4/5 & 4/6 Bases -- Opening Day(s)

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
YTD: 0-0 ;)

Finally...the new baseball season is here. Took long enough, thx to the WBC. Anyhow, starting small with the wagers...while i get the feel of things again, etc.

ATL/PHI under 8.5 (-115) for a 1/2 unit
Lowe vs Myers

NYM/CIN over 7.5 (+100) for a 1/2 unit
Santana vs Harang

AZ -1.5 RL over COL (+140) for a 1/2 unit
Cook vs Webb

FLA -1.5 RL over WAS (+140) for a 1/2 unit
Lannan vs Nolasco

CHI/HOU under 8 (-115) for a 1/2 unit
Zambrano vs Oswalt

CLE/TX over 9.5 (-115) for a 1/2 unit
Lee vs Millwood

CWS -1.5 RL over KC (+160) for a 1/2 unit
Meche vs Buerhle

LAA -1.5 RL over OAK (+135) for a 1/2 unit
Braden vs Saunders

Couple things. Unless i note otherwise, i always set my wagers where the listed SPs must start...simply because the SPs are obviously a part of how i capped the game. Also, i always try to avoid laying chalk whenever/wherever possible...thus the run lines. Would much rather play +/- 1 RLs, only risking the tie...but they're not available. Anyways, about a -125 to -130 is the max chalk i'll ever lay on a game. But the W/L record isn't the end game...turning a profit is...and there's no quicker way to lose $ than laying a ton of chalk on big favs, being that even the best mlb teams only win at roughly a .600 clip.

Anyhow, not much for baseball writeups. Too many games, every single day...and honestly, it only contributes to what can quickly become a grind. But (oh so) quickly, since it's opening day...

Like Lowe to keep the Filly's off the scoreboard...just don't trust the Bravo bats enough to back them, even against Myers.
Both Santana and Harang have bad splits here...and after last year, Harang needs to prove he's a decent SP again.
Webb owns the Rocks, who i think are going to really struggle again this year. Better team, better SP...and they're at home.
Can the Nats do worse than last year? Prolly so...as it's hard to find any light at the end of the tunnel for them. Hate Lannan, love Nolasco too.
Kinda like the Stros, but couldn't trust their pen here. Love the SP matchup tho, as i see both keeping the opposing bats in check.
Expecting Lee to have a fairly big regression this year. TX can hit, but it's the same old story with their starting pitching.
KC has some bright spots in their future. CWs will fall back a bit this year as well. But like them here, in a series rarely decided by just 1 run.
No one had a better spring than the Halo bats. Hope it carries over into the reg season, against a very soft-tossing lefty in Braden. Saunders doens't miss many bats either...but he had a briliant april last year...and there's not much to worry about in the A's lineup, other than Holliday.

Well, let the marathon begin. GL :tiphat:

Good luck this season and hope you put a '27' up there when it's over.

:cheers:

2009 Prediction: Champagne in the Bronx

The season is upon us, so now seems seems like a good time to ask how you think the Yankees will do. Vote in the poll over to the right.
Last year at this time, I predicted the Yankees would not make the playoffs. The lack of pitching depth and the transition to a new manager seemed like to much to overcome. Given all the injuries, it was remarkable they won as many games as they did.
This year? I like the Yankees getting to the World Series and beating the team they just played, the Chicago Cubs. Here is why:
Pitching: In CC Sabathia, Chien-Ming Wang, A.J. Burnett, Andy Pettitte and Joba Chaberlain, the Yankees can send a quality starter to the mound every day. Meanwhile Phil Hughes is waiting in Scranton along with the capable Alfredo Aceves.
Defense: Swapping Mark Teixeira for Jason Giambi and Xavier Nady for Bobby Abreu will make the right side of the diamond far less of a black hole than it was. Robinson Cano also appears to have overcome the lethargy he played with for much of last season. Having Brett Gardner in center also will improve the defense. The Yankees are far from a good defensive team, but they are much better than they were.
Offense: The Yankees will miss Giambi and Abreu here. But having a healthy Jorge Posada, a relatively healthy Hideki Matsui and Teixeira should overcome that. Nady and Johnny Damon will be motivated by their walk years. It’s hard to gauge what Alex Rodriguez will do given his injury, the drug questions and his turbulent personal life. But he could well have a huge year.
The manager: Joe Girardi first season was rocky, which was to be expected. He is far more relaxed this season and it helps that five key newcomers — Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira, Gardner and Nick Swisher — have no ties to Joe Torre. The more the roster turns over, the easier it becomes for Girardi to put his imprint on it.
Depth: The Yankees had a variety of useless players on the bench last season. Now, instead of Morgan Ensberg, Wilson Betemit and the like, they’ll have Swisher, Meky Cabrera and an actual good glove in Ramiro Pena. Girardi has options now.
The schedule: The AL East is a bear. The Yankees, Red Sox and Rays are arguably the three best teams in the game. If the Yankees survive that, they’ll a tough out in the playoffs. The rest of the AL is not very imposing with the Angels a lesser team than in recent years and the AL Central a jumble.
Prediction: 98-64, first place in AL East.
As for the rest of baseball:
AL East
Yankees
Red Sox
Rays
Orioles
Jays
AL Central
Indians
Royals
Twins
White Sox
Tigers
AL West
Angels
Athletics
Rangers
White Sox
Division Series
Yankees over Indians
Red Sox over Angels
ALCS
Yankees over Red Sox
NL East
Phillies
Mets
Braves
Marlins
Nationals
NL Central
Cubs
Brewers
Cardinals
Reds
Astros
Pirates
NL West
Dodgers
Diamondbacks
Giants
Rockies
Padres
Division series
Phillies over Dodgers
Cubs over Mets
NLCS
Cubs over Phillies
World Series
Yankees over Cubs
Awards
AL MVP: Mark Teixeira, Yankees
AL Cy Young: Daisuke Matsuzaka, Red Sox
AL Rookie of the Year: Elvis Andrus, Rangers
AL Manager of the Year: Trey Hillman, Royals
NL MVP: Alfonso Soriano, Cubs
NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb, Diamondbacks
NL Rookie of the Year: Stephen Strasberg, Nationals
NL Manager of the Year: Lou Piniella Cubs
<script type="text/javascript">SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "2009 Prediction: Champagne in the Bronx", url: "http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/04/06/2009-prediction-champagne-in-the-bronx/" });</script>
Posted by Peter Abraham on Monday, April 6th, 2009 at 12:01 am |

Back