8 weeks in, what did we learn so far?

I still don't know if LSU are good or not. They beat a good CUSA team in terrible conditions. Prior to that they beat 4 backup QBs in 4 weeks. before that beat a QB who is now a backup. They could be the best team in the country, they could be flat track bullies

We are a step closer to a washington state vs Iowa Rose Bowl

November in the Big 12 is going to be fun. Could easily end up with 3 or 4 1 loss teams

Missouri have scored 12 points in 3 games. I want to see a special Bowl game of Missouri vs Boston College, first offensive TD wins

It's the season of fucked up endings

1. I know Maty Mauk is a pain in the ass sucks as well, but Drew Lock can't move the ball to save his life either. At least when Mauk was sucking Mizzou found ways to win. Even when Lock has "looked good" he was completing 21 passes for 136 yards.

2. I know Texas is rapidly improving and looks better every week, but if K State can only score 9 combined points in 2 college football games in the Big 12 in 2015, I might have to stop auto playing Bill Snyder in conference games. Every positive trend and all the cerebral coaching acumen in the world can't save you if your players are slow, small, can't catch and can't throw.

3. Tennessee has 4 losses and Butch Jones in-game is Butch Jones in-game, but that is a heck of a 4 loss team. They are 1-3 in conference but I think you can make a case that they are better than everyone in the SEC on a neutral field other than Bama and LSU. (Arkansas might have a beef, but you get my meaning)

4. Wisconsin might be better off if Stave has to miss time. Houston made some bad throws against Illinois, but for a kid who got thrown into the fire on the road against a solid defense, he looked a hell of a lot better than Stave could have.

5. Houston is an absolute juggernaut, especially on the road. They played like crap for the better part of a half and still won by 49 points. Any idiot who avoids betting on them them when are now 14-1 in their last 15 ATS on the road just because the public was on them like a cheap suit (me) needs to have his head examined. I'm really looking forward to their upcoming games. Their game with Navy the Friday after TG will be a great under the radar one to watch.

6. Northwestern has one offensive play that works: Drop back to pass with Thorsen, hope the play breaks down and then close your eyes and hope he runs for 60 yards. Somehow this translated into 30 points. 90% of their plays gain 1 or zero or negative yards, but every once in awhile, it looks like Pat Fitzgerald has been livin' right.

One other thing I forgot.......How good would Pittsbugh be looking now if they still had James Conner?

2. I know Texas is rapidly improving and looks better every week, but if K State can only score 9 combined points in 2 college football games in the Big 12 in 2015, I might have to stop auto playing Bill Snyder in conference games. Every positive trend and all the cerebral coaching acumen in the world can't save you if your players are slow, small, can't catch and can't throw.

We're not that good, K-State is just terrible. I hate seeing Snyder go out like this. The OU / Texas result smells more and more as each week goes by.

Keep your eye on Texas / Iowa State this weekend. Night game in Ames, will be crazy. Paul Rhoads is fighting for his job. ISU got murdered by the refs in this game 2 years ago, and Rhoads has had this one circled for a long time.

No coach and program has received more hype for accomplishing less the last several years than Sumlin and Texas A&M.

The LSU - Alabama game will be a little different than usual in that the best two units in the game will be on the field at the same time head to head (Alabama defense, LSU offense).

Indiana qb impressed me, IU has played OSU and MSU tough. Don't let that MSU score fool you, was a 2 point game with 8 min to go

They ain't paying 2 coaches at once, not a replacement on the coaching staff, etc. will negotiate a buyout at end of year.

Bama OL play and play calling continue to be erratic. Perhaps one is the result of the other, you prob would have to be on staff to know, I just know it's painful at times to watch. First half play calling was awful in that game for Bama but second half was actually really solid, I think it had a lot to do with running the ball on second and medium. Tennessee impressed me. They plugged in two freshman on the right side of their OL and while the OL got beat much of the day as a group on pass pro, they did pretty will considering they are facing the top position grouping in the country. I would be inclined to look at Tennessee ATS prob each game from here on out this season. Really like their backfield on offense and none of the rest of their opponents have a passing game that will challenge their weak spots in the secondary.

