5 weeks in, what have we learned in CFB?

Did not get to see much, as I was out of town dealing with some ARMY BS. Luckily, one of the guys had ESPN on his phone. So, watched A&M look like shit defensively. That team cannot be trusted as a big fave. Can’t convince me otherwise.

While driving home, I caught BAMA on the radio. Their defense, albeit better than the Aggies, did not fare well either. The QB run was extremely effective. Granted I did not see it, but the defensive end must not have been reading his ques and losing contain. Inexcusable, since every HS in the nation is running this offense. It is not like they have never seen this. Tua is going to Tua and he did it again. What else can you say about him and his receivers.

Arrived home to catch the end of Clemson. Huh? THE University of North Carolina, with a chance to win. Bad play call, but to be in that situation is amazing given the talent disparity on their sideline. Did Clemson sleepwalk, or did UNC figure out how to play 1Hs?

AU is for real. They literally shoved the Bulldogs faces in a pile of shit and spanked their asses simultaneously. Nix appeared to find a groove and was dropping dimes all over that secondary. Next up UF. Line is short at -3 in my opinion, but what do I know.

UCF plays like Oregon of the past. Get up big and cruise. I don’t think UCONN figured anything out. UCF gifted them TDS in the 2H.

UMASS is not the worst team in NCAA. They showed us that Akron holds that title. I know we all tuned in for that shitfest. Nothing further to report here.

Since I was up a 3:00 AM, loading a truck for a 2 hr drive to Mobile, Al, I fell asleep sometime around 8:00 PM. I’ll have to rely on you fine folks and boxscores to paint a picture of what I missed. Your turn CTG. What did ya’ll learn?

Last edited:
Since I was up a 0300, loading a truck for a 2 hr drive to Mobile, Al, I fell asleep sometime around 2000. I’ll have to rely on you fine folks and boxscores to paint a picture of what I missed. Your turn CTG. What did ya’ll learn?
You'll have to explain this to some members.

Admittedly I don't watch a ton of nebraska football but if Adrian Martinez has ever had a good game I've never personally witnessed it. He's light years away from where he needs to be if this team is going to come anywhere near preseason expectations.

Betting the PAC is extremely difficult. With the exception of maybe Wash and oregon and perhaps UCLA and oregon st. on the bottom end...these teams are all really, really similar from an overall talent perspective. I just don't feel like there's any edge to push here.

Bama's defense is simply not good enough to safely cover these huge spreads.

USC's wr's are good enough to backdoor you in any game they play for the rest of the season. This team isn't good but they're nowhere near as bad as I thought they'd be and much to my surprise they haven't quit (yet). They're gonna chuck it up all game no matter the score and try to ruin your life if you bet against them.

What on god's earth was Chris Petersen doing when he called that triple reverse option up 27-7 at midfield?

UNC...was the right decision but what a terrible play call to end the game. So disappointing.

This year's OSU team is FAR better coached than last year's squad. For those that think Urban is gonna stroll into wherever and win a NC...buyer beware. I really think he hit his shelf life.

Last edited:
The Alabama defense thing is largely losing contain on the perimeter, not tackling especially well, and not being in the right place. The last one is somewhat explained by the inexperience due to injury, so I would think that will improve somewhat. Losing contain can also be corrected, and I would imagine that will be a focus this bye week. Terrell Lewis looks like a 1st round pick in uniform, but he is almost as inexperienced as the freshmen due to his injury history. I wonder if the light will come on. The poor tackling is a concern. Not sure you can fix that in season. Will be especially pertinent against AU and UGA/Clemson if we face them.

Last week I defended Clemson in this thread. I said they have to be considered the number 1 team until they show us that they aren't, and I wasn't going to hold it against them that they weren't keeping their foot on the pedal in the 2h of games.

Welp, this game is proof that I was wrong. Clemson is not the number 1 team n the country. Bama is real good but they are vulnerable. If nothing else, it is cool that this season isn't a guaranteed Bama/Clemson final

If I had to rank based solely on this season, I would have Ohio St and AU as my top 2 in some order. Not sure I'd have Alabama or Clemson in the top 5 at this point

I've learned it's basketball season.....

No Sindelar or Rondale Moore on the depth chart at all for Purdue this week. That makes arguably the 4 players they nearly couldn't afford to lose at all...let alone all 4 (Moore, Neal, Bailey, Sindelar in that order). On to 2020....

As for Sindelar I think he's likely done for the year.

As for Moore I think he'll be back in a few weeks.

- Re: Ohio State coaching....noticed a very subtle thing that indicates Ryan Day is really dialed in. I made note of it watching the game Saturday night as it stuck out. Up 41-0, with the ball, 3rd and 3, in a meaningless drive, the Nebraska DE went deep into the neutral zone, and the OSU left tackle didn't react to draw the offsides. Fields threw an incomplete pass. ABC immediately panned to Day on the sideline and he was in the ear, hard, of his OC or someone else. You could see him saying, "We've gotta take that", as in the tackle has to react and draw the offside for the first down. Anyway, it stuck out.
- Good for SMU and Sonny Dykes. They have 65 new players this season (including scholarship freshman, walk-ons and transfers) and are ranked for the first time since the death penalty. I thought they'd be flat after the big win vs. TCU but not the case. Granted, they were playing USF, but still took care of business.
- The QB sneak is still the most underutilized play in the game, college or pro. Just don't understand, on 4th and 1/2 yard, why you start 4 yards back to begin with your QB not under center. Drives me nuts.

