bonus in 2009. Over the four years of his contract, he will receive $30 million in guarantees.

The new deal will save the team $8.842 million in cap room, dropping his salary cap number from $16,485,000 to $7,643,334.

Fitzgerald caught 100 passes for 1,409 yards and 10 touchdowns for the Cardinals last season. In 60 career games over four year seasons, all in Arizona, he has 330 receptions for 4,544 yards -- a 13.8 yards per catch average -- and 34 touchdowns.

an_brick.gif
an_brick.gif
an_brick.gif
an_brick.gif
an_brick.gif

Honestly, you scared me half to death. I thought B-Dawk was retiring or something.

I saw this this morning, and while it almost certainly takes him off the table, I still see possibilities to get something done. Be it still trying to talk trade for Fitz or Roy Williams, or looking at someone like Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett.

Now Hackett would worry me because he's not a number one, and that's what we need, and Johnson could be a gamble, but he's got the size and the potential.

I haven't given up hope just yet.

i thought andy reid or one of his kids died.

Yow, you took it even further than I did.

Sadly, where you went isn't unthinkable.

I thought Mcnabb got thrown under a buss.

It's all relative, I mean, if it was Jeanie not Jerry, he might not mind it all that much.

Im demoralized

I really thought we'd end up with Fitzgerald

Now I can see the Eagles being like eh well we tried!

Fuckin same old shit

I actually always thought Fitz was a long shot. I thought Moss was an even longer shot.

I don't think it's over yet. In part because we can trade Lito to make one of these things happen.

I'm not convinced Matt Millen is stupid enough to keep Roy Williams this year then lose him for nothing as an FA next year. And it's not as if Detroit couldn't use a solid corner and a draft pick to p*ss away on another WR.

Then there's Bryant Johnson. Unproven? Yeah, and that makes him a risk, but he's got the size, he'd have a good QB throwing to him, and if for some ungodly reason you decided to double him, Kevin Curtis would put up days like he had against Detroit.

The Eagles have tipped their hand, they are in the market. They'll get phone calls, hell, they may get one from Carolina about Steve Smith--whose price will be too high, but maybe they can grind it down to something reasonable.

I don't think they're done just yet--hell, if I was convinced he would pan out right away I might be happy if they took Manningham from Michigan in the draft.

roy is not going anywhere...at least this year. lions signed brian kelly and have bodden from the rogers trade...secondary has actually become strength.

Millen is a moron but with coletto running the offense ROy will be the feaured receiver..he and CJ will get a lot of passes this year.

Manningham doesnt do it for me - weve got enough michigan WRs on the roster...

Id love to get Williams, but I dont see it happening - somehow Matt Millen will f that up

Bryant Johnson can play a little and would be a nice pick up, but would obviously be a let down from the 'big name' standpoint - also hes a free agent and the insiders all claim the eagles have no interest in him whatsoever

Steve Smith - now thats something I could get behind...hes not the big receiver we need, but hes steve f'n smith and seeing a defense try to contain him and westbrook would be fun...i remember during the season hearing things about them potentially trading him in the off season, but havent heard one word about him now that we're actually in the off season...

Not that I want him, but its weird DJ Hackett is getting no love from anyone - his injuries must be scaring people off cuz when hes playing, hes pretty damn good

And just read this, which I will now wholeheartedly endorse!!

ANQUAN BOLTIN’?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2008, 10:32 p.m.

Now that the Cardinals have locked up receiver Larry Fitzgerald at a more affordable (or, as the case may be, less unaffordable) price over the next four seasons, they might have to deal with another thorny issue at the position.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Anquan Boldin could want more money and/or a trade in the wake of Fitzgerald’s $10 million-per-year contract.

Per Schefter, some in the Cardinals organization actually regard Boldin as the better wideout. But Boldin will make far, far less than Fitzgerald over the next three seasons — he’s due to earn base salaries of $2.5 million, $2.75 million, $3 million in 2008, 2009, and 2010, respectively.​

In our view, Fitzgerald and Boldin together is a luxury that the Cardinals don’t need, especially with coach Ken Whisenhunt presumably trying to bring a Pittsburgh-style power running vibe to the desert.​

Assuming that the Cardinals have a plan (which could be a dangerous assumption because we’re talking about, you know, the Cardinals), the huge deal given to Fitzgerald should be regarded as evidence that they’ve opted to keep Fitzgerald over the long haul, and to get what they can for Boldin.​

Throw in the fact that Boldin is represented by Drew Rosenhaus, and the stage is set for Boldin to start making noise about moving on.​

Possible destinations are Philly, Dallas, and the Redskins.​

have bodden from the rogers trade

Well, that's the truth because as I think we all know Bodden > the entire Lions' defense currently.

Boldin, eh? Yeah, well, I'll believe that when I see it.

It does seem possible, however, and for one reason: the fact that Boldin is represented by Drew Rosenhaus.

The problem? the fact that Boldin is represented by Drew Rosenhaus

But maybe.

As I said, I really don't think the Eagles are done yet. It's a long offseason.

I dont think they hold anything against rosenhaus...

Troy Vincent, Hugh Douglas, Stallworth, kearse, and McDougle are all Rosenhaus guys

granted none of em are on the team anymore, but i dont think theyd be stupid enough to eliminate someone just based on rosenhaus

I don't think they'd be stupid enough to, but we both know that TO situation didn't go well and part of that was Drew. Not only that, but as you said, none of those guys are with the team any more and many of them didn't have a tenure that ended all that well.

Like you said, I don't think it would be a deal breaker, but . . .

Back