Texas AM offensive performance yesterday was abysmal. Truly, it was as if I was watching the Missou offense. I don't know enough about them personnel wise but the QB they switched to wasn't a whole lot better than Allen, who either has to have a shoulder injury or he was about as silly as mistakenly overrated as Jamarcus Russell. I think their run game with Carson is a lot better than maybe even they realize and when Allen had missed his last 15 passes I was left wondering what in the world Sumlin was thinking. How that guy gets mentioned with top tier coaches astounds me. Thought Chavis did another nice job adjusting defensively, still doesn't have the horses yet though. Ole Miss played like a Top 10 team again yesterday. Their offense is nasty when they can consistently run the ball and you could see their commitment to do so. Not sure if Freeze just realized philosophically he has to do it to win in this league or if it was a byproduct of Tunsil being back in to maul. Either way, I think could be lined short at Auburn this weekend and after the way they played yesterday they may still present some value for another week against a team I think they match up really well against. Something to keep an eye on is the defensive health of Ole Miss. I believe they returned 8 starters from 2014 defense when they beat Bama and yesterday 3 of those same started the game. They are getting beat up and have elite talent as starters but haven't recruited and developed depth well enough yet. RK didn't play yesterday due to concussion but should be back this week and his role on offense should be done, one would hope.

Auburn is now 1-7 their last 8 SEC games.

A&M should put up statues of Manziel all around campus, and then put up more. He's a trainwreck to this day, but singlehandedly got that $450MM stadium renovation done. And, now, look what A&M is.

Bama OL play and play calling continue to be erratic. Perhaps one is the result of the other, you prob would have to be on staff to know, I just know it's painful at times to watch. First half play calling was awful in that game for Bama but second half was actually really solid, I think it had a lot to do with running the ball on second and medium. Tennessee impressed me. They plugged in two freshman on the right side of their OL and while the OL got beat much of the day as a group on pass pro, they did pretty will considering they are facing the top position grouping in the country. I would be inclined to look at Tennessee ATS prob each game from here on out this season. Really like their backfield on offense and none of the rest of their opponents have a passing game that will challenge their weak spots in the secondary.

Texas AM offensive performance yesterday was abysmal. Truly, it was as if I was watching the Missou offense. I don't know enough about them personnel wise but the QB they switched to wasn't a whole lot better than Allen, who either has to have a shoulder injury or he was about as silly as mistakenly overrated as Jamarcus Russell. I think their run game with Carson is a lot better than maybe even they realize and when Allen had missed his last 15 passes I was left wondering what in the world Sumlin was thinking. How that guy gets mentioned with top tier coaches astounds me. Thought Chavis did another nice job adjusting defensively, still doesn't have the horses yet though. Ole Miss played like a Top 10 team again yesterday. Their offense is nasty when they can consistently run the ball and you could see their commitment to do so. Not sure if Freeze just realized philosophically he has to do it to win in this league or if it was a byproduct of Tunsil being back in to maul. Either way, I think could be lined short at Auburn this weekend and after the way they played yesterday they may still present some value for another week against a team I think they match up really well against. Something to keep an eye on is the defensive health of Ole Miss. I believe they returned 8 starters from 2014 defense when they beat Bama and yesterday 3 of those same started the game. They are getting beat up and have elite talent as starters but haven't recruited and developed depth well enough yet. RK didn't play yesterday due to concussion but should be back this week and his role on offense should be done, one would hope.

that has been the knock on Freeze, to me. These 5' 8" scats aren't gonna cut it to win consistently in the league, as you say

6. Northwestern has one offensive play that works: Drop back to pass with Thorsen, hope the play breaks down and then close your eyes and hope he runs for 60 yards. Somehow this translated into 30 points. 90% of their plays gain 1 or zero or negative yards, but every once in awhile, it looks like Pat Fitzgerald has been livin' right.