- Re: Ohio State coaching....noticed a very subtle thing that indicates Ryan Day is really dialed in. I made note of it watching the game Saturday night as it stuck out. Up 41-0, with the ball, 3rd and 3, in a meaningless drive, the Nebraska DE went deep into the neutral zone, and the OSU left tackle didn't react to draw the offsides. Fields threw an incomplete pass. ABC immediately panned to Day on the sideline and he was in the ear, hard, of his OC or someone else. You could see him saying, "We've gotta take that", as in the tackle has to react and draw the offside for the first down. Anyway, it stuck out.
- Good for SMU and Sonny Dykes. They have 65 new players this season (including scholarship freshman, walk-ons and transfers) and are ranked for the first time since the death penalty. I thought they'd be flat after the big win vs. TCU but not the case. Granted, they were playing USF, but still took care of business.
- The QB sneak is still the most underutilized play in the game, college or pro. Just don't understand, on 4th and 1/2 yard, why you start 4 yards back to begin with your QB not under center. Drives me nuts.

SMU is crushing it. First off, they went after o-line grad transfers. Such a smart move. These aren't guys who make ESPNs bottom line when they transferred, but suring up an O-line is probably the most important thing you can do for an offense.

They also adapted this technology that is awesome; its a machine that can throw the ball literally exactly where you want it to go and measures everything that happens. Its called Seeker. look it up; crazy. Gotta think every team is gonna have one within a few years

To throw salt in the wound with that bama backdoor was that before ole miss' final possession bama had an easy 4th down conversion which they dropped. They probably go in and score there and cover for those who had -37.5 or at worst they take a knee and those with -35 and below are cashing their ticket.

They showed saban's reaction when the wr dropped that 4th down pass...he was not happy.

Didn’t watch the game....saw boxscore.....they gave up 2 passes of 28 yards each to give up td......on back to back passes.....

Regarding OSU coaching: the dramatic change in the defense really shows you how bad bill davis and Greg schiano were last year. Davis was lb coach last year who was Urbans best man in his wedding and schiano is probably his other super close friend in coaching. Throw in the Zach smith debacle (Earle Bruce’s grandson) and it’s clear urban makes bad decisions when he involves his friends & family. I think urban gets back into coaching but wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen for a year or two...daughter just had a new grandkid and his son playing baseball at Cincy.

Regarding OSU coaching: the dramatic change in the defense really shows you how bad bill davis and Greg schiano were last year. Davis was lb coach last year who was Urbans best man in his wedding and schiano is probably his other super close friend in coaching. Throw in the Zach smith debacle (Earle Bruce’s grandson) and it’s clear urban makes bad decisions when he involves his friends & family. I think urban gets back into coaching but wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen for a year or two...daughter just had a new grandkid and his son playing baseball at Cincy.

He's not going anywhere and winning a NC if he continues with the nepotism/buffoon hires. You just can't get away with that in 2019.

He's not going anywhere and winning a NC if he continues with the nepotism/buffoon hires. You just can't get away with that in 2019.
I do agree with that. He does have a track record of making great hires too (Herman, great strength coach, Larry Johnson). Odd mix for sure.

I’m not surprised how dialed in Day is. New guy, trying to get his cred, establish his name and system at osu. A+ type personalities will do that. This is his show, not Urbans.

I am surprised at his blood bathes. Thought he’d be more tressel-ish and pull the dogs off. He’s not that at all to even my dismay. Pull Fields out. Pull Mumford out. There’s a few if we lose the season starts to swirl down.

I’m 50/50 on urban returning to the game. If I had to bet it, I’d say yes....in a few years when kelly heads to the nfl or gets run out of SB after b2b 8-4, 7-5 type seasons. And yes, he WILL/WOULD win a natty there or Lubbock or Lincoln. He burns out after year 5-6 or so.

Ill
Say it too. My eyes tell me Ohio St is the best team.

Wanna see it vs you know who to see if it is what I really think the most complete team

Not only did he do it once...he decided to make sure everybody knew he couldn't do 1st grade math and went for 2 down 9

I've seen many curious 2 pt conversion calls this year. I think coaches are taking the analytics thing too far.

Fitz talked about it at the press conference. Something about trying to win the game in regulation vs going to OT, not the decision I would've made.

Buffalo lost 20-34 at Mia(Oh) - Bulls were -4 TOs and outgained them 398-265 including 309 yards rushing!

Hawaii didn't turn the ball over for the first time this year. UH posted their 3rd largest margin of victory on the road, and did it in 39 degree weather.

Virginia lost 5 turnovers in 35-20 loss at ND while only being outgained by 5 yards.

