4/25 (first thread of the year)

Ale10

Pretty much a regular
I capped baseball of course, but didn't post my bets so far. I decided to begin today.

First of all, i rarely lock a play until the starting lineups come out. The only case i do it if t think the odds will fall.

My early thougts for today:

Mets/Rox: i looked at the over 9 because the offenses struggled in the first two matches and two mediocre pitchers will take the mound. But i don't like a lot of things now. I don't like Welke as a HP ump. I don't like that Fogg pitched well before his last outing. I don't like the fact that the Rockies never faced Pelfrey. And i don't like the weather situation. Btw, i still think the Mets offense will come alive today, so a Mets team total over or Mets RL could be the play.

Cubs/Brewers: i saw Lilly twice this year, and he is pitching very well. I like the Cubs to avoid the home sweep. I like the fact a lot of people like the Brewers with Sheets. I think that Ben is a very good pitcher though, but something is wrong with him. I didn't see him pitching this year so far, but he has 12 Ks in 27 IP. That's very low for his standards. Villanueva won't be avaliable this afternoon, and Turnbow threw a lot of pitches yesterday. The good news for Cubs backers: Eyre threw in the first the matches, so most likely he won't pitch today.

O's/Red Sox: the Orioles surprised me, really. Not how they are hitting, or they starting pitching, but their bullpen. They are pretty good. Cabrera is a good pitcher, he could dominate, but this year he takes some hits to not walk batters, at least it seems to me. He has very bad numbers against Boston, career over 9 ERA, and a lot of batters has his number, especially Alex Cora. :D On the other side, Schilling has to rebound from the Yankees match where he gave up 5 runs. (the rally against Rivera saved him) He has a career 4.00 ERA against Baltimore, but most importantly, he has some great numbers against home batters: Mora, Roberts, Patterson and Payton are each hitting under .200 against him. Lean: Boston.

Yanks/Blue Jays: i know i will look like a public guy on this one, but i think the Yanks will rake up a lot of runs in this 2-game series. I'm sure they will destroy Towers tomorrow and i'm almost sure they will hit Burnett hard today. Jeter is fine and he will play today. Abreu, Cano, Jeter, A-Rod and Mientkiewicz are all above .300 against A.J. My only worry about the offense is Damon, who didn't have an extrabase hit in the last 7 days and struggling against Burnett too. He has to set the table. Pettitte is pitching well this year, but a lot of Blue Jays has great numbers against him, including Bug Hurt and Vernon Wells. Lean: Yanks team total over possibly.

Tribe/Rangers: the Indians are red hot right now (heck, they beat Johan at home with Carmona on the mound) and they have huge numbers against Padilla, altough in limited ABs. Martinez 4/8 (3 doubles), Nixon 4/8 (2 doubles, 1 hr), Peralta 4/9 (1 hr), Sizemore 3/7 (1-1 double, triple and hr), Garko 2/6, Hafner 1/4. He has a career 7.54 ERA, 1.85 WHIP and .323 baa against Cleveland and 6.88 ERA this year in 3 away games. He has 13 walks and 6 strikeouts this year. On the other hand there will be big C.C. Sabathia, the ace of the Cleveland rotation. No Ranger hit him better then .333 lifetime, he owns a lot of them. He has a respectable 2.25 ERA in 2007, 1.20 in 2 home starts. He has 7 BBs and 27 Ks. Lean: Cleveland RL, Cle TT over

More to come later

Good thread and welcome to the forum.. Good Luck...

Few things:

I am looking at the Mets Over and want to play it bad but holding out for 9 as the number..

What is wrong with the weather in NY? I am showing cloudy but really its not suppose to rain at 1:00 at all, there is a 10% chance of precipitation at game time..

Josh Fogg might have pitched ok the start before last but he is pitching on 4days rest vs a team that smacks him around...

I agree, I don't like that the Rockies haven't seen Pelfrey and that the homeplate umpire's strikezone is huge.

I lean BoSox as well
I won't go near another Cubs game
I am looking at Indians RL also

Once again, GL

Hey

weather.com says 30% chance of precipitation at game time. And there is a 7 mph wind blowing in. I know it's light, but if i'm on the over i would rather take that 7 mph blowing out. :)

I will wait for the starting lineups, but there is a very good chance that Lo Duca will take the day off, for expamle. (7-for-16 against Fogg)

Hey

weather.com says 30% chance of precipitation at game time. And there is a 7 mph wind blowing in. I know it's light, but if i'm on the over i would rather take that 7 mph blowing out. :)

I will wait for the starting lineups, but there is a very good chance that Lo Duca will take the day off, for expamle. (7-for-16 against Fogg)

I don't know but I looked at an hour by hour forecast and it showed me 10% at 1:00pm

Oh I know just pointing out I don't think it will rain..

I trust weather.com as much as I would trust a hooker though..

You made a sound point about Lo Duca, I would like to have him in the lineup but I just feel that Fogg gets crushed today..

If the Rockies can get 3-4 runs I think this things def going over.

Few more thing about CLE/TEX:
- The Rangers are dead last in the league with a .181 batting average against lefties
- no Gagne for the Rangers of course
- only worry: no Dellucci for Cleveland

Pick: Cleveland Indians -1,5 (@ 2.060, pinnacle) - risking 2,5 units

PHI/WAS:

The Phillies are red hot. "Only" Utley and Howard are struggling, but Utley is starting to get his shit together and Ryan could hit one out anytime. The Nationals are struggling, they are losing match after match. Patterson is playing well below his standards, he didn't make it to the 6th inning yet. He said after his last match (against the Phillies too) that his right arm feels tight, sapping speed -- as much as 10 mph off his fastball: "It's not even close. I'm having to swallow a lot of pride right now."

On the other hand, Lieber was solid against a Cincy lineup which is more solid then Washington's. They have a not too bad bullpen now with Myers. Ruiz starting tonight in the playe of Barajas, that's great news for the offense.

Pick: Phillies -1,5 (@2.080, pinnacle) - risking 2 units

STL/CIN:

In Bronson Arroyo I trust, in Braden Looper i do not.

Arroyo has a 0-2 record on the year, the Reds lost all of his 4 starts. And that's not on Arroyo, but on his offense. He has a .325 ERA, 8/21 BB/KK in 27 innings of work, allowed only 1 hr. He owns almost all of the Cards, excluding Chris Duncan and Eckstein.

On the other hand, Braden Looper is pitching far over the expectations. 2.08 ERA after 4 starts, i almost cann't believe it. But i think today the big left-handed bats (Hamilton, Griffey, Dunn) will hurt him. Pujols is dealing with a sore knee, but he will play.

Pick: Reds ML (@2.23, pinnacle) - risking 2 units

Back