They moved the ball up and down the field in the 2nd half. Yea the first half was a mess as you describe.

that has been the knock on Freeze, to me. These 5' 8" scats aren't gonna cut it to win consistently in the league, as you say

Yep, I think the scat back Walton is their best back but I do think it was smart to run the bigger guys 20 times yesterday. Ole Miss is just an erratic team. Defense is all world one game and then give up 30+ in 3 games. Hard team for me to read each week.

1. I guess the thing that stood out to me the most from yesterday was the QB play of TAMU Allen. This is a player who has looked decent most of the times I have seen him play but his effort yesterday (And quite frankly vs Bama as well) was mind boggling to watch. It was not just his inaccuracy, and by inaccuracy I mean missing guys by five yards on simple passes, but also his decision making. Allen throwing a wide receiver screen resembled a certain stretch of Chuck Knoblauch's career trying to throw to first base. But what I found especially stunning is that he had that look of a deer in headlights where the game was just coming at him faster than he was able compute in his brain. It was not as if the WR grouping for TAMU did him any favors either by getting open or by making big plays on the 50/50 balls but he was a special kind of bad yesterday and it goes beyond his opponent (who did play inspired defense).

2. Miami has too many good players for that to happen at home in a conference game. The players are basically begging for him to be fired as soon as possible when they put forth an effort like that. Arguably this team is underachieving more than any other team in college football this year and that is hard to do when you have a top quarter QB. Obviously he has to go, but I am thinking sooner is better than later for that program, while I did note Canes comment and money does play a role in these things.

3. UCF is a little banged up and just cannot play a lick of defense right now. They also wear down as the game progresses because of their lack of depth.

4. I know that the man has done a lot for the VT program and once upon a time he was a pretty darn good coach ... but that was a long time ago. Beamer should probably be able to go out on his own terms, and I am not advocating that the program fire him. However, as gamblers we need to realize that he just isn't a very good football coach right now and hasn't been for years. Though I am probably backing his team in the coming weeks so I guess I am an idiot.

5. Baylor isn't just crushing teams, they are toying with them. Bears were a disinterested bunch in the rain once they realized the game was in hand yesterday. I think when you beat this many teams this easily and badly, even if the opponents all suck, that you are probably pretty good. Horrible brand of football to watch as a fan but they look legit..... might have to start giving them credit. Interestingly, some would consider yesterday a bad performance for them compared to others but having watched the game, they could have named their score if they wanted to.

6. Reality of talent has set in for Kstate. Played way over their heads a couple weeks in a row and didn't get a result and now with season goals completely quashed they just haven't been able to ride emotion and their coaching to overcome the talent disparity. Should have taken Oklahoma against them knowing the spot was horrible and after being exposed like that, should probably have taken Texas against them too. But I have a drawer near my computer that probably has a few losing tickets in it (or a columnar pad) where i took the horns vs. kstate. Baylor next up for them .... ouch.

7. Some of the bigten officiating is getting a little bit out of hand. I had Michigan against MSU where I thought the officiating was abysmal not in its incompetence but in its apparent agenda. Yesterday, I had Indiana and thought that the Hoosiers got every call imaginable in that game (which I enjoyed) to the point of it also looking like an agenda. Of course down two a little less than half way through the fourth getting 16.5, I feel a little unlucky to have not cashed and that final score is a deceiving one .... but Indiana got every call. I just think the officiating looks like it has a predetermined slant to it in that league right now. I mention it because we are getting to the part of the season where conference interests come into play when handicapping games.

8. Terps have looked and played better since releasing coach.

9. Neb has five losses by a combined 13 pts or something like that. Players are chokers and the coaches haven't helped (choking themselves). Team is pretty good though and I have a feeling they will knock off either MSU or Iowa down the stretch. Almost certainly should have line value with this club down the stretch. Cubsker doesn't think they are any good though.

10. Remember when Purdue outplayed Marshall week 1 in defeat? Well the Herd have quietly gotten better since then (while playing nobody) and are now sitting at 7-1 with a decent ATS record to boot. Doing it with defense as they haven't found an adequate replacement for Cato.

