4/1 MLB

scdoggy

Moderator (Honorary)
MLB Exhibition 2013: 34-21-1 +19.56 units
Regular Season 0-0

Dipping my toe in the water today on two plays. Trying to take the grapefruit and cactus momentum and do something with it:

Bos/NYY Over 8 -105 one unit

CC has a lifetime ERA of 4.29 vs. Boston, and they've added some bats who do well vs. LHP. I expect both teams to get their share today, and with the wind blowing out, even in this cool weather I'll bite on a -105 price.

SF +135 one unit

I said during exhibition that I will look to go against LA, quite a bit this season. While this looks like a dream team on paper, we all know that won/loss records rarely equate to what teams appear to be based on the names on the backs of jerseys. I'll take Cain at +135 against anyone in the league, anywhere, anytime.

I get the play on Cain but I'd love to hear your thoughts on fading the Dodgers if you have the time doggy. Is it mainly based on over inflated lines due to public perception? I am quite the homer but I'd like to think I have an objective view on them and I've got them winning 90+ games.

Thanks guys.

CDS - I actually root for the Dodgers more than any team except my O's, but they are going to be overvalued in almost every game this year, and they have question marks in the place where most games are won/lost - their pen. And with the injury to Hanley, I don't really like much about their infield other than Adrian. Coming into this season, they appear to be the most overvalued team in the league. Not to mention I find myself shaking my head at many of the decisions of Donnie Baseball. With him being unsigned after this year, he knows its his ass if they don't make it to at least the NLCS. Some people respond well to pressure like this, but many don't. As a guy without a ton of coaching experience I'm not sure Mattingly will rise to the top here.

Thanks guys.

CDS - I actually root for the Dodgers more than any team except my O's, but they are going to be overvalued in almost every game this year, and they have question marks in the place where most games are won/lost - their pen. And with the injury to Hanley, I don't really like much about their infield other than Adrian. Coming into this season, they appear to be the most overvalued team in the league. Not to mention I find myself shaking my head at many of the decisions of Donnie Baseball. With him being unsigned after this year, he knows its his ass if they don't make it to at least the NLCS. Some people respond well to pressure like this, but many don't. As a guy without a ton of coaching experience I'm not sure Mattingly will rise to the top here.

Interesting take doggy, thanks for the response. First off I actually disagree completely on the issue with the pen. I could be way off but the pen is actually quite strong. They have two guys who can easily close on any given day in Jansen and League. They have Guerrier and Belisario for short stints and it looks like Capuano and Harang will be moving to the pen for long relief. They also have a young lefty named Paco Rodriguez who they are pretty high on. You are pretty spot on about the infield without Hanley but two things that shouldn't be overlooked are the emergence of Luis Cruz last season and the sheer number of platoon players they have on the bench. Last point about Donnie is understood as well but I kinda like his managing. What he went through in the last couple seasons with that team is pretty much unpresidented with the forced sale and the McCourt mess. The way the team played down the stretch last year was no doubt fostered by his management. They will no doubt be one of the over valued teams to begin the season and I understand your thinking there. One last thing.....keep an eye on Carl Crawford. He has quietly had a kick ass spring and his bat appears to me to be in great form. If he stays healthy he could have a great year.

Yep CDS - I like Crawford a lot and think he fits well into the Dodgers style of play. As for the pen, I like League and know all about Paco. Not sure I share your enthusiasm on Jansen, and don't like the fact that they are moving Capuano and the Great White Ape to the pen. I can't tell you how many times I've ben on both of these guys and they came out with a dreadful first inning. They don't seem like the type of guys who would do well in the move to the pen. It seems like more of a reaction by Mattingly of "there's no room for these two in the starting rotation, so I'll put em in the pen." Not sure I like this bullpen by default idea.

We'll see - I'd be perfectly content to see them meet all expectations this year, but I just don't see it happening.

Atlanta -103 one unit (Listing Hudson)

Braves should be the fave here, and while not by much, I'll take a shot at them at a decent price.

Back