Pitt beat Delaware 17-14 yet posted a 442 (5.8) - 170 (2.74) total yard advantage

Oregon State outgained Tree 501 (6.95)-353 (6.08) (no turnovers)

Georgia Tech at Temple was not a passing clinic (combined 23-57-300)

UAB outgained WKU 298 (4.25) -222 (4.18), but were -3 TO margin

Central Michigan outained Western Michigan by 7 yards yet lost by 16. This was thanks to Chips being SOD at the W09, 17 and 12 yard lines (plus CM lost 2 TOs to WM's 1). The teams combined for 30 penalties!

Buffalo lost 20-34 at Mia(Oh) - Bulls were -4 TOs and outgained them 398-265 including 309 yards rushing!

Hawaii didn't turn the ball over for the first time this year. UH posted their 3rd largest margin of victory on the road, and did it in 39 degree weather.

Virginia lost 5 turnovers in 35-20 loss at ND while only being outgained by 5 yards.

Pitt beat Delaware 17-14 yet posted a 442 (5.8) - 170 (2.74) total yard advantage

Oregon State outgained Tree 501 (6.95)-353 (6.08) (no turnovers)

Georgia Tech at Temple was not a passing clinic (combined 23-57-300)

UAB outgained WKU 298 (4.25) -222 (4.18), but were -3 TO margin

Central Michigan outained Western Michigan by 7 yards yet lost by 16. This was thanks to Chips being SOD at the W09, 17 and 12 yard lines (plus CM lost 2 TOs to WM's 1). The teams combined for 30 penalties!
Terrific, thank you.

Rice had 3 sacks vs LT (as many as they had in previous 4 games combined).

Rice missed a 36y FG (now just 4-of-8 on the year) and threw and INT from the L05 in the EZ).

In OT Rice had ball first and had to kick a FG (with their punter) and LT got the win with a TD.

Rice outgained them 338-294.

Here are some brief recaps for the teams tonight from last week's games:

East Carolina led 17-3 HT. Each team opened with FGs. ECU blk’d a punt for a TD then ECU got a 72y TD pass. ECU threw an INT and ODU ret’d it to the E10. ODU appeared to have a TD but QB Smartt fumbled just as he was crossing the goal line, real time it looked like a TD, but ruled a fumble on the field recovered by ECU and replay upheld that. ECU fumbled a punt to open the 3rd and ODU got a 3p 36y TD drive off that…17-10. A second Ahler’s INT was ret’d into ECU territory and ODU got a 6p 24y drive for FG out of that…17-13. ECU drove 8p 75y for TD 24-13, then ODU threw INT, but ECU’s 45y FGA was blk’d. ODU threw another INT at the E20 with 5min left. ODU scored TD with 2min left and ECU recovered the onside kick. ECU only had a 309-293 TY edge (5.4-4.1). ODU was 42% 3rd down to ECU’s 25%. ECU D did get 4 sacks (Futrell had 3), 11 TFL. Ahlers 8-21-202-2-2 (1 net rushing yard). Smart 20-30-203-0-2, leading rusher 22att-76-TD.

GT’s Oliver was about to put Jacket’s up 7-0 2nd qrt, but he fumbled as he was about to cross the goal line after a 15p 85y drive. Temple led 14-0 HT, then with GT driving in the 3rd, Temple D got a 74y scoop-and-score TD to lead 21-0. GT’s final 2 drives were INT in the EZ after a 9p 42y drive (Temple ret’d it 65 yards) and SOD at the T13 after a 7p 48y drive. GT was just 2-of-14 on 3rd down (Temple was 7-of-16).

ULL led throughout but muffed punts on back-to-back 1st H series and Georgia Southern got a FG and TD off just 23 total yards of offense making it a 7-6 and 14-13 games respectively. ULL stretched it to 24-13 3rd qrt in the 37-24 F. 440-252 TY edge for ULL.

South Alabama threw INT in EZ on first play of 2nd qrt following a 11p 62y drive for only TO of game. ULM did stretch lead to 30-10 4th qrt before USA scored with 3min left in 30-17 F. USA had 24-18 FD edge with 263-142 RY edge (5.1-4.4), but ULM outgained them 428-377 TY (7.5-4.8). Minter 19att-150, 4rec 44y.

General comments -

Two home dogs tonight...

Temple's O leaves alot to be desired, but their D is salty and ECU is error prone. I want to like ECU, but can not justify it.

Outside of South Alabama's game at Nebraska, they have been pretty poor. Worth watching just to see if Minter can put the entire game on his back. Georgia Southern hasn't played a good game yet either, only 252 yards vs good ULL team and 198 yards at Minny - they were nearly outgained by 200 yards each of their last 2 games. Maybe USA is their medicine? I don't know.

166 of New Mexico's 362 total yards came on their last 2 possessions (TD and SOD). Their other scoring drive was a 2nd qrt went 12 plays for 41 yards (52y FG). Liberty fumbled at the N03 after a 8p 55y drive and also missed a FG from the N14 after a 8p 76y drive.

Back