11. Anyone feel bad for umass backers yesterday? It is not often that an underdog has a three score lead at halftime while getting three scores and loses ATS.

12. Tennessee is a good football team. You can back them down the stretch.

13. Utah has been overcoming so many bad decisions on the offensive play calling side. It caught up to them yesterday. I am at a loss for the strategy employed by the Utes in that game. Horrible. USC was the better team Saturday, no doubt about that .... but the offensive coaches just didn't gameplan or playcall the way they should have and it took away what should have been a close game in the fourth qtr for them to have a shot at it. Coaches dropped the ball.

I think the OL problem is complicated. There have been persistent rumors that Kiffin and Cristobal can't stand each other. Some of this is personal, but I think there's some philosophical differences there that make it worse. Kiffin calls audibles on nearly every play once we see what the defense is. The west coast offense has long somewhat complicated play names, so when we change the play and the resulting protection, something is missed. Last year, we had enough experience on the line that we could get the protection down pre-snap. This year we have 2 or 3 guys on seemingly every other play who have no idea who to block. But even with this, it doesn't appear that Kiffin is changing the way he calls plays, and Cristobal is failing to coach the guys up enough. Hopefully they figure out a solution during the bye.

I think the OL problem is complicated. There have been persistent rumors that Kiffin and Cristobal can't stand each other. Some of this is personal, but I think there's some philosophical differences there that make it worse. Kiffin calls audibles on nearly every play once we see what the defense is. The west coast offense has long somewhat complicated play names, so when we change the play and the resulting protection, something is missed. Last year, we had enough experience on the line that we could get the protection down pre-snap. This year we have 2 or 3 guys on seemingly every other play who have no idea who to block. But even with this, it doesn't appear that Kiffin is changing the way he calls plays, and Cristobal is failing to coach the guys up enough. Hopefully they figure out a solution during the bye.

That would make sense about there being some level of disconnect between them. I hadn't heard that but wouldn't surprise me. Ya that's the thing it's rare to get all 5 OL to block well and cohesively on a play. Seems that communication has been a problem, I know it has been a problem getting relayed from Kiffin to Coker to the team. Fortunately, LSU seems determined to give up 20 to everybody and I still remain steadfast that Bama's magic number on offense is 20 - pretty sure 20 gets wins all the way until the bowl game.

Indiana qb impressed me, IU has played OSU and MSU tough. Don't let that MSU score fool you, was a 2 point game with 8 min to go

Yeah he was real good. That is where you attack that Sparty defense and you can score a lot of points.

That game is one of the ole Phil Steele 'misleading' finals games, lol. IU had a FG to take lead in 4th qtr and lost by 26.

11. Anyone feel bad for umass backers yesterday? It is not often that an underdog has a three score lead at halftime while getting three scores and loses ATS.

Nope, I am mad at myself for not putting more on Toledo at halftime. That is one of those bets that comes up only a few times a year and is like free money.

-9.5 2h being a great bet is not exactly a disclaimer to feeling bad for anyone getting three scores who was ahead three scores at halftime finding a way to lose the bet. Don't disagree that it was a good bet of course.. but they can cover the 9.5 pt halftime spread and still lose outright by over a TD.... let alone cover a 14.5 pt spread.

-9.5 2h being a great bet is not exactly a disclaimer to feeling bad for anyone getting three scores who was ahead three scores at halftime finding a way to lose the bet. Don't disagree that it was a good bet of course.. but they can cover the 9.5 pt halftime spread and still lose outright by over a TD.... let alone cover a 14.5 pt spread.

Oh I know, I was just messing with yas.

Umass backers have to feel pretty hosed.

As do IU backers...

Kyle Allen got hurt in the Alabama game on a keeper. At the time looked like he had maybe broken his right collarbone. That wasn't the case. It doesn't completely excuse his poor play but he's not 100%.

Nope, I am mad at myself for not putting more on Toledo at halftime. That is one of those bets that comes up only a few times a year and is like free money.

It's the MAC, though, and -- worse -- it's Toledo, where they offer a major in point-shaving.

A&M just have me confused. The scheme worked in Houston and the first few years in the SEC. They have great recruits. Defense was the problem, but they recruited there and brought in an experienced coach with success in the conference. The Arkansas game showed early the warning signs. It's been bad for a couple of years. Was Jonathan Football really that good?

A&M just have me confused. The scheme worked in Houston and the first few years in the SEC. They have great recruits. Defense was the problem, but they recruited there and brought in an experienced coach with success in the conference. The Arkansas game showed early the warning signs. It's been bad for a couple of years. Was Jonathan Football really that good?
yes

I said it yesterday in the in-game. The power running game does not originate out of the shotgun. If you are going to run the ball, you need to let Henry get a head of steam going first.

[h=1]Of All The Aggie Problems Kevin Sumlin Must Fix, None Loom Larger Than Regaining His Team’s Trust[/h]October 25, 2015 11:36 AM By John P. Lopez Filed Under: aggies, Kevin Sumlin, kyle allen, kyler murray, quarterbacks
<section class="page-column two-column columns-left"><section class="column-item media-type-image" id="featured-media">
kyler.jpg

</section><section class="column-item" id="main-story">Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email More Sharing Services

<article class="article-bucket content"><!-- AddThis Button Begin --> By John P. Lopez
The Aggies are lost. They are a team with no clear direction or purpose.
This team might as well have driven to the airport in 70-different Uber cars for the flight to Oxford, rather than a team bus. That’s how many different directions they’re headed. And while these Aggies may be a lot of things, a team is not one of them.
That much became obvious in Saturday night’s 23-3 humiliation at Ole Miss. From the sad, blank stare on Kyle Allen’s face, to the confused, you’ve-got-to-be-kidding me look on Myles Garrett’s, it’s clear these Aggies are wallowing in confusion and turmoil.
Sure, there are Xs-and-Os problems that must be addressed — some more urgently than others.
Most notably:

• This is the worst-coached wide receiving corps I have ever seen in Aggieland, especially when you consider the talent at the position. Raw talent, in fact, is the only way receivers get open anymore. Say what you will about offensive coordinator Jake Spavital, but receivers coach Aaron Moorehead probably should be on the street, resume in-hand, yesterday. There are only nine patterns in a passing-game route tree. Aggie receivers have been awful in every way. It has become almost laughable how poor Aggie receivers go into routes, make cuts, use their bodies and have sloppy, if any technique in patterns.
  • Spavital should not be let off the hook by any stretch. In fact, his ridiculous insistence calling plays that suit him, rather than those that best-fit his quarterbacks’ skills, has crippled the offense. The next time Spavital calls for Kyle Allen to sprint left and throw across his body to the flat, he should be fired, too. Allen truly is an extremely talented NFL-type quarterback, no matter recent evidence to the contrary. But there are certain throws he simply cannot make. Meanwhile, why Spavital seems to believe Kyler Murray is nothing more than a Wildcat quarterback is baffling. Murray has every throw in the bag, but every time he’s been on the field his skill set has been handcuffed.
But those issues pale in comparison to the albatross hanging over the entire program. There is a divide and absolute distrust in the locker-room.
At the core of it all, of course, is players taking up sides on who should play quarterback and the mixed-messages Kevin Sumlin apparently gave both his five-star quarterbacks. And, by extension, the entire team.
The hard lesson Sumlin must learn from this is that, if he makes a promise, he’d better keep it. To the letter. Or better yet, don’t make awkward promises at all.
The reality of the dysfunction that came to life at Vaught-Hemmingway Stadium on Saturday night was that it was not just a bad game or poor coaching. It was the live-and-in-color manifestation of deep-seeded issues in the locker-room — trust issues that started long before the season even began.
When Sumlin closed the deal to sign five-star quarterback Kyler Murray, who legitimately changed his mind and was close to signing with the Texas Longhorns late in the recruiting process, he made Murray and his father, Kevin Murray, some kind of promise about playing time. Who knows exactly what that promise was, but multiple sources say promises were made.
But then five-star sophomore Kyle Allen won the job in camp and through most early games gained the majority of playing time. Tensions grew between Kyler Murray and Allen. Tensions also grew between Kyler and Spavital. Sumlin’s promise of how much playing time Murray would receive was at best misinterpreted by the Murray family or at worst was a promise that was not kept.
Hence, when Murray was yanked in the Alabama game after throwing an interception, he went full F-bomb on Spavital and his fate for the Ole Miss game was sealed. But the drama did not stop with the Aggie coaching staff deciding early last week not to play Murray in Oxford.
Murray apparently did not take a single snap with the first-team offense in practice and was told he would travel and suit out for the Ole Miss game, even though he would not play. Players began taking sides in the locker-room more than ever, some believing Allen’s physical (shoulder) and mental struggles should have opened the door for Murray to get a legitimate chance to make the team his.
Some players also believed Murray should have been left at home, rather than face the embarrassment of national television cameras focused on him any time Allen made a mistake. Then, the worst-case scenario happened. Allen wasn’t just bad. He was awful. And there was Murray, shamed on the sideline, for all the college football world to see.
For his own sake, Allen should have been pulled from the game after the first series of the second-half. Allen’s spiraling descent into the mental mess he was in the fourth-quarter was awkward, sad and uncomfortable to watch. Nowhere more so than on the Aggie sideline, where the divide only grew bigger among players.
Even though Murray deserved some kind of discipline, some players believed keeping him on the bench was a bad move by the head coach — especially after Allen’s struggles. Sumlin’s foremost job, after all, is to win games. Others also believed that if Jake Hubenak was going to play, why wait so long to put him into the game?
Thus, today Sumlin has a lot on his plate. The problems are numerous. Tactical and staff changes must be made. But losing games is one thing, losing his team’s confidence is something altogether more complicated and potentially damaging.
Today, Sumlin must gather his team and find a way, some way, somehow, to fix more than Xs and Os. He must mend fences. And regain his team’s trust.

</article></section></section>

Might be prudent to have a little speed on the FG team for those long kicks.....just in case.....

I learned that two of the greatest streaks in the history of college football are still going strong.

Mt. Union won its 100th consecutive regular season game this weekend, an NCAA record for all divisions.

They are still going strong and will most likely win out this year, and its doubtful their mark will ever be equaled. Mt Union is now 209-1 in their last 210 regular season games. They have won 11 national titles and have played in the title game the last 10 years.

Another small school power, D-III Linfield College in Oregon, extended what may be the most remarkable record in sports--they won to made sure they will have a winning season this year, the 60th year in a row they have accomplished this feat. No other school in any NCAA division is even close to their record. They have one national title.

Both schools--like all DIII schools--offer no athletic scholarships so they have to win with students who play for the love of the game.

Please let it be Kiffin to the canes. Miami need to be Miami again, and they can be with that arrogant douche in charge

Can Johnny Football go back to A&M? :rofl:

I saw about a quarter and a half of the A&M/ole miss game and I agree with almost everything with regards to the lack leadership and direction on the team. Not sure how/if that could be remedied during the season. Winning cures most issues though.

I learned that two of the greatest streaks in the history of college football are still going strong.

Mt. Union won its 100th consecutive regular season game this weekend, an NCAA record for all divisions.

They are still going strong and will most likely win out this year, and its doubtful their mark will ever be equaled. Mt Union is now 209-1 in their last 210 regular season games. They have won 11 national titles and have played in the title game the last 10 years.

Another small school power, D-III Linfield College in Oregon, extended what may be the most remarkable record in sports--they won to made sure they will have a winning season this year, the 60th year in a row they have accomplished this feat. No other school in any NCAA division is even close to their record. They have one national title.

Both schools--like all DIII schools--offer no athletic scholarships so they have to win with students who play for the love of the game.

good stuff tahoe:shake:

Back